Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Brentford v Nottm Forest Reports and Reaction

One of those days as they say. They also say in sport that these kinds of performances and defeats can tell you a lot more about the team and players than scraping a win and papering over the cracks.

Joined in Jan 2012
    From Bingley, West Yorks
    1,128 Posts
    189 Likes for 120 Posts
    Positives: 2 goals from short corners. Mojo, Watkins and the Badger look the business.
    Beaten today by two wonder strikes (won't see that too often and when we organise our defence better) and lady luck was with the other side and our ex-manager.
    Slow start, but I'm confident that we'll hit better form soon and not so many points adrift with so many draws.

Joined in Oct 2009
    From brundall norwich norfolk
    786 Posts
    233 Likes for 129 Posts
    Even accepting that we played, imo, our weakest centre back combination and Woodsy was unavailable (hopefully purely for the declared personal reasons) I think we will have to ready ourselves for many more high scoring games which could swing either way.

Our coaches see incapable of sorting out an incredibly porous defence and Dean Smith seems to have no idea of what our most effective team is.

Flo Jo was very, very poor and withdrawn far too late and either (or both) Sawyers and/or Watkins must start. Hopefully Canos will be available for Tuesday but we have become used to apparently minor injuries turning into long term issues.

We lost, deservedly, to a distinctly average side and if nothing else the past week will hopefully have knocked, if it existed, any arrogance out of the squad - and perhaps brought some realism to our pretensions this season. I'm sure we will improve hugely and a top ten finish is a realistic aim - anything above that will be a bonus.

4. 1 user(s) liked this post
    King John (13th August 2017)
    Joined in Apr 2000
    From Chandlers Ford, Hants.
    9,505 Posts
    1,690 Likes for 702 Posts
    Very disappointed with the game and the atmosphere yesterday.

I really didn't enjoy any part of it - I suppose it's very early days and it could take a while to bed in the new players and get things going.
    I'm on holiday until the end of August and when I return I fully expect us to have:

- our best defenders starting the game
    - Watkins starting the game
    - Josefzoom being used as an impact sub
    - Sawyers starting the game
    - Maupay replacing Vibe
    "Disgusting animals inhabit that stand"

6. 4 user(s) liked this post
    Bill Benn (13th August 2017), Headbee (13th August 2017), lanzabee (13th August 2017), RoyBee (13th August 2017)
  7. Quote Originally Posted by reg partridge View Post
    I can't believe we lost that. First 40 minutes we battered them and deserved the lead. A great volley and a fortunate rebound off the post and suddenly we were 2-1 down.
    Slow start to second half saw them hit another blinder and we were always chasing after that. We didn't get any luck with deflections and rebounds and the end to end stuff
    could have easily finished 5-5. A few half decent chances that went begging and we created a lot mainly down the right through Dalsgaard. We will play worse and win. Defence
    was poor today. Bjelland gets turned too easy and Henry had his worst game for us. Jota non-effective as was Vibe. Subs made an impact but too little too late.
    Summed up perfectly. We are amazing going forward. Only negative was Jota played like a departee. Such is life as Watkins and Maupay look amazing. Good times coming. Over to you MrSmith

After the first two games of our Warburton Play off Championship season we had 1 point from 6.

We now have 0 points from 6. 1 (one) behind that total.

Perspective please!

Quote Originally Posted by ruislip bee View Post
    I could see it was a clear goal from the halfway line! Good to see the technology works though.
    Yes but the linesman / ref's assistant clearly didn't see or give it so without the GLT we would have been denied a clear goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brentford Bob View Post
    Very disappointed with the game and the atmosphere yesterday.

I really didn't enjoy any part of it - I suppose it's very early days and it could take a while to bed in the new players and get things going.
    I'm on holiday until the end of August and when I return I fully expect us to have:

- our best defenders starting the game
    - Watkins starting the game
    - Josefzoom being used as an impact sub
    - Sawyers starting the game
    - Maupay replacing Vibe
    Me too. Off tomorrow. I return just before the window closes. Agree with each point and would add all the present squad are retained. Sadly I think my point is the most difficult to fulfil.
    Billericay Bee

Quote Originally Posted by brundallbee View Post
    Even accepting that we played, imo, our weakest centre back combination and Woodsy was unavailable (hopefully purely for the declared personal reasons) I think we will have to ready ourselves for many more high scoring games which could swing either way.

Our coaches see incapable of sorting out an incredibly porous defence and Dean Smith seems to have no idea of what our most effective team is.

Flo Jo was very, very poor and withdrawn far too late and either (or both) Sawyers and/or Watkins must start. Hopefully Canos will be available for Tuesday but we have become used to apparently minor injuries turning into long term issues.

We lost, deservedly, to a distinctly average side and if nothing else the past week will hopefully have knocked, if it existed, any arrogance out of the squad - and perhaps brought some realism to our pretensions this season. I'm sure we will improve hugely and a top ten finish is a realistic aim - anything above that will be a bonus.
    Top post there mate.Not the time to panic, But I also fear Dean Smiths rotational team selection,You find your strongest eleven Play them and let the others fight their way into the team. Changing it every week will lead to an inconsistent team imo.
    If my posts offend, then please do not read them. they should not be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by gbems92 View Post
    You can't keep saying the two worldies were lucky.
    He was very lucky that Eganīs weak header didnīt even clear the defensive D, setting the Forest cb up for a sweet volley. Well executed for sure, but lucky to have been gifted the chance. It wasnīt of Forestīs making.

13. I really wanted to win this, probably more so than I have for any games for a long time. Feel pretty rubbish now but not as bad as expected after losing. We dominated patches of the game and lost to inadequate clearances and luck/worldie strikes. Think Josh needs the space Moko will create once up to speed, but he also needs the runs. Good to see the CBs scoring.

We had a good team end of season, but with HD and SC not being available had to have changes. Josh looked mustard in pre-season, but had time and the runs being made. But he is looking a bit of a luxury when the gaps aren't there. You would have expected a more open style from MW team, so see why Dean went with the team he did. I wanted Sawyers to play, but it seems if you want Josh you have to have Moko. Before yesterday Moko didn't seem ready.

I just think the 120 minutes Tuesday and unavailability understandably influenced DS selection. Hopefully Tuesday will be better, but I am now prepared for six losses before it starts to come together. I would want Sawyers and Watkins to start Tuesday. If Dean available then with Barbet. The diagonal ball from both is a dangerous move against opposition and has been missed. I also hope Woods is available and for all the right reasons. Teams need to fear us and a few more results like the first two and they won't.

Very disappointed with the home attendance. Big patches of empty seats in the New Road. Couldn't see how Braemar looked as I was in it. I feared a highly charged atmosphere, but not even close.

Everything dropped for them, not much dropped for us. Their post strike bounced favourably for a tap in, our two post hits went out for goal kicks. Their long range shots flew into the top corner, ours hit the post again. Deflections went their way, they didn't go ours. There was a lot of randomness in that game that screwed us. If you score 3 at home, you should win but I do feel defensively we were poor - crap clearances cost us two, and poor closing down cost us two more.

That said, I still think we're starting far too slowly against inferior teams. We did it last season., we're doing it again this. We don't have the urgency and determination to put the game to bed as early as possible - we lack composure and drive all over the pitch, need far too many opportunities to score, etc. We've had 62 attempts so far this season, but converted just 6 of them. We're creating but completely lacking the composure/focus to finish them off.

We've played a team just promoted from L1, a L1 side and a team who narrowly escaped relegation last season - we've lost every first half so far(1-0, 1-0 and 2-1) and that speaks volumes about how we're mentally approaching each game. I really don't think DS is putting out our most effective teams. Of course we're being hamstrung by various contract issues, but I'd rather be picking up points at this stage than prioritising those players who aren't in contract situations.

Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,351 Posts
    3,315 Likes for 1,805 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guildford Bee View Post
    Yet his defending for their fourth was woeful.
    Yes including Jota and then the rest of the defence who, like most of the day, done little in clearing the ball or tackling in/around the box
    Enjoy yourself. We're following the Bees..............

Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lanzabee View Post
    And Dean, Barbet. Colin, Woods etc. Time to start putting our strongest eleven on the pitch, not the bench.

17. 1 user(s) liked this post
    King John (13th August 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post

Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by banburybee View Post
    Summed up perfectly. We are amazing going forward. Only negative was Jota played like a departee. Such is life as Watkins and Maupay look amazing. Good times coming. Over to you MrSmith
    Agree.

But on behalf of Island Bee , you can't insult Jota like that

20. Poor defence. Can't understand why our best two centre backs were on the bench. If Harlee wasn't playing because he's off, why put him in the bench? How Barbet can be left out is odd, to say the least. Let's hope he's not off, too.
    Watkins is a bit special isn't he?

21. 2 user(s) liked this post
    Delbee (13th August 2017), lanzabee (13th August 2017)
  22. Quote Originally Posted by reg partridge View Post
    I can't believe we lost that. First 40 minutes we battered them and deserved the lead. A great volley and a fortunate rebound off the post and suddenly we were 2-1 down.
    Slow start to second half saw them hit another blinder and we were always chasing after that. We didn't get any luck with deflections and rebounds and the end to end stuff
    could have easily finished 5-5. A few half decent chances that went begging and we created a lot mainly down the right through Dalsgaard. We will play worse and win. Defence
    was poor today. Bjelland gets turned too easy and Henry had his worst game for us. Jota non-effective as was Vibe. Subs made an impact but too little too late.
    I'm quite staggered you can't believe we lost! The only time we looked better was towards the end with Watkins on.
    Awful central defensively, with an anonymous central midfield, we were not unlucky to lose.
    Jota wasn't completely ineffective he just did the same as usual gliding past people looking for an option but couldn't find one.
    I don't think Henry was that bad, a couple of not great moments, but he was being run ragged with little assistance. Dalsgaard decent in attack but rarely gets help to cover if he's contributing to the attack.
    Our worst performer of the day apart from central defence was DS who did his usual watch while Rome burns.....I would have said fiddled but he didn't even do that

(PS what's going on with the smilies - that one suddenly was massive on my screen!)
    Last edited by IDontBeeLieveIt; 13th August 2017 at 11:37.

23. Quote Originally Posted by reg partridge View Post
    -Excellent summary Reg. I thought that the reason Bjelland was slow was because he wasn't fit but he has had plenty of time to get fit and a pre-season. His lack of pace is a problem. Barbet must replace as Dean going. We need to buy an experienced warhorse defender and one more striker in my opinion.

24. I agree and If our manager knows his football and knows what he is doing( Bjelland is not at this level any more as he is always caught out for pace)which he has not convinced me yet. Lets be honest, If Jota didn't come back in the middle of last season, we would have been in the bottom tier of the table. He was the catalyst.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    I'm saying the ongoing contract issue with him has made him unavailable . Who knows, maybe more to it behind the scenes, why else wouldn't the captain play, even at wimbledon in the league cup he wasn't captain.
    Colin has been class for us but also see why Dalsgaard is playing, as per my post.
    I've said Watkins and Maupay have to start. I said Vibe was poor today.
    With a regular run our Egan will come good. That injury to Bjellend the other year could be a big set back for him.
    Bjellend is a great passer and has skill but not enough pace for this division. I saw him in his first game when he got injured against a L 2 club in the Coca cola competition and he didn't know what hit him with the pace running at him. Egan was fantastic at the beginning of last season and then lost confidence. Hopefully, his goal will get him back to that level. Henry is good but his weaknesses were on display yesterday. We lack height at the back and we say this every year but we persist with small defenders. Colin is the best right back in the division and I assume that the only reason that he didn't play him is the birth of a sibling or he wants a big money move like Jota. Why not play him; will come to light. I am not a fan of our manager who is easy to see how we play, doesn't make decisions fast enough, always puts on subs in the 67 70 minute time frame. We need experience and youthful gambles. Very impressed with Watkins skill and attacking midfield play. Maupay took his goal well and could work out well. To be consistent, I keep saying that we need an experienced striker surrounded by the youthful prospects and Vibe an impact sub I agree Mac is a luxury. It is going to be along season as our defence is a shambles now.
    Last edited by King John; 13th August 2017 at 12:03.

26. Quote Originally Posted by waster View Post
    Same old same old with defence. Good individual players but poor tactics and set up. Same as last season. We defend too deep and too narrow Back off and ball watch inviting other teams to have shots from way too close. Kick the buggers whilst they are up the pitch and/or out on the touch line, not stand and watch from 5 - 10 yards away deep in the area. As said above, Smith was a defender but seems to be sterile in terms of setting up a defence, formation and tactics to employ. I'm still of the opinion that with Smith at the helm we may as well have chosen the Titanic as the new club crest. The man appears clueless in selection, tactics, formation, etc. We over achieved in a poor division last season and this season will expose our frailties as we cannot be that fortunate again.

Today we had the usual bulk of possession but failed to take the many opportunities that we created. Why shoot at goal when you can have a couple of touches and look to pass to someone by the corner flag? Forest didn't do that, they shot and reaped the rewards. Watkins and Maupay livened things up when they came on. But how Vibe gets a starting berth is beyond me. Cannot head the ball, poor ball control, poor passing and falls on his arse too much with very little contact.

Hopefully Dean Smith will sort out the team selection and tactics for a Tuesday, but I am not holding my breath.
    I hope Smith reads and cogitates your post and stops spinning we played well.

Defence is the whole team not just two centre backs

28. 1 user(s) liked this post
    Herbert (13th August 2017)
    Joined in Apr 2000
    From East Colnbrook but my heart in Dixie
    5,601 Posts
    959 Likes for 548 Posts
    Looked like a bunch of strangers

Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Defence is the whole team not just two centre backs
    Too many mistakes throughout

Thread Information