Houghton Bee
Massive Member
Which tactics work for getting out of League One?
Hopefully this thread isn't duplicating an earlier one, if so please delete/move 
I'm interested in what my fellow GPGers think 'works' in League One, in a tactical and formation sense.
Personally I think a direct approach is best. Get the ball in the area as much as possible by any means necessary. I've long thought that trying to play the Barcelona/Arsenal approach just will not work at this level. I can understand why it's trying to be implemented at Brentford, I just don't think it's the way we will make it out of this division. Part of the problem is you need players that are not only technically gifted but mentally gifted as well, it's very tough and costly to get them down at this level. As large as our budget is we will always be reliant on recruiting Premier League youth cast offs, and lower league/Championship journeymen whilst we remain at this level. It feels like ages since we unearthed a non-league talent!
I'm also interested in peoples opinions on how teams have played that have been promoted in the past few seasons. The truth is when I see a Brentford match I only really watch Brentford, I don't really take much notice of how the other sh*t play. I certainly don't watch League One matches on tv, even the BBC highlights I record then fast forward to watch Brentford only.
I suspect many will agree that 4-4-2 is the best formation to use. 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 require a lot of work from the midfield getting forward to support the striker in the first case and avoiding being over run in the latter.
Over to you guys........
I'm interested in what my fellow GPGers think 'works' in League One, in a tactical and formation sense.
Personally I think a direct approach is best. Get the ball in the area as much as possible by any means necessary. I've long thought that trying to play the Barcelona/Arsenal approach just will not work at this level. I can understand why it's trying to be implemented at Brentford, I just don't think it's the way we will make it out of this division. Part of the problem is you need players that are not only technically gifted but mentally gifted as well, it's very tough and costly to get them down at this level. As large as our budget is we will always be reliant on recruiting Premier League youth cast offs, and lower league/Championship journeymen whilst we remain at this level. It feels like ages since we unearthed a non-league talent!
I'm also interested in peoples opinions on how teams have played that have been promoted in the past few seasons. The truth is when I see a Brentford match I only really watch Brentford, I don't really take much notice of how the other sh*t play. I certainly don't watch League One matches on tv, even the BBC highlights I record then fast forward to watch Brentford only.
I suspect many will agree that 4-4-2 is the best formation to use. 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 require a lot of work from the midfield getting forward to support the striker in the first case and avoiding being over run in the latter.
Over to you guys........
