England vs Slovakia

Jam Jar

Active member
Joined
26 Apr 2000
Messages
1,393
Reaction score
27
Location
Isleworth, Middlesex
1-0 to Slovakia. Very poor first half from England. Howler from James for their goal. Defensively England all over the place, rubbish tactics from Sven, playing the diamond formation at a home game. Why Phil Neville gets in the side is beyond me. Slovakia should have been 3-0 up at half time. Owen's been wasteful

Turkey 3-2 up - play-offs look more likely at the mo
 

Nada Bee

Well-known member
Joined
10 Aug 2001
Messages
18,577
Reaction score
989
Location
Aveley
England vs. Slovakia

lol

laughable!! awful! when will we learn that Michael Owen isn't the player everyone thinks he is!

It wasnt really James' fault for the goal.... just one of those freakish goals....

should be 4-0 down!!!

absolute b***ocks!
 

Nada Bee

Well-known member
Joined
10 Aug 2001
Messages
18,577
Reaction score
989
Location
Aveley
lol

laughable!! awful! when will we learn that Michael Owen isn't the player everyone thinks he is!

It wasnt really James' fault for the goal.... just one of those freakish goals....

should be 4-0 down!!!

absolute b***ocks!

(p.s. jam jar you beat me to it!!)
 

Stanley

Well-known member
Joined
10 Jan 2001
Messages
13,814
Reaction score
246
Awful half, Rooney's playing like the 17 year old he is, tactics are a shambles and is "everybody's favourite" Scholes actually on the pitch??

Only Gerrard is looking the business.

Erikson proving again he hasn't a clue.
 

Sweepy

Part-time Grapeviner
Joined
27 Feb 2001
Messages
15,331
Reaction score
1
Location
The Beautiful South
Nada Bee said:
lol

laughable!! awful! when will we learn that Michael Owen isn't the player everyone thinks he is!
How do you feel, Lewis? lol
 

bees66

Well-known member
Joined
14 Apr 2002
Messages
31,875
Reaction score
3
Location
Northolt
Nada Bee said:
lol
when will we learn that Michael Owen isn't the player everyone thinks he is!
Owen 50 caps 22 goals his record speaks for himself.
 

Nada Bee

Well-known member
Joined
10 Aug 2001
Messages
18,577
Reaction score
989
Location
Aveley
Sweepy said:
How do you feel, Lewis? lol
oh dear, lewis will eat his words. the run to get the penalty was class, but lets be honest any old striker can score a penalty and a header from 5 yards.... it wont hide the fact he did miss several chances.....
 
OP
Jam Jar

Jam Jar

Active member
Joined
26 Apr 2000
Messages
1,393
Reaction score
27
Location
Isleworth, Middlesex
Michael Owen's record cannot be criticised but he did miss some good chances, probably should have had at least four goals. But credit to the boy, he was the spark in an otherwise poor performance, rubbish first half, 2nd half was what you would expect, England took the game to Slovakia and the win was deserved.
 

hants in my pants

Active member
Joined
21 Oct 2001
Messages
5,708
Reaction score
0
Location
Hampshire
the change in the game seemed to come from brian kidd.

changing to 4-4-2 still allowed ashley cole to get forward without leaving us exposed in defence.

good game to watch.
 

Holysmit

Well-known member
Joined
22 Feb 2001
Messages
11,807
Reaction score
504
Location
West London
Re: England vs. Slovakia

Nada Bee said:
lol

laughable!! awful! when will we learn that Michael Owen isn't the player everyone thinks he is!

!
Care to comment on that now? Everyone keeps writing Owen off and he keeps on showing why he's Englands number one. He's a class above Rooney (who I still hold major doubts over). Vasell turned the game when he came on.

Agree about it not being James fault though.
 

Edmundo

Whinging pom
Joined
5 Apr 2000
Messages
36,829
Reaction score
222
Location
Alexandria, NSW, Australia
Roll out the cliché

Game of two halves!

Lampard's goal should have stood, stone-cold penalty when Southgate was hauled down and Owen hit the bar. Could easily have been five or six in the second half. But thank god they were awful at finishing in the first.

Don't know what the commentators were worrying about for the penalty that was given. Clear foul on Owen.
 

nocoat

King of the Geeks
Joined
19 Jan 2001
Messages
48,166
Reaction score
799
Location
No longer my beloved NAM
Re: Re: England vs. Slovakia

Holysmit said:
Care to comment on that now? Everyone keeps writing Owen off and he keeps on showing why he's Englands number one. He's a class above Rooney (who I still hold major doubts over). Vasell turned the game when he came on.

Agree about it not being James fault though.

agree 100% with you... apart from rooney being a doubt... one bad game (and i think we all agree he had a bad game) doesnt make a summer :confused: hold on, ive also read you said it WASNT james fault.... come to think of it i dont agree with you at all lol (apart from vaseline) now you are getting me all confused :cry:
 

Edmundo

Whinging pom
Joined
5 Apr 2000
Messages
36,829
Reaction score
222
Location
Alexandria, NSW, Australia
We could definitely do with a better 'keeper. Robinson ready yet?

Oh, and why does Michael Owen think that we are back on top of the table? Have a look in the paper tomorrow, Mike.
 

Gaz_Thomas

Hmmm yes!
Joined
29 Dec 2000
Messages
3,065
Reaction score
0
Location
Sunny Staines
2nd half performance was alot better then the sh*t in the first half.
Im surprised nobody mentioned the goal that was DISALLOWED !
 

Nada Bee

Well-known member
Joined
10 Aug 2001
Messages
18,577
Reaction score
989
Location
Aveley
I wish people would stop having a pop at James, he aint done nothing wrong yet, and until he does, why talk about a replacement?
 

Stanley

Well-known member
Joined
10 Jan 2001
Messages
13,814
Reaction score
246
We got out of jail, should have been 3 -0 down at half time even Marky Mac would have got one of those misses.

Only Gerrard and Owen really shone, although I thought Hargreaves turned the game, Rooney should go back to finishing school, he will be good but he is not an international player yet and I thought he was a liability tonight.

Erikson is one lucky manager so who knows..........
 

davebee

The Kiddywink Brigade
Joined
23 Jan 2001
Messages
7,042
Reaction score
59
Location
Huddersfield
rooney is young and has lots of time to learn yet.

david james is a good keeper. that was a VERY tough shot to save, dipping and swerving through a crowd of players. only one or two keepers would have got that methinks. that couldda gone anywhere, and where it went was the least likely place. can't really blame the keeper. he stayed in the middle of his goal which is where he shouldve been.
 

Ash Bee

INVALID EMAIL
Joined
7 Oct 2002
Messages
344
Reaction score
0
Location
Woodley, Berks - Working in Little Marlow near Bou
The excuse you can use from yesterdays game is that we got the result. Although the performance wasnt there three points was the aim and we got them

I think it will go down to the last game in Istanbul and hopefully we can win the group by getting a point over there

:wave: :wave:
 

The Joker

Moderator
Joined
22 Jun 2001
Messages
5,407
Reaction score
72
Stanley said:
Rooney should go back to finishing school, he will be good but he is not an international player yet and I thought he was a liability tonight.
Agree that last night he was poor. But he certainly looked an international class player against Turkey. Give him time - afterall Owen got time to "learn on the job" and I expect Rooney will get the same as long as he starts next season well.

Bringing Vassell on with half an hour to go seems like a good ploy to continue with as well. Not sure he would be so good from the start though.
 

Bee H

Brouilly Guzzler
Joined
7 Feb 2001
Messages
18,103
Reaction score
0
Location
UB10 England & 06160 France
davebee said:
david james is a good keeper. that was a VERY tough shot to save, dipping and swerving through a crowd of players. only one or two keepers would have got that methinks. that couldda gone anywhere, and where it went was the least likely place. can't really blame the keeper. he stayed in the middle of his goal which is where he shouldve been.
Sorry davebee but that's rubbish ! Calamity James is not an international keeper. The ball came over the top of the defenders as opposed to through a crowd of players, what game were you watching ? Calamity was guilty of moving across his goal and not reacting quick enough, it was his fault full stop.

Awful first half when we should have been 0-3 down. Cheating Kraut Linesman needed shooting ! Good second half performance and deserved 2-1 win overall just. Think how good Owen would be if he took at least 50% of the chances he has ? How much does Sven get paid for producing that first half rubbish ? Is it right that an International Manager boasts his chosen formation a week before a game ?

The 1664 was nicely chilled though ! :)
 

The H

poker semi-professional
Joined
4 Apr 2000
Messages
22,734
Reaction score
1
Location
South Ealing
cor blimey. i thought England played well. The last few games have had good passing and a lot of good movement. We just needed to bide our time and wait for the openings.

James not at fault, just a superb free-kick.

Bit lax for the Slovak chances, but they will always create them on the counter.

Bit worried that i only found out Neville was playing after 40 mins. Scholes shouldn't be picking the ball up in his own half. That's Brother Ugly's job.

Owen 5 shots, 5 on target, 2 goals.



I thought we were worse against Germany in the 5-1. In fact i though we were bloody awful. Same goes for the WC. :(
 

West Ealing Bee

Only Reading
Joined
6 Apr 2000
Messages
16,572
Reaction score
0
Location
At the match
First half was a disaster. James was clearly at fault for the goal, although the defending from the set piece can also be questioned. No-one attacked the ball.

Mills was disgraceful and the whole system looked completely flawed. There was no width and that meant Cole was having to provide the width down the left and then cover at full back when we lost possession.

We looked infinitely better at 4-4-2, Hargreaves looked solid and effective, Gerrard was able to dictate more and Scholes seemed more comfortable too.

Rooney was below par, I get the impression he wasn't fully fit but therte is no doubt he has talent, just not consistancy, which is hardly surprising. Owen did his job very well, great run to spark us into life and a great run for the header, pulling away from his marker.

We're still in pole position and we should take a lead to Turkey, where it will really count.
 

Holysmit

Well-known member
Joined
22 Feb 2001
Messages
11,807
Reaction score
504
Location
West London
Re: Re: Re: England vs. Slovakia

Edmundo said:
He's 17, FFS! :rolleyes:
Yes exactly and what has he done to prove himself. He's scored what 3/4 goals although admitdelly 2 of them were top quality I admit and yes he was very good against Turkey however I yet to be convinced that he has the consistency. The fact of the matter is Moyes is playing him right, and I fear he could go down the path of a lot of players who had all this talent at a young age and then threw it away. Anyone remember Danny Cadamateri?
 

mhead bee

Well-known member
Joined
7 Apr 2000
Messages
25,886
Reaction score
1,854
Location
Maidenhead
I find some of the comments on here absolutely astounding to the point that they must on a wind up to the level of the dale winton marriage documentary.

What has wayne rooney done?

Well for a start he absolutely ran ragged the defence of the team that got to the world cup semi final a few weeks ago. He was only sixteen a few months ago...anybody who has seen him play will be in no doubt we are in the presence of one of Englands and world greatest ever talents. He has been thrown in the deep end only a couple of months after his league debut and has looked completely at home on the international stage.

We hit so many long balls in the first half he didn't have a chance last night. It was michael owens experience that led him to move around and find space. Rooney has genius in his feet but still needs to learn about the logistics of the game and moving off the ball. At his feet he is pure class.


As for Michael Owen, he has been absolutely breathtaking up until about 12-16 months ago when his hamstrings started playing up. He has still scored goals but just seemed to have lost that extra bit of dynamite pace that left international defences like argentina and germany in disarray.

Last night he looked like his old self again. Yes he missed an early one on one, carbon copy to the chance he smacked in versus germany, but his all round play and pace was back to his best. He could have scored 5 last night but to suggest he misses 50% of his chances is utter utter nonsence!


Some of above I agree with..tactics were crap. phil neville is not international class, he should have taken him off and left mills on. We were truly awful for at least 1/2 hour in first half.

The real truth is that no teams have an easy ride now. Germany got stuffed 5.1 by us but still managed to fumble their way into the world cup final with only 1 half decent player in ballack and a brilliant goaly.

Look at last night results and weekends highlights and you see that turkey were lucky to beat slovakia and macedonia and even the "big guns" and only just scraping through.

Why do we sit back and acept that the other big sides scrape through but then slag our players off for doing the same?

Gerrard was head and shoulders best player but missed two sitters, one after he dribble past the whole defence first.

Cheating linesman nearly cost us a result with several appalling decisions!
 

West Ealing Bee

Only Reading
Joined
6 Apr 2000
Messages
16,572
Reaction score
0
Location
At the match
mhead bee said:
phil neville is not international class, he should have taken him off and left mills on.
I know I'm going to get slated but I don't think Phil Neville did much wrong last night. He was constantly chasing back trying to cover for Cole and Mills who were up the pitch and couldn't keep the ball and was often faced with 3 or 4 Slovaks running at him, with little support.

He looked comfortable at right back, and much better than Mills.

The main point, IMHO, is how much we missed Gary Neville.
 

West Ealing Bee

Only Reading
Joined
6 Apr 2000
Messages
16,572
Reaction score
0
Location
At the match
mhead bee said:
I find some of the comments on here absolutely astounding to the point that they must on a wind up to the level of the dale winton marriage documentary.

What has wayne rooney done?

Well for a start he absolutely ran ragged the defence of the team that got to the world cup semi final a few weeks ago. He was only sixteen a few months ago...anybody who has seen him play will be in no doubt we are in the presence of one of Englands and world greatest ever talents. He has been thrown in the deep end only a couple of months after his league debut and has looked completely at home on the international stage.

We hit so many long balls in the first half he didn't have a chance last night. It was michael owens experience that led him to move around and find space. Rooney has genius in his feet but still needs to learn about the logistics of the game and moving off the ball. At his feet he is pure class.


As for Michael Owen, he has been absolutely breathtaking up until about 12-16 months ago when his hamstrings started playing up. He has still scored goals but just seemed to have lost that extra bit of dynamite pace that left international defences like argentina and germany in disarray.

Last night he looked like his old self again. Yes he missed an early one on one, carbon copy to the chance he smacked in versus germany, but his all round play and pace was back to his best. He could have scored 5 last night but to suggest he misses 50% of his chances is utter utter nonsence!


Completely agree, Rooney has the potential to be one of the best players in the World, his touch is magnificent and his football brain is streets ahead of many other players. He is a tad inconsistant, and IMHO, not ready physically to play a full season and internationals at the end of it but he will be. By the time he is 20 he will be frightening.

Owen showed his class last night, time after time he gets us out of trouble. Scoring goals that others wouldn't score and creating chances for himself. Anyone who is critical of Owen needs their head examining. He is England's best player, the one player who would get into any international side and when it counts he comes up with the goods. My only problem is that he shouldn't be captain.
 

Pinch

Active member
Joined
17 Nov 2002
Messages
1,422
Reaction score
0
Location
Whitton
We played well second half, and deserved the win. Slovakia hardly hit the target, even with goldern oppourtunites, and if you don't hit the target you don't score. I think that Owen dived for that pen. Nevertheless we deserved the win, due to a sublime second half.
 

Streetboy

Active member
Joined
8 Jan 2001
Messages
3,258
Reaction score
45
Location
Stevenage
mhead bee said:
The real truth is that no teams have an easy ride now. Germany got stuffed 5.1 by us but still managed to fumble their way into the world cup final with only 1 half decent player in ballack and a brilliant goaly.

Look at last night results and weekends highlights and you see that turkey were lucky to beat slovakia and macedonia and even the "big guns" and only just scraping through.

Why do we sit back and acept that the other big sides scrape through but then slag our players off for doing the same?
[/B]
Exactly the point I was making in the pub last night. Some people will just refuse to give England any credit unless we are beating Brazil 6-0 in the World Cup Final.
I think we showed great character and determination to come back from a goal down in a potentially tricky fixture. Macedonia up next and they will not be an easy ride either.
 

Gee Bee

Well-known member
Joined
18 Jan 2001
Messages
22,664
Reaction score
178
Location
Rayleigh
The Lampard off side goal was certainly a close call, as from first slow motion showing he looked like he received the ball with only one man on the line, which would suggest he was off side. Therefore I can understand why the linesman gave it when he would have seen only in true speed.
 

Gee Bee

Well-known member
Joined
18 Jan 2001
Messages
22,664
Reaction score
178
Location
Rayleigh
The H said:
if the linesmen were level it would help them a whole lot more.

he was played onside by 2 defenders.. :eek:
Only one defender played him on side from what I saw, but I been in the pub since 5, so who knows. What might be forgotten is that the guy on the line effectively was the last man as the goalie had gone awol. Therefore it was the one other guy who was at first glance playing Lampard off side, but replays show that he was in fact just playing him on side. I didn't see the replays post match so maybe I missed something, apologies if I have.
 

Mr Tree

Brentford's premier GIF creator
Joined
28 Apr 2000
Messages
34,761
Reaction score
314
Location
Czech Republic
the tactics were certainly "interesting", but i think next time we should at least try and put a defence out there...

mikey did well, good stuff.
 

Edmundo

Whinging pom
Joined
5 Apr 2000
Messages
36,829
Reaction score
222
Location
Alexandria, NSW, Australia
Gee Bee said:
The Lampard off side goal was certainly a close call, as from first slow motion showing he looked like he received the ball with only one man on the line, which would suggest he was off side. Therefore I can understand why the linesman gave it when he would have seen only in true speed.
Where he was when he received it is of no account. Any competent linesman should have no difficulty in picking up that a player is being played onside by THREE defenders.

I have to agree with whoever it was that said it's daft to announce your formation a week in advance. Slovakia designed a plan to beat our diamond formation and were doing so comfortably until we abandoned it, after which we stuffed them. The diamond worked against Turkey because they weren't expecting it.
 

Mr Tree

Brentford's premier GIF creator
Joined
28 Apr 2000
Messages
34,761
Reaction score
314
Location
Czech Republic
Edmundo said:
Where he was when he received it is of no account. Any competent linesman should have no difficulty in picking up that a player is being played onside by THREE defenders.
i was stunned it was disallowed, considering there were 2 defenders on the line :eek:
 

Bee H

Brouilly Guzzler
Joined
7 Feb 2001
Messages
18,103
Reaction score
0
Location
UB10 England & 06160 France
Edmundo said:
I have to agree with whoever it was that said it's daft to announce your formation a week in advance.
That was me ! See Ed, we do agree on things sometimes eh ! :D
 

finchbee

Gambler
Joined
8 Jan 2001
Messages
4,066
Reaction score
0
Location
Wokingham, Berks
1st Half poor,k second half good. Gerrard was awesome. Owen quality. Ok he missed chances but he scored 2 !!! 2 out of 5 is still OK. Their strikers missed loads. Owen was unlucky when the keeper saved and then headed the rebound onto the bar. I thought the penalty was fair enough as he was in the clear. The other appeal was defo a penalty and the goal was fair.!!!

I also think the defence was shocking, cannot fault James for the goal, should have been cleared by either centre back !!
 

Jezybee

Reassuringly Expensive
Joined
12 Jan 2001
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
2
Location
Chester
Can't believe Lampards goal was dissalowed. :(
 
Last edited:

Leonardo

Mad blogger
Joined
25 Jun 2001
Messages
6,035
Reaction score
252
Location
Burnham
When does Carlo Cudicuini qualify for England? I now stand eating humble pier about Mills. He was complete s*ite and Phil Neville looked good there as stayed back and allowed Cole to go forward more. Monster performance from Lampard 2nd half and boy Vassell sure is livewire as a sub, although I thought Joe Cole was going to come on for Rooney. Got to say how did Owen miss some of those chances? He should have got 4 last night but he seemed slightly below par esp. 1st half.
 

mhead bee

Well-known member
Joined
7 Apr 2000
Messages
25,886
Reaction score
1,854
Location
Maidenhead
Leonardo said:
Got to say how did Owen miss some of those chances? He should have got 4 last night but he seemed slightly below par esp. 1st half.
Can't believe that!!:eek: :eek:

Goaly saved the first one more by luck than skill, the crossbar one, well if you think that was an easy nod in then you have never player football.

I think owen has been out of sorts for at least a year as he had lost that extra piece of lightning pace that destroyed argentina and germany. Versus slovakia, for the first time in at least 12 months, he seemed to have got that pace back. The ball from gerrard was good in the first minute but any other player would not have got 5 yards clear of the defender including owen 6 months ago. The rest has done him good and hopefully those hamstrings are behind him now!
 

Leonardo

Mad blogger
Joined
25 Jun 2001
Messages
6,035
Reaction score
252
Location
Burnham
Well how about the one where he took a few touches when he should have hit it first time. I reckon we may be too hard on him as we expect so much because of what he has done that uis why it was unexpeced to see him miss those chances, but for anyone else 2goals from 5 shots is quite good. With Owen you expect 4 from 5 ...
 

mhead bee

Well-known member
Joined
7 Apr 2000
Messages
25,886
Reaction score
1,854
Location
Maidenhead
Leonardo said:
Well how about the one where he took a few touches when he should have hit it first time. I reckon we may be too hard on him as we expect so much because of what he has done that uis why it was unexpeced to see him miss those chances, but for anyone else 2goals from 5 shots is quite good. With Owen you expect 4 from 5 ...
The shot you refer to was a carbon copy of the chance he scored in the world cup qualifyer versus albania last year at newcastle. He hit it first time with the outside of his right foot.
He should have done the same this time.
He definately has been a bit out of sorts with his finishing last 12 months although he has still got buckets full of goals. Hopefully the return to full fitness will raise the confidence to start tucking more chances away.
 

Bee H

Brouilly Guzzler
Joined
7 Feb 2001
Messages
18,103
Reaction score
0
Location
UB10 England & 06160 France
mhead bee said:
He definately has been a bit out of sorts with his finishing last 12 months although he has still got buckets full of goals. Hopefully the return to full fitness will raise the confidence to start tucking more chances away.
so does this mean that you now agree with me after your initial slating ?
 

mhead bee

Well-known member
Joined
7 Apr 2000
Messages
25,886
Reaction score
1,854
Location
Maidenhead
Bee H said:
so does this mean that you now agree with me after your initial slating ?

I don't know, my original message said that he has been out of sorts and lacked full pace over last 12-18 months. Versus slovakia he looked like he has got that bit of pace back again.

Which bit have have I changed?
What do I now agree with that I didn't before?
 

Bee H

Brouilly Guzzler
Joined
7 Feb 2001
Messages
18,103
Reaction score
0
Location
UB10 England & 06160 France
mhead bee said:
He could have scored 5 last night but to suggest he misses 50% of his chances is utter utter nonsence!
after I'd posted "Think how good Owen would be if he took at least 50% of the chances he has ?"

My comments were taking in to account the last couple of seasons where he's not been on top form and definitely missed way more than normal which everyone on here has agreed with !


and don't have another go, the Sun's out and just remember who got you a ticket for Laughtus Road the season before last ! :D :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom