'The Lapidary' on Amazon.
- 5 Jul 2002
- Reaction score
- Aquitaine, France
It has certainly been a fantastic achievement but I understood it was the second 'just promoted' team having conceded only 2 goals that was the reference?According to the commentary we are only the second team in history to get past five Premier League games having conceded only two goals. The other being Everton at some point apparently. Although Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City have all conceded just one in four games so I expect one or more - possibly all of them might be joining our club soon.
Only caught the second half but what a great defence we have. And a huge uptick this season in our sh*thousery skills which might get slated by others, but most that slate us will do so from glasshouses. Top, top team. Up the Bees.
Oh maybe. Perhaps I misheard. I did find it surprising to be honest. The other team was Everton. So if that's the case, it must refer to the top tier as opposed to the Premier League.It has certainly been a fantastic achievement but I understood it was the second 'just promoted' team having conceded only 2 goals that was the reference?
Much non-biblical man love is forming within me for Ajer. Great player, but also such a character. His 'goal-like' celebrations for his tackles are one of the best things I've ever seen in football.Ajer fantastic at the back and the tackle to prevent a near certain goal shows why we parted with so much cash for him
Here is your Saturday afternoon Fact Check courtesy of Untouchable (clean sheets aplenty edition):
- Win 2-0 away from home
- First away win in the PL
- First away win in the top flight since 5th April 1947
- Another clean sheet
- Another game where we have more than competed against an established PL team
- Another game where we have created multiple chances in addition to the goals
- Fantastic defensive performance when we went down to 10 and even then we could have scored more
- Only 2 goals conceded from our first 5 PL games
- Still in the top half of the table
- 8 points clear of Norwich, 7 points clear of Burnley, 6 points clear of Newcastle, 5 points clear of Leeds
- Only 2 points from the Champions League places
- Ajer fantastic at the back and the tackle to prevent a near certain goal shows why we parted with so much cash for him
- Norgaard masterful in the middle. Once again covering more ground than any other player
- Mbeumo is finally a PL goal scorer. His effort has deserved a goal and his ability and ongoing potential are frightening. Undoubtedly will be the third of the BMW to make us more than £30m
- Baptiste had a moment of madness. But he’s made it in a game that hasn’t cost us anything. He’s earned his place in the team and will come back again
- Ivan Toney. Wow. I’m not sure my meagre words can any longer describe how good he is.
- Nice to see a bit of sh*thousery in our play towards the end. We’ve been on the receiving end too many times. About time we gave it out.
- For those who are keeping count, of the relegated teams last year it took Fulham until match week 12 to reach 8 points; WBA until match week 15; and Sheffield United until match week 20. Relegation for the Bees? No chance
- Liverpool next. They’re 15 league games unbeaten, 19 times Champions of England, 7 times FA Cup winners, 6 times Champions of Europe. But they haven’t won at Brentford in the league since March 1938. They’re getting smashed.
Wolves came at us pretty hard at the start of the second half and Rico was being given a torrid time.
Thought the ref was excellent myself, the disallowed goals were both correct callsAgree with everything - but a coupe of extra little points.
1: in the first half we had our old attacking Bees back -
2: while Ivan and Christian got the top credits, Nathan Pinnok had yet another superb game. By my reckoning he's made just one mistake since promotion.
3: yes, we played 10 against 11 for most of the second half, but don't forget we were down to 9 at one point for, what, five minutes. And we were still too good.
4: and for all their fans talk of our sh*thous-ry, they're quiet about their 'keeper having his name taken for trying to scuff the penalty spot before IT's
nonchalant kick beat him. Among other things
*finally - what an incompetent clown of a referee.
Yep I don’t like the time wasting and sh@thousery but do unto others etc etc!
It's funny (slightly off topic - my apologies), I have good mates who supports West Ham, Man Utd , Arsenal, Spurs etc.Very decent assessment. Overheard one Wolves fan outside the ground in how we beat them up on the pitch. I loved that assessment.
I also heard quite a lot of f***ing Brentford mind you
Like this comment:For all the talk of us sh*thousing and time wasting, we created 2 clearcut chances in that period, Mbeumo hit the bar and Janelt really should have scored. More than they did for most of the game....
that's actually a complimentIt's funny (slightly off topic - my apologies), I have good mates who supports West Ham, Man Utd , Arsenal, Spurs etc.
For years, they've always had a real soft spot for the Bees and would sometimes attend home & away games during our time in League 1 & Championship.
However since this season begun, I have sensed there "liking for the Bees" have somewhat cooled down and are not so enthusiastic about us anymore.
They're having a Neves breakdown.From The Molineux Mix.
Jeff Shi has ****ed it.
Bruno hasn't been backed.
Still the same **** poor back line.
Penalty and ensuing madness aside, Brentford didn't do anything all game.
We just don't have the players to cope with these sort of physical matches, and that's been the same story for the past 4 years.
Sort the ****ing recruitment out.
Did nothing - but won. What more could we do?
Things definitely on the up. Match of the Day very complimentary tonight!I must say that I can't help but wonder what's going through Matthew Benham's mind this evening after a performance like that ?
Surely, if there was ever a vindication for all the years of investment, it was today
The stat was about clubs‘ first five Premier League games. Everton’s first five PL games were in 1992.Oh maybe. Perhaps I misheard. I did find it surprising to be honest. The other team was Everton. So if that's the case, it must refer to the top tier as opposed to the Premier League.
Over here in Crete the onlyEnglish speaking channel in the hotel is a version of CNNWe’ve just been on the main ITV news , What days these are to be a Bee !!!