Away day habits

N5022N122

Active member
Joined
9 May 2021
Messages
4,406
Reaction score
2,479
Location
London

Away day habits

I manage 5 to 8 games away per season. I am limited to the S.E. games but can if one exists do an overnighter during August or other holiday time at a northern outpost. On these occasions since I have been on my own I like to visit the town and have dinner and a short pub crawl and see any sights if they exist.
I was wondering if anyone else has an away day routine or other activity they do linked in with the away day experience like hike, visit family, etc.
 

Away day habits

I manage 5 to 8 games away per season. I am limited to the S.E. games but can if one exists do an overnighter during August or other holiday time at a northern outpost. On these occasions since I have been on my own I like to visit the town and have dinner and a short pub crawl and see any sights if they exist.
I was wondering if anyone else has an away day routine or other activity they do linked in with the away day experience like hike, visit family, etc.
My normal away day is by coach straight to the ground, so don't get to see anything, other than the stadium, of the places that I visit. Even if I use other modes of transport I rarely get to see anything, it's only if I visit a place for other reasons that I get to see that these places really are quite nice.
 

Away day habits

Away day pie at ground and rating them.
Don't eat pie's any other time of the year ... just at Brentford away days.

Also socks ... if we lose they get chucked. Plenty on the motorways all over the country. Swansea play off win socks at Wembley, are framed and hanging on wall. Those are keepers and special socks
 

Away day habits

Away day pie at ground and rating them.
Don't eat pie's any other time of the year ... just at Brentford away days.

Also socks ... if we lose they get chucked. Plenty on the motorways all over the country. Swansea play off win socks at Wembley, are framed and hanging on wall. Those are keepers and special socks
"I got Raya's socks!!!" ?
 

Away day habits

Away ground food: never go for meat options, only veggie, aka playing it safe :ROFLMAO:

There’ll always be Burger King on the motorway home
 

Away day habits

Away ground food: never go for meat options, only veggie, aka playing it safe :ROFLMAO:

There’ll always be Burger King on the motorway home
That’s weird , football ground pie gonna be better than a services BK ?
 

Away day habits

Cans, train, pub, ground, pub, train, cans, home.
As above and check what other mobs will be on the same train route/stations etc etc…FJ will agree?? and note nearest take away and offie to away station for after?
 

Away day habits

Eating is cheating :nono:
 

Away day habits

That’s weird , football ground pie gonna be better than a services BK ?
A rough personal based theory based on rough away days of the last couple of decades, if you must eat at a ground, go for veggie.
As never sure if the meat content/quality/cooked through
 

Away day habits

I’ve never been much of a drinker, so goodness knows what my memory would be like if I did! Always tried to combine away days with something else, so the day is not a complete write off when we lose! Obviously the last decade has been much better in that regard.
I used to visit Mum (Harrogate) for any Northern game I was en route to,
but that’s long ago now. It was more fun in the lower divisions, when you could work activities around 3pm Saturday.
Beam engines in steam (Burton), working WaterMill (Barnsley), Windmill (Nottingham), vintage buses (Huddersfield), stately home (Burnley/Charlton). Britain’s largest model railway (Middlesbrough), Castle/Fort (Carlisle/Norwich/Colchester). Then there’s town centre museums and art galleries for decent food and the best toilets. I’ve visited various parks, wildlife/nature reserves, and many a river/canal boat trip/walks.
Whilst there’s normally something to do, some places are beyond hope (help?). In the middle of nowhere (Scunthorpe, MkD), or perhaps worse, the middle of suburbia (Sutton/Palace).
PL was a disappointment from the day trip perspective. I only managed to see Liverpool’s waterfront and museums, a couple of Picasso’s in Wolverhampton, and a Turner or two in Norwich!
 

Away day habits

I’ve never been much of a drinker, so goodness knows what my memory would be like if I did! Always tried to combine away days with something else, so the day is not a complete write off when we lose! Obviously the last decade has been much better in that regard.
I used to visit Mum (Harrogate) for any Northern game I was en route to,
but that’s long ago now. It was more fun in the lower divisions, when you could work activities around 3pm Saturday.
Beam engines in steam (Burton), working WaterMill (Barnsley), Windmill (Nottingham), vintage buses (Huddersfield), stately home (Burnley/Charlton). Britain’s largest model railway (Middlesbrough), Castle/Fort (Carlisle/Norwich/Colchester). Then there’s town centre museums and art galleries for decent food and the best toilets. I’ve visited various parks, wildlife/nature reserves, and many a river/canal boat trip/walks.
Whilst there’s normally something to do, some places are beyond hope (help?). In the middle of nowhere (Scunthorpe, MkD), or perhaps worse, the middle of suburbia (Sutton/Palace).
PL was a disappointment from the day trip perspective. I only managed to see Liverpool’s waterfront and museums, a couple of Picasso’s in Wolverhampton, and a Turner or two in Norwich!
Props to you mate. I’ve always found it amazing when people have never been much of a drinker, surely at some point you were doing massive nightsout, never ending pub sessions or blank memory away days?
I try not to drink as much as I used to at games so I can appreciate the quality football we play now . Was easier watching Leroy’s team after a pint or 10
 

Away day habits

Ah! I never said I hadn’t tried it. I don’t enjoy the process, and the after effects even less. Found my limit early on, and stuck to it. I’ve enough vices already without adding booze to the mix. Probably influenced by my brother being an alcoholic for years…
Fair play mate
 

Away day habits

As we always drive, my son and I try to get places early, park for the getaway, with the target of a decent restaurant for a meal. In truth, there’s not that many we go back to and the PL has made it worse as there’s generally nothing close in. Favourite is still a French restaurant at Hull but we’re unlikely to be doing that any time soon. Then there’s Newcastle… got to be a long weekend!
 

Away day habits

I’m the same, don’t drink so always drive. I always leave early so if I do run into problems on the motorway I have time to divert and have no stress .. mostly book driveways with Just Park. Park up early, have my lunch in the car and get in my seat at the stadium nice and early! .. I’ve never missed a kick off apart from Anfield in 89!
 

Away day habits

My bladder is not what it used to be so drinking before football is now history.
I normally travel to away games with junior bee and wether we drive or train we head to a Maccyds for food and refreshments and a khazi.
Some are crap some are okay.
Normally take in a Tesco Express too for a valuable meal deal.
We walk local streets we admire local scenery and local inhabitants.
Or we slag it off.
In Liverpool we visited the birth places of George Harrison, Paul McCartney and John Lennons first home before he moved to Aunt Mimis.
Next season will be a visit to Dingle for Ringos.
Local culture.
 

Away day habits

Brentford fans going woke and giving up booze thread……
 

Away day habits

Didn’t get to let the train take the strain for any aways last season, due to a) living near Southampton and b) kick off day/time changes.

So Norton Caines services and Warrington Premier Inn became our away day habit.
 

Away day habits

Lots of great away days with enough beer for 10 men, the occasional restaurant or proper sit down meal before or after.
Most away games we’ve found somewhere local and decent to meet up and drink in reasonable numbers. Difficult to pick a best one, Liverpool was a great weekend, Chelsea was just a great day out on a Saturday with quality company, a superb result and a night of proper post match celebrations.
Burnley took over 6 hours,I got soaked queuing at the cricket club for beers, they ran out of pies in the ground and we were 0-1 down before I’d reached row ZZ.
Southampton was equally rubbish with no trains and we parked far too far away so no opportunity for beers and on top of a poor performance I had an angry yoof with his dad calling for Thomas to go and Ivan to be dropped until half time when he got told his fortune and asked to be more positive and didn’t return to his seat.
Far more good than bad though
 

Away day habits

Done my fair share in my lifetime.
I actually might give non drinking and breaking up my away experience with something other than football next season. Perhaps it’s time to move from just drinking and football.
 
Back
Top Bottom