The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Edmundo

Whinging pom
Joined
5 Apr 2000
Messages
44,569
Reaction score
16,097
Location
Alexandria, NSW or Highbury N5

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Please discuss the interview with Matthew Benham in this thread.

You can find the interview here

We are always pleased to receive comments and feedback on interviews like this, so please add any thoughts you may have.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

As you may know, Matthew Benham is the man once known as the "mystery investor" whose money played a key part in the Bees United acquisition of the majority shareholding in Brentford FC, back in January.

On August 7th, Banana and I met with Matthew at his office in North London, armed with questions supplied with GPG-ers. We tried to cover all the ground, but it wasn't possible to ask every question in the time available. We think it's a fascinating interview - please discuss it in this thread.

GPG: Which football club did you follow as a young man?
MB: Obviously Brentford. If you want the long-winded answer: when I was a kid until 10 years of age I was a Man United fan – I didn't know better. Then I went to my first Brentford game when I was ten and in my early teens ran up a few hundred games – home and away. I had a couple of years where I went to pretty much every game (home and away) and then it gradually drifted off since then – so probably my peak support was in the early to mid 80s.

So what were your most memorable games?
My most memorable game ever was watching the Peterborough away game but also others stick out: the 6-0 against Newport, the 2-0 away to Blackburn – that was pretty memorable – and, just some bizarre one, the 4-4 against Doncaster if you can remember that far back. This was when we were 4-1 down and down to 10 men. Then we pulled it back and nearly won it. The glory days of Bob Booker.

Are you a member of Bees United or BIAS?
No

Why aren't you a member of Bees United?
Hasn't occurred to me – no particular reason other than I don't want to be seen as part of one group or part of another group.

How did you hear that Brentford were in trouble?
I’d heard on and off for a while. Specifically it was an article in The Independent probably late last year. October last year, something like that. So it was then that I started making contact with the club.

And you got in contact with Eddie Rogers?
Yes, a colleague who is a much more active supporter of the club than myself approached Peter Gilham who in turn led me towards Eddie, John and Doug. At the next meeting I met Brian Burgess, and at that point it seemed most logical that, as a newcomer, I should just join the Board as an independent, not aligned with one group or another.

Just about the money you've put it. Are you in it for the long-term and what do you hope to get out of it yourself?
Well football has treated me very well. A huge amount of what I learnt about football was from following Brentford. It seemed a natural thing when I saw the article. Yeah I intend to be involved for the long-term. In terms of the short-term like the next 2, 3, 4 years, I don't think I'm going to be that actively involved. That will be the case for Rob Esteva as well. But long-term there's a lot we know about football so hopefully we can be of use.

What is it you do briefly?
I run a syndicate betting on football. We’re also about to start trading in finance too, as well as looking at various areas of consultancy.

Some of our members are a little suspicious so here's the next question: Why are you helping the club out? What's in it for you? You said about the football, but is that the whole reason?
Yeah, what more can I say. People have to realise I haven't got a share in the club, all I've done is lend it money interest-free. There's a charge on the ground.

Have you been offered equity in exchange for the debt?
No. That might happen in the future but it's not something that's been talked about.

So what is your exit route?
Currently my loan is for five years. There hasn't been any discussion on ending that early. There hasn't been a discussion on what's going to happen in 5 years time either.

The standby facility. I understood that to be a device to satisfy the auditors for the whitewash period. However we were told at the recent Fans' Forum that the Standby facility was going to remain in place for a long time. What is the case?
I'm not sure. I'm not aware of there being a time limit on the standby facility.

For use in what circumstances is the standby facility?
I have to check with Brian exactly how it is but it's for emergencies – say if they can't pay the wages for that month – stuff like that. But not “here's a player I fancy.” I don't look at Brentford as a charity. When I give money to charity I just give the money and that's it. I don't want to do that with Brentford, I want it to be used in a commercial, business-like way.

So you want your money back at the end of the day?
Yeah. Well hopefully! Yeah, ultimately I'm expecting it back.

As a major investor have you been given some control or say in the running of Bees United or BFC?
No not really but I haven't requested it. I've got a nominee on the board who's Rob Estava, I think he will be superb for the role although I'm only expecting him to devote two or three days a month. But I don't want greater involvement beyond that for the time being.

Why aren't you on the BFC Board rather than Rob?
I'm just too busy.

If it was my money that I had loaned the club I would want to be on the board to make sure it was being looked after and that the people doing that were doing the right thing....
You can look for a hidden agenda if you want, but it's really just a question of time. I've got an awful lot of other ventures on – I've got a lot of other things that I've invested in or have made donations to. I just haven't got the time. And to be fair, in the case of Rob, he has more of an aptitude and interest in this kind of thing in terms of how a club is run. So it's a time thing. For example I'm only going to get to go to a handful of games this season, maybe five or six. Generally other things I do are hands-off as well.

A few people have asked whether you had anything to do with the sponsorship deal with Samvo.
Yes.

Did you find them?
I deal with them. They're quite important in our business and whilst I was speaking to them I was saying that their offices here are in Hanger Lane so I said to them that I was getting involved in a club local to them and I put it forward like that. But that's the extent of it – in terms of their relation with Brentford now, I stay out of it – it's Ian Jones that's the main guy. He manages that relationship.

Do you know of more sponsors who may contribute in the medium or long-term in that kind of way?
No-one else comes to mind.

Before you were the “Mystery Investor” - now you're not.....
That was the cock-up theory of history rather than a conspiracy theory. Obviously when I was in negotiations it was sensible not to disclose my identity, especially given my profession. Then the Standard splashed this story about a ‘Mystery Investor’, made it a bigger deal than it was. Then at the time of the Bees United takeover it seemed to make more sense to stay in the background for the time being. Once Rob took over from PO as my nominee on the board, it seemed fine to go public.

Do you see any conflict in your roles, betting on football and being involved with the Bees? Or was that why Martin Allen bottled promotion?
Laughs. The main thing to say is that ever since we started negotiations, my syndicate does not bet on Brentford games. Full stop, we don't bet on them. There's nothing in FA regulations concerning that, and I do know for a fact that there are other gamblers who have financial interests in football clubs which they use to their advantage, by being closely in contact with the coach and the players, but personally I don't think that's good.

Was there any consultation with the FA or the Football League?
I'm pretty sure Brian checked with them. And it was OK.

So when did you first discover the Griffin Park Grapevine?
Ages ago. When it was on that really sh*tty Inside The Web thing. Five or six years ago. A long long time ago anyway.

How long have you been doing this? We read a bit on the BBC website.
There was a lot that was inaccurate in that article. Very inaccurate in fact. I’ve been involved in football betting for about five years, running my own group for close to three years. I was in the City originally, for just under 9 years, then took a couple of years out.

Did you say before the Swansea game that we had a 52% chance of going up?
I don't remember saying that. I remember saying when we sold DJ Campbell, we gave Birmingham a 52% chance of staying up. Maybe I said something along those lines.

So was the DJ Campbell deal a good one?
Yeah, well I can't really comment. The only slightly funny thing ... I only ever spoke to Martin Allen once – for about two minutes – this was against Oldham in the cup, he came up after the game and someone said, “Campbell had a good game.” And he said, “Yes, bad news for me, good news for you boys on the board because it means you can sell him, but terrible news for me.” Any time any player was mentioned, “God you know I really want to keep him, but you you bastards are going to sell him, aren't you? What can I do?” And then when the offer came in for DJ Campbell, the board went to him and said, “We don't have to take it.” He said, “No no, take it take it, you've got to take it.” Otherwise, he said, he would lose the dressing room, if we didn't take it. Because he'd always said to the players, “Work hard and if your chance comes, we won't stand in your way.”

He lost the dressing room anyway, later! But yes, it proved to them that he wouldn't get in their way. But Sodje was in tears, I heard, because his transfer didn't go through. Birmingham were going to sign him but ended up buying someone else.
Yes, from Slavia Prague.

Martin called every Premiership and Championship club that day to try and get him a deal and no-one came in, except for Southampton, who offered him a derisory deal.
Maybe not that derisory, but yes. With DJ, Martin was happy to take the money because he didn't think he was a Premiership player.

Well he's not, is he? Not this season anyway. The sting in the tail of that deal was that there was more money for Brentford if they stayed up, and I hate Birmingham.
That was where the 52% came in.

How are we going to do this year, then?
Well the way I read the league last year was that there was one team, Colchester, who were way way above everyone else and apart from that there was a lot of mediocrity. Southend, I genuinely thought were a lower mid-table team with a great striker and a great keeper. I didn't see Brentford much but I read a lot of reports and from what I gathered, I just got the feeling that Brentford were a mid-table team, who just happened to be getting results. That happens a lot. That does happen a lot.

Is it where someone like Martin Allen can make the difference, through motivation, raising their game just that little bit?
I'm not saying they were playing above their level. They were playing at their level, but getting results – and that does happen a lot. That a team plays as a mid-table team and they happen to go on a run of ten or fifteen games where they get a load of wins and everyone says, “Oh it's because of a change of tactics or because of this or that,” and an awful lot of times it's just noise. Just statistical chance.

So how do you know when a run of fifteen games is just chance?
Well we make sure we read all the reports, get all the fanzines, because although there's a lot of crap in them, there's also a lot of good stuff and we pick out the pertinent points.

Do you pay someone to read the GPG?
Yes.

I'm looking for a job! And I live just down the road.
Laughs.

So you read Matty D's match reports?
I believe so, yeah.

But all those sites, you have to assess whether the people who are writing know what they are talking about?
Exactly, yes. Obviously there are some people who always slag everyone off and others who are way too optimistic. So you've got to filter them out. But the key thing for us, without giving away too many trade secrets, is that it's all about performance rather than scoreline. Like the game against Blackpool, was by all accounts just a lucky one-nil. These things happen. But last season I thought Brentford would be a slightly better than mid-table team. There weren't that many good sides in the league.

And a few teams underperformed.
Yes. To be realistic we are a midtable type team for this season. We've lost a few players. Being up there would be fantastic, but ... it would be a real achievement.

As long as we don't do a Hartlepool and get to the play-offs two seasons running and then get relegated.
They had their two main strikers injured for most of the season.

It can be quite an emotional rollercoaster supporting Brentford.
You have to remember for me it can be like that every game, with money riding on it.


A big thank you to Matthew for sparing his time and we hope to see him at Griffin Park soon!

It would be useful to hear your comments and feedback on this interview. Thanks.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

An interesting interview, many thanks to Ed and Banana. :sorted:

A question though, how did Benham come across?
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

My own view: very straightforward, open and honest.

Myself and Edmundo spent a few hours in the pub afterwards and he came across as a very genuine person and one that I'm very happy is involved with the club - albeit he's only involved at arms length.

Not sure what he thought of us though :D
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I liked his comment on reading the fanzines, 'theres a lot of crap in them' can't be talking about TITS then?!
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

My own view: very straightforward, open and honest.

Myself and Edmundo spent a few hours in the pub afterwards and he came across as a very genuine person and one that I'm very happy is involved with the club - albeit at arms length.

Not sure what he thought of us though :D

That's good enough for me. :D
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I'd echo what Banana has said. Matthew's a straightforward, down-to-earth guy and was very open and honest with us - and bought his rounds too. My overwhelming impression at the end of the evening was that I'm delighted that he's involved with Brentford.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I liked his comment on reading the fanzines, 'theres a lot of crap in them' can't be talking about TITS then?!

He did say he thought the interviews with Greg Dyke and Hard-Fi were excellent :sorted:
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Good interview. Always going to be a bit of a stigma being involved in both betting and football though.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

good to hear he helped get Samvo on board. How old is he? do we have apicture of the guy as wonder if any fans would recognise or even know him?
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Matthew Benham said:
Do you pay someone to read the GPG?
Yes.


:eek: Up until this moment I always thought my dream job would be best boy grip.....
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Sounds as if he has plenty of money and is not too interested in gaining from it
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

good interview. I met Matthew at the Gillingham away game and he came across as one of the good guys, with a lot of humility and desire to help this club.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Good stuff indeed. However, l anticipate that once a player, always a player.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I thought it was an excellent interview
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I wonder if he'll be using Bee H's French football tips (which appear to have stopped for this season) for his business :fishing:
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I wonder if he'll be using Bee H's French football tips (which appear to have stopped for this season) for his business :fishing:

I've heard they have been offered and resoundly rejected as "****ing useless" :D
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Good interview guys, very well done. :sorted:

Let's hope Matthew continues to be successful in his business ventures and in a few years he might want to have even more involvement in the Bees.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

is this guy donating to the "fighting chance" fund?
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

is this guy donating to the "fighting chance" fund?

:shrug: He has a representative on the board who will be aware of it but I don't know whether he has any plans to contribute anymore than his already significant investment.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Interesting stuff, would have been good to know what he views as the long term realistic plans for the club and his feelings towards Noades, Webb and Lange as a long standing fan.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

is this guy the answer to BFC's supporters wish for a supporter to take over the club?

Has he the spare £10million to clear the debts and to set the club up for a chance to escape League 2 and to take the club forward.............?????
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

what he has done is maginificent. thank you matthew.

we will live to fighht another day - and another season!


sigh of relief and now scott can start to plan for the future.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Guess he must have backed Arsenal on Sunday :)
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Top interview sounds like a top bloke long may his association with BFC continue Thanks to all concerned:sorted: :sorted:
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I just read up on Smartodds - is Matthew Benham able to give Nocoat a few tips so he afford to buy a new jacket (I hear there is a 2nd hand stone island one on sale from Brickie Chap which no longer fits him but from which he's managed to get all the stains out...kebab sauce, lager, blood, drool, other body fluids etc...so its as good as new)
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Wonder what he's thinking now......
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Could anyone tell me if its true that the first thing matthew asked before agreeing the renewal of the loan was "is my son getting a contract" i then heard his son got a 6 month contract, i could be barking up the wrong tree here, does anyone know if its true?
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Could anyone tell me if its true that the first thing matthew asked before agreeing the renewal of the loan was "is my son getting a contract" i then heard his son got a 6 month contract, i could be barking up the wrong tree here, does anyone know if its true?

He's 38. How old is his son?
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Could anyone tell me if its true that the first thing matthew asked before agreeing the renewal of the loan was "is my son getting a contract" i then heard his son got a 6 month contract, i could be barking up the wrong tree here, does anyone know if its true?


..................you'd have thought he'd have known what the odds were............
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I'm not sure that spreading negative rumours about a major benefactor of the club is the greatest of ideas:nono:
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I'm not sure that spreading negative rumours about a major benefactor of the club is the greatest of ideas:nono:


Especially as someome has just give us 250K and Matthew could be one of the prime suspects!
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Especially as someome has just give us 250K and Matthew could be one of the prime suspects!

My understanding from what GD said on the Radio last night was that the 250k would NOT be given - it is an "investment"
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I'm not sure that spreading negative rumours about a major benefactor of the club is the greatest of ideas:nono:

Just wait and see some mug start a Benham Out thread, unless we win the Champions League in 5 years time...:rolleyes:

There is always one !
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

My understanding from what GD said on the Radio last night was that the 250k would NOT be given - it is an "investment"

So the return on investment would be the sale of said players for a profit I would assume.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

So what? If we get Bill Bloggs From Tucktonia for 20,000 and sell him 6 months later for 500,000 he gets his money back and we make a quid, If we sell him for 50,000, we then only owe him 200,000. What's wrong with that?
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

My understanding from what GD said on the Radio last night was that the 250k would NOT be given - it is an "investment"

as in another slice of the GP change going elsewhere?
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I hope that's not the case, I mean really what is the ****ing point?
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

As long as we don't do a Hartlepool and get to the play-offs two seasons running and then get relegated.



wow was that ed or nana??

or mystic meg???
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

I wonder if Matthew would like to buy the club? It might not be PC to say but the current fun model is sh*t.
 

The 2006 GPG interview with Matthew Benham

Matthew Benham

I used to hang around with Matthew during our school days and hitched to some of the games with him. Perhaps if he is reading this (or whoever he is paying to read this) could reply and get in touch with me.
 
Back
Top Bottom