A Newbies View

Burger

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2007
Messages
107
Reaction score
10

A Newbies View

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a few lines to introduce myself and try and raise a bit of optimisim around these parts !

I attended yesterdays game with my father . It was our first visit to Griffin Park since 1990 and akthough the result went against us , we both really enjoyed the afternoon and will definetly be coming back !

To be truthful, we both used to go to Chelsea but it is simply far too expensive and since the money has been rolling in there it no longer felt like the club I used to watch regulary between 1981 - 1995 . Since '95 I've attended the odd game at Stamford Bridge but this year i realised that i miss the buzz of going to the footy regulary so I thought I'd give my local club a try - the mighty Bees !

Ok, so yesterday was my first visit even though I'd been planning to attend since August but like I say , I enjoyed the game ( obviously shame about the result) and plan to attend as many games as possible from now on. I visited the club shop, brought a very snug Bees hat, brought a programme and a dog roll and tea and even put a couple of quid in the collection buckets.

Sorry to go on but I just wanted to post and say, even though things are really bad at present, I enjoyed the afternoon immensly and that the club has just got itself a couple of new regular fans !

It saddens me to read so many negative posts here so I thought Id add a few positive words :)
 

A Newbies View

Well welcome.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. The negative vibe is vented on here alot. Though it is still our club and I still love it. We are at a low point at the moment but if you enjoy it now you cannot imgain what its like on a high!!!!

You Beeeeeeessssssssssssss
 

A Newbies View

Ain't that nice. Can I be your new best friend?
 

A Newbies View

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a few lines to introduce myself and try and raise a bit of optimisim around these parts !

I attended yesterdays game with my father . It was our first visit to Griffin Park since 1990 and akthough the result went against us , we both really enjoyed the afternoon and will definetly be coming back !

To be truthful, we both used to go to Chelsea but it is simply far too expensive and since the money has been rolling in there it no longer felt like the club I used to watch regulary between 1981 - 1995 . Since '95 I've attended the odd game at Stamford Bridge but this year i realised that i miss the buzz of going to the footy regulary so I thought I'd give my local club a try - the mighty Bees !

Ok, so yesterday was my first visit even though I'd been planning to attend since August but like I say , I enjoyed the game ( obviously shame about the result) and plan to attend as many games as possible from now on. I visited the club shop, brought a very snug Bees hat, brought a programme and a dog roll and tea and even put a couple of quid in the collection buckets.

Sorry to go on but I just wanted to post and say, even though things are really bad at present, I enjoyed the afternoon immensly and that the club has just got itself a couple of new regular fans !

It saddens me to read so many negative posts here so I thought Id add a few positive words :)

Welcome back to Griffin Park. :)
 

A Newbies View

Well welcome.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. The negative vibe is vented on here alot. Though it is still our club and I still love it. We are at a low point at the moment but if you enjoy it now you cannot imgain what its like on a high!!!!

You Beeeeeeessssssssssssss

Theres lot of negativity at the moment becuase were still hurting at throwing away our league one status when challenging for the championship.

But as Oracle says, you can only imagine that special atmosphere when were on a high.
 

A Newbies View

Welcome to the GPG and welcome back to Brentford FC.

There are plenty of generous Bees supporters who will buy you a drink in the Griffin, pre or post match as well, we have to indulge..helps take away the pain ;) :wave:
 

A Newbies View

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a few lines to introduce myself and try and raise a bit of optimisim around these parts !

I attended yesterdays game with my father . It was our first visit to Griffin Park since 1990 and akthough the result went against us , we both really enjoyed the afternoon and will definetly be coming back !

To be truthful, we both used to go to Chelsea but it is simply far too expensive and since the money has been rolling in there it no longer felt like the club I used to watch regulary between 1981 - 1995 . Since '95 I've attended the odd game at Stamford Bridge but this year i realised that i miss the buzz of going to the footy regulary so I thought I'd give my local club a try - the mighty Bees !

Ok, so yesterday was my first visit even though I'd been planning to attend since August but like I say , I enjoyed the game ( obviously shame about the result) and plan to attend as many games as possible from now on. I visited the club shop, brought a very snug Bees hat, brought a programme and a dog roll and tea and even put a couple of quid in the collection buckets.

Sorry to go on but I just wanted to post and say, even though things are really bad at present, I enjoyed the afternoon immensly and that the club has just got itself a couple of new regular fans !

It saddens me to read so many negative posts here so I thought Id add a few positive words :)
Sorry everybody,

Nurse Ratchett here and I apologise if Burger has upset or misled anyone but we left him alone for a few minutes while the electrodes were off and he managed to get on line. Unfortunately he thinks he's Greg Dyke.
 

A Newbies View

Welcome, Burger.

It does get fractious on here at times but believe me the GPG is the place to come for info and at time a damn good laugh.

If it all sounds/feels a bit downbeat at the moment, it's years of play-off finals lost, increasing debt problems, a disastrous season in 06/07 and the fear that will happen to us again and we will be Blue Square bound. Chelsea it ain't but that's exactly why a lot of us are on here and at GP. There's lots of goodwill, passion and enthusiasm about the team about 1mm below the surface with us supporters and it doesn't take much before we get engaged with it all again and start hoping.

If you can't find info on the OS, always come on here and ask - someone will know.

Once again, welcome back.
 

A Newbies View

VERY similar to my story... first followed the bees in 1999, went to a couple of matches over the next few years then only had a passing interest for about 3 years until last season. finally went along to cheltenham at home (the 2-0 defeat) and got the bug again. this season im a season ticket holder, have been to 2 away games luton and the harrow friendly, plan to go to peterborough and am seriously thinking about going to MKDons... its a new life, and im thoroughly enjoying it, even if we don't always win!

welcome on board... just please understand, once you join theres no going back!
 

A Newbies View

Welcome. Its worth being reminded by messages like yours how special a place our home is. I brought a tv watching West Ham supporting mate and his two ten year olds to the game yesterday for their first experience. One of the boys supports Man U and the other Chelsea. They were all set for another boring day out with their Dad.

Their eyes were bright with excitement by the time they left. Burgers and coke at the grown ups pub. Standing right at the front of Ealing Rd. Keeping their eyes on the game in case the ball hit them. Catching it once and throwing it back. Banging on the advertising boards. Looking around them at all the noise when it got going. Abusing Wright. Throwing their hands up when a decision went against us. Trying to look as downhearted as me when the final whistle went...and my champagne moment..... joining in with the chants of "the referees a ****er" only luckily they misheard and came out with "the referees a sandwich" we joined in their new chant for the rest of the game. :)
 

A Newbies View

Welcome. Its worth being reminded by messages like yours how special a place our home is. I brought a tv watching West Ham supporting mate and his two ten year olds to the game yesterday for their first experience. One of the boys supports Man U and the other Chelsea. They were all set for another boring day out with their Dad.

Their eyes were bright with excitement by the time they left. Burgers and coke at the grown ups pub. Standing right at the front of Ealing Rd. Keeping their eyes on the game in case the ball hit them. Catching it once and throwing it back. Banging on the advertising boards. Looking around them at all the noise when it got going. Abusing Wright. Throwing their hands up when a decision went against us. Trying to look as downhearted as me when the final whistle went...and my champagne moment..... joining in with the chants of "the referees a ****er" only luckily they misheard and came out with "the referees a sandwich" we joined in their new chant for the rest of the game. :)

rofl That reminds me of when I took my mum and the chant of "Dirty Northern B*stards" was misheard by my mum as "Dirty Northern Pasties" lol
 

A Newbies View

Welcome. Its worth being reminded by messages like yours how special a place our home is. I brought a tv watching West Ham supporting mate and his two ten year olds to the game yesterday for their first experience. One of the boys supports Man U and the other Chelsea. They were all set for another boring day out with their Dad.

Their eyes were bright with excitement by the time they left. Burgers and coke at the grown ups pub. Standing right at the front of Ealing Rd. Keeping their eyes on the game in case the ball hit them. Catching it once and throwing it back. Banging on the advertising boards. Looking around them at all the noise when it got going. Abusing Wright. Throwing their hands up when a decision went against us. Trying to look as downhearted as me when the final whistle went...and my champagne moment..... joining in with the chants of "the referees a ****er" only luckily they misheard and came out with "the referees a sandwich" we joined in their new chant for the rest of the game. :)
Quality post and I can picture it now, my daughter is 13 and spends the whole game asking me not to shout out and embarrass her but as I explain my it's all part of grwoing up and I had to endure it as well.
 

A Newbies View

Originally Posted by KD
"the referees a sandwich"

sorry,Am I being thick? I dont get this


:confused:
 

A Newbies View

rofl That reminds me of when I took my mum and the chant of "Dirty Northern B*stards" was misheard by my mum as "Dirty Northern Pasties" lol

No, Mads, your Mum didn't mishear, she was just commenting on the catering.
 

A Newbies View

joining in with the chants of "the referees a ****er" only luckily they misheard and came out with "the referees a sandwich" we joined in their new chant for the rest of the game. :)

When my friend brought his kids and the a tasty chant started, he said oh great kids its the DUCK SONG

Make a beak with your left hand and sing:

Number number number one,
number one,
number one,
Number number number one,
number one,
number one,
Oh Quack, quack quack - quack
quack quack - quack
quack quack - quack
 

A Newbies View

When my friend brought his kids and the a tasty chant started, he said oh great kids its the DUCK SONG

Make a beak with your left hand and sing:

Number number number one,
number one,
number one,
Number number number one,
number one,
number one,
Oh Quack, quack quack - quack
quack quack - quack
quack quack - quack

.................that is funny....................:) ..................
 

A Newbies View

Were there more than usual at the Darlington game because of the absence of Premier League fixtures ?
 

A Newbies View

Which game of ruggers did Crapman go to then instead of supporting the Bees at home to Darlington ? :shrug:

I'd like to put on record that following a conversation with Mr Chapman lol that our Bees United Representative was in fact working at the rugby and getting his photo album up to date..

I think you are all being very harsh on him..:nono: lol

You'll have Larry questioning his loyalty next:eek:
 

A Newbies View

I'd like to put on record that following a conversation with Mr Chapman lol that our Bees United Representative was in fact working at the rugby and getting his photo album up to date..

I think you are all being very harsh on him..:nono: lol

I watched saturday's game from the Ealing Road in the company of Jon Gosling. Just as the second half was about to start Rich Hester came round the corner - always nice to see Rich. Then Brentford Bob came round the corner as well - always nice to see Bob. Then Greenholme came round the corner and launched straight in to "I'm gonna rip in to Chappers on the GPG, he's gone to some b1oody rugby match instead of supporting the Bees, he's on the BU Board but he's gone to rugby, I can't believe it ........ (the whinge continued for a period of time, quite how long no-one knows as whenever Nick starts speaking people automatically seem to turn off)

and now you reckon we're being harsh on him ?

:nono:


:D
 

A Newbies View

and now you reckon we're being harsh on him ?

:nono:


:D

That part was a little joke Bee H, certaintly a bit funnier than the display I saw on Saturday..
 

A Newbies View

Burger's original post on this thread epitomises this Club and why we keep on coming back despite the last couple of seasons rubbish.It's (reasonably)affordable live league football and, once the Bees are in the blood, there they stay, for better or worse.
My 14 and 12 year old children are totally committed Bees fans and regularly receive stick from their Surrey Man U. and Liverpool supporting school friends,most of whom couldn't point out Old Trafford or Anfield on a map.let alone having been there.
I recently accompanied my son on a school trip to Holland and, as we approached the Amsterdam Arena for a tour, the School teacher in charge told the kids that this stadium had a roof and asked if anyone could name a stadium in the UK that also had a roof.
My 12 year old son, quick as a flash, shouted out at the top of his voice to a coachload of 50 kids.... "GRIFFIN PARK" "WELL THE EALING ROAD END HAS ANYWAY" ...........priceless
 

A Newbies View

That part was a little joke Bee H, certaintly a bit funnier than the display I saw on Saturday..

:rolleyes: I know, check out the :D ;)

Your display wasn't bad especially the high pitched girlie screaming at the Asst Referee when he didn't give us a penalty for handball !:D
 

A Newbies View

We stand to the right of the goal in ER and shout "Off, off, off..." to every ref's decision including Mackie's wrong doings. It doesn't come across well in type but the group seems to be growing and is the only thing that is keeping me going. There is no way I am going to London Road to watch a 5-0 hammering but I'll see you there, if you know what I mean.;) It is crap but it's Brentford and life would be duller without them, even with these two in charge.:rolleyes:
 

A Newbies View

I can add a similar tale. I brought three new folk along on Saturday. One of my chums enjoyed it, but he is from Chster-le-Street, so say no more. The other two is a mate and his Mrs (well, partner) and he is a season ticket holder at Stamford Bridge. Come to GP, I said. Come and see real football!! He took me to Chelsea v Everton last Sunday, so I felt I owed him the favour (favour…???).

Anyway, to my immense surprise, he and his bint really enjoyed it. His comment was, you can see the players (not dots in the distance), you can hear them (and that’s a good thing…??), and he said there was a certain honesty about the place that you do not get in the premiership. He had never been to a game outside the top two divisions (he is in his early 40s). He admitted that we were sh1te, but did also say that he would be back, and his Mrs as well! So with Burger and his Dad, that’s four new converts!!
 

A Newbies View

I can add a similar tale. I brought three new folk along on Saturday. One of my chums enjoyed it, but he is from Chster-le-Street, so say no more. The other two is a mate and his Mrs (well, partner) and he is a season ticket holder at Stamford Bridge. Come to GP, I said. Come and see real football!! He took me to Chelsea v Everton last Sunday, so I felt I owed him the favour (favour…???).

Anyway, to my immense surprise, he and his bint really enjoyed it. His comment was, you can see the players (not dots in the distance), you can hear them (and that’s a good thing…??), and he said there was a certain honesty about the place that you do not get in the premiership. He had never been to a game outside the top two divisions (he is in his early 40s). He admitted that we were sh1te, but did also say that he would be back, and his Mrs as well! So with Burger and his Dad, that’s four new converts!!

Not surprised as I did think after the game that it was probably a decent game for the neutrals...it was pretty much end to end stuff and there was a fair bit of incident with both keepers pulling of blinding saves..usually makes a for a good game unless of course you lose.

I think if this was the first game after a decent winning run the GPG would feel very different.
 

A Newbies View

Not surprised as I did think after the game that it was probably a decent game for the neutrals...it was pretty much end to end stuff and there was a fair bit of incident with both keepers pulling of blinding saves..usually makes a for a good game unless of course you lose.

I think if this was the first game after a decent winning run the GPG would feel very different.
Unfortunately, those of us on here aren't neutrals and don't watch BFC expecting to be served up a feast of football, we just crave victory at home ..

Having said that my 13 year old daughter who enjoys the experience rather than follow Brentford, said on the way out that it had been the most exciting game she'd seen. It had a bit of everything, nasty northerners, late tackles, a pen, end to end football and plenty of goalmouth action.
 

A Newbies View

Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome. I was a bit concerned my Chelsea connections may not be very popular .

I can well understand though that you poor folks who have witnessed the clubs recent decline may find my optimistic views a trifile annoying but I just wanted to show my support from now on to everyone :)

Im very much looking forward to the Luton game next week, fingers crossed the lads get a result and hopefully get a above average crowd in the next round.

As I'm new to this league, I was looking at other sides attendances and I've been heartned to see that Brentford are pretty well supported (numbers wise) in comparison to sides like Barnet, Macclesfield, Dagenham etc..which certainly gives cause for optimisim as to what the crowds will rise to if the team are succesful.

Changing the subject slightly , I must say how enjoyable it was to get so close to the action on Saturday. We stood in the covered stand at the end and it was great to see the effort the players put in and to hear what they were saying. - a far cry from my last visit to Stamford Bridge , where the players are so far away from the back of the stand.

Anyway I'd better sign off now, nice reading all the replys .

Keep the faith folks , It'll get better - trust me ;)
 

A Newbies View

Welcome to the GPG Burger and thank you for the upbeat message!

Alas we have a lot of negativity around Brentford at the moment following a truly terrible season. There is a definite hangover from the Rosenior/Fitzgerald season and some have a real problem with shaking it off!

Is the product better than last season? Yes
Is there real effort being shown by the players? Yes
Do we create chances in games? Yes
Are we missing out on a bit of luck in games? Yes
Did Sir Alex Ferguson win the title in his first few seasons? No
It is very frustrating that we still let silly goals and penalties in which makes life really difficult but will we get it right? Yes
Are we bottom of the table? No
Are some perhaps over-reacting? Yes
 

A Newbies View

Welcome to the GPG Burger and thank you for the upbeat message!

Alas we have a lot of negativity around Brentford at the moment following a truly terrible season. There is a definite hangover from the Rosenior/Fitzgerald season and some have a real problem with shaking it off!

1)Is the product better than last season? Yes
2)Is there real effort being shown by the players? Yes
3)Do we create chances in games? Yes
4)Are we missing out on a bit of luck in games? Yes
5)Did Sir Alex Ferguson win the title in his first few seasons? No
6)It is very frustrating that we still let silly goals and penalties in which makes life really difficult but will we get it right? Yes
7)Are we bottom of the table? No
8)Are some perhaps over-reacting? Yes

1) Debatable
2) Probably
3) Create but don't convert many, which is better?
4) Not really, we've been thrashed at home on many occassions
5) Can't see that this is relevant?
6) Our back four is slow, imobile and inept.
7) I would hope not, this is a VERY poor division and one division lower than last season.
8) No I don't think they are.

However great to see another person hooked, welcome to GP mate! If you enjoyed Saturday, it only can get better so you're in for a treat..
 

A Newbies View

Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome. I was a bit concerned my Chelsea connections may not be very popular .

I can well understand though that you poor folks who have witnessed the clubs recent decline may find my optimistic views a trifile annoying but I just wanted to show my support from now on to everyone :)

Im very much looking forward to the Luton game next week, fingers crossed the lads get a result and hopefully get a above average crowd in the next round.

As I'm new to this league, I was looking at other sides attendances and I've been heartned to see that Brentford are pretty well supported (numbers wise) in comparison to sides like Barnet, Macclesfield, Dagenham etc..which certainly gives cause for optimisim as to what the crowds will rise to if the team are succesful.

Changing the subject slightly , I must say how enjoyable it was to get so close to the action on Saturday. We stood in the covered stand at the end and it was great to see the effort the players put in and to hear what they were saying. - a far cry from my last visit to Stamford Bridge , where the players are so far away from the back of the stand.

Anyway I'd better sign off now, nice reading all the replys .

Keep the faith folks , It'll get better - trust me ;)


as long as you're not a QPR supporter, you're more than welcome !, have no problems with Chelsea supporters at all.................. (remember the 70's/80's when Watford came to town and BFC and CFC worked well together!)

also left a message on the Luton ticket thread about the 'newbies' and that football (i know the footballs sh*te!) at BFC is what a lot of Premier supporters of days past seem to miss at games now. the banter and fun is still alive at GP towers ! bring more with you !!
 

A Newbies View

Quality post and I can picture it now, my daughter is 13 and spends the whole game asking me not to shout out and embarrass her but as I explain my it's all part of grwoing up and I had to endure it as well.
lol lol lol Wild horses couldn't stop you shouting out so she's got no chance ;)

Welcome to Burger, I think this makes you the 2nd returner this week, doesn't it?
 

A Newbies View

For new fans like 'Burger' and myself, can any of you lot fill us in some of the club's history and culture? For instance:

Who are the Bee's arch enemies?
Can you name some legendary players/managers?
Is there a club song/chant?
When was the club's 'golden' age?

Stuff like that.

Thanks
 

A Newbies View

For new fans like 'Burger' and myself, can any of you lot fill us in some of the club's history and culture? For instance:

Who are the Bee's arch enemies?
Can you name some legendary players/managers?
Is there a club song/chant?
When was the club's 'golden' age?

Stuff like that.

Thanks

QPR and Fulham
Managers : Martin Allen, Steve Coppell and Steve Perryman from the last 20
years
Players : Loads but only one posts on here. ;)
Hey Jude
More sepia now I'm afraid - the Thirties.
 

A Newbies View

For new fans like 'Burger' and myself, can any of you lot fill us in some of the club's history and culture? For instance:

Who are the Bee's arch enemies?
Can you name some legendary players/managers?
Is there a club song/chant?
When was the club's 'golden' age?

Stuff like that.

Thanks

Fulham and Ron Noades
Jimmy Hill, Ron Greenwood, Pele and Bob Booker
Hey Jude and Super Brentford
The Fred Callaghan years with a midfield of Terry Hurlock. Chris "Unbelievable Jeff" Kamara, Sir Stanley Bowles and erm Gary Roberts.
 

A Newbies View

As I'm new to this league, I was looking at other sides attendances and I've been heartned to see that Brentford are pretty well supported (numbers wise) in comparison to sides like Barnet, Macclesfield, Dagenham etc..which certainly gives cause for optimisim as to what the crowds will rise to if the team are succesful.

Sadly not Burger. The crowds aren't bad by 4th division standards but nothing more than that. We have our regular hard core of 4-5,000 but the big latent support base that we could draw on up until the '80's has evaporated. However well we do, it seems we can't attract more than 6 - 7,000 these days. There aren't many casual supporters sitting at home just waitng for some on field success to encourage them through the turnstiles.

How sad, by the way, to see a direct comparison, albeit well intentioned and probably realistic, with the likes of Dagenham and Macclesfield :( Its a stark indicator of how far we have fallen in the public perception.
 
Back
Top Bottom