Allan Cockram

Sultan

Well-known member
Joined
19 Mar 2001
Messages
10,915
Reaction score
5,111
Location
The Staines Riviera

Allan Cockram

I was chatting to him after the centenary game in Stripes and he is no longer involved in football. He is now in the fire brigade. As I can remember he was an alright player with long girlie hair. He later managed St. Albans and one season the Isthmian league trialled a new rule of being allowed to kick the ball in instead of throw ins (it obviously didn't catch on). Alan never believed with this change of rule and for the whole season they just carried on with throw ins as normal and he stuck to his principals. I admired him for his stand against the tampering of football rules more than his footballing skills.

Seemed a decent enough chap.
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

I remember a low diving header in the last minute of a game to earn a draw in a game we needed not to lose. Scored in the Royal Oak end. Superb.
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

His performance v Northampton away, in the year when we were bottom of the league and then had that storming run under Perryman, was superb. It was his 1st game back after a very long injury and Cobblers boys I knew said something like " That Gippo was brilliant". Anyone else remeber this, I think Deano lost some teeth scoring that day?
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

AC was instrumental in our glorious cup run to the q/f's in 88-89........superb set piece player :) :sorted:

not much of a tackler though :nono: lol
great hair though :D
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

Banana said:
I remember a low diving header in the last minute of a game to earn a draw in a game we needed not to lose. Scored in the Royal Oak end. Superb.

I think he and Blissett had come on as subs and both scored.
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

NorthamptonBee said:
His performance v Northampton away, in the year when we were bottom of the league and then had that storming run under Perryman, was superb. It was his 1st game back after a very long injury and Cobblers boys I knew said something like " That Gippo was brilliant". Anyone else remeber this, I think Deano lost some teeth scoring that day?

Deano lost his teeth at Maine Road in a League Cup tie, I remember him spitting them out in front of the away end. lol
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

Jimbee said:
I think he and Blissett had come on as subs and both scored.
Yes. It's all coming back to me now.
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

I remember him scoring at home to Huddeersfield inbright sunshine on opening day of the season. He chipped the keepr from about 25 yards at Brrok Road end.

I also thought he was brilliant cos he's come to the dugouts before the start of each game and take a swig of brandy from a particular supporters hipflask. He did it EVERY game with out fail then would always run back on to carry on warming up with very localised cheers ringing in his ears. :sorted:
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

Still probably my favourite Bee of all time. Watch the goals of the season videos from about 88-92...some classic Cockram strikes in there.
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

wibs said:
I remember him scoring at home to Huddeersfield inbright sunshine on opening day of the season. He chipped the keepr from about 25 yards at Brrok Road end.

I also thought he was brilliant cos he's come to the dugouts before the start of each game and take a swig of brandy from a particular supporters hipflask. He did it EVERY game with out fail then would always run back on to carry on warming up with very localised cheers ringing in his ears. :sorted:

Just remembering that one as I read this - my secong game at GP and my father's first since about 1949 he reckons - started him off again and he's probably done a good few hundred since. He was toying with the idea of going to Wimbledon - Arsenal.
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

One of my all-time favourite players was Mr Cockram.never forget seeing him doing his little jig against Mansfielsd on a tuesday night when i was about 6 years old,It was very foggie that night and I remember going on the pitch with a police officer to get all the players autographs.
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

wibs said:
I remember him scoring at home to Huddeersfield inbright sunshine on opening day of the season. He chipped the keepr from about 25 yards at Brrok Road end. :sorted:


i remember that, we won 1-0. i'm sure it was up the ealing road end though. good old. good old allan. he was a postman round brentford last i heard. :fishing:
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

wibs said:
I remember him scoring at home to Huddeersfield inbright sunshine on opening day of the season. He chipped the keepr from about 25 yards at Brrok Road end. :sorted:


i remember that, we won 1-0. i'm sure it was up the ealing road end though. good old allan cock. he was a postman round brentford last i heard. :fishing:
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

I think Perryman saw AC as a luxury player and he dropped him for Simon Ratcliffe for the Blackburn cup tie in 89. He was never going to play in a Holder team what with his ability to pass to feet etc and it was a shame he left. That diving header was a late equaliser in the game where tickets for Anfield were going on sale afterwards so half the crowd had left already to join in Keith Loring's magical mystery tour of Braemar Road. He could easily have tapped the ball in but he chose to dive headlong instead - class.
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

Wise old Bee said:
I think Perryman saw AC as a luxury player and he dropped him for Simon Ratcliffe for the Blackburn cup tie in 89. He was never going to play in a Holder team what with his ability to pass to feet etc and it was a shame he left. That diving header was a late equaliser in the game where tickets for Anfield were going on sale afterwards so half the crowd had left already to join in Keith Loring's magical mystery tour of Braemar Road. He could easily have tapped the ball in but he chose to dive headlong instead - class.

oh yeah, bury 2-2. i think roger stanislaus scored the other one. my mate queued up for liverpool tickets and was gutted to miss the late bees revival. we should have won the cup that year! :idea:
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

St Albans, I think
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

Chertsey Town and St Albans
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

very average player..he did however score a fantastic goal once..it was the year before we lost to tranmere in the playoffs. We were pushing for a play off place at the end of that season as well.. we were drawing the game and late on the goaly hashed a clearance, the ball came to AC who chipped it in from about 30+ yards, a bit like sidwel versus stoke two years ago!
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

mhead bee said:
very average player..

Mhead Bee....should rename you Dhead Bee....AC is still right up there with the most skillful players to grace the GP turf in my 20 years supporting the club
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

How memories fade in the mists of time...next thing someone will say Terry Scales was the Patrick Vierra of his time.....Alan Cockram was a good player but nothing exceptional.....
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

What do you know ? You're Sc*ttish
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

'Twas a joke..... :rolleyes:
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

Mikey Bee said:
What do you know ? You're Sc*ttish

My job means I am often in Scotland...does not mean I am Scottish !!! Is California Bee American or Tellboycyp a Cypriot....I don't think so....do not assume my friend......and i would bet I have seen more Bees games than you will ever see... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

lol :hat: lol

Remember him doing all the hands in the air sh*t as if he was going to swing a free kick to the back post and then lamped one into the top corner inches inside the near post.
It was late on in a game at home and I don't remember who it was against, I just remember the keeper being made to look a right muppet as he had taken a few steps towards the wrong post to come and claim a non existent cross..... class.
 

Allan Cockram

Re: Alan Cockram

Wiggle it, just a little bit, come on Alan !!!
Ah Memories of the AC bum shuffle.
 

Allan Cockram

I think he and Blissett had come on as subs and both scored.

Just watched the goals v Fulham video in the BFC Media thread and saw Blisset score and then the perm come to congratulate him. For some reason whenever I think of Cockram the above game shoots to mind - well Cockram's diving header anyway.......

:sorted:


I missed the centenary game - can we have another one please!
 

Allan Cockram

I teach his daughter. Saw him at parents evening last week but couldn't get to speak to him. Still looks fit although the long curly locks have been forsaken for short cropped hair.
 

Allan Cockram

Will always remember him for his cartwheel celebrations (may have been at a friendly). Definitly one of my favourite Bees players.
 

Allan Cockram

lol :hat: lol

Remember him doing all the hands in the air sh*t as if he was going to swing a free kick to the back post and then lamped one into the top corner inches inside the near post.
It was late on in a game at home and I don't remember who it was against, I just remember the keeper being made to look a right muppet as he had taken a few steps towards the wrong post to come and claim a non existent cross..... class.

I think that was Huddersfield at home, first game of the 88-89 season. I think.:confused:

Remember Mr. Cockram being a substitute, and warming up in the Ealing rd/Braemar rd. corner wearing the really puffy style, blue subs tracksuits. The ball went out for a goal-kick, Alan chipped it back to the 'keeper and fell on his arse. The New road (pre Billy 'the ****ing ****' Bee) sang the wiggle it song, and he did. Wiggle his muddied backside, that is. Good man.:sorted:
 

Allan Cockram

Cockram's still living in Brentford apparently, and turned up for last year's There'll Always be a Brentford play with his daughters at the Questors.
 
Back
Top Bottom