Andy Scott - A weak link ???

GABS

Well-known member
Joined
17 Apr 2000
Messages
13,668
Reaction score
12,431

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

This one has been building up in me for a while and I'm surprised more people dont' say it - Andy Scott is big time pants !

Sorry but what has he EVER produced for us. When he first came he scored a few goals. Then he got injured and has basically done bugger all except run around alot.

The game against Fulham he missed a sitter and was generally joe average. Compare him to Rowlands when he's on the opposite wing and you see what we are missing on the left.

I know that decent left sided players are hard to come by but if we r moaning that a striker is needed that will not be any good with Mr Scott playing for us.

Overall a distinctly Div 3 player. Sorry to sound harsh buts its the way I (any many Bees mates) see it.

Comments ???
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

When he played for Sutton United he was considered a luxury player who could do great things but NOT for 90 minutes.I would have felt he has improved since playing league football but I do share the opinion that he could do more in some games.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

I'd be inclined to go the other way and say that after Rowlands, Andy Scott (technically) is our next best player, however he is so inconsistent it is unreal.

I agree with Edmundo, when he says that if Scott could play to the best of his ability in all (or at least 90% of the games he played) he would be a premiership player.

I would say Andy Scott is our most frustrating player, followed be Scott Partridge.

I would also say that Owusu is our most underrated player, simply because he knows where the back of the net is, has scored regularly for the past two seasons, yet still gets a load of stick.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Thomas accurately represents my views. Basically if Andy Scott has a good season, Brentford has a good season. But I'm not sure which comes first. Does Andy Scott play well because the team around him is on form - or is it the other way round. We saw in the relegation season that he isn't the man you need when things are going badly - but he can be the icing on the cake when things are going well.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

I agree with Edmundo - I think Andy Scott is definately a fair weather player. He seems to put himself about much more if the team is ahead. When we're not, his head goes down and he seems to adopt a 'couldn't care less' attitude and he slows up and never chases lost causes. My problem is that I don't know whether this qualifies him to be left out or not..?
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

What has he ever produced for us?

Relegation season home game v Oldham. A goal and a superb run from inside his own half down the wing to put in an inch perfect cross to Sir Bob. I believe a certain Danny Boxall was Oldham's Right Back in that game.

One of the few positive moments in a depressing season (although curiously one I enjoyed more than the one just passed).

PS Happy 28th Birthday to him for Wednesday 2nd August (my 28th too which is why I remember it!)
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Best leave the fair weathered one on the bench then.Hes got pace over Gibbs but doesnt use it hardly ever.Gibbo is slower but a more commited player who wil give 100 % every game which is what you need at this level.We could use Scott tactically,if Lew ever learns what that means
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

I think he's underrated.He came in the relegation season which was a difficult period and never got the home crowd on his side. I agree with above, when he plays well, Brentford play well as he adds much needed balance on the left hand side. I think Ron feels that way and will almost certainly have him in the starting line up.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

After last seasons dismal showing, I would say there are several players in the squad. (Partridge, Owusu, and most certainly Scott) who deserve no more than say half a dozen games to prove that last year was just a temporary aberration.

We cant afford to carry players who dont contribute much. Unfortunately, the showings of all of these three in the pre season friendlies doesnt seem to indicate thay are very likely to improve their contribution.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Scott and Folan are two very good players but lack in getting involved in games that is why last season they was on the pitch very little last together ?
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Isleworth Bee, Owusu contributed 15 goals last season in his first season in the 2nd division . . . and with better service and a decent strike partner he could double that in this division in my opinion. 39 goals in 96 starts in your first 2 seasons as a pro is pretty good going.

Also, from what I have seen of him pre season, despite the results and performance of the rest of the team, he personally looks like he has improved his touch and also looked sharper.

[This message has been edited by Thomas Bathurst (edited 06 August 2000).]
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Well said Thomas B.

Owusu has looked sharp in the pre season games I have seen. He will struggle to score whilst he is not given the service.

Also, remember Asaba's second full season was diabolical at Reading. I see no reason why Lloyd, who will have been disappointed with last season, cannot do the same. In fact I expect he will do more than answer such criticism given time.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Andy Scott`s got loads of ability but will never win everybody over whilst he insists on bottling 50/50`s. I know every player has weaknesses but IMHO fans will forgive any shortcomings as long as 100% is put into EVERY tackle/header/challenge.
That is why people loved Charlie Oatway...not the most gifted of players (under-rated though) but i never saw him shirk anything. You need people like that....there`s plenty before of similar trait - Andy Feeley & Jamie Murray spring to mind . Not the most talented of players but so much commitment, real team players.

In the context of our young squad, Scott`s a "senior pro". He should be a contender for captain if Evo was out but i`m sure his name wouldnt be considered. Or maybe it should in case it had the desired effect? He should be "looked up to" by the youngsters but i dont think he is.

Scott`s an enigma - if he got his act together consistently he could be a superb player.

Personally i`d pick Gibbs ahead of him purely for the extra bottle & bite that he will provide. He`s also got a decent left peg too.

PJ
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Well at the risk of courting controversy I have to disagree completely with you Thomas B and Jimbo.

Even if you were happy with the level of commitment Lloyd put in last year, I hope you wont mind me saying that I wasnt. I dont think he showed anything like the sort of commitment, effort, ability or workrate I would expect from a striker and if he cant improve this season we either have to replace him quickly or struggle to stay up.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

I agree that Lloyd had a poor season but I think it is a little soon to write him off.
Remember that last season was only his second in pro football and he was playing at a higher level in a team struggling to score goals and low in confidence.
This board shows that we all have different ideas on how players are coming on or how they are performing. In fact it is the diversity of opinions that makes the board one of my favs on the web.
However, I find it amazing that you can start to talk about the end of a footballers career at such an early stage. Perhaps you were expecting too much from him last season?
No players learning curve is vertical, they all have bad spells. If Lloyd scores another fifteen goals this season I do not believe that anyone can suggest that he is unworthy of the red and white stripes.
However, he can only perform if the team is performing. I feel that this needs to be appreciated in order to give every player a fair rating.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Im not writing off his career at all. All I am saying is that I am not convinced that he merits automatic inclusion in the starting 11. If McCammon is fit he should play and to start with I would probably put him with Scotty P.

Now we have a reserve team again, Lloyd could well benefit from the opportunity to regain his sharpness and show us all that he is capable of playing at this level.

Anyway if he plays he will get everyones backing including mine.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Sorry to disagree but I would put Lloyd above Scotty P & start him with Mcgammon
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Can't we all get off Andy's back.

He can be frustrating at times, but magic other times.

Andy, I believe, is one that gives 100% when he does perform and compare him to Paul Stephenson and Andy is a far better quality player!
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

I am sorry I do not agree that Andy Scott is better than Stepho, he was class and if people had not been have a go at him so much he would have done better.

Andy Scott has in my mind been too long at Brentford. He is a waste of space
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

Andy Scott's major problem is not one of ability or commitment but of injury proneness. In both of the last two seasons he (and the team) have made a very bright start to the year, then picked up an injury which kept him out for a few months and not been able to reproduce his earlier form when he comes back from the injury. Rather worryingly, when he has got injured the form of the team has plummeted.

This leads me to two conclusions -
1) we lack depth in the squad, we need some competition for Andy's place so that if he's injured our form doesn't collapse
2) maybe he has rushed back too soon when injured in the past(if you don't feel fit, you don't push yourself to the limit)

Hopefully with the preseason under his belt and no injury problems, we're going to see the influential player that he is capable of being.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

A little harsh there Doc.

Lloyd is still a young player and although he did have a poor season I think that he suffered from the move up in class, nagging injuries, a fall in confidence and a lack of opportunities. I am sure you will appreciate that such factors can play havoc with the mind of a young man in such a pressurised profesion.

As for Andy Scott, well we all know that he blows hot and cold. I must admit that I have not made the connection between the team playing well coinciding with an upturn in his performance. I do not think that such a coincidence exists. I was often more frustrated by his performance on victorious afternoons!

I know little about the bloke, or what motivates him, but at the present time I feel that it is not particularly constructive to describe him as you have chosen (ie only interested in picking up his money). He is the only option on that side and, as such, we should get behind him. However, I also feel that he, like others, would benefit from some competition, perhaps from a younger man. Again, psychologically, I am sure such a scenario may encourage more consistent outings from him.
 

Andy Scott - A weak link ???

With all these new goalkeepers, at least he won't need to go in goal this season!
 
Back
Top Bottom