Ashes 2013

stedders

Moderator
Joined
18 Apr 2000
Messages
4,192
Reaction score
384
Location
Whitton (the Surrey end!)

Ashes 2013

ECB have (already) announced dates for next season's Ashes summer.

June 26-29 v Somerset (Taunton)
July 2-5 v Worcestershire (Worcester)
1st TEST July 10-14 (Trent Bridge)
2nd TEST July 18-22 (Lord's)
July 26-28 v Sussex (Hove)
3rd TEST August 1-5 (Old Trafford)
4th TEST August 9-13 (Durham)
August 16-17 v Northamptonshire (Northampton)
5th TEST August 21-25 (Oval)
1st T20 August 29 (Ageas Bowl)
2nd T20 August 31 (Durham)
September 3 v Scotland (Edinburgh)
1st ODI September 6 v(Headingley)
2nd ODI September 8 v England (Old Trafford)
3rd ODI September 11 v England (Edgbaston)
4th ODI September 14 v England (Cardiff)
5th ODI September 16 v England (Ageas Bowl)
 

Ashes 2013

I'm all for having new test grounds but what is Durham's capacity? I seem to remember when they staged a test against West Indies a few years ago it was pretty much empty. Given the tradition of the ashes I'd have liked to have seen Headingly or Edgbaston get a test.
 

Ashes 2013

Definitely should have had a test at Edgbaston, second biggest cricket ground in the country!
 

Ashes 2013

There should always be a Convict test in Leeds to ensure 81 is never forgotten.
 

Ashes 2013

The Aussies won't fancy Durham, it gets a bit nippy up there.
 

Ashes 2013

Where is Ageas?

The Rose Bowl. Hampshire CC.
New Sponsored name of the ground. Also, the second equal, capacity wise, ground in England at 25k, with Edgbaston.
 

Ashes 2013

Great to see OT has an Ashes Test. Would have had Edgbaston instead of Durham but hey ho.
 

Ashes 2013

I'm also disappointed that Edgbaston does not get a test match.
It may not be the prettiest test venue, but it creates a great atmosphere for the really big events and considerable money has been spent in recent years in brining the stadium up to scratch.
 

Ashes 2013

The 2015 Ashes venues are:

Lord's, Trent Bridge, Cardiff, Edgbaston, The Oval.

Should London really get 4 Tests out of 10?
 

Ashes 2013

The 2015 Ashes venues are:

Lord's, Trent Bridge, Cardiff, Edgbaston, The Oval.

Should London really get 4 Tests out of 10?

Yes.
 

Ashes 2013

Why are we playing them in 2015 as well? I know the next series in Australia has been brought forward a year to avoid going straight from the ashes to a world cup but why the home series. I love the ashes but if it happens so regularly it loses its quality if there's too much cricket. As for the London grounds, I can see why people complain but I don't think you can have an ashes series without a Lords test and at least with the oval you have a large ground which is guaranteed to sell out.
 

Ashes 2013

Why are we playing them in 2015 as well?

2017 home series has been brought forward to 2015 to avoid a 3 and a half-year gap between Ashes series. The 2017 series will then be played in Oz and the 2019 in the UK. So there will be 15 Ashes Tests in 24 months between 2013 and 2015, which is a bit like having Xmas 3 times a year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/9380215.stm
 

Ashes 2013

I would agree with the comments that there is a danger of Ashes "overkill". It was the fact that a home series only came along once every four years, that made it so special for me and I think there is a danger of overdoing it. It makes it seem slightly less "special".
I think the added oddity about next year's series is that it will be followed just four or five months later by the return series in Australia.
 

Ashes 2013

Also next Summer is a 3-match test series against New Zealand in May / June with test matches at Lords, Headlingley and Trent Bridge. Followed by the usual rounds ODIs and T20 matches.

Then there will be a ICC Champions Trophy, with group matches taking place between 6 and 17 June at Cardiff, Oval and Edgbaston. Semi finals will be Oval and Cardiff on 19 and 20 June.
Final at Edgbaston on 23 June.
 

Ashes 2013

I believe it is going to be the last ever Champions Trophy, which is probably a good thing. I thought it was only two tests against new zealand? Its been years since we had 8 tests in a summer.
 

Ashes 2013

Sorry, you're correct. It is only two tests against New Zealand. Trent Bridge is the third ODI, NOT test match.

And the 1st NZ Test at Lord's is devalued by the fact that their best players won't be playing as the IPL only finishes the day before. Wonder how much the MCC will get away with charging for what's effectively a 2nd-class Test?
 

Ashes 2013

And the 1st NZ Test at Lord's is devalued by the fact that their best players won't be playing as the IPL only finishes the day before. Wonder how much the MCC will get away with charging for what's effectively a 2nd-class Test?

Have the New Zealand players actually said they won't play? I'd be surprised if Vettori didn't play as I don't think he plays ODI's and t20's anymore, only tests. McCullum and Ryder tend to go for big money in the ipl auction so maybe they won't play in the tests.
 

Ashes 2013

1st TEST July 10-14 (Trent Bridge)

Ordered 4 tickets for the 1st day of the 1st test this morning

Buzzing
 

Ashes 2013

ECB have (already) announced dates for next season's Ashes summer.

June 26-29 v Somerset (Taunton)

July 2-5 v Worcestershire (Worcester)
1st TEST July 10-14 (Trent Bridge)
2nd TEST July 18-22 (Lord's)
July 26-28 v Sussex (Hove)
3rd TEST August 1-5 (Old Trafford)
4th TEST August 9-13 (Durham)
August 16-17 v Northamptonshire (Northampton)
5th TEST August 21-25 (Oval)
1st T20 August 29 (Ageas Bowl)
2nd T20 August 31 (Durham)
September 3 v Scotland (Edinburgh)
1st ODI September 6 v(Headingley)
2nd ODI September 8 v England (Old Trafford)
3rd ODI September 11 v England (Edgbaston)
4th ODI September 14 v England (Cardiff)
5th ODI September 16 v England (Ageas Bowl)

I'll be there!
 

Ashes 2013

Just purchased for old Trafford 4 th day....
 
Back
Top Bottom