Bees United

amersfoort bee

Active member
Joined
26 Jan 2003
Messages
2,439
Reaction score
767
Location
netherlands

Bees United

I see that there are only about 300 individuals paying to Bees United (I am one of them).

Is there any real reason for me to keep making these payments?
 

Bees United

I asked myself that question a few years back so asked Bees United the same question. I received no reply which was a good enough answer for me.
 

Bees United

Personally I think that BU seem to be doing a lot more for their members (and the general BFC fanbase) recently.

Maybe someone will be along shortly? @TheProf ?
 

Bees United

I fancy I have contributed over £4000 since I took up membership of BU. Is there any reason to continue paying? To be fair to BU I have recently had some communications from them (after a gap of many years) saying that I can keep my membership even if I stop paying.

Is it still necessary (or desirably or even appropriate) to continue to give money to BU.
 

Bees United

I fancy I have contributed over £4000 since I took up membership of BU. Is there any reason to continue paying? To be fair to BU I have recently had some communications from them (after a gap of many years) saying that I can keep my membership even if I stop paying.

Is it still necessary (or desirably or even appropriate) to continue to give money to BU.

I am sure that it is entirely up to you. The fact is that they don't NEED your money, but I am sure that they would say (as I do) that it makes BU a stronger organisation if you do. Saving for a rainy day / pandemic etc.

In an ordinary year BU spends about £6k out of its £25k income. This year wasn't a normal year as they basically covered the direct costs of the BFC Drone - which of course is a magnificent idea and one that they should be doing more of IMHO. So it's outgoing such as that that your contributions will make happen. BU are also producing a book for BFC supporters that will be paid for out of reserves and made available free to BFC supporters - so it's these types of initiatives that get funded.

BU has £325k in the bank so it is unlikely to run out of money soon, but then again, it cannot be allowed to run out of money as it holds the Golden Share.
 

Bees United

On the Bees United website there is an article https://www.beesunited.org.uk/news/bees-united-publish-accounts/ which explains all about their accounts, how they raise money, what they spend it on and what they plan to do next. They also thank those who continue to donate even though membership is now free.The recent AGM of BU was the best attended for many years and the circulation of the monthly newsletter has doubled in a year.
If there ever was another threat to the future of the club,which won't happen under Matthew Benham but who can rule it out further ahead in the future,Brentford supporters will need an organisation with the resources to move quickly. How many supporters of other clubs can say they have that?
 

Bees United

On the Bees United website there is an article https://www.beesunited.org.uk/news/bees-united-publish-accounts/ which explains all about their accounts, how they raise money, what they spend it on and what they plan to do next. They also thank those who continue to donate even though membership is now free.The recent AGM of BU was the best attended for many years and the circulation of the monthly newsletter has doubled in a year.
If there ever was another threat to the future of the club,which won't happen under Matthew Benham but who can rule it out further ahead in the future,Brentford supporters will need an organisation with the resources to move quickly. How many supporters of other clubs can say they have that?

I assume that if the club went into administration, under Matthew or any other owner, the golden share is null and void?
 

Bees United

I see that there are only about 300 individuals paying to Bees United (I am one of them).

Is there any real reason for me to keep making these payments?

Hi Amersfoort,

I think Banana and the Prof have covered it pretty well. You are one of around 350 members who continue to make regular donations and although you could say we don't NEED it, we are extremely grateful to you and all the others for that do make these donations. As 'nana says we have c. £325k in bank accounts at the moment. That is really for a day for if and when us supporters need to step in again - as we have done in the past. Hopefully that won't be needed for a very long time if ever - but you just never know. To be fair, in a worst case scenario, that money wouldn't last long at all but it might be enough to buy us the initial time needed to get something longer term set up.

In the meantime the regular donations allow us to contribute to initiatives such as the drone (last year) and the book (this year). At the moment we are also working on something else that I'm sure will be of benefit to fans, the club and the community (watch this space).

PM me if you want to chat further.
 

Bees United

I asked myself that question a few years back so asked Bees United the same question. I received no reply which was a good enough answer for me.

Hello Les. Very sorry that you didn't get a reply back then.

I should say we very much appreciate ALL members of Bees United - whether contributing donations or not. We still have a seat on the Football Club Board and more members we have the more representative of the fan base we can be - and the more we can put forward the case of the fans if/when needed (working with other fans groups like BIAS and Beesotted).

Again, please do PM me if you'd like to chat further.
 

Bees United

I reduced my payment to a couple of quid a month a few years ago. I'm happy to pay that because you never know when you need an insurance policy. £350k may not be a lot in the scheme of things but it's handy sum to have in cash should unforeseen sh*t hit the fan.
 

Bees United

I assume that if the club went into administration, under Matthew or any other owner, the golden share is null and void?

That situation would definitely be one for the lawyers. It is another reason why a supporters trust needs resources, just in case.
The principle benefit of the special share is that it stops an owner asset stripping the club. It cannot guarantee a successful outcome in the event of administration or insolvency.
Fortunately no sign at present that any of these circumstances is likely.
 

Bees United

That situation would definitely be one for the lawyers. It is another reason why a supporters trust needs resources, just in case.
The principle benefit of the special share is that it stops an owner asset stripping the club. It cannot guarantee a successful outcome in the event of administration or insolvency.
Fortunately no sign at present that any of these circumstances is likely.

A yes would have sufficed. :)
 

Bees United

A yes would have sufficed. :)

But we are not in administration. How many PL/FL club have changed hands without going into administration? Not sure why you want to focus on worst-case scenarios when there are plenty of others where being a major creditor and "special" shareholder are a advantage for supporters to have in their hands.
 

Bees United

But we are not in administration. How many PL/FL club have changed hands without going into administration? Not sure why you want to focus on worst-case scenarios when there are plenty of others where being a major creditor and "special" shareholder are a advantage for supporters to have in their hands.

I prefer my surprises to be happy ones.
 

Bees United

I asked myself that question a few years back so asked Bees United the same question. I received no reply which was a good enough answer for me.

Exactly the same for me. Used to have a monthly Standing Order. Asked what my money was going towards but never received a response. So cancelled it.
 

Bees United

Exactly the same for me. Used to have a monthly Standing Order. Asked what my money was going towards but never received a response. So cancelled it.

Apologies that you didn't get a response NP Bee. Hopefully we are improving on the communications front. (Many thanks for your earlier donations)
 

Bees United

Bees United wants to link up with members who may not be on the circulation list for the monthly newsletter and other communications. One of the BU Board team. John Scott, is trying to contact almost 3,000 people who at some point were on a membership list but some of these people do not have registered e-mail addresses or the e-mail address is no longer valid. If you are one of those who has not been getting BU comms, contact John [email protected] and he will rectify the situation for you.
 
Back
Top Bottom