Fantastic to hear all this about the juniors. Why isn't there more publicity about their resounding success on the official site and good luck the defending Championes in Ireland.
http://mobile.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/ipswich-match-report-29.7.13-951252.aspx
http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/milk-cup-2013-day-one-950737.aspx
There's more content to follow tonight and every day.
Brentford is one of the few clubs sending people out there to cover the tournament.
Listened to it in the car on the way home from work. What a great piece of PR work it was. Ose came over really well and the two presenters were bigging up Brentford nearly ever other sentence. Send the best kids to the BEES.
The future is bright and it's Brentford. One of the presenters was going on about a goal scored by one of the juniors in a game he watched, a proper centre Forward, his name was Courtney. Courtney Senior I think. All good stuff
I don't know the details so someone might fill this in. Father of one of the boys in my football team has got a really talented 9 year old. Tried out a Reading, QPR, Fulham but now plays in a Berkshire side that is run by Brentford. He said that the coaching is way above anything else offered and he couldn't be happier that his son plays for them. Any clues what the set up there is?
Very soon the academy needs to produce a player worthy of our first team.
As far as I am aware we have only produced one player of note in the past decade.
Harsh but true.
I still have faith BFC will produce.
Understand and agree but I reckon you need to see this set up run 5 years before it starts getting proper results.
Very soon the academy needs to produce a player worthy of our first team.
As far as I am aware we have only produced one player of note in the past decade.
Harsh but true.
I still have faith BFC will produce.
I think that player will be Jake Reeves. Within the next season or 2.
Wasn't Reeves a Tottenham Hotspur product? I thought we picked him up after Spurs discarded him.
Did we? I thought he was ours from the age of 11/12? If he isn't then I stand corrected
I think we picked him up about age 16/17. Can anybody confirm?
Understand and agree but I reckon you need to see this set up run 5 years before it starts getting proper results.
I absolutely agree that we must have patience with the academy but I have a sneaky suspicion that we might start seeing results before 5 years...
I don't want to put pressure on any of these lads but Charlie Adams, who's already been mentioned, is one I've got high hopes for and anyone who saw him run the game in the FA youth cup last year against Stoke will know the potential he has.
There's also players like George Pilbeam, our youth player of the season last year as a first year and Michael Onovwigun, who I think was the kid that the Liverpool scout was raving about after the Milk Cup a few years ago. He's a second year scholar now as well so these kinds of boys aren't too far off.
We'll know more this season either way as they are starting the under 18's version of the development league this year and we will be playing a higher standard of academy opposition.
Very exciting times ahead though :yes:
Under 15 keeper Jordan Carey is one to watch. - He is not me btw
I've heard that Carlos Condorman looks like a real prospect too
This season the academy will play arsenal
Any idea where the team is in Berkshire as my 10 year old has been watched before and Reading seems the only option for him at the momentI don't know the details so someone might fill this in. Father of one of the boys in my football team has got a really talented 9 year old. Tried out a Reading, QPR, Fulham but now plays in a Berkshire side that is run by Brentford. He said that the coaching is way above anything else offered and he couldn't be happier that his son plays for them. Any clues what the set up there is?
Your right,and we've already seen results,winning the milk cup last year and getting to the final this year
Any idea where the team is in Berkshire as my 10 year old has been watched before and Reading seems the only option for him at the moment
Any idea where the team is in Berkshire as my 10 year old has been watched before and Reading seems the only option for him at the moment
Brentford under 13's beat the MK Dons 8-0 and the Brentford under 14's beat them 10-1 on the final day of there pre-season residential camp
Brentford passed the ball superbly
I remember reading an interview with Arsene Wenger, not that long after he came to England.Bodes well, start the kids playing passing football and when they become older it will be natural for them. Something that British clubs have sorely neglected in the past
I remember reading an interview with Arsene Wenger, not that long after he came to England.
He was talking about the schoolboy coaching system he instigated at Nancy(?). Anyhow, he took in a batch of 7 to 8 year olds, who quickly became much better players than the older kids at the club.
The following season they took on a group of 5 to 6 year olds. They were better again, with the key point being that over the next few seasons, the previous year's intake (7 to 8 y.o.s) never made up the difference on the year below
Of course, it's not enough to get them young. You also need to coach them properly - which is a whole new story...
I'm not sure it is so much a case of AW "forgetting" his Youth Development policy at Arsenal, as of his never actually having one.Some interesting points you make there but according to this article by Michael Calvin in Monday's Independent Mr Wenger seems to have forgotten his youth policy in recent years. This has culminated in a number of ex Arsenal staff moving over to Brentford.
I'm not sure it is so much a case of AW "forgetting" his Youth Development policy at Arsenal, as of his never actually having one.
When he first came to England, he didn't really try to find and develop the best young British talent, since he won't have had the time at such big club as Arsenal, or the contacts (the money, even) to compete with the other top clubs here. Which explains why virtually no young British players have come all the way through the ranks at the Arse during his time. (Even Wilshere was at Luton Town briefly and Gibbs at Wimbledon before they signed them).
Instead what gave Wenger a competitive edge was his contacts and knowledge of the best Youth Development programmes in Continental Europe and Africa. It was this, for example, which allowed him to steal Fabregas right from under the nose of Barcelona, where he had been on their books from a kid.
Whereas now that many top clubs have foreign owners and have followed the Arse's lead by appointing foreign managers, Wenger no longer has the pick of young overseas talent to himself. To a certain extent he has compensated by buying good young players in their late teens who were on the verge of senior football with other professional clubs here (Walcott, Ramsey, Ox-Chamb, Jenkinson etc), but even that is getting too competitive.
Which is why he is now being virtually forced to splash serious money on established stars in their mid-20's and beyond.
Meanwhile, with all the big English clubs scouring the world for the next Lionel Messi etc, it is open to clubs like Southampton (Walcott, Bale, Ox-Chamb, Shaw) or Palace (Moses, Zaha) to find and develop the best of the young local talent which the big guys are overlooking.
I imagine that that is the niche in the market which MB wants Brentford to move into.