Billy Cobb

Bungy Bee

formerly known as Jockbee
Joined
19 Jan 2001
Messages
17,255
Reaction score
479
Location
Garelochhead Scotland

Billy Cobb

A striker ..few years ago now...think he joined us from Northampton....useful player....scored a few goals for us as well....anybody remember him....:sorted:
 

Billy Cobb

just before my time although I think I saw him a couple of times. Came from Plymouth I think and scored quite afew in 64-5 including a fantastic hat trick re Carlisle who I believe went up.

Went to Lincoln
 

Billy Cobb

He was a bloody good player.Signed in 1964 as a 'wing-half' or 'inside forward', he was played in the latter position due to the good form of Tom Higginson .He soon proved himself an excellent forward, and his third goal, in the Dec 1964 6-1 thrashing of eventual divisional champions Carlisle rates as one of the best goals I have ever seen at Griffin Park.He won the ball on the halfway line, in muddy conditions, and raced away, rounding several defenders, and then the 'keeper before slotting the ball home to rapturous applause .It was his seventh goal in four games, and a photo of him finishing the move, with opposing defenders sprawled on the muddy pitch in his wake, was featured on the cover of a subsequent programme.His form was so good that one national newspaper dubbed him 'The poor man's Jimmy Greaves'!
He scored 18 goals in 39 games that season, including another memorable hat-trick against.....QPR!
Unfortunately, the following seasons saw things starting to go very pear-shaped at Griffin Park, and , like a lot of other decent players, he was unloaded from the payroll.I believe he scored quite a few goals for Lincoln later on.
 

Billy Cobb

He was a bloody good player.Signed in 1964 as a 'wing-half' or 'inside forward', he was played in the latter position due to the good form of Tom Higginson .He soon proved himself an excellent forward, and his third goal, in the Dec 1964 6-1 thrashing of eventual divisional champions Carlisle rates as one of the best goals I have ever seen at Griffin Park.He won the ball on the halfway line, in muddy conditions, and raced away, rounding several defenders, and then the 'keeper before slotting the ball home to rapturous applause .It was his seventh goal in four games, and a photo of him finishing the move, with opposing defenders sprawled on the muddy pitch in his wake, was featured on the cover of a subsequent programme.His form was so good that one national newspaper dubbed him 'The poor man's Jimmy Greaves'!
He scored 18 goals in 39 games that season, including another memorable hat-trick against.....QPR!
Unfortunately, the following seasons saw things starting to go very pear-shaped at Griffin Park, and , like a lot of other decent players, he was unloaded from the payroll.I believe he scored quite a few goals for Lincoln later on.

ok! thanks. i first watched in the year of 'the troubles' - maybe he had moved on by then?

i well remember higgi, brodie, lawther etc
 

Billy Cobb

I remember that goal against Carlisle and I've still got the program somewhere containg the front page photo of him runnuning towards Ealing Road Goal.............we done the double over them with a 1v0 away win but they won league with 60pts................also 7 days later (Boxing day) beat Bristol City 2v1 who ended up runners-up with 59pts we finished 5th with 57pts.

Not 100% sure but think that photo may have been on Colchester one played a few weeks later.
 

Billy Cobb

Regrettably I am old enough to remember him. Though the memory fades from time to time I can recall him having a pretty good goals per game record. Also I do remember the goals he scored against Carlisle.
 

Billy Cobb

ok! thanks. i first watched in the year of 'the troubles' - maybe he had moved on by then?

That was my first full season too but pretty sure I saw him playing for the reserves the previous season. A whole load of players were shown the door in 66-67 and we had a squad of about 16 players for a while. There were games when we had to borrow players to make up a side. Brian Caterer from Chesham was one, and a centre forward called Bob Wilson who played in the last game of the season and scored.
 

Billy Cobb

That was my first full season too but pretty sure I saw him playing for the reserves the previous season. A whole load of players were shown the door in 66-67 and we had a squad of about 16 players for a while. There were games when we had to borrow players to make up a side. Brian Caterer from Chesham was one, and a centre forward called Bob Wilson who played in the last game of the season and scored.

Bob Wilson played in the last game of the season against Port Vale, score and was brilliant - and was then never heard of again.

I suspect we could not offer him enough to turn pro!
 

Billy Cobb

Bob Wilson played in the last game of the season against Port Vale, score and was brilliant - and was then never heard of again.

I suspect we could not offer him enough to turn pro!

From what I heard at that time, you may well be right.
Wison was , I believe, a regular with Feltham FC up until then, and highly-rated.He did look useful in that one and only game for us.
Can any of you recall other players from Feltham who made the grade-or could have?
I can think of Rachid Harkouk, who went on to Crystal Palace.There were also a few lads from nearby Hanworth who went to Palace, the Tomkins brothers and Danny Light.I think, also, John Beck, who went to QPR, was also a Hanworth lad.
 

Billy Cobb

Yes a very useful player in his time at Griffin Park.

I remember his brylcreamed hairstyle,he could have taken over from Denis Compton in the Brylcream Adds!!
 

Billy Cobb

He was a bloody good player.Signed in 1964 as a 'wing-half' or 'inside forward', he was played in the latter position due to the good form of Tom Higginson .He soon proved himself an excellent forward, and his third goal, in the Dec 1964 6-1 thrashing of eventual divisional champions Carlisle rates as one of the best goals I have ever seen at Griffin Park.He won the ball on the halfway line, in muddy conditions, and raced away, rounding several defenders, and then the 'keeper before slotting the ball home to rapturous applause .It was his seventh goal in four games, and a photo of him finishing the move, with opposing defenders sprawled on the muddy pitch in his wake, was featured on the cover of a subsequent programme.His form was so good that one national newspaper dubbed him 'The poor man's Jimmy Greaves'!
He scored 18 goals in 39 games that season, including another memorable hat-trick against.....QPR!
Unfortunately, the following seasons saw things starting to go very pear-shaped at Griffin Park, and , like a lot of other decent players, he was unloaded from the payroll.I believe he scored quite a few goals for Lincoln later on.

GEOFFBEE - well remember that goal.He was a "class" player who unfortunately, because of the chronic financial situation at that time, didn't stay with the club for long. Good to see others,like yourself, bringing back some super memories.
 

Billy Cobb

With all the talk about Harry's goal yesterday which I hope to see soon on the 'net here in Santiago de Chile, I thought of some of the great fgoals that I have seen at Griffin Park. Billy Cobb's was one of them; so accuratelty described by GEOFFBEE. I found a link from 2008 which features Billy and a photo. http://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/articles/sport/Keeping-it-in-the-family
 

Billy Cobb

He was a bloody good player.Signed in 1964 as a 'wing-half' or 'inside forward', he was played in the latter position due to the good form of Tom Higginson .He soon proved himself an excellent forward, and his third goal, in the Dec 1964 6-1 thrashing of eventual divisional champions Carlisle rates as one of the best goals I have ever seen at Griffin Park.He won the ball on the halfway line, in muddy conditions, and raced away, rounding several defenders, and then the 'keeper before slotting the ball home to rapturous applause .It was his seventh goal in four games, and a photo of him finishing the move, with opposing defenders sprawled on the muddy pitch in his wake, was featured on the cover of a subsequent programme.His form was so good that one national newspaper dubbed him 'The poor man's Jimmy Greaves'!
He scored 18 goals in 39 games that season, including another memorable hat-trick against.....QPR!
Unfortunately, the following seasons saw things starting to go very pear-shaped at Griffin Park, and , like a lot of other decent players, he was unloaded from the payroll.I believe he scored quite a few goals for Lincoln later on.

Great little player who we nicknamed "The Puppet" as he always had his arms out when he ran - looked like they were attached to strings ...:D
 
Back
Top Bottom