Board Election

Board Election

Know I sound like a stuck record, but if the election dates effectively being put back then why not bring the AGM forward and save considerable funds on an additional mailout/printing costs etc :wave:



Stop being so sensible...this is BU...:rolleyes:
 

Board Election

It wasn't our idea to hold an election outside the AGM window. I have pointed out the folly of cocking-up the elections in 3 years time when we will probably need 2 elections so there's no point in wasting your breath. I agree it's money down the drain :(
 

Board Election

Perhaps the candidates should suggest it,
might save BU £2k+ at a guess :wave:

Maybe thats why they have extended the deadline so 134 people can pay the £15 to join. The money can then be used to pay for the election :fishing:

By all accounts though, Banana has already entered more than a quarter of these :nono: ;)

:wave:
 

Board Election

It wasn't our idea to hold an election outside the AGM window. I have pointed out the folly of cocking-up the elections in 3 years time when we will probably need 2 elections so there's no point in wasting your breath. I agree it's money down the drain :(

Indeed. Although in all honesty the election process should have been undertaken months ago IMHO. BU have been at least one Board member down since April/May and will continue to be so for another month at least. I do think that the idea of bringing forward the AGM is a valid one and perhaps we should all (candidates) stand together on this one and suggest it......... we have little to lose except a bit more time and that doesn't seem to be of great importance to BU at the moment.

Perhaps they are still hoping one of us will back out. Then there would be no need for an election at all!

I wonder which one they would like to stand down...........:fishing: lol rofl
 

Board Election

I want to know whether I am a member. Last year I paid for membership and set up a standing order and was sent a membership card, though the standing order was never activated! This year I have set up a new Standing Order (haven't received a bank statement since, so don't know whether the money has been sent), but a new membership card for this season has certainly not arrived! Am I a member?
 

Board Election

I want to know whether I am a member. Last year I paid for membership and set up a standing order and was sent a membership card, though the standing order was never activated! This year I have set up a new Standing Order (haven't received a bank statement since, so don't know whether the money has been sent), but a new membership card for this season has certainly not arrived! Am I a member?

May I suggest that you email

[email protected]

:sorted:
 

Board Election

I want to know whether I am a member. Last year I paid for membership and set up a standing order and was sent a membership card, though the standing order was never activated! This year I have set up a new Standing Order (haven't received a bank statement since, so don't know whether the money has been sent), but a new membership card for this season has certainly not arrived! Am I a member?

You can find out by contacting Bruce Powell....
[email protected]
 

Board Election

This is what the people that are running the election say about the choice of election system:

"The Electoral Reform Society is a membership organisation which campaigns for improvements in our democracy, particularly through the use of better voting systems. The Society's preferred system is the Single Transferable Vote (STV) which is not just proportional but offers voters more choice and makes more effective use of their votes."

So that's both the ERS and Supporters' Direct that say they perfer STV. Why are the BU Board saying that SD support first past the post as their perferred system :banghead:
 

Board Election

This is what the people that are running the election say about the choice of election system:

"The Electoral Reform Society is a membership organisation which campaigns for improvements in our democracy, particularly through the use of better voting systems. The Society's preferred system is the Single Transferable Vote (STV) which is not just proportional but offers voters more choice and makes more effective use of their votes."

So that's both the ERS and Supporters' Direct that say they perfer STV. Why are the BU Board saying that SD support first past the post as their perferred system :banghead:

I think the point is that "normal" STV (as I understand it) focusses on those with the least "1's", which (with four candidates for three positions) is the same as first past the post. Hence why they are suggesting its all the same.

There must be some sort of alternative where you vote for your least favourite candidate, either by STV focusing on "4's", or by putting the alternative combinations of candidates on the form.

Philosophically I'm not sure which is better. Voting for one candidate you want, or voting for one candidate you definately don't want.
 

Board Election

I think the point is that "normal" STV (as I understand it) focusses on those with the least "1's", which (with four candidates for three positions) is the same as first past the post. Hence why they are suggesting its all the same.
Where is it suggested it's the same?

If you read your email you know that the BU Board voted on the procedure before the number of candidates was known.
 

Board Election

Know I sound like a stuck record, but if the election dates effectively being put back then why not bring the AGM forward and save considerable funds on an additional mailout/printing costs etc :wave:

.................because they'd have to send yet another mailout, stoopidrofl
 

Board Election

Presumably it will be three votes each, shaggy, so it's effectively the same as having just one vote to say who you don't like, but with the added flexibility that if you don't like two of the candidates you can choose only to use two Xs.
 

Board Election

.................because they'd have to send yet another mailout, stoopidrofl


:confused:

They would only have to send out one lot of papers, the ones relevant to the election and the ones relevant to the AGM all in the same envelope, also I presume it would only require one lot of election fees from ERS. Although i may have that ar$e about face
 

Board Election

Presumably it will be three votes each, shaggy, so it's effectively the same as having just one vote to say who you don't like, but with the added flexibility that if you don't like two of the candidates you can choose only to use two Xs.

Quite possibly, although I'm not sure I'd automatically presume that from BU describing the system as "first past the post".

I await with interest.
 

Board Election

Where is it suggested it's the same?

If you read your email you know that the BU Board voted on the procedure before the number of candidates was known.

Its me suggesting its the same, no-one else. I may well be wrong.

Fair point about the date of the decision. imho all of these issues should have been sorted before even asking for nominations, and shouldn't be reactive to public debate thereafter (not even for inputs from such emminent personilities as yourself, banana!).
 

Board Election

What I want to know is will the other candidates be following chapmans example and doing an interview with the chrony?????
 

Board Election

Presumably it will be three votes each, shaggy, so it's effectively the same as having just one vote to say who you don't like, but with the added flexibility that if you don't like two of the candidates you can choose only to use two Xs.


Thats what I took it to mean, and is normally the case I think :confused:

You get three X`s max on the form - use one, two or three X`s, whichever you prefer. From this its a simple equation for thr ERS leading to positions 1,2,3 and 4. Or have i missed something :wave:
 

Board Election

Nana definitely has the pre-election jitters lol :wave:

:sorted: :sorted: moaning about how the votes are counted.... signing family up to vote for him it does indeed seem like his election campaign is in trobule... Perhaps an article in the chrony will help put him back in the race:wave:
 

Board Election

:sorted: :sorted: moaning about how the votes are counted.... signing family up to vote for him it does indeed seem like his election campaign is in trobule... Perhaps an article in the chrony will help put him back in the race:wave:

I've got MORI on the case to find out whether I need to campaign :)
 

Board Election

:sorted: :sorted: moaning about how the votes are counted.... signing family up to vote for him it does indeed seem like his election campaign is in trobule... Perhaps an article in the chrony will help put him back in the race:wave:


yep...... and being Welsh doesnt help his cause either ;) :wave:
 

Board Election

...........should there be a comma in there somewhere, .....................either after the 'Why' or after the 'running'...............:D


I'll bear that in mind :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D
 

Board Election

BTW Every single election timetable that I have been able to find has the electoral roll closing before the close of nominations :(
 

Board Election

BTW Every single election timetable that I have been able to find has the electoral roll closing before the close of nominations :(

Last years election details on this link
http://www.beesunited.org.uk/news/2005/agmnotice1005.php

BU Page agmnotice1005 said:
Closing date for nominations:- 21st Oct 2005
*In the event that nominations exceed the number of vacancies i.e. there will be a postal ballot of all persons over 18 who are members of the Society on 22nd October 2005.

Bit different to this year....:nono:

:wave:
 

Board Election

I want to know whether I am a member. Last year I paid for membership and set up a standing order and was sent a membership card, though the standing order was never activated! This year I have set up a new Standing Order (haven't received a bank statement since, so don't know whether the money has been sent), but a new membership card for this season has certainly not arrived! Am I a member?

Pretty pointless coming on here to ask that question, halifaxbee. Why don't you email Bruce Powell who is the BU membership secretary and ask him?
 

Board Election

can i just ask that whichever 3 candidates are elected they re-invigorate the BU Board and remember that the BU Board is the board of the company that is the controlling shareholder of BFC and not feel subservient or too meek to ask and demand answers to questions of the BFC Board.
 

Board Election

Sorry mods I may have got it wrong again.:rolleyes:

But here`s my quewstions to all:

What would you do if the BFC Board vote to send an invitation to Noades or his Altonwood chums to visit GP for a game?

Would you support the BU Board instructing the BFC Board to remove hospitality facilities away from the representatives of Franchise FC and for BFC Directors to boycott the boardroom if they play at GP?

Would you support asking John McGlashan to pay back any monies to BFC that he trousered when his role was no longer needed?

Do you think that the BU Board has enough control on what is happening at BFC, with regards operating budgets and thus cascading of performance to members effectively?

What would you do to tackle the perceived lack of a joined up approach between BU fundraising projects and the BFC Commercial Team`s attempts to raise revenue?

Would you look to encourage the BU Board to put together proposals for the MD, to further reduce off the field costs? Eg: Accounts dept at BFC
 

Board Election

What would you do if the BFC Board vote to send an invitation to Noades or his Altonwood chums to visit GP for a game?
If this ever happened I would be on the forecourt demanding the BFC Board's resignation!

Would you support the BU Board instructing the BFC Board to remove hospitality facilities away from the representatives of Franchise FC and for BFC Directors to boycott the boardroom if they play at GP?
No. We have bigger fish to fry.

Would you support asking John McGlashan to pay back any monies to BFC that he trousered when his role was no longer needed?
No, we should be grateful to John Mac for the work he did in setting up Bees United and I don't believe there is anything to be gained by persuing this course of action.

Do you think that the BU Board has enough control on what is happening at BFC, with regards operating budgets and thus cascading of performance to members effectively?
I believe the BFC Board should control what is happening at BFC on the matters you describe.

What would you do to tackle the perceived lack of a joined up approach between BU fundraising projects and the BFC Commercial Team`s attempts to raise revenue?
I am very disappointed that Rod Gowers's big fundraising ideas didn't come to fruition. It may or may not have been for the reasons you mention - I have no idea on that. However, I do believe that it is the BU Chair's responsibility to make sure these things happen and that the BU Chair should engage the club on these matters.

Would you look to encourage the BU Board to put together proposals for the MD, to further reduce off the field costs? Eg: Accounts dept at BFC
The MD has been appointed by the BFC Board and his objectives should be set by the same.
 

Board Election

Sorry mods I may have got it wrong again.:rolleyes:

But here`s my quewstions to all:

What would you do if the BFC Board vote to send an invitation to Noades or his Altonwood chums to visit GP for a game?

As a BU board member I would demand a personal statement from each of the BU-nominated directors on the BFC board as to their views on the matter. I suspect further action would depend on whether there was a tangible benefit to the club or BU of having a closer relationship (eg Ron writing off the debt).

Would you support the BU Board instructing the BFC Board to remove hospitality facilities away from the representatives of Franchise FC and for BFC Directors to boycott the boardroom if they play at GP?

Not without a supporting vote of the full BU membership. I am personally totally against franchise football, but I don't want to make BU my personal campaigning tool. Also, we should think carefully before forcing BFC to act in a way which may damage its relationships with other organisations (and I'm really thinking about the FA/FL etc, rather than MK Dons themselves).

Would you support asking John McGlashan to pay back any monies to BFC that he trousered when his role was no longer needed?

No, for two reasons. First, I don't believe anything is to be gained by looking backwards - we have enough challenges looking forwards. Second, I think a contract of employment is completely different to either an elected post or a volunteer effort. As long as any compensation for loss of employment was in accordance with the contract of employment (or industry standard) then I would have supported it. If it was in excess of that, I would not have supported it.

Do you think that the BU Board has enough control on what is happening at BFC, with regards operating budgets and thus cascading of performance to members effectively?

I think BU has enough challenges of its own without worrying about the minutiae of running BFC - my biggest worry about BU (whether I am elected or not) is that it becomes a talking shop second-guessing every other decision the BFC board make. imho BU ought only to worry about BFC decisions that materially impact on the sustainability of the club. As to whether thats happening now - my honest answer is "I don't know", but I suspect not. My suspicion is that there's a lot of debate about issues BU shouldn't be involved in, and too little debate abotu the fundamentals.

What would you do to tackle the perceived lack of a joined up approach between BU fundraising projects and the BFC Commercial Team`s attempts to raise revenue?

I would have identified individuals tasked with making sure they are joined up.

Would you look to encourage the BU Board to put together proposals for the MD, to further reduce off the field costs? Eg: Accounts dept at BFC

No, I would encourage individuals with those ideas to send them both the the MD and to the BU-nominated BFC board directors, who have the power (and remit) to implement them.
 

Board Election

What would you do if the BFC Board vote to send an invitation to Noades or his Altonwood chums to visit GP for a game?

As it would be a BFC Board decsion over which i would have no control there is little formal action i could exercise. I would however, send Board members emails requesting their reasons for allowing it and join in any protest that may arise.

Would you support the BU Board instructing the BFC Board to remove hospitality facilities away from the representatives of Franchise FC and for BFC Directors to boycott the boardroom if they play at GP?

To be honest this would be one of the least of my worries, much as i dislike what FFC represent i think that there are far more important issues to be tackled at least by the BU Board.

Would you support asking John McGlashan to pay back any monies to BFC that he trousered when his role was no longer needed?

No, there are plenty of reasons to be thankful to John although there are just as many to berate him for. Without John and other founder members BU is unlikely to have materialised and grow in the way that it has. Like it or not without BU it is likely that we would no longer be spending our Saturday's at Griffin Park.

Do you think that the BU Board has enough control on what is happening at BFC, with regards operating budgets and thus cascading of performance to members effectively?

With regard to cascading of information both from BU and BFC, i dont believe anywhere near enough is being done. BU have to remember IMHO that we want to hear bad news too. Controlling the BFC board is another matter entirely and even as the majority shareholder i dont believe that BU should have the right to 'control' the BFC board, that would turn them into puppets for BU. Surely that would be entering into the realms of 'do as i say not as i do' as opposed to the 'practice what we preach' school of methodology; I dislike that Eddie Rogers appears to be Ron Noade$ puppet, how can I condone BFC board members taking on the exact same role for BU?

What would you do to tackle the perceived lack of a joined up approach between BU fundraising projects and the BFC Commercial Team`s attempts to raise revenue?

IMHO it is not a perception there is a lack of a joimed up approach. It is imperative that there is a co-ordinated approach to fundraising, however this should not be limited merely to BFC and BU. It is my intention that relationships are forged between, BU, BFC Commercial Department, GPG, BIAS, TITS, TW8, FITC, LBH and anyone else that will have useful input into the fundraising initiatives. We need to involve the whole community social and commercial to maximise the potential of events and strategies.

Would you look to encourage the BU Board to put together proposals for the MD, to further reduce off the field costs? Eg: Accounts dept at BFC

Of course, just as i would encourage everybody to do the same. For BFC to survive we need input from as many sources as possible, about as many aspects as possible.
 

Board Election

Will the candidates if successful alter the content of there contributions on the GPG in fitting with there new role?
 

Board Election

Will the candidates if successful alter the content of there contributions on the GPG in fitting with there new role?

:nono: :nono:

Absolutely not. There is little chance of anyone 'shutting me up'. As most people who know me would tell you! lol
 
Back
Top Bottom