Brett Johnson

Les Beeavinu

Administrator
Joined
5 Aug 2002
Messages
78,873
Reaction score
61,123
Location
Sandhurst

Brett Johnson

Very impressed with this lad.

Growing into the job and I think he's looking a very good defender. Their right wing didn't get a sniff today but he was equally as good defending set pieces - some excellent and important headers from dangerous set pieces. Starting to find his feet going forward as well and I think at the moment you couldn't justify Dickson being picked ahead of him.

Still expect him to end up centre back and I think he'll do a very good job when he does get there.
 

Brett Johnson

I think you'll notice the difference once a quicker and more comfortable attacker like Dickson plays a few games in that position. He would give us yet another player who can make the difference between winning or drawing tight games IMO. No complaints though about Johnson and it's his to lose at the moment. Having three centre backs is very useful against long ball teams as well.
 

Brett Johnson

Will Dickson weaken our defence though? Two goals let in in the league suggests Johnson's doing a job.
 

Brett Johnson

agree really like him to, thought he had a better game against yeovil, could be one of our best signings this year:sorted:
 

Brett Johnson

liked the look of him v Watford psf-posted likewise. have seen nothing to change my mind. his reaction to the win was great to see
 

Brett Johnson

Will Dickson weaken our defence though? Two goals let in in the league suggests Johnson's doing a job.

Undoubtedly. I predict we'll see Dickson come on for him in a scoreless game and take over from there on.
 

Brett Johnson

I agree with the above posts. Johnson has mightily improved our (previously) poor defence. I've noticed that most good teams in this division actually play three centre-backs. With Brett in the team, we are doing the same. Well done Brett! :wave:
 

Brett Johnson

Their right wing didn't get a sniff today

Interesting, as I thought everything they did came down the right.

Saunders, the right winger, scored the goal, forced Hamer into at least another two saves and was their main outlet. I thought he was exceptional.

That said I thought Johnson was very solid, he stopped the crosses from that side, which forced Saunders inside and was probably the reason why he had so many shots, and dominated him in the air.

He has made a very good start to his Brentford career.
 

Brett Johnson

......................very impressed by Brett...............................
 

Brett Johnson

Interesting, as I thought everything they did came down the right.

Saunders, the right winger, scored the goal, forced Hamer into at least another two saves and was their main outlet. I thought he was exceptional.

That said I thought Johnson was very solid, he stopped the crosses from that side, which forced Saunders inside and was probably the reason why he had so many shots, and dominated him in the air.

He has made a very good start to his Brentford career.

Most of the excellent Saunders work wasn't from the flank.
 

Brett Johnson

Most of the excellent Saunders work wasn't from the flank.

Fair point, I guess you then fall into the question of whether the left back should track him in and who's responsibility is it when he goes into the channel :shrug:

Eiether way, not true to say he "didn't get a sniff" ;)
 

Brett Johnson

I agree about Saunders - with him on our right and Hudson of Rotherham in centre mid, we then WOULD have a hottttt team!!

I think Johnson handled him well but i do remember in the 2nd half Saunders being allowed to cut inside from the corner flag and put in a shot that Hamer pushed out. One recollection only but he was very skillful which means Johnson did a good job to keep him (relatively) quiet. :sorted:
 

Brett Johnson

Their right wing didn't get a sniff - not their right winger. :)
 

Brett Johnson

Interesting, as I thought everything they did came down the right.

Saunders, the right winger, scored the goal, forced Hamer into at least another two saves and was their main outlet. I thought he was exceptional.

That said I thought Johnson was very solid, he stopped the crosses from that side, which forced Saunders inside and was probably the reason why he had so many shots, and dominated him in the air.

He has made a very good start to his Brentford career.
Agree WEB, Johnson may lack pace and why he won't play at the highest levels but he has presence and intelligence. I don't think he's a natural left back, and Saunders was exceptional at this level so still contained him when he was out wide.

What we do lack is a bit of height and beef along the back four so his aerial power is welcome and he wins a lot of defensive headers, especially at corners, the one area where Wilson and Bennett aren't commanding.

He's been a very good acquisition so far and will give us options this season.
 

Brett Johnson

What we do lack is a bit of height and beef along the back four so his aerial power is welcome and he wins a lot of defensive headers, especially at corners,

:yes: It was he, was it not?, that won the massively important head from one of their many good corners about halfway through the 2nd half. Superb leap that kept our noses in front.
 

Brett Johnson

Also, was it not he that headed out, from a corner, to Poole who then fed Macca for the second goal.
 

Brett Johnson

Decent no-nonsense player who looks better with every game. He has never really been given the opportunity to become a first choiice before and the injuries to Dickson and Wood have allowed him to seize his chance.

I can only see him getting better.

Locvely problem when Dickson is match fit....
 

Brett Johnson

I ve been very impressed with Johnson, very solid, no nonsense and gets the job done. Also has the occasional run forward and can cause problems.
 

Brett Johnson

A fairly big CB has done a great job at LB. When we found out we were missing Dickson, MacDonald, Smith we would surely have settled for where we are with the players that we had left and BJ has been a major part of the little run we are currently on.
 

Brett Johnson

He will get turned over by pacey right wingers but like so many players he is benefiting from regular games which I gather he has not had for a while, a very good squad player for this level and is playing with total commitment.

Can't see Wood getting a look in at the moment which is a shame as he had a good start.
 

Brett Johnson

He will get turned over by pacey right wingers but like so many players he is benefiting from regular games which I gather he has not had for a while, a very good squad player for this level and is playing with total commitment.

Can't see Wood getting a look in at the moment which is a shame as he had a good start.

The very good squad player would have been a shoe-in for every side since Martin Allen left I reckon.
 

Brett Johnson

... and we're not even paying top dollar. Good job AS.

He could have got more elsewhere although Brentford was his first choice because he is local. AS convinced him that he was wanted and that he'd get his chances. I do know what we are paying these players and it simply makes you sob at the garbage we were being sold last season that players wouldn't come unless they were on chunky wages with two year contracts. Anyway it's AS squad now so fingers crossed that the team continues to improve.
 

Brett Johnson

He would have been first choice elsewhere as well but he took a gamble that an injury would give him an opportunity and has now taken it superbly. He'll play himself to a longer deal later in the season if he continues this way so his gamble will have paid off and hopefully he'll be a division higher as well. He was proper embarrassed by the Johnson is a Brentford fan at Barnet though
 

Brett Johnson

solid defender. I thought he was going to be a week link but i have been pleasently surprised. Keep up the good work Brett
 

Brett Johnson

For a primarily right-footed (I think) CB playing at LB, he's done better than we could have hoped, and is just what you want from a 'back-up' defender in a small squad, as he can probably cover across the back 4
 

Brett Johnson

Impressed with Brett last sat...headed away a few dangerous centres into our box...gets the job done....:sorted:
 

Brett Johnson

That's unfortunate for him.
I appreciate his contribution this year just impossible to trump Phillips and Dickson for a spot.
I didn't know he was an actual Bees fan.
Get well soon Brett
 

Brett Johnson

Ouch! Joins the 'Richard Wright D'oh! Club'. :rolleyes:
See you at the Big Red Ball.....mine's a Singapore Sling! :idea:
 

Brett Johnson

That's unfortunate for him.
I appreciate his contribution this year just impossible to trump Phillips and Dickson for a spot.
I didn't know he was an actual Bees fan.
Get well soon Brett

bad luck, all the more so with powell out for three matches.

i haven't seen much of him but 100% effort and a bit of ability and very unlucky to be behind much better players in his positions.

if he had been with us last season, or even the season before, he would have probably played 20 - 25 games for us and been much better than several who pulled on the shirt?
 

Brett Johnson

I hope he stays next season.

All the best BJ, hope you make a speedy recovery.
 

Brett Johnson

I hope he stays next season.

All the best BJ, hope you make a speedy recovery.

Didn't he join from Northampton?

If so he may perhaps he could be a squad player again next season
 
Back
Top Bottom