bye bye wembley

big neil

Active member
Joined
15 Jan 2001
Messages
4,245
Reaction score
1,082
Location
Northolt

bye bye wembley

the twin towers of wembley are being demolished at 2pm. :(
 

bye bye wembley

:cry: very sad.never thought i miss wembley as much as i do.must make a nostalgic visit soon and just think about it for a second,no more twin towers :( :( .i have enjoyed travelling around the country but the sense of occasion is not the same as walking up wembley way for a big game.lets hope the new place does justice to the ghosts of matthews,finney,moore,hurst charlton and the like.plus all the foreign greats that have performed there.the like of eusebio,maradonna and alan rough ;)
 

bye bye wembley

Indeed, travelling to the other "national Stadiums"
but nothing gives u the buzz like walking up wembley way
seeing the Twin Towers!
Think i may have to take a visit today too see the old
boys off!!
 

bye bye wembley

MiddxBee said:
Indeed, travelling to the other "national Stadiums"
but nothing gives u the buzz like walking up wembley way
seeing the Twin Towers!
Think i may have to take a visit today too see the old
boys off!!

if you do take a few pictures and get one of the mods to tell you how to post them on here.
 

bye bye wembley

Ok i will do my best!
Have to try and sneekk out of work!
If i can be bothered to go in! :lol:
 

bye bye wembley

Got dragged to Ikea the other day (yuk !!!) but the highlight was seeing the twin towers still there. Kinda guessed that would be the last time I see them :(:(

I still think they should've incorporated them into the new design. Maybe not the originals but some kind of permanent reference to them.
 

bye bye wembley

As a veteran of many Wembley trips with England and two with the Bees, perhaps I should feel more sentiment about it but I don't. It's sad that the Twin Towers will be destroyed, more should have been done to incorporate them into the new stadium. But as far the rest of the stadium goes, then it was left to become a tip over the years :eek: I'm suprised I never got Typhoid from the toilets, the majority of the views were poor, cheap seating nailed on to the former low terracing and the atmosphere was usually quiet. My enduring memoires of Wembley will be the great 'p*ss ups' at the Grapevine and the Post Office pubs on the high street before & after games and even during in some cases :D
 

bye bye wembley

Still one of my greatest moments was when Citko put Poland 1-0 up against England a couple of years ago. We went absolutely mental.

And then Shearer scored 2. :(
 

bye bye wembley

I agree, Speedo, but it was the home of English football and that is the reason it's demise is so sad.

Griffin Park is hardly a Millenium Stadium but I would suggest that when/if it gets demolished that you will shed a tear......
 

bye bye wembley

Mikey Bee said:
I agree, Speedo, but it was the home of English football and that is the reason it's demise is so sad.

Griffin Park is hardly a Millenium Stadium but I would suggest that when/if it gets demolished that you will shed a tear......

I'm not a sentimental person at all. But I take you points fella.

I should feel something for Wembley, but I don't I'm afraid. I'm usually one for traditions to be upheld and all that, but Wembley Stadium holds now sentiment for me I'm afraid. So, I won't be joining you in a tear............Now if they knocked the pubs down on the high street then there would be trouble :D
 

bye bye wembley

The people I feel sorry for are those that never saw or even watched a amtch at Wembley. At least most Bees fans have been there (or had an opportunity).
 

bye bye wembley

An ageing relic it was perhaps, but it has/had a sense of history, occasion and atmosphere that I have never felt in any other stadium, (although I do have similar feelings about GP for other reasons).

I have been to many England games , an FA cup final and course Wigan and Crewe and always that thrill of walking up Wembley Way was second to none as a grand entrance to a stadium and a big match.


Personally I can't wait till its rebuilt.... the Millenium Stadium is not in the same league.
 

bye bye wembley

I was fortunate to go there a lot for England games, as well as the 1997 play-off final. Unfortunately I think the last 2 years of messed up planning and arguments have soured the great name of the stadium, hopefully the new one should restore its image properly.
 

bye bye wembley

I would agree with that. THe supposed last game was over 2 years ago. The problem is that the people running it don't know what they are doing !!
 

bye bye wembley

These 2 were both taken in December, while the stadium was partially knocked down:

Dec_far_158.jpg
Dec_close_158.jpg
 

bye bye wembley

....and another one from today (sorry if this is too many pictures!):
 

bye bye wembley

nick logan said:
all the foreign greats that have performed there.the like of ... and alan rough ;)

rofl

Don't forget one of the magic Wembley moments when the ball moved just as Gary McAllister was about to take a penalty!
 

bye bye wembley

Edmundo said:
rofl

Don't forget one of the magic Wembley moments when the ball moved just as Gary McAllister was about to take a penalty!


:D :beer:
 

bye bye wembley

50 years down the line, society will realise what a big mistake it was to demolish the great grounds around Great Britain - A real mistake.
 

bye bye wembley

I went up there after finishing work to see what was happening. Got there before two and met a couple of Bees fans in the many hundreds of people watching and waiting. What a let down!! We were all waiting for the wrecking ball to knock seven shades out of the place but all we got was something nibbling away at the towers. We were told that it would not be finished until next week.

However, seeing the final piece of Wembley come down, me and the other Bees felt that this was all too close to home and the next ground we would see demolished would be GP. Now that I could not watch after 37 years coming to my second home. It takes something like this to bring it all sharply into focus.
 

bye bye wembley

nick logan said:
:cry: very sad.never thought i miss wembley as much as i do.must make a nostalgic visit soon and just think about it for a second,no more twin towers :( :( .i have enjoyed travelling around the country but the sense of occasion is not the same as walking up wembley way for a big game.lets hope the new place does justice to the ghosts of matthews,finney,moore,hurst charlton and the like.plus all the foreign greats that have performed there.the like of eusebio,maradonna and alan rough ;)

and, err, Pele......:D

P.S. I don't know how any English fan (or English Man) can think Maradonna was a great player.
He was (is) a c u n t.:confused:
 
Last edited:

bye bye wembley

i will also miss wembley, i got a chance to go there and put leaflets on seats before the last ever game at wembley stadium. An unforgettable experience. :cry:
 

bye bye wembley

Idaho Bee said:
and, err, Pele......:D

I saw an interview with Pele one day and I'm pretty sure he said he'd never played at Wembley, other than to make an advert for Umbro!
 

bye bye wembley

Jay Bee said:
I saw an interview with Pele one day and I'm pretty sure he said he'd never played at Wembley, other than to make an advert for Umbro!

Well I know Pele played in the 66 world cup, (yes I'm old enought to remember - it's a wonderful thing seeing England win the biggest competition in the world). It's possible he didn't play at Wembley in that competition, though pretty unlikely I would think.

Statto's please.
 

bye bye wembley

Edmundo said:
Maradona was a cheat, but he was undoubtedly one of the all time great players along with Pele and Cruyff.

Can't see it myself. To me a great player has to have it all, skills and integrity playing the game. You might say this narrows the field down a bit (or a lot), but we are talking about GREAT players here.

So Pele, Cruyff, Eusebio, in Football, Michael Jordon, Tiger Woods etc in other sports. If any of these folks cheated in their sport the way Maradonna did, they would no longer be GREAT players, in my book.

So there. :nono:
 

bye bye wembley

I know it rankles, because it was against us, but really all we are talking about here is a single handball. Put that aside and you really must concede his brilliance. In 1986 he was what made an otherwise average Argentina worthy world champions and in 1990 he pretty much made the final single handedly, so poor were his team mates.
 

bye bye wembley

Idaho Bee said:
Well I know Pele played in the 66 world cup, (yes I'm old enought to remember - it's a wonderful thing seeing England win the biggest competition in the world). It's possible he didn't play at Wembley in that competition, though pretty unlikely I would think.

Statto's please.

Pele definately didn't play at Wembley in that competition.

He was kicked out of the tournament very early, as were Brazil, and they never made it to the latter stages.

I don't think he ever played a competitive game there, but I'm not sure.
 

bye bye wembley

There were 9 games at Wembley in the 66 World Cup, should have been 10 but one of the group games that was moved to White City because of greyhound racing!

They were: the 5 other games in England's group, 1 quarter-final, 1 semi-final, the third placed-play-off and the final. Since Brazil weren't in England's group and didn't make it to the knockout stages, they didn't play at Wembley.
 

bye bye wembley

:cry::cry::cry:
 
Back
Top Bottom