Cold matches

Nottsbee

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2002
Messages
808
Reaction score
264

Cold matches

Too depressed to analyse the entrails of today’s game but I have to say I have rarely been as cold as that at a game; sub-zero temperature, biting wind and driving rain.

Safely on the train, I tried to remember similar Scott of the Antarctic conditions. Of course we’ve had many freezing trips to Oldham but the one I particularly remember was at a night game on the open end at Doncaster’s old Belle Vue ground in about 2004.

Like today, there wasn’t much action on the pitch to take our minds off how cold we were. We drew 0-0.

At least in those days we knew how to defend.
 

Cold matches

...........Swindon away one Boxing Day..............
 

Cold matches

I remember a home game a number of years ago when NR was still a terrace. It was fourth round day in the FA Cup, and we had got knocked out in the 3rd round. Can't remember who the oppo was in that league game, but had we still been in the cup, we would have been playing Stoke at home - they were an established First Division side (pre PL). I was standing on NR that day, and it was perishing - the coldest I've ever been at GP!

Have also been frozen at Boundary Park - a cup tie in January some years ago springs particularly to mind!
 

Cold matches

...............Lincoln away when they had heaters on the pitch to thaw it out...............
 

Cold matches

...........Swindon away one Boxing Day..............

The one where we lost 3-0 under MA?

I think the coldest I’ve ever been was Oldham in the cup in 1998.

Seem to remember our last trip to Shrewsbury in the league being very cold as well.
 

Cold matches

Orient at home, I think it was Rowlands scored a long shot and ran the length of the pitch. The New Road had some sort of electrical fault that night and there were no hot drinks available.
 

Cold matches

My personal coldest was away to Southend in February 93. Snow falling and a biting wind off the North Sea blowing onto an open terrace.

We lost 3-0 too which didnt help the mood.
 

Cold matches

Too depressed to analyse the entrails of today’s game but I have to say I have rarely been as cold as that at a game; sub-zero temperature, biting wind and driving rain.

Safely on the train, I tried to remember similar Scott of the Antarctic conditions. Of course we’ve had many freezing trips to Oldham but the one I particularly remember was at a night game on the open end at Doncaster’s old Belle Vue ground in about 2004.

Like today, there wasn’t much action on the pitch to take our minds off how cold we were. We drew 0-0.

At least in those days we knew how to defend.
Doncaster was that 0-0 right? I was there, freezing that night!
 

Cold matches

...............Lincoln away when they had heaters on the pitch to thaw it out...............

Marcus Bean goal :)
 

Cold matches

Leyland DAF game at home and it went to a golden goal, thankfully we scored in the 1st minute of extra time and could go home. Recall that night was freezing. Today's bitterly cold conditions and our inability to defend added to the woes
 

Cold matches

MK Dongs away, they battered us but Charlie Mac scored with our only effort on goal to win 1-0. Some of the stairways were closed due to ice on them iirc. I remember having 3 pairs of socks on and my feet still only got warm after 15 mins of the drive home.
 

Cold matches

I thought you were in Brazil!

I was but I rushed back for the Middlesbrough and Sheffield United games. Not one of my better decisions.

It’s summer there now and my friends are complaining about 40 degree heat - Celsius of course.
 

Cold matches

Any game at Boundary Park.
 

Cold matches

Mansfield away in 2008. Nathan Elder made his debut and scored for both teams!

After the match I went to visit a former work colleague who had moved to Mansfield and even in the warmth of their house, I could hardly speak for the first 30 minutes I was so cold.
 

Cold matches

Too depressed to analyse the entrails of today’s game but I have to say I have rarely been as cold as that at a game; sub-zero temperature, biting wind and driving rain.

Safely on the train, I tried to remember similar Scott of the Antarctic conditions. Of course we’ve had many freezing trips to Oldham but the one I particularly remember was at a night game on the open end at Doncaster’s old Belle Vue ground in about 2004.

Like today, there wasn’t much action on the pitch to take our minds off how cold we were. We drew 0-0.

At least in those days we knew how to defend.

Feb 28th 2006. What a way to spend one’s birthday. That’s the one I always remember.
 

Cold matches

0-0 at Doncaster at the old Belle Vue was particularly memorable, I reckon we were talking around -2 that night.... thankfully all standing. Was anyone at Grimsby that time we couldn't take a throw in because it was so windy, ball kept going straight out? That was freezing too
 

Cold matches

Two FA Cup ties at Boundary Park Oldham.

First Game January 1985 lost 2 -1 fkin freeeezing!

Second Game January 1991 lost 3 -1 Even more fkin freeeezing!

also England v Cameroon Wembley 2 -0 England in 1991. It was so cold, thought I was back in Oldham. Following day 4 inches of snow fell in West London.
 
Last edited:

Cold matches

MK Dongs away, they battered us but Charlie Mac scored with our only effort on goal to win 1-0. Some of the stairways were closed due to ice on them iirc. I remember having 3 pairs of socks on and my feet still only got warm after 15 mins of the drive home.

Was that in December? Pretty sure I was there then drove up to Scotland for Christmas. Could feel the cold air coming off the car windows all the way up.

Was at the Lincoln away game too. Freezing!

What about Andy Scott's first game in charge away to Wrexham? That was very cold too.

Oh and the JPT (I think) game at home to Colchester where Helen Chamberlain stood in for PG on the PA...
 

Cold matches

My personal coldest was away to Southend in February 93. Snow falling and a biting wind off the North Sea blowing onto an open terrace.

We lost 3-0 too which didnt help the mood.

I was at that one was a Sunday , We had Murray Jones playing , They had Stan Collymore, Keith Kones and Andy Ansah
 

Cold matches

I remember as recently as our loss against Notts County in the FA Cup in January being depressingly cold
 

Cold matches

Leyland DAF game at home and it went to a golden goal, thankfully we scored in the 1st minute of extra time and could go home. Recall that night was freezing. Today's bitterly cold conditions and our inability to defend added to the woes

Robert Taylor?

For sustained freezedness, I’ve yet to beat Boxing Day (1971?) at The Old Showground, Scunthorpe. Frozen ground and biting wind was as expected, but the whole day was excruciating, and lengthened by the heater on the Coach breaking down on the way up there. I thawed out eventually...

Surprisingly cold: Darlington away, the season before we went up (Reuben Reid scored our consolation goal). I was dressed for Autumn/Spring, whichever it was, but there was no escaping the biting wind ripping round that seemingly empty bowl of a stadium.
 

Cold matches

Another vote for the mk dons smash and grab. Not helped by falling in the snow moments after laughing at one of our party doing same.
Surprised York away in the fa cup wasn’t mentioned. Last minute hunt winner warmed us up a bit but it was freeeezing
 

Cold matches

I’m also going for that MK Dons match. We stopped at a pub near Tring on the way up, sliding down snowy country lanes. Even the pub was freezing.
 

Cold matches

Away to Orient in a cup game when poor Kevin Godfrey was made to stay on despite being almost unable to walk, rather than go down to 10 men.

And the away 1-3 at Oldham in the FA cup, where the ball had to be held still for set pieces.
 
Last edited:

Cold matches

Another vote for the mk dons smash and grab. Not helped by falling in the snow moments after laughing at one of our party doing same.
Surprised York away in the fa cup wasn’t mentioned. Last minute hunt winner warmed us up a bit but it was freeeezing

Unfortunately I got covered in anti climb paint which proved ineffective :)
 

Cold matches

Away to Orient in a cup game when poor Kevin Godfrey was made to stay on despite being almost unable to walk, rather than go down to 10 men.

And the away 1-3 at Oldham in the FA cup, where the ball had to be held still for set pieces.

I think the former was in Jan 1992. Yes, absolutely freezing.

The Barnet match in Jan 1997 with the Robert Taylor goal tops it for me - absolutely delighted to leave the ground that night intact.
 

Cold matches

Mansfield away in about 2003 on a Tuesday night for me. We drew 0-0, King Kev got booked for diving in the box. So cold I didn't even go for a pee!
 

Cold matches

Leyland DAF game at home and it went to a golden goal, thankfully we scored in the 1st minute of extra time and could go home. Recall that night was freezing. Today's bitterly cold conditions and our inability to defend added to the woes
Yes, remember it well. Groans when it went to extra time, I couldn’t care less who scored the golden goal,
Thankfully it was us as you say in the first minute, and we could all go home for a warm up.
 

Cold matches

Two votes from me...both already mentioned

Swindon away on Boxing Day under MA (2004?)
Oldham away FA Cup third round 1989

I've been out of the UK for a while now and despite enjoying the sun on my back, strangely I miss those days
 

Cold matches

Another vote for the mk dons smash and grab. Not helped by falling in the snow moments after laughing at one of our party doing same.
Surprised York away in the fa cup wasn’t mentioned. Last minute hunt winner warmed us up a bit but it was freeeezing

I was at the York one in the seats. Although there was snow around I don't recall it being that cold. Mind you we got well tanked up on the train up so I might not have noticed.
 

Cold matches

Mansfield away in about 2003 on a Tuesday night for me. We drew 0-0, King Kev got booked for diving in the box. So cold I didn't even go for a pee!

I got thrown out after ten mins along with druggie and he who shall not be named for throwing the ball back to our own keeper?!?
 

Cold matches

I was at the York one in the seats. Although there was snow around I don't recall it being that cold. Mind you we got well tanked up on the train up so I might not have noticed.

It was beyond Baltic.!! And I think I was suitably oiled. That was the weekend I that me and nick Logan accidentally ended up in Edinburgh on the Sunday evening rather than London on Saturday evening lol

I used to be fun
 

Cold matches

Two FA Cup ties at Boundary Park Oldham.

First Game January 1985 lost 2 -1 fkin freeeezing!

Second Game January 1991 lost 3 -1.

Was that second one when Deano gave us an early lead, on the plastic, and then we were cheated by another dodgy ref, who didn't give a goal to us when the ball crossed the line.
No goal line technology then.
The ref also allowed free kicks to be taken when the ball was moving, because the wind was so strong.

The 1985 one was compounded by the fact that it was raining as well as it being freezing.
 

Cold matches

MK Dons away when we were sh*t and won 1-0 just edges out the 0-0 at Doncaster for me.

Thankfully standing on the Ealing is usually a pretty snug experience and a few degrees warmer inside the stand than it is outside of it.
 

Cold matches

The FA Cup match at Oldham when the wind was blasting in from the Moors, jeez that was hideous.
Coldest ever at home was an FA Cup replay v Colchester in 1981, bonehard frosty pitch & ridiculously cold.
 

Cold matches

Leyland DAF game at home and it went to a golden goal, thankfully we scored in the 1st minute of extra time and could go home. Recall that night was freezing. Today's bitterly cold conditions and our inability to defend added to the woes

That was the one I was going to mention. Certainly the coldest I've ever been at a game. I wore two coats.

Barnet were the oppo, I think? Robert Taylor scored, I seem to remember and the whole place went mental because it meant we could get out of the cold.
 

Cold matches

Yep was golden goal and only celebrated not getting frostbite rather tHan going through
 

Cold matches

It was beyond Baltic.!! And I think I was suitably oiled. That was the weekend I that me and nick Logan accidentally ended up in Edinburgh on the Sunday evening rather than London on Saturday evening lol

I used to be fun

It was also the day that Loughtonbee and his mate had a nice warm cell for the afternoon...
 

Cold matches

...........Swindon away one Boxing Day..............

I wore my new coat which was more of a jacket, definitely should have brought out the big winter coat for that one. I seem to remember us winning 3.1 and it being one of KOC's first games, I am sure he got brought down and evo scored the pen.
 

Cold matches

The 0.0 away to Bournemouth on a Friday night in our League 1 championship season. There was frost all over the pitch and a freezing fog moving in. I stayed up there for the night with my mate and we went to the pub before the game where some nutty bees were handing out shots of whisky, when they saw us they gave us a few to keep the cold out. Probably one of the only Bees games I have been to when I was pi55ed and I remember getting a terrible hangover by half time. Once again I wasn't dressed for the weather because we were going to a club so I had a thin jacket on. I remember plod keeping us locked in for 20 mins afterwards when all we wanted to do was crawl into bed.
 

Cold matches

The FA Cup match at Oldham when the wind was blasting in from the Moors, jeez that was hideous.
Coldest ever at home was an FA Cup replay v Colchester in 1981, bonehard frosty pitch & ridiculously cold.

I remember that, the pitch was Icy and the players were sliding on it. Would never go ahead today.
 
Back
Top Bottom