Dango Ouattara

Dango Ouattara

Far too many players just baffle themselves with Science with penalties. West Ham showed that if you hit your penalties hard, in either side, no keeper will ever save them.
This has long been my preferred method for penalties (aside those like Toney who have a technique that works). Smash it as hard as you can either side. It doesn’t necessarily have to be well placed this way.
 

Dango Ouattara

I'm with Keith on this, and all future duff attempts, it does take courage to step forward to take a penalty. Some you win!

I didnt see the four horsemen of the apocalypse, so we live to fight another day 🐝😁
 

Dango Ouattara

This has long been my preferred method for penalties (aside those like Toney who have a technique that works). Smash it as hard as you can either side. It doesn’t necessarily have to be well placed this way.
We've probably had 50 successful pens over the last 4/5 years not doing this
 

Dango Ouattara

We've probably had 50 successful pens over the last 4/5 years not doing this
Yes, hence my comment about players having a technique which is most of the ones you are referring to.
 

Dango Ouattara

If anyone on here still feels bad about that penalty, we know that Dango will feel even worse when he wakes up and reflects on it.

He’ll never do that again, unless we are winning a match 7-0, and we have a penalty with 30 seconds to go.
Even then he won’t do it again.

We all saw a huge opportunity to progress in the Cup, having seen the draw beforehand, hence the frustrating disappointment.
However, even if he had scored, it would have been 5-5, and then a penalty miss might have fallen on another Bee.

However, in the cold light of day, as the understandable annoyance subsides, as always the reality for us is to carry on improving in the PL.

I think we’ll see Dango running his socks off v Wolves.

The redemption will be when he scores next and we win.
In the context of very frustrating moments for us, there have been far greater ones over the decades, and, for me, all linked to promotion/relegation, not cups.

Like everything in life, we can’t change the past, but just enjoy today, and have good hope for the future.
 
Last edited:

Dango Ouattara

Some of the posters on here need to take a long hard look at themselves and their attitudes. To the best of my knowledge he hasn’t been accused of kidnapping children, taking drugs or anything similar yet the language on here is language akin to what you would expect for someone of that nature. He didn’t intentionally miss the penalty for goodness sake. He’s given 100% for the club since the moment he arrived and has had and will continue to have my full support. Many of the comments above say much more about the posters than they do about their target.
 

Dango Ouattara

This has long been my preferred method for penalties (aside those like Toney who have a technique that works). Smash it as hard as you can either side. It doesn’t necessarily have to be well placed this way.
Yes, case in point Bowen.
Kelleher, a great pen-keeper, dived the right way, but still couldn’t get near it due to the sheer ferocity of the shot.
 

Dango Ouattara

He has made a massive fk up,but time too move on and get ready for the next game.

It happens.

This.

Huge error of judgement. But anyone still using this as a stick to beat Dango needs their head examining.
There’s not a single person on this planet that hasn’t made a f*** up at some point in their lives.

Get behind him on Monday.
 

Dango Ouattara

What I find perplexing is the change of tone from some posters now that it is one our players who has chosen to mess up with a failed panenka.

When that Newcastle player done it at our place, there were endless, justifiable, comments of “what an arrogant so and so”, “I would hate it if one of our players done that”, “he cost them the game” etc etc etc. Didn’t see a remotely positive remark.
And yet here in the aftermath of Dango having done exactly the same and I’m seeing attempts to water-down or even back-up his actions.

This modern culture of patting people on the back regardless of how they’ve messed up for me is just weird. Look, it’s great to support a player when he’s down - but that shouldn’t blind us to the reality of what happened. You can have a player’s back whilst at the same time still calling a spade a spade: great player, but this was a momentally bad decision that ended what could have been our greatest ever cup success.
He SHOULD be criticised for it.

Also, for me a dumb mistake is perhaps an instinctive rash challenge or a handball when you’re not thinking.
He had many minutes to carefully consider his options here.
And his ego won.
That is not acceptable.

I hope Keith has only come out and said those nice words cos he knows not to criticise players in public, but that behind closed doors he’s banned all his players from taking penalties like this again.
After all, we are a stats-based club, are we not? Because to anyone suggesting it is “just a style of pen” like any other - I’d love to see the success rate of a panenka. I can think of three recent ones - ALL ending in that same utterly embarrassing failure of making it the easiest save ever.
I think especially these days with many keepers waiting until the very last millisecond of deciding where to dive, the failure rate is now even higher!
 
Last edited:

Dango Ouattara

When that Newcastle player done it at our place, there were endless, justifiable, comments of “what an arrogant so and so”, “I would hate it if one of our players done that”, “he cost them the game” etc etc etc. Didn’t see a remotely positive remark.
And yet here in the aftermath of Dango having done exactly the same and I’m seeing attempts to water-down or even back-up his actions.
I assume you mean Sunderland player?

Beyond that you’re missing the point. It was an awful penalty. I’m confident that there is just about unanimous agreement on that.

But what isn’t needed is the personal abuse.

And if you’ve paid any attention to what MB has said, the best thing we can do is back Dango completely next Monday.
 

Dango Ouattara

What I find perplexing is the change of tone from some posters now that it is one our players who has chosen to mess up with a failed panenka.

When that Newcastle player done it at our place, there were endless, justifiable, comments of “what an arrogant so and so”, “I would hate it if one of our players done that”, “he cost them the game” etc etc etc. Didn’t see a remotely positive remark.
And yet here in the aftermath of Dango having done exactly the same and I’m seeing attempts to water-down or even back-up his actions.

This modern culture of patting people on the back regardless of how they’ve messed up for me is just weird. Look, it’s great to support a player when he’s down - but that shouldn’t blind us to the reality of what happened. You can have a player’s back whilst at the same time still calling a spade a spade: great player, but this was a momentally bad decision that ended what could have been our greatest ever cup success.
He SHOULD be criticised for it.

Also, for me a dumb mistake is perhaps an instinctive rash challenge or a handball when you’re not thinking.
He had many minutes to carefully consider his options here.
And his ego won.
That is not acceptable.

I hope Keith has only come out and said those nice words cos he knows not to criticise players in public, but that behind closed doors he’s banned all his players from taking penalties like this again.
After all, we are a stats-based club, are we not? Because to anyone suggesting it is “just a style of pen” like any other - I’d love to see the success rate of a panenka. I can think of three recent ones - ALL ending in that same utterly embarrassing failure of making it the easiest save ever.
I think especially these days with many keepers waiting until the very last millisecond of deciding where to dive, the failure rate is now even higher!

Shall we sell him then?
 

Dango Ouattara

I assume you mean Sunderland player?

Beyond that you’re missing the point. It was an awful penalty. I’m confident that there is just about unanimous agreement on that.

But what isn’t needed is the personal abuse.

And if you’ve paid any attention to what MB has said, the best thing we can do is back Dango completely next Monday.
Sunderland yes sorry.

I think you’ve misunderstood my point.
Critiquing is not the same as abuse! You’re putting words in my mouth.
I’m not suggesting for a moment we boo him on Monday!
There is a fine balance between not accepting ego-driven bad decisions and endlessly vociferously going after a player.

We move on, but I’m sure most of us never want to see this again.
 

Dango Ouattara

If anyone on here still feels bad about that penalty, we know that Dango will feel even worse when he wakes up and reflects on it.

When I was 19 I played in a cup semi final in the Amateur Football Association and made my debut for my team, I came on with 5 mins to go at 1.0 up, the last kick of the game, possibly even my first touch I was put clean through, went to go round the keeper and he rugby tackled me. A 25 year old me goes down takes the free kicks and see the game out, but I was desperate to score so got up and chased the ball to the corner flag. The keeper chased me and pinned me in. I had a player to my left screaming for it, I only had to give it to him, but I was so incensed I said to the keeper, "come on then" and waved him toward me. I tried to round him, he stole the ball, booted it long and their bloke smashed it in the top corner. Whistle went, we lost 3.1 in extra time.

I didn't sleep for weeks and even now when I think about it I want to crawl into a hole.

In the changing room, all the players were like, "you f***ing idiot, what were you thinking", I was like, "sh*t, f***ing stupid thing to do"

Oh well, never mind they said, we all stupid stuff. I went on to score 350 goals and become their record scorer, but I still used to apologise 20 years later.

If anyone thinks this bloke isn't going through it today they are a fekkin moron, also, it was a mistake, he didn't take a bribe, punch someone or push a ref over, he took a sh*t pen FFS.
 

Dango Ouattara

Sunderland yes sorry.

I think you’ve misunderstood my point.
Critiquing is not the same as abuse! You’re putting words in my mouth.
I’m not suggesting for a moment we boo him on Monday!
There is a fine balance between not accepting ego-driven bad decisions and endlessly vociferously going after a player.

We move on, but I’m sure most of us never want to see this again.
I think it's those abusing they need to learn the difference between critiquing and abuse. "he's a f***ing dickhead", "he needs shooting" etc is not critique. Plenty (if not all) of us saying to get behind him etc have also said it was a sh*t penalty as well.
 

Dango Ouattara

Normally I find a panenka penalty often a player that wants to make it all about him, show off a little, and possibly humiliate the keeper. However, looking how nervous and indecisive he looked, I don't think that was the case and he just had no idea what to do.

The problem was that the most successful panenka's often come when players sprint up to the ball to give the impression they are going for power, making the keeper have to fling themselves to one side. His run up was so slow he made it easy for Areola to stand up as long as possible.
 

Dango Ouattara

some have been very over the top, some are giving him more personal abuse are those that said we shouldn’t boo wissa. this is what Untouchable is referencing on this thread. HOWEVER, every single bees fan had that dream of wembley, filling out those seats that we didn’t get to in the play offs. Winning the FA cup would have been the best moment for many fans even topping promotion. Seeing a player throw that chance away with what can be seen as an arrogant penalty is crushing and honestly slightly disrespectful. I hope he learns his lesson and can make up for it by dragging us to europe, performances have been slipping recently.
 

Dango Ouattara

Sunderland yes sorry.

I think you’ve misunderstood my point.
Critiquing is not the same as abuse! You’re putting words in my mouth.
I’m not suggesting for a moment we boo him on Monday!
There is a fine balance between not accepting ego-driven bad decisions and endlessly vociferously going after a player.

We move on, but I’m sure most of us never want to see this again.
Then you have too move on and move on swiftly.
Like now because many of us have and we back Dango too the hilt not only next week,but for evermore.
 

Dango Ouattara

His penalty kick and his dive to try and win a penalty were absolutely appalling. He is an important player for us, so we move on and we show our love again on Monday against Wolves.
 

Dango Ouattara

What I find perplexing is the change of tone from some posters now that it is one our players who has chosen to mess up with a failed panenka.

When that Newcastle player done it at our place, there were endless, justifiable, comments of “what an arrogant so and so”, “I would hate it if one of our players done that”, “he cost them the game” etc etc etc. Didn’t see a remotely positive remark.
And yet here in the aftermath of Dango having done exactly the same and I’m seeing attempts to water-down or even back-up his actions.

This modern culture of patting people on the back regardless of how they’ve messed up for me is just weird. Look, it’s great to support a player when he’s down - but that shouldn’t blind us to the reality of what happened. You can have a player’s back whilst at the same time still calling a spade a spade: great player, but this was a momentally bad decision that ended what could have been our greatest ever cup success.
He SHOULD be criticised for it.

Also, for me a dumb mistake is perhaps an instinctive rash challenge or a handball when you’re not thinking.
He had many minutes to carefully consider his options here.
And his ego won.
That is not acceptable.

I hope Keith has only come out and said those nice words cos he knows not to criticise players in public, but that behind closed doors he’s banned all his players from taking penalties like this again.
After all, we are a stats-based club, are we not? Because to anyone suggesting it is “just a style of pen” like any other - I’d love to see the success rate of a panenka. I can think of three recent ones - ALL ending in that same utterly embarrassing failure of making it the easiest save ever.
I think especially these days with many keepers waiting until the very last millisecond of deciding where to dive, the failure rate is now even higher!
“And his ego won.”

You really think it was all about ego? He’s a young guy, and he thought he’d score. It clearly wasn’t “Look at me, I’m Billy Big b***ocks!” He messed up. That’s it.
And as for this it’s “not acceptable” rubbish, do you say the same when a player misses a clear opportunity to score, or fails to pass to a teammate who’s clean through?
Constructive criticism is one thing, but I see nothing constructive in what you’ve written.
 

Dango Ouattara

Then you have too move on and move on swiftly.
Like now because many of us have and we back Dango too the hilt not only next week,but for evermore.
It’s barely been 24 hours… some of us are allowed to still be peeved.
I’ll be fine come next Monday don’t worry!
 

Dango Ouattara

“And his ego won.”

You really think it was all about ego? He’s a young guy, and he thought he’d score. It clearly wasn’t “Look at me, I’m Billy Big b***ocks!” He messed up. That’s it.
And as for this it’s “not acceptable” rubbish, do you say the same when a player misses a clear opportunity to score, or fails to pass to a teammate who’s clean through?
Constructive criticism is one thing, but I see nothing constructive in what you’ve written.
Yes for me it is absolutely ego-driven.
Until such a time where someone can prove to me panenkas have a higher success rate than other forms of penalties that is the only conclusion I can draw.

And if you don’t believe me just look at the types of players who attempt them.
You won’t find a Roy Keane trying to be clever like that let’s put it that way!
 

Dango Ouattara

And if you don’t believe me just look at the types of players who attempt them.
You won’t find a Roy Keane trying to be clever like that let’s put it that way!
I can assure you that the people who run the club couldn’t give a monkeys what Roy Keane thinks.

In fact if he thinks it’s a bad idea, they’ll probably say it’s a good one
 

Dango Ouattara

Yes for me it is absolutely ego-driven.
Until such a time where someone can prove to me panenkas have a higher success rate than other forms of penalties that is the only conclusion I can draw.

And if you don’t believe me just look at the types of players who attempt them.
You won’t find a Roy Keane trying to be clever like that let’s put it that way!

The famously ego-less Roy Keane.
 

Dango Ouattara

I can assure you that the people who run the club couldn’t give a monkeys what Roy Keane thinks.

In fact if he thinks it’s a bad idea, they’ll probably say it’s a good one
The club only care about stats.
And I doubt panenkas are very stat-friendly.
So I’m surprised this was even allowed to happen.
 

Dango Ouattara

Yes for me it is absolutely ego-driven.
Until such a time where someone can prove to me panenkas have a higher success rate than other forms of penalties that is the only conclusion I can draw.

And if you don’t believe me just look at the types of players who attempt them.
You won’t find a Roy Keane trying to be clever like that let’s put it that way!
Remember - Paul Ince (a "Roy Keane" type player) didnt have the b*llocks to take a penalty for his country in a shoot out in the World Cup.
Dango stepped up and missed.
That makes him 100 X the man of somebody who doesnt.
 

Dango Ouattara

Remember - Paul Ince (a "Roy Keane" type player) didnt have the b*llocks to take a penalty for his country in a shoot out in the World Cup.
Dango stepped up and missed.
That makes him 100 X the man of somebody who doesnt.
Are you suggesting he only took that pen cos other teammates p*ssied out?
 

Dango Ouattara

Yes for me it is absolutely ego-driven.
Until such a time where someone can prove to me panenkas have a higher success rate than other forms of penalties that is the only conclusion I can draw.

And if you don’t believe me just look at the types of players who attempt them.
You won’t find a Roy Keane trying to be clever like that let’s put it that way!
You will, however, find Keane being sent off in important games his team went on to lose and walking out on his country because training facilities weren't up to his standard.
So yeah, you may not find him chipping penalties (though missed an important one vs Romania in a game they lost), but he definitely caused more issues for his teams with his ego and poor disciplinary record than Dango has.
 

Dango Ouattara

You will, however, find Keane being sent off in important games his team went on to lose and walking out on his country because training facilities weren't up to his standard.
So yeah, you may not find him chipping penalties (though missed an important one vs Romania in a game they lost), but he definitely caused more issues for his teams with his ego and poor disciplinary record than Dango has.
Fair comment
 

Dango Ouattara

Yes for me it is absolutely ego-driven.
Until such a time where someone can prove to me panenkas have a higher success rate than other forms of penalties that is the only conclusion I can draw.

And if you don’t believe me just look at the types of players who attempt them.
You won’t find a Roy Keane trying to be clever like that let’s put it that way!
Surely, a player who has the confidence to take a penalty only considers what he thinks at that specific moment is the technique that will score. Nothing else will be in his mind.

It will either work or not.
 

Dango Ouattara

Comprehension levels on 0
Less fair comment.

stepping up to take a penalty is not brave when the intention is to take unnecessary risks for your ego to the detriment of your teammates and club.
 

Dango Ouattara

Less fair comment.

stepping up to take a penalty is not brave when the intention is to take unnecessary risks for your ego to the detriment of your teammates and club.
Not sure it was less fair, you knew that wasn't what was being implied.
Everyone who is confident enough to take a penalty in a shootout is taking a risk backed by ego.
 

Dango Ouattara

It’s barely been 24 hours… some of us are allowed to still be peeved.
I’ll be fine come next Monday don’t worry!
I would say all of us were peeved,but the ability to move on overpowers 'being peeved'.

Do not have a bet at Cheltenham just in case the horse falls at the final fence/hurdle and hands the race to the horse down the field.
That can piss anyone off,but there is another race comming up in the same way we have another game coming up.
Its sport it happens and thats life unfortunately.
 

Dango Ouattara

Deserves a huge reception, and a loud rendition of his song, on Monday.
He made the wrong choice with the penalty and he knows that now.
Can't change what's happened, and no amount of abuse is going to help.
Dango, Dango, Dango
He comes from Burkina Faso
There's no one I'd rather
Than Dango Ouattara
Scoring wherever he goes.
 

Dango Ouattara

did any one notice ,Hairyola emerging from the tunnel with a coach with a piece of paper pre pens ? Commentators said maybe he needed the toilet , did he need hs arse wiped ?
Well exactly.
And to be fair this actually makes it even worse.
Django must have known that keepers do their research - so if a recent pen of his was a panenka and he then tries to do it again fairly soon after, that’s beyond brainless.
 

Dango Ouattara

Deserves a huge reception, and a loud rendition of his song, on Monday.
He made the wrong choice with the penalty and he knows that now.
Can't change what's happened, and no amount of abuse is going to help.
Dango, Dango, Dango
He comes from Burkina Faso
There's no one I'd rather
Than Dango Ouattara
Scoring wherever he goes.
i would rather trotta last night!
:fishing:
 
Back
Top Bottom