Darryl Flahavan

JonnoTheBee

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2000
Messages
875
Reaction score
0
Location
Ealing or Norwich: www.intheteam.com/heyjudexi

Darryl Flahavan

Apparently he will be released by Southend. Flahavan is a goalkeeper who they bought off a Conference side (Farnborough???) just before we played them in the LDV Southern Final, and he was with Southampton at some point. I remember him being very highly rated then and someone I know who is a Southend fan highly rates him, and I believe he is being release to relieve costs.

If Smithy is to go, which looks probable then he might just be someone we should look into as he sounds a more than capable replacement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southend_utd/3011047.stm
 

Darryl Flahavan

Too small and slight. Excellent shot stopper but poor on crosses. No thanks.

If we do need a new keeper Simon Royce at about 10% of his current wages would be nice !!
 

Darryl Flahavan

He is a good keeper, seen him twice and he can easily play in the second division. Should be a player we should look to sign, isnt bad on crosses, and a good shot stopper. He was at Woking before joining Southend and is brother of ex pompey keeper Aaron Flahavan.
 

Darryl Flahavan

Am I right in saying that he fainted or had a fit or something in the middle of a match a couple of years ago? I don't know if anyone else will remember this, or whether my mind's just playing tricks, but I'm sure I heard something along those lines.
 

Darryl Flahavan

Atto Bee said:
Am I right in saying that he fainted or had a fit or something in the middle of a match a couple of years ago? I don't know if anyone else will remember this, or whether my mind's just playing tricks, but I'm sure I heard something along those lines.

Yes he did.
 

Darryl Flahavan

Gee Bee said:
Yes he did.

Oh no he didn't ! That was his brother who played for Portsmouth who died a couple of years ago in a car crash.
 

Darryl Flahavan

Bee H said:
Oh no he didn't ! That was his brother who played for Portsmouth who died a couple of years ago in a car crash.

Apologies I thought thats who we were talking about, but then he wouldn't be available would he. :blush
Must remember to read threads thoroughly in future.:cool:
 

Darryl Flahavan

Bee H said:
Oh no he didn't ! That was his brother who played for Portsmouth who died a couple of years ago in a car crash.

Did I read that a fit caused him to have that car crash or am I imagining it?
 

Darryl Flahavan

My apologies to everyone for starting this off, after doing a bit of research, I've discovered that it was Aaron Flahavan, and not Darryl, who collapsed on pitch (twice) and died in a car crash. Anyone interested here's a link about Aaron :

http://www.thepompeypages.co.uk/aaronflav.cfm

Anyway, with regards to Darryl, maybe as a back up keeper to Alan Julian if Smithy leaves, although would be better if we could get a more experienced keeper as replacement for Smith and have Julian as back up for another season.
 

Darryl Flahavan

From what i've heard smudger will soon be winging his way to join harry redknapp, pity but well deserved after his superb displays this season!
 

Darryl Flahavan

Atto Bee said:
although would be better if we could get a more experienced keeper as replacement for Smith and have Julian as back up for another season.

Jul;ian was absloutley brilliant at Barnsley this season. His dosplay equlled taht of Smiths at QPR in December.

If Smith goes, Jullian could be first choice for the jersey.
 

Darryl Flahavan

'Ayes B said:
Jul;ian was absloutley brilliant at Barnsley this season. His dosplay equlled taht of Smiths at QPR in December.

If Smith goes, Jullian could be first choice for the jersey.

Where you pissed when you wrote this? Your keyboard skills have gone all over the place here.
 

Darryl Flahavan

my dads godson used to play for woking.flahaven was no.2 then so i never saw him play
 

Darryl Flahavan

'Ayes B said:
Jul;ian was absloutley brilliant at Barnsley this season. His dosplay equlled taht of Smiths at QPR in December.

If Smith goes, Jullian could be first choice for the jersey.


I have to admit I have only seen Julian play once (Home vs. Mansfield). He looked decent enough, a bit nervous and one or two minor errors but on the whole fairly solid. The only really noticeable flaw was his kicking, seemed to be struggling to get it near the half way line, although this is something that can be worked on hopefully over the summer. How did it seem at Barnsley? Just a worry that poor kicking from goal kicks and back passes could lead to unneccessary pressures on our defence and indecision at the back.

If Julian is first choice for next season, and I'm all for giving him a chance, would that mean Marchena moving up to reserve keeper or bring in someone else?
 

Darryl Flahavan

Marchena has had his contract canvelled from what I have heard...
 

Darryl Flahavan

Edmundo said:
From what I've seen, Julian's kicking is considerably better than Smith's.

That's not saying much!

I think Julian looks a competent replacement. We do need a reserve keeper if Smithy goes, but let's look for a junior understudy who may become a future star rather than a distinctly average older player, who we really don't need.
 

Darryl Flahavan

Maybe I'm wrong but hasn't Jullian played at U21 level? Surley this says he is good enough for Div 2. I would keep him and find another keeper good enough to compete for 1st choice, that's of course if PS does leave.
 

Darryl Flahavan

If PS goes I would strongly suugest we need a new first choice keeper and allow Julian to learn from Stannard and the number one keeper for another couple of years or so.

It is imperative we have a reliable keeper with some experience rahter than yet another promising kid with it all to learn.
 

Darryl Flahavan

Defineatly agree that Julian is good enough. Whenever i've seen him in both the first team and reserves hes looked pretty tasty. From what i can remember his kicking is good. I say give Julian the number one jersey if Smith goes and get an experienced keeper in who is willing to sit on the bench and help Julian mature into a quality keeper.
 
Back
Top Bottom