David Bentley

David Bentley

I bet Brazil wont drop Ronaldinho and Kaka for doing the same thing
 

David Bentley

i love Psycho.....

But Pearce, who won 78 caps for England, said: "It means everything to play for England - when it suits.

"For me, representing your country is not about what suits you, it's about what suits your country, whether it be on the sporting field, whether it be in the armed forces.

"When your country comes calling, you put them first and yourself second."


:monkey: :monkey: :monkey:
 

David Bentley

David Bentley

Shows how little the Three Lions means to very average players who are made millionaires on signing their first club contract.

David Beckham has his detractors but look at his attitude since being dropped by both England and Real Madrid.

Alan Ball and Bobby Moore will be turning in their graves.
 

David Bentley

I'm going to be the dissenter here. He could have gotten Mark Hughes and the Blackburn physio to lie that he had a 'calf strain', like other players do time and again (see: anyonefromManU/Chels/Arse/etc).

Instead he told the truth: As an ever-present 21 year old in the Premiersh*te was physically and mentally exhausted by a long season. Truth was his mistake. He even phoned Pearce personally to explain, instead of hiding behind his club.

Odd summers are the one break international players get and more should be encouraged to go far away from football so they're ready for a European Cup summer next year.

I admire his honesty and hope he gets his chance with the Full England side.
 

David Bentley

Why play in a meaningless tournament and have a week off when he knows a blinding season next season will see him going to the big boys tournament
 

David Bentley

calling it "meaningless" is the wrong word..... if thier is a trophy at stake it is never meaningless.........
 

David Bentley

I think he has been a prat. If he wanted to pull out he should have done it ages ago, he wants to save energy for next season so its not exactly a spur of the moment thing, he could have made this decision months ago!
 

David Bentley

Begs the question what would have happened if Milner, Reo-Coker and the other wannnabe first team players had also pulled out? they've played the same games as him...

I've read his statement and he is basically trying to say it is on the advice of other England players...!!

I remember Sutton pulled out of an England B game beacise he couldn't be bothered. He never saw an England shirt again.

Its actually a trophy we might win so not meaningless in my book.
 

David Bentley

If he was tired why didn't he pull out of the full squad. He trained with them etc.

If he had pulled out of both fine, but to pick and chose is wrong. He should never be picked again.
 

David Bentley

72 minutes of football in the last month, just over 2 minutes a day, I can understand why the poor love is struggling now.
 

David Bentley

72 minutes of football in the last month, just over 2 minutes a day, I can understand why the poor love is struggling now.

Exactly :confused:

If he was tired .. why didnt he just ask Pearce if he could have a few days off to put his feet up .. and give his muscles a rest :rolleyes:

Lets see if he's off to Aiya Napa now for his hols
 

David Bentley

A touch of Berty Big Bollox.As stated,he should of pulled out ages ago instead of letting the squad down.He was ok to go with the big boys to Croatia when I thought he should be in bed as hes so knackered.He probably feeks like hes on the verge of a full cap and hes too good for the U21's
 

David Bentley

Apparently, if England reached the final, he'd have only had a 6 day break before pre-season training, which starts early as Blackburn are in the Intertoto. While I'd agree that is perhaps too little, (a) would he need pre-season if he'd been playing up to 6 days previously, (b) surely Blackburn's first round Intertoto opponents (3rd placed in Lithuania or similar, I imagine) would be weak enough for Rovers to leave him out and let him get a break

He's let himself down most with the timing. It makes it look as though a few days with the full England squad has turned his head, and he thinks he doesn't need the U21s. If he'd said previously (before the squad was announced) that he wasn't up to it I'd have had little problem with it
 

David Bentley

All I keep thinking was that with all these comments the bottom line is: He should have lied. Should have gotten Sparky to tell the press that he had a minor quadricep strain that unfortunately would keep him out. Honesty isn't what anyone wants. No one wants to hear you're beat and need a month off from high-tension, full-on top-level professional football. They'll call you a wuss and ask if you've ever done a day's real work in your life.

Better to lie. This is after all what the 'big' names do ALL the time (and to their full international squads, mind you).

I'm sure the lying-to-the-thick-pratts message is coming through loud and clear.
 

David Bentley

All I keep thinking was that with all these comments the bottom line is: He should have lied. Should have gotten Sparky to tell the press that he had a minor quadricep strain that unfortunately would keep him out. Honesty isn't what anyone wants. No one wants to hear you're beat and need a month off from high-tension, full-on top-level professional football. They'll call you a wuss and ask if you've ever done a day's real work in your life.

Better to lie. This is after all what the 'big' names do ALL the time (and to their full international squads, mind you).

I'm sure the lying-to-the-thick-pratts message is coming through loud and clear.

If he had lied it would have helped England, as we could have drafted in a sub. Honesty wasn't helpful this time
 

David Bentley

SCUM

bentley is nearly as bad as that DOUBLE england traitor Chris Sutton.

i bet he won't have fatigue this time next year if he's selected for Euro 2008, the aunt!!!!


:sorted: :)
 

David Bentley

All I keep thinking was that with all these comments the bottom line is: He should have lied. Should have gotten Sparky to tell the press that he had a minor quadricep strain that unfortunately would keep him out. Honesty isn't what anyone wants. No one wants to hear you're beat and need a month off from high-tension, full-on top-level professional football. They'll call you a wuss and ask if you've ever done a day's real work in your life.

Better to lie. This is after all what the 'big' names do ALL the time (and to their full international squads, mind you).

I'm sure the lying-to-the-thick-pratts message is coming through loud and clear.
No, he shouldn't have lied, but equally he shouldn't have pulled out of the squad after it had been named and he couldn't be replaced. I think he should be told that he's on the same list as Paul Scholes, of players who have retired from international football.
 

David Bentley

Scandalous comments - I hear the real reason is because he needs to work during the eight week break because he cannot live on the pittance of a wage he is paid.. :nono:
 

David Bentley

But Ed, you're proving my point: Because he was honest, he should never be picked again tells all players and managers that only dishonesty is required around here.

When Rio Ferdinand pulls out of a friendly with Finland with a 'left oblique strain', now that's fine. He's had Sir Alex lie for him and he's going to go do some shopping, which is apparently the right way to do things. Ashley Cole has a 'hip flexor' or 'back spasms' and won't be there for that wintery friendly with Paraguay, well whatever Jose says is fine with us. When he's back in the side Saturday, we'll just assume that he got better fast.

But throw the book at Bentley.

By the way, none of us know what 'fatigue' means - I'll almost guarantee that it's mental fatigue, and we should respect that this guy might not be well at the moment.

Eliminating DB (!) because of incomplete information, and no doubt because we'd never say no like he has, is toys out of the pram stuff.


No, he shouldn't have lied, but equally he shouldn't have pulled out of the squad after it had been named and he couldn't be replaced. I think he should be told that he's on the same list as Paul Scholes, of players who have retired from international football.
 

David Bentley

By the way, none of us know what 'fatigue' means - I'll almost guarantee that it's mental fatigue, and we should respect that this guy might not be well at the moment.

Well enough to remain with the full squad at Wembley and travel to Estonia - apparently after Mark Hughes had asked to withdraw him fro mthe squad.
 

David Bentley

I have no idea what your point is.

Well enough to remain with the full squad at Wembley and travel to Estonia - apparently after Mark Hughes had asked to withdraw him fro mthe squad.
 

David Bentley

I guess he means that Bentley has ideas above his station and only wants to be with the full squad and not the 'kids'.
 

David Bentley

David Bentley

The guy should never been seen near an England shirt again - he is lucky enough to have had the talent to have help get himself in this situation - its the millionaire players who don't give a s**t apart from their next fast car or Z-List celeb girlfriend who contribute to the mediocre performances we've come to expect from our national team.

Most football supporters can only dream of being asked to represent their country.
 

David Bentley

The guy should never been seen near an England shirt again - he is lucky enough to have had the talent to have help get himself in this situation - its the millionaire players who don't give a s**t apart from their next fast car or Z-List celeb girlfriend who contribute to the mediocre performances we've come to expect from our national team.

Most football supporters can only dream of being asked to represent their country.

agree 100%. 100%
 

David Bentley

The guy should never been seen near an England shirt again - he is lucky enough to have had the talent to have help get himself in this situation - its the millionaire players who don't give a s**t apart from their next fast car or Z-List celeb girlfriend who contribute to the mediocre performances we've come to expect from our national team.

Most football supporters can only dream of being asked to represent their country.

Don't forget Andy Cole who also 'retired' from international football because he wasn't good enough to be selected.
 

David Bentley

.............never lived up to his potential...........
 

David Bentley

What is it with this guy, about five/six years ago he seemed to have everything going for him, now he looks like he'll drop down as Alan Smith has done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19513687

I don't think his ability was the problem.If you look at the clubs he has been at and managers who have failed to develop him or work with him and i think the proof is there.They can't all be wrong.
 

David Bentley

was it 'Arry that wasted £17m on him.. keep up the good work at qpeer lol

On the contrary, Redknapp never rated him. He was signed when Juande Ramos was manager, though that doesn't mean it was Ramos's decision to recruit him.
 

David Bentley

A career well and truly spunked, I expect he made enough money to make it worthwhile for himself.
 

David Bentley

I could have this very wrong, but I sense players like him and Jonathan Woodgate will one day be telling all sorts of stories about what they got up to during their playing careers...
 

David Bentley

I remember watching him at Norwich the last time they were in the top flight. He was an embarrassment!!!
 

David Bentley

I remember watching him at Norwich the last time they were in the top flight. He was an embarrassment!!!

I remember him being a very good player there..
 

David Bentley

I remember him being a very good player there..

He really wasn't. I watched him a lot during his spell there and they quite rightfully sent him back early as he was toilet.

It was the following year at Blackburn when he started hitting form.
 
Back
Top Bottom