Depth Chart 2023-24

PGH_Bee

#1 target
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
2,060
Reaction score
3,738
Location
Pittsburgh, United States

Depth Chart 2023-24

Hello all, I've noticed that player discussion threads most often get off topic when discussing different competing players for the same role. So I'm hoping a depth chart thread will help keep those on topic, as well as generate some good discussion around formations/lineups which I think can be missing at times. I'll edit this as the season goes on, on a per-formation basis and based on injuries/absences. Running with a 4-3-3 and 3-5-2. These will not be perfect, I am sure... especially with Toney currently not included and players like Collins working their way into the team. Generally speaking, if they are at the top of the list I am considering them first-choice and the color denotes how much confidence they should be played with in that formation. The 3-5-2 specifically may not always be right because I suspect Onyeka will typically start there as a second DM, with the more attacking minded CMs taking a back seat. Another disclaimer - haven't made a post quite like this before so any feedback or formatting/readability are very welcome.


1701355673343.png


1701355689817.png

Update summary Week 1:
Swapped Pinnock and Mee in a few cases to show which side they usually play
Corrected mislabelling on wing backs
Added asterisks to show injured players
Added some green to 3-5-2 to show which players started/confidence levels. If anyone thinks there is too much green, I am definitely open to reverting to add more yellow to show second choice more clearly.
Removed 3-4-3... It's fun to play with but ultimately situational and takes up a lot of space, so reducing the quantity of content to improve the quality

Update Summary week 2... Removed some green players based on recent performance, notably Schade to yellow on LW
Removed 'injury' asterisks from Onyeka and Jensen, added them to Baptiste and Dasilva

Update Week 5... Rico :(

Been a while, but new updates in preparation for Luton Town. Since Damsgaard played in the midweek friendly, I have him in the lineup... doesn't necessarily mean he'd be starting though.
 
Last edited:

Depth Chart 2023-24

Nice work. A few thoughts to get the debate going:
  • I think in Mee has been starting as the LCB both in a 4 or a 3. Pinnock centre in the 3
  • I’d say Collins probably ahead of Zanka, while Zanka almost always plays on the right
  • Mads Bech would probably be preferable at LB to Janelt. But he’ll probably be gone soon anyway
  • Baptiste can play across the midfield, though I’d have concerns about him playing Norgaard’s role except when we’re chasing a game. Can’t see us ever using him on LW though
  • Schade is more likely to play LW, though so far he’s been more effective when he’s replaced Bryan.
  • I don’t share your concerns about Josh playing at RW. I just have concerns that last season he didn’t always make the right choice when he gets in a great position. Except against Citeh…
I’m not sure the 3-4-3 really warrants a depth chart as it’s situational and depends on who is on the pitch. And every time we’ve switched to it we’ve either subbed the fullbacks or they’ve dropped into the back 3.
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

Nice work. A few thoughts to get the debate going:
  • I think in Mee has been starting as the LCB both in a 4 or a 3. Pinnock centre in the 3
  • I’d say Collins probably ahead of Zanka, while Zanka almost always plays on the right
  • Mads Bech would probably be preferable at LB to Janelt. But he’ll probably be gone soon anyway
  • Baptiste can play across the midfield, though I’d have concerns about him playing Norgaard’s role except when we’re chasing a game. Can’t see us ever using him on LW though
  • Schade is more likely to play LW, though so far he’s been more effective when he’s replaced Bryan.
  • I don’t share your concerns about Josh playing at RW. I just have concerns that last season he didn’t always make the right choice when he gets in a great position. Except against Citeh…
I’m not sure the 3-4-3 really warrants a depth chart as it’s situational and depends on who is on the pitch. And every time we’ve switched to it we’ve either subbed the fullbacks or they’ve dropped into the back 3.
Thank you friend!

On Collins v Zanka, I do agree that Collins is more likely to play over him but Zanka performed well in the role last year against top opponents. So I defaulted to keeping him there and figured I could update as the season goes on.

I think Vitaly subbed on at LB once so I defaulted to him as a swiss army knife.

I would agree with you on Baptiste... but I wanted to get it rounded out there and he played forward in the 5-1 friendly v Lille.

I know, Schade has looked really good at RW and less so at LW. I almost prefer him to start on the bench and use as an impact sub rather than move Bryan out of his RW spot, and I'd like to see what KLP can do there as an inverted winger rather than playing Schade out of his comfort zone.
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

The club has a different model where there are 16 positions so some players may either double up.on positions or we may only have one suitable in that position or maybe use B team
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

Nice work. A few thoughts to get the debate going:
  • I think in Mee has been starting as the LCB both in a 4 or a 3. Pinnock centre in the 3
  • I’d say Collins probably ahead of Zanka, while Zanka almost always plays on the right
  • Mads Bech would probably be preferable at LB to Janelt. But he’ll probably be gone soon anyway
  • Baptiste can play across the midfield, though I’d have concerns about him playing Norgaard’s role except when we’re chasing a game. Can’t see us ever using him on LW though
  • Schade is more likely to play LW, though so far he’s been more effective when he’s replaced Bryan.
  • I don’t share your concerns about Josh playing at RW. I just have concerns that last season he didn’t always make the right choice when he gets in a great position. Except against Citeh…
I’m not sure the 3-4-3 really warrants a depth chart as it’s situational and depends on who is on the pitch. And every time we’ve switched to it we’ve either subbed the fullbacks or they’ve dropped into the back 3.
Or Leicester.. Or forest... Etc... Nobody makes the right choice every time ?
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

I'd just say after the quickest glance Zanka has never played on the left of a centre back 2 or 3. He is more right footed than a right footed player!
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

I'd just say after the quickest glance Zanka has never played on the left of a centre back 2 or 3. He is more right footed than a right footed player!
I think I saw him play on right in one of US games, but was surprised to see it.
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

As aslan says Mee is usually the left sided CB . It surprises me that so may seem to place him on the right.
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

Or Leicester.. Or forest... Etc... Nobody makes the right choice every time ?
Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Josh fan. But his decision making is the one area he really needs to develop this season. We know he's got the technique, pace and strength, its just knowing which is the best to use in each situation. When he gets it right, like in the US, then wow!!!
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

FC646147-5E13-4ED6-A85D-F869F4DA41B1.jpeg
Weren’t entirely sure where to send, this was the first thread I found that somewhat related. But no surprise T Frank was such an advocate of 5 subs, indicating our real depth for an ‘Other 12’ side.
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

View attachment 41327
Weren’t entirely sure where to send, this was the first thread I found that somewhat related. But no surprise T Frank was such an advocate of 5 subs, indicating our real depth for an ‘Other 12’ side.
Intuitively I thought the 5 sub rule would just favour the big teams but it has really benefitted us. We have a number of interchangeable players that can tweak our in game approach and TF has been a master in using them. It also keeps more of the squad involved. I used to worry when we made subs, now I am confident that they can all contribute valuable cameos.
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

Thank you friend!

On Collins v Zanka, I do agree that Collins is more likely to play over him but Zanka performed well in the role last year against top opponents. So I defaulted to keeping him there and figured I could update as the season goes on.

I think Vitaly subbed on at LB once so I defaulted to him as a swiss army knife.

I would agree with you on Baptiste... but I wanted to get it rounded out there and he played forward in the 5-1 friendly v Lille.

I know, Schade has looked really good at RW and less so at LW. I almost prefer him to start on the bench and use as an impact sub rather than move Bryan out of his RW spot, and I'd like to see what KLP can do there as an inverted winger rather than playing Schade out of his comfort zone.
Vitaly has I think come on at LB a few times but usually in an unorthodox way in late game charges where we’ve basically gone 235 and he combines CB, LB and midfield roles. So having him as an option in one of our usual starting formations is a bit of a stretch.
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

Vitaly has I think come on at LB a few times but usually in an unorthodox way in late game charges where we’ve basically gone 235 and he combines CB, LB and midfield roles. So having him as an option in one of our usual starting formations is a bit of a stretch.
He'd never be a left back, only nominally there to keep an eye on the space while we're going all-out attack chasing a game.
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

Week 3 update, sorry for being a day slower than normal...
1. Decided to remove the long-term injured players from the lineup entirely to reduce clutter, put them in their own adjacent column.
2. Moved just a couple of colors around, notably Schade now green on the left side.
3. Added Saman Ghoddos with his own special color.

That's it for this week!
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

Is ghoddos a darker red than olakigbe Yarmoliuk bech and balcombe or is that just my phone screen? Bit harsh if so. Also going by formations Frank has actually used in the prem ghoddos might be above ajer and klp in the wingback pecking order on either side. Still would have him red in whatever position he plays

We've also seen mbeumo as a wingback and Henry as a winger at times but I understand not wanting to overcomplicate it with niche cases where players have been used out of position for a few minutes at the end of the game

Damsgaard has actually had a full premier league start or 2 at LW as well and it was his primary position before he came to us so he's got at least as much a claim there as Janelt does to left back (would probably put him in red though he looked well off the pace required for a pl winger)
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

Is ghoddos a darker red than olakigbe Yarmoliuk bech and balcombe or is that just my phone screen? Bit harsh if so. Also going by formations Frank has actually used in the prem ghoddos might be above ajer and klp in the wingback pecking order on either side. Still would have him red in whatever position he plays

We've also seen mbeumo as a wingback and Henry as a winger at times but I understand not wanting to overcomplicate it with niche cases where players have been used out of position for a few minutes at the end of the game

Damsgaard has actually had a full premier league start or 2 at LW as well and it was his primary position before he came to us so he's got at least as much a claim there as Janelt does to left back (would probably put him in red though he looked well off the pace required for a pl winger)
Good comments. The Ghoddos color was mostly a little joke based on the reaction to the signing.

I opted to try to limit a players appearance in a formation to two, to reduce clutter.

And with Damsgaard and left wing, you’re absolutely right. I’ll include that update next week
 

Depth Chart 2023-24

Janelt has covered for CB too...
True! But mostly when we've swapped to a 3-4-3 in desperation situations... I did have him as a CB in that formation but I removed it to reduce clutter as well as it's a sizeable post already... Here's what I had based on what we've had in the past, used Palace last year as the model.

1693482215124.png
 
Back
Top Bottom