Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

exactly right. I am very alarmed by this report and really, really hope the board does not pursue it. I think we should stick with Fozzy (though I had my doubts at first, he's proved himself). If not that, then we need someone who has proved themselves in English football. No stupid gambles please.
I agee with you
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

How has Forster proved himself!?! The shortsightedness on this thread is outstanding !!
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Very good record at St. Johnstone on a very limited budget my friend in Scotland tells me. Ambitious young man. Gets my vote. At the end of the day we won't get an Alex Ferguson whilst we are a lower league club, but a budding one.... you never know.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

I'd like to point out that Cleveland Taylor is nowhere near a catastrophic signing. I don't think that Derek McInnes (or Andy Scott for that matter) should be judged for signing him. He played more than 200 games at league 1/champioship level hasn't he?
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

x2

We now have a very generous benefactor and a Board who are attempting to work together and do the right thing. That makes us big on potential. McInnes could be taking a real risk coming to us from the SPL so that door swings both ways.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Terry Butcher has done well in Scotland! Is that an advert for the quality of SPL management!

This comparison has been done to death already. Terry Butcher's performance up there is no indication whatsoever of how McInnes would perform here.

There are lots of potential reasons why it did not work out for TB here. Maybe working with a small club in the the SPL pond which has two big sharks in it is more his cup of tea than the fourth tier of English football with a club expecting a minimum of the play-offs. Maybe the set-up was wrong, and it really did not work with AS.

If McInnes is driven and can work well with players, his union (there's an interesting word) with Brentford could be a fruitful one.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

The board would appear to be thinking outside the box as another poster has suggested. The fact that most of us have not heard of McInnes only shows our lack of knowledge of the game outside our own backyard. A lot of research has obviously been done by the board and I am certainly encouraged by the very positive comments from SJ fans and their obvious good wishes to a manager who appears to be about to leave them. It must count for something, If Nicky is not to get the gig and I for one would have been happy to see him given a chance then McInnes seems a pretty good option.

I fully agree, I know that this "apointment to be" has taken us all by suprise, so full marks to the board if it's true, they had the common sense to let NF get us out of trouble, but obviously do not see him as a solution long term, perhaps with this "appointment to be" they have thought outside the box at last, not a nice situation for them with regards NF, but if its to be McInnes so be it, at least they appear to have the balls to do so, roll on next season.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

If true, surprised to see Justin Edinburgh as a candidate. Nicky at least deserves to be on the shortlist for his efforts although I don't he's the right man at this time
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

The fact that he's been linked with West Brom and Burnley is very impressive. My only concern is that our main problem seems to be scoring goals (apart from Saturday obviously) but St Johnstone have scored just 22 league goals all season, with only 9 goals at home. Discounting bottom-of-the-table Hamilton, every other team has scored at least double that at home.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

People keep saying RDM has good contacts.

How is this information known? Is it because he played for chelsea or do those that say he has,know of him or people he has worked with?

Or is it just no nothing numpty's who think if they say it out loud it must be true?

Please clue me up on how to get to know all these star managers well enough to know these things.

cheers
 
Last edited:

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Your basis for bigging up Nicky Forster who has the grand total of 3 months footballing experience is that he is articulate and wants us to play good football.

For anyone to say that someone who has played more than 700 games over almost two decades has "the grand total of 3 months footballing experience" is perverse.

Having an articulate manager who wants his team to play good football is an essential requirement of any successful team in the modern era. In Nicky Forster's case though he was more than precatory in relation to the quality of football to be played: he from time to time actually got the team playing much better football than previously. This is evidence to suggest that the quaility of football produced would be likely to improve the longer he remained as manager.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Expand young man?

Well, when I read this post:

As long as you have enough for Justin Edinburgh. :mad1:

This is the **** that effectively ended Neil Smillie's career. Not welcome.

I thought I would look into this a little. Didn't find much about an injury to Smiler, so will have another try later, but did find something - it looks like he has the right connections:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1395887/35000-for-reckless-tackle.html

:fishing:

I still think McInnes has to be the favourite because of the coverage over the past 24 hours, but I did wonder why Edinburgh's name came about...
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

For anyone to say that someone who has played more than 700 games over almost two decades has "the grand total of 3 months footballing experience" is perverse.

Having an articulate manager who wants his team to play good football is an essential requirement of any successful team in the modern era. In Nicky Forster's case though he was more than precatory in relation to the quality of football to be played: he from time to time actually got the team playing much better football than previously. This is evidence to suggest that the quaility of football produced would be likely to improve the longer he remained as manager.

Accepted. But to suggest that Forster, would be less of a gamble than McInnes just because he's been in the hotseat for the past three months (which is what I think Nurse Betty was getting at) is equally perverse IMO. Although not in England, McInnes has a managerial track record whilst Forster has barely grown his baby teeth.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Accepted. But to suggest that Forster, would be less of a gamble than McInnes just because he's been in the hotseat for the past three months (which is what I think Nurse Betty was getting at) is equally perverse IMO. Although not in England, McInnes has a managerial track record whilst Forster has barely grown his baby teeth.


I suppose the Bournemouth board could have taken that view with Eddie Howe ............ ?
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

I suppose the Bournemouth board could have taken that view with Eddie Howe ............ ?

Agreed. I would hazzard a guess that there are just as many instances of a players being promoted to manager and failing though. Howe's replacement has found life tough going has he not ? I suppose it just underlines the fact that any appointment comes with an element of risk. Mitigating that risk by employing a candidate who ticks as many boxes as possible is really what I expect most from those tasked with the selection.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

I suppose the Bournemouth board could have taken that view with Eddie Howe ............ ?

A big gamble they took that paid off,but this one for us we need to improve the odds.
McInnes is not the gamble Forster appears to be.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Strewth this suggested Manager has really wound everyone up and I must say I am a little amused at some of the criticism he is getting on here as I was not aware we had so many ardent followers of Scottish Football.

Dealing with the known candidates presumably NF and DeMateo well we have seen what NF can offer, he is eloquent and wants his teams to play proper football, however he seems to play players out of position, when things go wrong he changes the personnel but not often the formation and is very inexperienced in Football management, also it seems that it is not him who has the connections to get loans etc.

DeMateo did well at both MKDons and West Brom although didnt they sack him?? a very pleasant man and has the same attributes as Forster being eloquent and playing attacking football, no doubt his name would help attract players however I am not sure that he still has much knowledge of the lower leagues and I would imagine that his shopping list might be quite expensive.

The club have a clear direction for the future with academies development squads etc etc and I beleive that NF would be on board for all that this involves wheras I am not so sure whether DeMateo would be as instant success is his target as in reality he wants a top job again.

Which brings us to the young man from Scotland and thanks to the St Johnson supporters who have taken the time and trouble to update us with some extremley complimentary descriptions of his Managerial abilities. From what I can see this is someone who wants to get into English Management, has experience of lomited budgets so will welcome a larger war chest and fully encompass the ideals stated by the Football Club. By all accounts his teams play proper football and he has shown that he has a winning mentality.

As far as I am concerned presuming he has met all the criteria that the board have stipulated then he is probably the best of the 3 candidates, yes his name is not going to attract lots of supporters however I have no doubt that he has a number of contacts within English Football who may be prepared to do him a favour, more probably than either of the other candidates.

I cannot understand the negativity and constant demand that NF should continue, there is no doubt he has done well but I do not see him as our long term answer if we are to fulfill the clubs ambitions and would far rather have someone who has already got promotion and cup finals on his CV for a club that has no expectation of acheiving that level of success.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

I'd like to point out that Cleveland Taylor is nowhere near a catastrophic signing. I don't think that Derek McInnes (or Andy Scott for that matter) should be judged for signing him. He played more than 200 games at league 1/champioship level hasn't he?

:imwith:

My memory of Cleveland Taylor is that of me and 2500 other Bees, jumping around with joy after he scored that diving header at Southampton..

He wasn't the worst player we've signed, and to use him as a stick to beat McInnes is stupid
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Well, when I read this post:



I thought I would look into this a little. Didn't find much about an injury to Smiler, so will have another try later, but did find something - it looks like he has the right connections:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1395887/35000-for-reckless-tackle.html

:fishing:

I still think McInnes has to be the favourite because of the coverage over the past 24 hours, but I did wonder why Edinburgh's name came about...

mmm, i see!!
Afterwards Andrew Mills, Edinburgh's agent, said: "I don't think this case sets any precedent. Justin has always maintained there was no malicious intent meant in this challenge."
Makes you wonder :banghead:
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Reading all this coverage it appears that McInnes the person that BFC want.
But with Di Matteo and now Edinburgh on the scene it may allrest on the amount of compensation that St Johnstone want or what can be agreed between the parties
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Well, when I read this post:



I thought I would look into this a little. Didn't find much about an injury to Smiler, so will have another try later, but did find something - it looks like he has the right connections:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1395887/35000-for-reckless-tackle.html

:fishing:

I still think McInnes has to be the favourite because of the coverage over the past 24 hours, but I did wonder why Edinburgh's name came about...

well researched! who were his other clients?
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Not my opinion, but a most articulate post.

KPIs are new since my day as ceo of a London marketing / pr / events agency, and before that head of promotions at Capital Radio, but I am sure they are vital. At least until someone invents another buzz phrase. Then, of course, someone will re-route back to gut instinct. Twas ever thus.

Blunstone,

You'll be familiar with KPI's, it's just a term from last 15 years or so. In your day they were probably included in any contracts drawn up under measurable objectives, measures of success or targets to be met.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

i can handle most of the "sh*te" stuff lol
but
"sh*te fans", you don't have a clue mate, some of the best fans in the world.
but thats a different debate.

anyway just came on to give you the heads up on Saints and Delboy.
If you don't get him someone else will, no doubt about.
if you do get him there will be some on here eating humble pie i tell you.
and there will be a squad down to see him next season so you better make us welcome.

I have watched a number of games in Scotland over many years and i have found them to be the most knowledgable supporters i have met.Always welcomed me aswell.Thanks for your insight.:sorted:
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

For anyone to say that someone who has played more than 700 games over almost two decades has "the grand total of 3 months footballing experience" is perverse.

Having an articulate manager who wants his team to play good football is an essential requirement of any successful team in the modern era. In Nicky Forster's case though he was more than precatory in relation to the quality of football to be played: he from time to time actually got the team playing much better football than previously. This is evidence to suggest that the quaility of football produced would be likely to improve the longer he remained as manager.

That should have read '...grand total of 3 months football management experience...'. My mistake.

Given that you do not know whether the footballing nous that changed our style of play came from Forster or Warburton (someone who has considerably more coaching experience than Forster), I can't see how it is evidence of anything of the sort. Logically, then, the embarrassing quality of some of the play under Forster would suggest the football would become worse.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

For the love of God, man! You have not a CLUE what Derek McInnes contacts are in English football. Even if they are not so good, there are plenty of people at BFC who can help develop those contacts, not the least of which will be Matthew Benham. Do you seriously think West Brom and Burnley would have been interested in him in recent times if he didn't show enormous potential?

Your basis for bigging up Nicky Forster who has the grand total of 3 months footballing experience is that he is articulate and wants us to play good football. Marvellous. Let's sign him immediately. Nicky did a good job in conjunction with Warburton in keeping us up and in changing the style of football. He also presided over some utter disasters on the pitch so it was a mixed bag during his reign. If you want to talk about taking risks, there's one for you.

As for signings, please show me one manager anywhere in football in the UK who hasn't made a signing they have subsequently regretted. Especially a manager with a restricted playing budget.

What do St Johnstone have to play for... What the hell are you going on about? Brentford have the FA Cup, the League Cup and the Paint Pot to play for. We didn't win any of them. Does that have any great meaning? We are not a big club in my opinion. We have been stuck at our present level of football or lower for many years and have been woefully short of funds and very poorly run both on and off the pitch for long periods of time. We now have a very generous benefactor and a Board who are attempting to work together and do the right thing. That makes us big on potential. McInnes could be taking a real risk coming to us from the SPL so that door swings both ways.

Cheers Nurse, you saved me from typing! mattbee85 sounds like he's on the verge of a nervous breakdown every time he posts!
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

But as said above Di Matteo has the experiance of being in this league, he got Mk and West Brom playing very good football, did anyone happen too see what west brom did at arsenal and man utd? he sets his side out too play no matter size of opposition and the players will look up to him. If hes willing to come to us you have to bite his hand off! Mciness knows Jack sh*t about english football and you want too no why i no? because he signed Taylor and Duberry....enough said. Forster has to be second choice if RDM isn't interested as he knows brentford inside out and presumbley already knows what do for next season. I gurantee will keep a lot of the players there next season to give them all "second chances". He will be just another butcher

Di Matteo lost the dressing room and the board.Then they sacked him.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

It seems he's out of contract soon, so shouldn't cost much in compensation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_johnstone/8311149.stm

"Page last updated at 14:08 GMT, Friday, 16 October 2009 15:08 UK"
not particularly up to date!

"McInnes has been linked with vacant managerial posts at Watford and West Brom in 2009, after which he extended his contract at St Johnstone until May 2011."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13327691.stm
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

W

Little man syndrome, used to swagger about Kingston and Weybridge with Frank Sinclair who dressed like Snoop Dog and just couldn't take his drink.

Bouncers all knew him and saved him.getting a hiding on more than a few occasions as he could start a fight with himself.


and under mc innes became a model pro according to saints fan , owen coyle said he had great people skills , the more i read about this the better it gets.really hope hes our new mannager , well done BFC people for making this a possibility:sorted::sorted::sorted::)
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

glad i'm not making the decision... the differences of opinion on here show that whatever happens, the board are guaranteed to have got it wrong in some people's eyes... you can't please all the people all the time...

also, personally, the fact the board 'found' mcInnes themselves when noone on here even mentioned him, makes me comfortable with their decision making... sorry, but i do believe they will do a much better job finding the right person than a lot of us on here would do.

bumsuck over.



rofl rofl
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Don't really understand some of the negativity on this thread and you have to come to the conclusion that there will be no pleasing some bees fans - no matter who we appoint there will be some that refuse to give the manager a chance from day 1. Maybe we should just appoint MA, get so far, then fail, but at least there will be lots of PR and hot air about the place.

As has been said Scottish managers have a decent pedigree - Ferguson, Dalgliesh and coming down towards our level Owen Coyle and Paul Lambert. I bet Norwich fans weren't doing cartwheels when Lambert was first appointed, now look where they are. I would imagine the same could be said for Burnley fans when they got Owen Coyle from little old mid table SPL rubbish St Johnstone, and look where they ended up. Coyle got Burnley and now Bolton playing good football and successful/winning football to match, I'm sure seeing as McInnes was his no.2 he must have the same thoughts and ideas about the game.

He's played lower league football in England and no doubt has contacts. He's young and ambitious which ticks the right boxes. And we mustn't forget that maybe he is one of the better candidates willing to talk to us.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of who they would like to be our manager, but those saying appointing Derek McInnes would be a rubbish appointment, mistake, underwhelming, etc, need to get a grip on themselves.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

:imwith:

My memory of Cleveland Taylor is that of me and 2500 other Bees, jumping around with joy after he scored that diving header at Southampton..

He wasn't the worst player we've signed, and to use him as a stick to beat McInnes is stupid

Oh me too, he'll live in my heart till the day I die for that header.

I think he was one of the Scott players that never really got the run of games he needed. to have been Carlisle's player of the season 2 years running, or whatever it was, says there had to be something there
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Di Matteo great, McInnes fine but why on earth would we prefer Justin F****** Edinburgh over Nicky Forster. Somebody must be having a laugh!
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

Slightly off topic but the "Saintees" message board thread about this has one post where a local radio station mentioned Mr Benham is worth £900,000,000!!! News to me!
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

I think the club would do very well to 'leak' it to the press that Edinburgh isn't on the shortlist. Or if he was that he is no longer. I'm very pleased with it being between McInnes and Di Matteo but the mention of Edinburgh's name in the press and his links to Mills is damaging and people will use it as a stick to beat the board with, whether it's true or not.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

I think the club would do very well to 'leak' it to the press that Edinburgh isn't on the shortlist. Or if he was that he is no longer. I'm very pleased with it being between McInnes and Di Matteo but the mention of Edinburgh's name in the press and his links to Mills is damaging and people will use it as a stick to beat the board with, whether it's true or not.

well said. there is no way i can see the KPIs that were set would be met by edinburgh... call me negative but he would be as welcome as stimson and i totally agree that his links to mills make him a potentially damaging contender.
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

... Mr Benham is worth £900,000,000!
Must be Scottish Pounds! What is the exchange rate?

Anyway, all this [often mindless] speculation is so much fun! AFAIK, the only short-listed candidate that we actually know of is McInnes, as stated by his chairman, everyone else is just a guess, although gut feeling says it's not NF. I wonder if the other two we've not heard of either...
 

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

I posted my opinions last night on your poll. What I would like to add is that I dont know if Del will be successful if he comes to you, no one does but what I will say is that you wont find a more professional manager in the game. Everything is planned in fine detail, couldn't spell the other word. I have enjoyed reading this thread, some guys seem to be more accepting of our crap league's manager.

I could be wrong but I think he played in the Premiership with WBA, certainly the th Championship or its previous incarnation.

Oh and Duberry has been superb for us. What you should remember is that when we play some bigger teams we are under a lot of pressure. Not only has he been superb he has helped one of our previously bombscare centre halfs become a very good defender.
 
Last edited:

Derek McInnes Next Manager?

rumour has it that jimmy flyod hasselbaink is also a target as manager
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom