Eng/Ger vs our promotion

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

Totally different wasn't even nervous one jot for England whereas being at Wembley v Swansea was hellish until the 96th min....it's Brentford over England anyday of the week for me doesn't even come anywhere near close....
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

How did yesterday feel on the euphoria Richter scale compared to our promotion?

How do you feel England winning the Euro would be compared to our promotion?

For me, it doesn't even come close. Interested to hear how others feel.
I felt last night about the same as when we got to the quarter finals of the League Cup last season. Maybe not as much.

If England win the thing, I doubt I'll be there, so that would be less exciting for a start. But it wouldn't compare anyway. I don't know any proper football supporters who put country over club.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

Irrelevant of the tournament or opponent, I don't think winning a last 16 tie can even comes close.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I’ve been more anxious to win some Johnstone Paint Pot Trophy 1st leg ties than I have last night. (I started writing that as a joke but I think it’s probably true).

As already said above though they’re different things but I consider England very much a ‘bonus’ nowadays whereas Brentford results/performances consistently influence my mood.

Would still love England to win it but I’m not losing any sleep over it (unlike Brentford).
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I was thinking about this before last night's game. If I had the choice of watching England Vs Germany or Bees away at say Scunthorpe in the Carabao Cup on TV last night I know which game I would have been watching. England success is nice to have. Bees are an important part of my life.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I was worried that I wasn't normal because I didn't really react when we scored the goals which surprised me. Very pleased we won of course but didn't really 'get me'. Mind you I vividly remember 1966!
Wembley a few weeks ago - I was seriously worried for my heart.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I'm greedy - I want both. With the Bees promotion in the bag, I'm now fervently hoping England win the Euros to add the cherry to the football cake.

If England can win, it will be a huge lift and real feel good factor for the whole country - we're just lucky that we'll have the extra buzz from the Bees promotion. Come on England!!
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I'm greedy - I want both. With the Bees promotion in the bag, I'm now fervently hoping England win the Euros to add the cherry to the football cake.

If England can win, it will be a huge lift and real feel good factor for the whole country - we're just lucky that we'll have the extra buzz from the Bees promotion. Come on England!!
This.
Come on England.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

Close thread and reopen when England win the tournament, that's when a comparison is a valid excersise. Last 16 win does not equate to an EPL promotion game.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

Two of our players representing a country reaching the finals of the Euros would be another amazing achievement for our club. Hopefully a DK vs England final at Wembely.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

Two of our players representing a country reaching the finals of the Euros would be another amazing achievement for our club. Hopefully a DK vs England final at Wembely.
Not possible.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I felt last night about the same as when we got to the quarter finals of the League Cup last season. Maybe not as much.

If England win the thing, I doubt I'll be there, so that would be less exciting for a start. But it wouldn't compare anyway. I don't know any proper football supporters who put country over club.
I’ve suffered for years and years of other footie fans talking about the League Cup being relatively unimportant, and again seeing the Bees on t.v. against Leicester in the f.a.cup (which to me is a much more important competition) watching Gary Lineker trying his level best to talk the match up. England beating Germany is a great result, yet my mind wandered every so often as to where I sat, the day when we were there, getting ourselves promoted.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

Silly question to be honest. Brentford going up meant everything, and still does.

England beating Germany was a nice to have, but I don't necessarily identify with any of those players. We had a zoom call with our manager ffs! :LOL:
Good point. I’ve noticed that mates who support big teams like Man U etc from afar seem more engaged with supporting the England team.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I think it makes a difference if you’re there…. Watching the Bournemouth and Swansea play off games with my best friends and family and a few thousand like minded souls doesn’t compare to watching an England game, on a big screen in a hotel bar with fifty others who literally have no clue about football. The same people screaming for Kane and Sterling to be dropped or substituted at half time. ?

I also struggle to get my head around the fact that a vast majority of those England players will be doing their absolute best, and/or cheating to stop Brentford getting points in six weeks time.
International tournaments throw up so many quanderies…. If you’re a Chelsea fan watching last night…. Havertz, Rudiger and Werner all playing for Germany with Kane, the main man for your deadly rivals playing for England?… work that one out.

I guess I was lucky that I was round for Italia 90, and subsequently Euro 96. Both brilliant tournaments and I loved being an England fan back then, but every tournament since has got less significant for me - although the 2018 World Cup was good.

So, after all that, I think it’s fair to say that the England football team winning Euro 20/21 won’t even register compared to what my wonderful club achieved last season.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I think it makes a difference if you’re there…. Watching the Bournemouth and Swansea play off games with my best friends and family and a few thousand like minded souls doesn’t compare to watching an England game, on a big screen in a hotel bar with fifty others who literally have no clue about football. The same people screaming for Kane and Sterling to be dropped or substituted at half time. ?

I also struggle to get my head around the fact that a vast majority of those England players will be doing their absolute best, and/or cheating to stop Brentford getting points in six weeks time.
International tournaments throw up so many quanderies…. If you’re a Chelsea fan watching last night…. Havertz, Rudiger and Werner all playing for Germany with Kane, the main man for your deadly rivals playing for England?… work that one out.

I guess I was lucky that I was round for Italia 90, and subsequently Euro 96. Both brilliant tournaments and I loved being an England fan back then, but every tournament since has got less significant for me - although the 2018 World Cup was good.

So, after all that, I think it’s fair to say that the England football team winning Euro 20/21 won’t even register compared to what my wonderful club achieved last season.
Good wasn't it? You've got me in the mood to watch the Quest highlights again!
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

Incomparable for me. It's more the stress levels, yesterday even at nil nil I was relaxed and wouldn't have been devastated had we lost. Don't get me wrong, I wanted us to win and I would love us to go on and win the whole tournament but if we get knocked out or lost the final it would ruin me in the same way.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

Two of our players representing a country reaching the finals of the Euros would be another amazing achievement for our club. Hopefully a DK vs England final at Wembely.

If England meet Denmark it will be in the semi final. So, suppose Jensen and Norgaard in the starting line up for Denmark, a test of loyalties?
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

Promotion meant Premier league guaranteed

All England have done last night is get to the last 8
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

It was nice that England won but it is not the first time they have won at Wembley, No comparison really. Bees are by far my number one team.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

If England meet Denmark it will be in the semi final. So, suppose Jensen and Norgaard in the starting line up for Denmark, a test of loyalties?
No test of loyalties form me, I would be cheering for Christian, Matty and the rest of the Denmark squad.
The Ingerland millionaires will be out to get us relegated from August 13 while Thomas and the boys will be out to stop them........Come on Denmark :sorted:
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I think it makes a difference if you’re there…. Watching the Bournemouth and Swansea play off games with my best friends and family and a few thousand like minded souls doesn’t compare to watching an England game, on a big screen in a hotel bar with fifty others who literally have no clue about football. The same people screaming for Kane and Sterling to be dropped or substituted at half time. ?

I also struggle to get my head around the fact that a vast majority of those England players will be doing their absolute best, and/or cheating to stop Brentford getting points in six weeks time.
International tournaments throw up so many quanderies…. If you’re a Chelsea fan watching last night…. Havertz, Rudiger and Werner all playing for Germany with Kane, the main man for your deadly rivals playing for England?… work that one out.

I guess I was lucky that I was round for Italia 90, and subsequently Euro 96. Both brilliant tournaments and I loved being an England fan back then, but every tournament since has got less significant for me - although the 2018 World Cup was good.

So, after all that, I think it’s fair to say that the England football team winning Euro 20/21 won’t even register compared to what my wonderful club achieved last season.
Much of this down to age I think - as a general rule of thumb I'm sure supporting England is a bigger deal when you're younger or, at least it was for me.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I did not even jump out of my chair when England scored. When I watch the bees on TV my wife always knows if we won from the noise emanating from the TV room. Yesterday she had to ask me the score!
Nothing can compare to being at LR and Wembley when we won promotion and I have been supporting for over 65 years. I hope England win the Euros but if not, no big deal.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

No test of loyalties form me, I would be cheering for Christian, Matty and the rest of the Denmark squad.
The Ingerland millionaires will be out to get us relegated from August 13 while Thomas and the boys will be out to stop them........Come on Denmark :sorted:
I really don't get this I'm afraid. WHY would you WANT your country to lose? (Assuming England is your country of course).

Club and Country for me - not Club and someone else's country.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

No test of loyalties form me, I would be cheering for Christian, Matty and the rest of the Denmark squad.
The Ingerland millionaires will be out to get us relegated from August 13 while Thomas and the boys will be out to stop them........Come on Denmark :sorted:
100% agree.
I’ll be backing the Bees.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I think it makes a difference if you’re there…. Watching the Bournemouth and Swansea play off games with my best friends and family and a few thousand like minded souls doesn’t compare to watching an England game, on a big screen in a hotel bar with fifty others who literally have no clue about football. The same people screaming for Kane and Sterling to be dropped or substituted at half time. ?

I also struggle to get my head around the fact that a vast majority of those England players will be doing their absolute best, and/or cheating to stop Brentford getting points in six weeks time.
International tournaments throw up so many quanderies…. If you’re a Chelsea fan watching last night…. Havertz, Rudiger and Werner all playing for Germany with Kane, the main man for your deadly rivals playing for England?… work that one out.

I guess I was lucky that I was round for Italia 90, and subsequently Euro 96. Both brilliant tournaments and I loved being an England fan back then, but every tournament since has got less significant for me - although the 2018 World Cup was good.

So, after all that, I think it’s fair to say that the England football team winning Euro 20/21 won’t even register compared to what my wonderful club achieved last season.
You say that now Bob, but I have a sneaky feeling that, should England (hopefully) beat Ukraine Saturday, your interest level might ratchet up a notch or two. Should we then beat Denmark or the Czech Republic in the semis you'll be joining the rest of the nation as the hysteria builds and then, if we win the final, you, I and the rest of the country will be going MENTAL.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

No test of loyalties form me, I would be cheering for Christian, Matty and the rest of the Denmark squad.
The Ingerland millionaires will be out to get us relegated from August 13 while Thomas and the boys will be out to stop them........Come on Denmark :sorted:
I think you might be underestimating Nørgaard and Jensen's personal wealth.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I really don't get this I'm afraid. WHY would you WANT your country to lose? (Assuming England is your country of course).

Club and Country for me - not Club and someone else's country.

It’s incredibly odd.

Christian and Mathias won’t be giving Brentford a second’s thought when they step out in a Denmark shirt, and nor should they…
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

They're not really comparable – promotion to the Premier League (or previously the Premiership or the First Division) is something I've dreamed of for 80% of my life; England winning a round in an international competition is just that. I was more emotionally-invested in the Denmark win, really.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

It would be nice if England win the Euros. Even better if they win the World Cup. But I wouldn't sacrifice the win over Swansea for either. As for beating a poor Germany in the round of 16 ...? Well, I'm not going to complain, but it doesn't even rank with promotion from League 2.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

If England meet Denmark it will be in the semi final. So, suppose Jensen and Norgaard in the starting line up for Denmark, a test of loyalties?
Not really. The evidence so far suggests that they wouldn’t be in the starting XI unless it’s because of injuries. We wouldn’t agree, but the Danes’ Coach seems to think that would be a weaker lineup.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I think you know what I mean.
I do, but I don't get it.

My team (Club) will be in pre-season training

My team (Country) will hopefully be playing and winning a semi-final in a major tournament for the first time in in 55 years!! I don't really care if Hans Christian Andersen is playing for the oppo, I want my team to win.
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I think we can all agree that it wasn’t comparable to Brentford winning promotion, or indeed a good derby win over Fulham or QPR.

But why so many people want to play it down rather than just enjoy it is beyond me. We just beat one of our biggest rivals in the knockout round of a major tournament. Just enjoy it.

When we beat Fulham 4-1 at Craven Cottage no one was bleating on about it being “a poor Fulham team”, which it was…
 

Eng/Ger vs our promotion

I really don't get this I'm afraid. WHY would you WANT your country to lose? (Assuming England is your country of course).

Club and Country for me - not Club and someone else's country.
Quite. If we play Denmark I’d like MJ and CN to play well and without injury in a losing team. I’d be pleased for them as Bees if they did more but be disappointed that it was at England’s expense.
 
Back
Top Bottom