England's Ashes squad

super J

Super J
Joined
4 Feb 2003
Messages
6,841
Reaction score
1,903
Location
Ealing

England's Ashes squad

This was being discussed on Sky Sports today by Gower, Hussain, Botham, etc. Some interesting comments for who should go. If we take 16 then i'd like to see

Strauss(C)
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Morgan

Prior
Kieswetter

Swann

Anderson
Broad
Finn
Onions
Shahzad
Bresnan
 

England's Ashes squad

we must take a back up spinner yardy or rashid or maybe the surrey captain hamiiton brown ? decent bat aswell personally I would drop cook and open with Kieswetter.
 

England's Ashes squad

really impressed with Finn. he has been taking wickets for fun in this series
 

England's Ashes squad

i like finn also but do worryabout the fact we do not have someone with real 90plus pace on there hard tracks. we also need five bowlers in the team not four.
 

England's Ashes squad

we must take a back up spinner yardy or rashid or maybe the surrey captain hamiiton brown ? decent bat aswell personally I would drop cook and open with Kieswetter.

I just don't think we have good enough quality back up spinners to even contemplate putting one in the squad. We must play to our strengths and that is fast bowling. I can't imagine any of the pitches will require two spinners and if Swann got injured then i'd rather play another fast bowler or all rounder.

You could argue that if Kieswetter is in the squad then he can act as reserve batsman but I think Morgan will go.
 

England's Ashes squad

i like finn also but do worryabout the fact we do not have someone with real 90plus pace on there hard tracks. we also need five bowlers in the team not four.

Shazad had that pace. He looked really good to me. I think the main thing England need to concentrate is having a solid batting line up, and for me that includes Ian Bell.
 

England's Ashes squad

bell and cook always struggle against the better teams , play morgan kieswetter but we need to play with five bowlers
 

England's Ashes squad

A lot of water to pass under the bridge before Brisbane. We need a tough series against Pakistan first. Finn is the find & could be in the starting eleven come November. Kieswetter is not good enough behind the sticks yet for Test cricket & is a limited over batsman so Davies should get the nod behind Prior. You need to take two spinners so the question mark is over Onions or Bresnan.
 

England's Ashes squad

A lot of water to pass under the bridge before Brisbane. We need a tough series against Pakistan first. Finn is the find & could be in the starting eleven come November. Kieswetter is not good enough behind the sticks yet for Test cricket & is a limited over batsman so Davies should get the nod behind Prior. You need to take two spinners so the question mark is over Onions or Bresnan.

The fact that Prior has been picked over the last few years instead of Foster or Read shows that England are more interested in a batting keeper than a specialist gloveman. Is Prior that much better a gloveman than Kieswetter? I just think England have made a stance in saying they want a keeper batsman in test cricket so not picking Kieswetter because he isn't a good enough keeper doesn't really make sense.
 

England's Ashes squad

See what happens against Pakistan first. I'll be there at Trent Bridge :cool: :drinker:
 

England's Ashes squad

This was being discussed on Sky Sports today by Gower, Hussain, Botham, etc. Some interesting comments for who should go. If we take 16 then i'd like to see

Strauss(C)
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Morgan

Prior
Kieswetter

Swann

Anderson
Broad
Finn
Onions
Shahzad
Bresnan

My squad isn't looking too bad today is it :D

Bopara may struggle to get in as we only need one spare batsman especially as the reserve keeper will likely be Kieswetter or Davies, batting keepers.

Onions apparently is unlikely to be fit and I don't think Sidebottom's body can handle test cricket anymore. There's definitely a spot open for a young fast bowler, heard quite a bit about Woakes at Warwickshire but haven't seen him play. I'd like to see us take five quicks plus Bresnan. As I said before do we need a second spinner, perhaps at Sydney. Tredwell is the safe option but if we want a second attacking spinner than Monty or Rashid still have a chance.
 

England's Ashes squad

On the plane

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Morgan
Prior
Swann
Anderson
Broad
Finn

Then probably five from the following:

Bopara
Carberry
Lyth
Kieswetter
Davies
Tredwell
Panesar
Rashid
Shahzad
Onions
Sidebottom
Woakes
Simon Jones??
Harmison
 

England's Ashes squad

I can't see us taking more than seven batsmen, particularly as they will probably base an academy squad out there - like they did last time - and with two keepers, Prior plus probably Kieswetter, who can bat at six if needed.
 

England's Ashes squad

I also saw this week they are going to base the A team out there during the winter too.

So players like Carberry, Bopara, the one of Davies and Kieswetter that does not get picked, Rashid, will already be there.

Can see us going with 16 on that basis - the seven batsmen inked in, Prior, Davies, the main four bowlers, Bresnan, Shahzad and Panesar.
 

England's Ashes squad

I also saw this week they are going to base the A team out there during the winter too.

So players like Carberry, Bopara, the one of Davies and Kieswetter that does not get picked, Rashid, will already be there.

Can see us going with 16 on that basis - the seven batsmen inked in, Prior, Davies, the main four bowlers, Bresnan, Shahzad and Panesar.

I really like this idea. :sorted:
 

England's Ashes squad

Apparently the squad willl be announced on the 30th September.

You would think Davies has edged ahead of Kieswetter as reserve keeper. I keep hearing whispers of Chris Tremlett as a possible fast bowling reserve, but that would be rather left field for the usually conservative Strauss and Flower.

If it is 16 then I think it'll be:

Strauss (C)
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Morgan
Prior (WK)
Davies (WK)
Swann
Panesar
Anderson
Broad
Finn
Bresnan
Shahzad
 

England's Ashes squad

Definates

Strauss (C)
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Morgan
Prior
Swann
Anderson
Broad
Finn

Probables

Bresnan
Shahzad

Possibles

Davies/Kieswetter (one of)
Tremlett
Panesar
Yardy
 

England's Ashes squad

Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Collingwood, Morgan, Bell, Prior, Swann, Broad, Anderson and Finn are certs (barring injury).

Reserve keeper close between Davies and Kieswetter - for tests on Ausssie pitches, I think Davies may edge it

Bresnan and Shahzad will probably be the other seamers.

Monty is probably favourite for 2nd spinner, but I'd want someone who can bat a bit as I can only see 2 spinners playing if we go behind and need to play 5 bowlers, in which case Rashid has a better chance
 

England's Ashes squad

I think it'll definitely be Davies not Kieswetter for the Tests. Kieswetter's glove work is not up to it IMO, and Davies has done himself a lot of favours with the way he's batted in the ODIs.
 

England's Ashes squad

Definates

Strauss (C)
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Morgan
Prior
Swann
Anderson
Broad
Finn

Probables

Bresnan
Shahzad

Possibles

Davies/Kieswetter (one of)
Tremlett
Panesar
Yardy

I'd be amazed if Yardy was selected. He does a job in ODI's and 20/20's but wouldn't be a threat as a spinner in tests. His batting is underrated and I think he could bat in the top seven if needed but he's behind a few in the pecking order in that respect.

It's between Monty and Tredwell for the second spinner.
 

England's Ashes squad

no to monty ,rashid for me , but what about tremlett has been fit all season which must be a first for him ,must be a outside chance with his pace and bounce
 

England's Ashes squad

Squad set to be announced tomorrow, 2.30pm, sky sports news.
 

England's Ashes squad

Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Collingwood, Morgan, Bell, Prior, Swann, Broad, Anderson and Finn are certs (barring injury).

Reserve keeper close between Davies and Kieswetter - for tests on Ausssie pitches, I think Davies may edge it

Bresnan and Shahzad will probably be the other seamers.

Monty is probably favourite for 2nd spinner, but I'd want someone who can bat a bit as I can only see 2 spinners playing if we go behind and need to play 5 bowlers, in which case Rashid has a better chance
:imwith: Seems Monty will be in with Bresnan and Shahzad. The performance squad being in oz allows for flexibility.
 

England's Ashes squad

Shahzad misses out in favour of Bresnan and Tremlett. Monty gets the nod, to no-one's surprise, but Rashid doesn't even make the Performance Squad.

I reckon it'll be a close series, as long as we can avoid defeat at the Gabba.
 

England's Ashes squad

I'm a bit disappointed with Bresnan instead of Shahzad, but happy to see Panesar in. Think if we bat well we should have a really strong chance of winning this...
 

England's Ashes squad

Performance squad, Jade Dernbach, do me a ****ing favour !!! Again the favourable counties come to the fore, Gemaal Hussain is twice the player he is
 
Back
Top Bottom