Floodlight upgrade

StamfordBee

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2009
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Location
Waltham St.Lawrence

Floodlight upgrade

I noticed in the Colchester programme that the floodlightlight rating is being upgraded to 550 Lux. Does anyone know what the Lux value was before the upgrade?
 

Floodlight upgrade

I don't, but a little bit of me is going to be thrilled to find out :yes:
 

Floodlight upgrade

I noticed in the Colchester programme that the floodlightlight rating is being upgraded to 550 Lux. Does anyone know what the Lux value was before the upgrade?

:yes: 12.5 Lux just ask FarnhamBee
 

Floodlight upgrade

I didn't buy the prog on Tuesday - when did it say the upgrade was taking place?
 

Floodlight upgrade

Before the upgrade I think it was equivalent to four 60W pearl light bulbs bought in Somerfields in 1995.

.....................screw fixings????..................
 

Floodlight upgrade

I was reading in the Gateshead programme about this. Apparently floodlight bulbs should be 500 odd lux but after time they dim. The League of Wales top rofl clubs have been told they all have to upgarde to 550 lux. The bulbs cost 160 quid each.
 

Floodlight upgrade

Before the upgrade I think it was equivalent to four 60W pearl light bulbs bought in Somerfields in 1995.

1 lux! :D

They are low energy ones so they take a while to get to their full brightness! :eek:
 

Floodlight upgrade

I thought we'd have an answer by now. I am in some distress. The GPG is failing :cry:
 

Floodlight upgrade

Alice was a goldfish.
 

Floodlight upgrade

only one bulb left that needs replacing, it's a difficult one to physically change but we'll get there ! :yes:

I'm sure abee is up for the challenge, after all if dear ol' Percy used to do it...
 

Floodlight upgrade

Still no definite Lux figures though :nono: fans kept in the dark etc etc
 

Floodlight upgrade

and Bagpus was just a saggy old cloth cat. But Emily loved him.

get rid of that silly brook road stand and that would give us at least 20 minutes of extra light in the autumn.

why are they called floodlights anyway?!!?? they should be called darklights or football lights.

:bling:
 

Floodlight upgrade

Didn't they used to be measured in candle power before someone invented lux?
 

Floodlight upgrade

Didn't they used to be measured in candle power before someone invented lux?
The Candela, which replaced candlepower in 1948, is the measurement for the power of light, whereas Lux is a measurement of illumination of light. Think of Candela as the amount of light output, Lumens are the amount received at a point and Lux as light covering a square area; Lumens per square metre. So Lux is the correct measurement for floodlights.

Rather sadly, I originally worked in Optical Metrology...
 

Floodlight upgrade

The Candela, which replaced candlepower in 1948, is the measurement for the power of light, whereas Lux is a measurement of illumination of light. Think of Candela as the amount of light output, Lumens are the amount received at a point and Lux as light covering a square area; Lumens per square metre. So Lux is the correct measurement for floodlights.

Rather sadly, I originally worked in Optical Metrology...

As good as the explanation is,could you please put that explanation into laymans language please.:wave:
 

Floodlight upgrade

The Candela, which replaced candlepower in 1948, is the measurement for the power of light, whereas Lux is a measurement of illumination of light. Think of Candela as the amount of light output, Lumens are the amount received at a point and Lux as light covering a square area; Lumens per square metre. So Lux is the correct measurement for floodlights.

Rather sadly, I originally worked in Optical Metrology...

I never realised candlepower was replaced as long ago as 1948!
Thanks for shedding some light on the subject :sorted:
 
Last edited:

Floodlight upgrade

As good as the explanation is,could you please put that explanation into laymans language please.:wave:
Candela/candlepower is the amount of light coming out of a bulb in a specific direction - it's a measure of output but pretty meaningless in terms of everyday use.
Lux is the amount of light from a bulb that falls onto an defined area at a defined distance; it's a measure of illumination. So, it's much more of a useful measure for determining how a bulb will light a room or a pitch.

Simply, candlepower is how bright it is when you look at it; Lux is how bright it illuminates something else.
 

Floodlight upgrade

Maybe you were thinking of Gaslight, I can remember a house in W4 still using them in the 50’s. :fishing:

My Grandparents house in Hounslow still had gas light in the late 50's.

Really dangerous set up.You first opened the gas tap fixed to the light,struck a match and lit a small cylindrical object, made of something like gauze, called a mantle.
It flamed and then glowed to give light.

Imagine the Health and Safety police of today dealing with that.
 

Floodlight upgrade

Candela/candlepower is the amount of light coming out of a bulb in a specific direction - it's a measure of output but pretty meaningless in terms of everyday use.
Lux is the amount of light from a bulb that falls onto an defined area at a defined distance; it's a measure of illumination. So, it's much more of a useful measure for determining how a bulb will light a room or a pitch.

Simply, candlepower is how bright it is when you look at it; Lux is how bright it illuminates something else.

Thank you for that,which certainly gives a very clear explanation of some very complex information, but also interesting when expained like that. Thanks jlove :sorted:
 

Floodlight upgrade

The Candela, which replaced candlepower in 1948, is the measurement for the power of light, whereas Lux is a measurement of illumination of light. Think of Candela as the amount of light output, Lumens are the amount received at a point and Lux as light covering a square area; Lumens per square metre. So Lux is the correct measurement for floodlights.

Rather sadly, I originally worked in Optical Metrology...

Eye see now!




:sorted:
 
Back
Top Bottom