Focus Groups

Did You Apply To Join A Focus Group?


  • Total voters
    19

Focus Groups

PARTICIPATING FANS:
Representatives from BIAS and other fans not representing any particular group – 8 fans in total.



Ummmmm. Not many fans is it?
 

Focus Groups

PARTICIPATING FANS:
Representatives from BIAS and other fans not representing any particular group – 8 fans in total.



Ummmmm. Not many fans is it?

No it was quite sparse, I assume that was everyone who applied though?
 

Focus Groups

I'm attending the Inclusion and Diversity focus group tomorrow and want to know if anyone has specifics they would like me to raise.

I'm particularly interested in facilities or features at other stadiums or event locations, such as theatres, etc., that are particularly helpful, useful or not particularly useful at all for any type of impairment or obstruction to match day attendance. Plus any charities or organisations that represent specific areas that may be useful to canvas an opinion from.

Sensible points, please!
 

Focus Groups

Likewise tonight is the Heritage and Legacy one,
 

Focus Groups

Likewise tonight is the Heritage and Legacy one,

Is it? Not had a notification or email. Out tonight too....short notice birthday dinner due to the middle one coming back from Aus. Damn it......
 

Focus Groups

Is it? Not had a notification or email. Out tonight too....short notice birthday dinner due to the middle one coming back from Aus. Damn it......

Oh they said they invited you, sh*t sorry.
 

Focus Groups

Oh they said they invited you, sh*t sorry.

Yes, CW did - cheers CW and hobbsy by the way - but, due to my error in not noting the date, I then didn’t have an email confirming time and place. Not to worry.....

I hope any notes can be forwarded?

Would like to hear, from those attending, what’s being thought of and how the move will be recognised from GP and the past featured at LR. Especially what the plans are re photos, of old and new, and if there’s anything planned re the founding fathers of Brentford FC and those original eleven players...... rebus knows what I’ve been doing! :D
 

Focus Groups

I'm attending the Inclusion and Diversity focus group tomorrow and want to know if anyone has specifics they would like me to raise.

I'm particularly interested in facilities or features at other stadiums or event locations, such as theatres, etc., that are particularly helpful, useful or not particularly useful at all for any type of impairment or obstruction to match day attendance. Plus any charities or organisations that represent specific areas that may be useful to canvas an opinion from.

Sensible points, please!

Nothing from anyone, then?
 

Focus Groups

Nothing from anyone, then?

I’ll be there tonight, mainly to listen to what measures are intended for Lionel Road.

Does anyone know how many fans have expressed an interest?
 

Focus Groups

Also, Any reports from last night ?

I'm sure someone will add a full report. I made a few notes but it quickly became quite an open discussion. I do not recall the club specifically suggesting or presenting anything so most of the meeting was knocking ideas around.

I apologise as traffic meant I was late arriving and therefore did not catch the introductions - I recognised a few but cannot recall names.

Generally (in no particular order) and from what I can recall:

Griffin Park
  • Anything at GP that people thought was worth selling off - seats, signs etc. Also discussed whether anything might be taken with us
  • Access to GP footprint after redevelopment - likely this would be public
  • Scope for control of any future contribution to legacy at the development - whatever that may be

New Stadium / Legacy
  • Conscious that history is on-going so any static displays would need to allow room to expand - use of technology to create dynamic displays
  • Use of technology in creating legacy - e.g. video / audio repository - fans, players etc. digitising programmes - possible pay per download
  • Specifically 'Hall of Fame' and how to represent it / expand it going forward
  • Limited space at new stadium for significant 'museum' - one specific idea presented was a detailed model of GP but issue of where to display
  • It was touted that an on-going Heritage Group should be formed
  • Legacy on Concourses - have a look at Barnsley FC - https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/heritage-project/
  • Legacy around Stadium - limited scope as club do not own the surrounding development - only the actual stadium - bricks (existing to move and new) - use of walls around stadium as a community initiative with football / Brentford theme
  • Merchandise to mark the move - Difficulty of shifting products in sufficient numbers always an issue but something specially produced e.g. Mishmash poster

I'm sure there was plenty I missed but hopefully I have caught the basic areas.
 

Focus Groups

I'm sure someone will add a full report. I made a few notes but it quickly became quite an open discussion. I do not recall the club specifically suggesting or presenting anything so most of the meeting was knocking ideas around.

I apologise as traffic meant I was late arriving and therefore did not catch the introductions - I recognised a few but cannot recall names.

Generally (in no particular order) and from what I can recall:

Griffin Park
  • Anything at GP that people thought was worth selling off - seats, signs etc. Also discussed whether anything might be taken with us
  • Access to GP footprint after redevelopment - likely this would be public
  • Scope for control of any future contribution to legacy at the development - whatever that may be

New Stadium / Legacy
  • Conscious that history is on-going so any static displays would need to allow room to expand - use of technology to create dynamic displays
  • Use of technology in creating legacy - e.g. video / audio repository - fans, players etc. digitising programmes - possible pay per download
  • Specifically 'Hall of Fame' and how to represent it / expand it going forward
  • Limited space at new stadium for significant 'museum' - one specific idea presented was a detailed model of GP but issue of where to display
  • It was touted that an on-going Heritage Group should be formed
  • Legacy on Concourses - have a look at Barnsley FC - https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/heritage-project/
  • Legacy around Stadium - limited scope as club do not own the surrounding development - only the actual stadium - bricks (existing to move and new) - use of walls around stadium as a community initiative with football / Brentford theme
  • Merchandise to mark the move - Difficulty of shifting products in sufficient numbers always an issue but something specially produced e.g. Mishmash poster

I'm sure there was plenty I missed but hopefully I have caught the basic areas.

I couldn't make it but, as the Hall of Fame's guardian, I have sent my thoughts to Chris Wickham and Ryan Murrant on its future progress.
 

Focus Groups

I'm sure someone will add a full report. I made a few notes but it quickly became quite an open discussion. I do not recall the club specifically suggesting or presenting anything so most of the meeting was knocking ideas around.

I apologise as traffic meant I was late arriving and therefore did not catch the introductions - I recognised a few but cannot recall names.

Generally (in no particular order) and from what I can recall:

Griffin Park
  • Anything at GP that people thought was worth selling off - seats, signs etc. Also discussed whether anything might be taken with us
  • Access to GP footprint after redevelopment - likely this would be public
  • Scope for control of any future contribution to legacy at the development - whatever that may be

New Stadium / Legacy
  • Conscious that history is on-going so any static displays would need to allow room to expand - use of technology to create dynamic displays
  • Use of technology in creating legacy - e.g. video / audio repository - fans, players etc. digitising programmes - possible pay per download
  • Specifically 'Hall of Fame' and how to represent it / expand it going forward
  • Limited space at new stadium for significant 'museum' - one specific idea presented was a detailed model of GP but issue of where to display
  • It was touted that an on-going Heritage Group should be formed
  • Legacy on Concourses - have a look at Barnsley FC - https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/heritage-project/
  • Legacy around Stadium - limited scope as club do not own the surrounding development - only the actual stadium - bricks (existing to move and new) - use of walls around stadium as a community initiative with football / Brentford theme
  • Merchandise to mark the move - Difficulty of shifting products in sufficient numbers always an issue but something specially produced e.g. Mishmash poster

I'm sure there was plenty I missed but hopefully I have caught the basic areas.

Maybe BFC should go through the consultation meeting minutes for more feedback/ideas and offers to help.

Ticketing and ticketing system needs to reflect the aims of making the West Stand what MB wants it to be. Maybe the WSA should have a separate meeting with BFC on just the West Stand.
 

Focus Groups

Maybe BFC should go through the consultation meeting minutes for more feedback/ideas and offers to help.

Ticketing and ticketing system needs to reflect the aims of making the West Stand what MB wants it to be. Maybe the WSA should have a separate meeting with BFC on just the West Stand.

Sorry Phil part of this refers to the ticketing focus group as I quickly scanned the thread and saw Hobbsy post on ticketing focus group.

There was lots of stuff on legacy and internal fit etc from the Counsultation Meeting which shouldn't be ignored. Was Ron Cooper there?
 

Focus Groups

I couldn't make it but, as the Hall of Fame's guardian, I have sent my thoughts to Chris Wickham and Ryan Murrant on its future progress.

Is the hall of fame limited to players/managers?
(Just wonder if it'd be a nice touch to have people who've made a significant contribution in there - RR/PG etc - don't know if that's a good or bad idea)
 

Focus Groups

There was lots of stuff on legacy and internal fit etc from the Counsultation Meeting which shouldn't be ignored. Was Ron Cooper there?

I believe so - only met him once and I'm not great with faces. Like I said I arrived late so maybe best wait for the 'official' minutes for a list of attendees.
 

Focus Groups

The 'Locations and Atmosphere' group was last night which I attended. The forum was kept fairly open, with a view of 'we'll see what feedback/questions we get and go with the general direction of what's brought up.'

The more people spoke the more apparent it became that people felt very strongly about having an element of unreserved seating at the stadium. The main points of which were that people aren't going to know where is good in a stadium, and while people are getting used to things there needs to be a degree of flexibility. People are also used to it in Ealing Road and it will be a lot easier to bring friends to games if you know they can sit with you.

The response was them err'ing very heavily on the side of caution as to whether it could be done. Whether that's because they didn't want it, or because the just wanted to be cautious (given their first priority is to gain a safety certificate) isn't entirely clear. If they took one thing away from the feeling of the group though, it's that people want unreserved seating and fairly strongly, at least in parts of the stadium. The idea of unreserved sections in blocks also came up, and smaller areas of it within larger areas. An unreserved seating block would reduce capacity slightly also, which was their point of interest. They can't sell parts of the ground as unreserved for some games, but reserved seating for others.

As mentioned in the other thread, the multicoloured seats is being done primary for TV companies, who prefer stadiums to look full. They didn't elaborate on the exact benefits this would bring to BFC though, but it seems they want to make very good relations with TV companies. The seats have already been ordered, so there is no going back on this one...

Prices for the new stadium will be released in May. Season tickets if I heard right will be going on sale from September, however their main objective is to sell the Premium Seating.

There will be a 3D panoramic 'seat view' option on the Stadium website nearer the build, where you can see exactly what the view will be like from any seat in the stadium (you can view from every third seat). They are hoping that people will be able to find the areas of the ground that suit their needs and experiences of Griffin Park so that people are presented with a familiar experience that they're used to. Parts of the ground will effectively be 'mirrored' over there, but if you like the feel of one area of the ground, they're hoping/planning for there to be similar one in the new ground. Albeit maybe not in the same location pitch wise as it would be at Griffin Park.

Standing was talked about, but again their main interest point was 'safety certificate first, rest later'. They said that self policing works, but you can't use that in an official capacity when applying for such things. They say they'll permit it where necessary, and they know how other clubs go about 'advertising' the stating areas, without stating it overtly at the time.
 
Last edited:

Focus Groups

Me and Rose did ask to join the farewell to griffin park group did get one email a long time ago saying thanks for asking to join but have heard nothing since any help with time and date of the next meeting would be helpful
 

Focus Groups

Focus Groups

The 'Locations and Atmosphere' group was last night which I attended. The forum was kept fairly open, with a view of 'we'll see what feedback/questions we get and go with the general direction of what's brought up.'

The more people spoke the more apparent it became that people felt very strongly about having an element of unreserved seating at the stadium. The main points of which were that people aren't going to know where is good in a stadium, and while people are getting used to things there needs to be a degree of flexibility. People are also used to it in Ealing Road and it will be a lot easier to bring friends to games if you know they can sit with you.

The response was them err'ing very heavily on the side of caution as to whether it could be done. Whether that's because they didn't want it, or because the just wanted to be cautious (given their first priority is to gain a safety certificate) isn't entirely clear. If they took one thing away from the feeling of the group though, it's that people want unreserved seating and fairly strongly, at least in parts of the stadium. The idea of unreserved sections in blocks also came up, and smaller areas of it within larger areas. An unreserved seating block would reduce capacity slightly also, which was their point of interest. They can't sell parts of the ground as unreserved for some games, but reserved seating for others.

As mentioned in the other thread, the multicoloured seats is being done primary for TV companies, who prefer stadiums to look full. They didn't elaborate on the exact benefits this would bring to BFC though, but it seems they want to make very good relations with TV companies. The seats have already been ordered, so there is no going back on this one...

Prices for the new stadium will be released in May. Season tickets if I heard right will be going on sale from September, however their main objective is to sell the Premium Seating.

There will be a 3D panoramic 'seat view' option on the Stadium website nearer the build, where you can see exactly what the view will be like from any seat in the stadium (you can view from every third seat). They are hoping that people will be able to find the areas of the ground that suit their needs and experiences of Griffin Park so that people are presented with a familiar experience that they're used to. Parts of the ground will effectively be 'mirrored' over there, but if you like the feel of one area of the ground, they're hoping/planning for there to be similar one in the new ground. Albeit maybe not in the same location pitch wise as it would be at Griffin Park.

Standing was talked about, but again their main interest point was 'safety certificate first, rest later'. They said that self policing works, but you can't use that in an official capacity when applying for such things. They say they'll permit it where necessary, and they know how other clubs go about 'advertising' the stating areas, without stating it overtly at the time.

I also attended. Invipal's notes are very accurate. Think we need to be clear that unallocated seating areas aren’t the same thing as a mandate for standing.
If we are not in the top tier then logically, unreserved seating makes it easier to bring friends along etc. ie. it would help generate new business, something you’d think Kurt / Marketing & Sales would welcome….
The big realisation though was that “consultation” does not mean getting what we ask for and unless many more of us get involved for lobbying for how we want things we’ll end up with a sterile non-Brentford stadium.
Now is the time to join BIAS, Join the West Stand Alliance and email Brentford's engagement manager Ryan Murrant ([email protected])
If you want
- Any unreserved seating areas
- Brentford names instead of North/ South/East/West stands
- Club support for a singing partisan “Royal Oak” end
LOBBY FOR WHAT YOU WANT OR EXPECT NOT TO GET IT
 

Focus Groups

The question of unreserved seating is clearly something to push and, correct, it's not to be muddled up with other things, so there is a clear message to the club. There are operational issues to be addressed before any discussion about marketing or ticketing, though. Which areas of which stands could be realistically unreserved? This will first depend on exits, given that 'unreserved' actually means that, once you're in a stand, there's no control over where you go, so there'll almost certainly be a reduction in capacity and additional stewarding required.

  • How many fans will want to know where their seat is versus how many want to move about? We really don't know, only the "I want..." from some.
  • If we start off unreserved, then there's going to be a point when it's got to stop, assuming continual improvement in attendance. How is that managed?
  • Will the 4,100 capacity of the West Stand be all unreserved or will it be a few top sections?
There's work to do from our side to get a realistic demand on the club.
 

Focus Groups

The question of unreserved seating is clearly something to push and, correct, it's not to be muddled up with other things, so there is a clear message to the club. There are operational issues to be addressed before any discussion about marketing or ticketing, though. Which areas of which stands could be realistically unreserved? This will first depend on exits, given that 'unreserved' actually means that, once you're in a stand, there's no control over where you go, so there'll almost certainly be a reduction in capacity and additional stewarding required.

  • How many fans will want to know where their seat is versus how many want to move about? We really don't know, only the "I want..." from some.
  • If we start off unreserved, then there's going to be a point when it's got to stop, assuming continual improvement in attendance. How is that managed?
  • Will the 4,100 capacity of the West Stand be all unreserved or will it be a few top sections?
There's work to do from our side to get a realistic demand on the club.

Alan Walsh stated the general rule of thumb in licensing is to cut 10% capacity from an unreserved seating area and to increase the stewarding. It was not clear if Alan has seen Bees fans deal with unreserved seating at various away games (I’m not sure if he goes to away games).
I accept it is not realistic, nor the best way to please most fans, to make the whole West Stand unreserved seating. I agree that we fans, BIAS and the West Stand Alliance need to do some research to get an impression of demand in order to let the club know.
If we are not promoted, we can speculate LR will not be sold out (when did we last sell out GP?). Unreserved seating means fans can bring their mates, so is a good marketing and sales tool if we are needing to fill empty seats. It could also add to the atmosphere, which in turn makes LR more attractive to football tourists. I’d imagine the club would review how much of it they’d want on a season by season basis but I’m guessing this, I don’t know. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom