Foreign Coins

JBN

In Training
Joined
23 Apr 2001
Messages
17,313
Reaction score
11
Location
Not in Brook Rd Upper

Foreign Coins

We all have left over foreign currency lying around, ok, most is in coins and some in francs and marks etc.

I've currently got a few dollar bills, about 50 francs and assorted other coinage from abroad.

If, as individuals we went the bank, they would laugh, but if we all pooled the coinage and used a freindly banker (there must be one who uses the board) to keep any charges low and take the coinage, it may make a small sum for BEES UNITED.

Any comments or is it a doppey idea?
 

Foreign Coins

Not so sure about the position on coins at moment, banks were reluctant to take them even when they were legal tender, and the moratorium on encashment ran out on 28th February 2002.

The banks, I believe are still taking coins and giving the converted proceeds to registered charities.

Bring the notes along, I am sure if we 'aggregate' the foreign currency, then someone will take it.
 

Foreign Coins

Nigel Brooks said:
Not so sure about the position on coins at moment, banks were reluctant to take them even when they were legal tender, and the moratorium on encashment ran out on 28th February 2002.

The banks, I believe are still taking coins and giving the converted proceeds to registered charities.

Bring the notes along, I am sure if we 'aggregate' the foreign currency, then someone will take it.

I'll swap Euros for Sterling - coins and notes if that helps ?
 

Foreign Coins

JBN said:

Any comments or is it a doppey idea?

Excellent idea JBN, cheers. The wonders of the net.......someone`s already come forward from the banking industry to offer their services for this :)

Probably easiest if it gets chucked in the buckets as normal and we`ll sort out a separate pot for foreign currency when it`s counted; then get all exchanged at once.

****NB****
Only notes are accepted via this Bees banking source.
Not sure re the best way to deal with coins - any ideas :confused:
 
Last edited:

Foreign Coins

Bee H said:
I'll swap Euros for Sterling - coins and notes if that helps ?

I think the point was that the currency was Francs and Marks etc. not Euros. I've been ringing around this morning but the High Street banks no longer offer an exchange service on 'pre-Euro' currencies.
 

Foreign Coins

Nigel Brooks said:
I think the point was that the currency was Francs and Marks etc. not Euros.

Granted, but my posting was for anyone able to drop Euro coins in to the buckets as a Bureau de Change won't exchange coins - I was just trying to be helpful, that's all !!
 

Foreign Coins

Bee H said:
Granted, but my posting was for anyone able to drop Euro coins in to the buckets as a Bureau de Change won't exchange coins - I was just trying to be helpful, that's all !!

Never doubted it, sorry if I offended in any way.
 
Back
Top Bottom