Formula 1 2012

Formula 1 2012

Also slightly off topic but we have a Mclaren F1 car arriving at my shopping centre in Woking in about 2 hours time. It's going to be in a static position for 4 days allowing people to come and have photos etc taken with it and is then going to be suspended in the middle of the centre from Monday 2nd April through until Monday 30th April. We also have various competitions etc going on with a simulator etc with prizes including a trip to the Mclaren technology centre.

Just thought I'd let you wonderful boys and girls know in case you wanted to come over and have a look. :sorted:
 

Formula 1 2012

Slightly off topic but...

I like F1 but I am not paying for Sky.
I like football but I am not paying for Sky.
I like cricket but I am not paying for Sky.
I like Rugby but I am not paying for Sky.
I like Darts but I am not paying for Sky.
I like Boxing.....

I resent the way that Sky have bought all of our sporting institutions and I refuse to pay vast amounts of money to watch them.

If they keep buying them all, will it become good value?
 

Formula 1 2012

Having a bit of a giggle reading the reports that the Bahrain GP may not go ahead. The BBC have a headline saying that it is in doubt, which goes on to say that teams have been reasured by Bernie that it will go ahead. So a complete load of b***ocks from the BBC.

I'm here at the moment and you can walk the streets safetly and drive around with no problems. The people here are going about there normal every day business, so there is no reason to even think of canceling it.
 

Formula 1 2012

Hamilton's been given a 5 place grid penalty for having a gearbox change as part of a major upgrade from McLaren - I'm impressed by their confidence in the new upgrade!
 

Formula 1 2012

Excellent GP today. Realy pleased for Nico Rosberg. The fight for second place, could have gone about eight ways at one point.

Good drives by Button and Hamilton and thought Webber might take off again. Popping wheelies in an F1 car, is not ideal.
 

Formula 1 2012

Great to see a new winner in Formula 1 again. :)

Fantastic drive from Hamilton to counter a gearbox change penalty.
 

Formula 1 2012

Had a chuckle at Hamiltons comment when he and Jake Humphrey were racing rc cars at Mclaren HQ. Humphreys set the track up and said it wasn't a Tilke design, to which Hamilton replied, Good.
 

Formula 1 2012

I wouldn't know. I watched the better coverage.
 

Formula 1 2012

The last two have been cracking races. Perez nearly winning in Sepang and Rosberg winning in Shanghai. More of this for the season please.
 

Formula 1 2012

The last two have been cracking races. Perez nearly winning in Sepang and Rosberg winning in Shanghai. More of this for the season please.

...you sound like you are writing in to Barry Took on "Points of View !..."
 

Formula 1 2012

I really rate Perez. Wouldn't be surprised to see him driving for one of the top teams with a few seasons experience under his belt. Has been a lot more interesting this year rather than Vettel dominating.
 

Formula 1 2012

4 GPs in and 4 different winners.

A bit of a nightmare for Mclaren and all went off peacfully.
 

Formula 1 2012

4 GPs in and 4 different winners.

A bit of a nightmare for Mclaren and all went off peacfully.

Not exactly peacefully !

In Bernie land of course, there were no problems and they will be back to Bahrain in 2013 whatever happens but the GP was very poorly attended and seems to be just a rich arab families indulgence rather than a popular sport for the Bahranis to enthuse about.
 

Formula 1 2012

I was there the week before. It is safer to walk the streets of Manama than the streets of London. The Bahrainis I spoke to were embarrassed about the past protests.

If they want to play the human rights card and cancel the GP because of the issue, then we should probably be looking to cancel every GP on the calender due to human rights issues.
 
Last edited:

Formula 1 2012

18 years ago today we saw the last driver fatality in F1 history, culminating the worst weekend (IMO) of Formula 1 history.
During Friday qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix, Rubens Barrichello hit the wall hard at the Variante Bassa chicane, breaking his nose and it was truly a horrific crash.
Worse was to come, when Austrian driver Roland Ratzenberger hit the wall during Saturday qualifying at Villeneuve and was killed.
On lap seven of the race, Ayrton Senna crashed into Tamburello and the injuries claimed his life. Marshals found an Austrian flag in the car, which he would have unfurled at the end of the race as a mark of respect.

R.I.P Ayrton
 

Formula 1 2012

18 years ago today we saw the last driver fatality in F1 history, culminating the worst weekend (IMO) of Formula 1 history.
During Friday qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix, Rubens Barrichello hit the wall hard at the Variante Bassa chicane, breaking his nose and it was truly a horrific crash.
Worse was to come, when Austrian driver Roland Ratzenberger hit the wall during Saturday qualifying at Villeneuve and was killed.
On lap seven of the race, Ayrton Senna crashed into Tamburello and the injuries claimed his life. Marshals found an Austrian flag in the car, which he would have unfurled at the end of the race as a mark of respect.

R.I.P Ayrton

He was a master behind the wheel, I always remember the Euro GP at Donnington, he was leagues above anyone else.

I videoed the San marino GP that day and I've never watched it.

It was an awful season, as F1 lost Roland Ratzenberger the day before.

Can't believe it has been 18 yrs.

RIP Ayrton & Roland.
 

Formula 1 2012

Hamilton stripped of pole thanks to his team screwing up. Three races in a row, through factors relating to the team, now. Ridiculous.
 

Formula 1 2012

Button would have beaten him to the first corner anyway :moo:
 

Formula 1 2012

screwing things up again, only themselfs to blame what i dont get is why it takes so long to come up with these decisions, only in f1

I thought it looked dodgy at the time and the news doesn't surprise me but it's a very harsh penalty for Hamilton as he was driving superbly all day.
Would have been better to strip McLaren's points in the Constructors Championship. They're the ones that deserve the punishment.

China - Gearbox.
Bahrain - THREE slow pit stops.
Spain - Not putting enough fuel in.
 

Formula 1 2012

:zzzzz: If it had been Button there would have been no Salford carping
 

Formula 1 2012

The last time a driver was stripped of pole and put onto the back of the grid was one Michael Schumacher.

Race: Monaco 2006
Schumacher "lost control" of his Ferrari at 10mph and blocked the track denying Fernando Alonso pole position. He was joined on the back row by team-mate Felipe Massa.

Incidentally that race saw the first Red Bull (in that guise) podium with David Coulthard finishing third. Fernando Alonso won the race and Juan Pablo Montoya finished second.
The first podium, going back through their previous guises, was also in Monaco where Rubens Barrichello finished second in the wet in 1997. Johnny Herbert picked up the first win at, what remains, one of my favourite races (Nurburgring 1999)
 

Formula 1 2012

It's being reported that Spain will no longer have two races after this season. Barcelona and Valencia are to share it. Good news IMO. The teams test at Barcelona every year and I can't remember many exciting races in it's history. The most memorable moment for me was Hakkinen's engine dying on him on the last lap in 2001. In four years at Valencia, the only interesting thing to happen was Webber proving that Red Bull does give you wings.
 

Formula 1 2012

One of the best Barcelona races - not much of a classic.

Great to see Williams back on top.
 

Formula 1 2012

Very good drive by Maldonado, didn't get flustered and crash out!! Good to see Schumacher back to his cheating best and blaming others. The bloke is a very good driver, he doesn't have to keep ramming other drivers and blaming them, when it is his fault.

5 gps and 5 different winners.
 

Formula 1 2012

Not good scenes in the Williams garage after the race.
 

Formula 1 2012

Thought Hamilton drove a fantastic race. Silenced a lot of his critics.
 

Formula 1 2012

Great race I thought today. Full of incident and a worthy debut victory for Maldonado.

Hamilton is clearly the most naturally gifted driver out there, to finish 8th from the back of the grid is very commendable.

Exciting times ahead!
 

Formula 1 2012

Great race!
Well done to Maldanado apperantly odds of 500/1 to win ?

Bad scenes at the end in Williams garage, anyone know any latest ?
 

Formula 1 2012

Close race but quite dull, not much overtaking, pleased for Webber though. Switched between Sky and BBC and have to say the public broadcasting service beats Sky in pretty much every department, except possibly Brundle's gridwalk...nd maybe Georgie Thompson).
 

Formula 1 2012

Close race but quite dull, not much overtaking, pleased for Webber though. Switched between Sky and BBC and have to say the public broadcasting service beats Sky in pretty much every department, except possibly Brundle's gridwalk...nd maybe Georgie Thompson).

:sorted:
 

Formula 1 2012

A pretty boring Monaco GP........ Hardly any overtaking, nothing new there for Monaco, just poor driving from some drivers to add a little action to the tv viewing. Once you get yourself in front you win! Only car or driver error will see you lose a Monaco GP. :zzzzz:
 

Formula 1 2012

Close race but quite dull, not much overtaking, pleased for Webber though. Switched between Sky and BBC and have to say the public broadcasting service beats Sky in pretty much every department, except possibly Brundle's gridwalk...nd maybe Georgie Thompson).

Rubbish. Sky far far superior in every department. Far more balanced commentators and pundits.

A pretty boring Monaco GP........ Hardly any overtaking, nothing new there for Monaco, just poor driving from some drivers to add a little action to the tv viewing. Once you get yourself in front you win! Only car or driver error will see you lose a Monaco GP. :zzzzz:

But it just goes to show how skilled the leading drivers are that they don't make errors. Driving there is like threading a needle (the Nouvelle chicane and the second part of the swimming pool chicane.
 

Formula 1 2012

Rubbish. Sky far far superior in every department. Far more balanced commentators and pundits.

I would have to disagree. A lot of the pundits and reporters who work for Sky had no interest in the sport before this season and Damon Hill and Anthony Davidson are so dull and boring it frustrates me watching them. Although Jordan is an idiot he is entertaining. The BBC's covergae is always done with a bit of humour while Sky tend to take it all very seriously and why anyone would want to watch Hamiltons or anyone elses on board camera while a race is going on is beyond me.
 

Formula 1 2012

I would have to disagree. A lot of the pundits and reporters who work for Sky had no interest in the sport before this season and Damon Hill and Anthony Davidson are so dull and boring it frustrates me watching them. Although Jordan is an idiot he is entertaining. The BBC's covergae is always done with a bit of humour while Sky tend to take it all very seriously and why anyone would want to watch Hamiltons or anyone elses on board camera while a race is going on is beyond me.
:sorted: much prefer the guy who presents on the BBC and Jordan and Coulthard are good.
Hill is boring.
I do like Blundell tho, anyone see him get pushed into the Red Bull swimming pool lol iPhone was in his pocket at the time.
 

Formula 1 2012

:sorted: much prefer the guy who presents on the BBC and Jordan and Coulthard are good.
Hill is boring.
I do like Blundell tho, anyone see him get pushed into the Red Bull swimming pool lol iPhone was in his pocket at the time.
Brundle?
Also aside from the 'personalities', it's refreshing to have Gary Anderson in the pitlane, someone who knows what they're on about.
 

Formula 1 2012

It was one of the dullest Monaco GPs I've seen in years, to the point that I dozed off and missed 15 laps. The only plus point was a different winner again, even if it was Mark Webber (I'm starting to get the same feelings towards Webber as Salford has for Button ;) )

The BBC v Sky debate is down to personal preference. I find Coulthard and Jordan entertaining. Jordan has been there, seen it, done it and bought World Champions to the game. Coulthard has raced at the top level for many years, you don't manage to do that with a bit of luck and I point blank refuse to put money into Murdochs pocket.
 

Formula 1 2012

It was one of the dullest Monaco GPs I've seen in years, to the point that I dozed off and missed 15 laps. The only plus point was a different winner again, even if it was Mark Webber (I'm starting to get the same feelings towards Webber as Salford has for ;) )

The BBC v Sky debate is down to personal preference. I find Coulthard and Jordan entertaining. Jordan has been there, seen it, done it and bought World Champions to the game. Coulthard has raced at the top level for many years, you don't manage to do that with a bit of luck and I point blank refuse to put money into Murdochs pocket.

I'm a Coulthard fan and I always have been. The 1999/2000 British Grand Prix are still my favourite races I've seen live. The 2002 Monaco GP was also a favourite of mine when he kept an all-conquering Ferrari/Michael Schumacher behind him (Ferrari won all but two races that year). People forget that he helped make Red Bull what it is today in the early years.
Jordan, I can take him or leave him.
The rest, no thanks.

Croft and Brundle have a good partnership. Presenter is good. Hill I like and Herbert won, in my view, one of the last classics.
 

Formula 1 2012

Herbert won, in my view, one of the last classics.

Johnny Herbert is one of my racing heros.

I was at Le Man in 1991 when he won in the Mazda, he was totally knackered as I think he did a double stint to the end of the race and had be lifted out of the car. It was also the year of the thundering mercs. Standing by the side of the Mulsane straight at night and hearing those things coming down the road was something else. Great great scenes.

Its got me grinning from ear to ear just typing this.
 

Formula 1 2012

My main memory of Johnny was his win in the Stewart (now Red Bull) at Nurgburgring in 1999. Plus he's a very likeable person.
 

Formula 1 2012

Plus he's a very likeable person.

:imwith:
I would happily spend time in his company (with Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barrichello and Mika Hakkinen), having a few beers and chatting about their careers.

I would probably have to sign a gagging agreement first though. ;)
 

Formula 1 2012

The Canadian GP is a cracker and today's race was no exception, very well driven indeed Lewis :sorted: and tough s**t Alonso lol

1. Hamilton
2. Grosjean
3. Perez
4. Vettel
5. Alonso

7th different winner in the 7th race :cool:
 

Formula 1 2012

Get in. Winning despite his team screwing him over
 
Back
Top Bottom