Injuries!

Les Beeavinu

Administrator
Joined
5 Aug 2002
Messages
78,869
Reaction score
61,116
Location
Sandhurst

Injuries!

Can anyone remember a worse bout of injuries than we currently have? I can't.
 

Injuries!

2000-01

Far worse.

Pearcey, Boxall, Bryan, and Marshall all out with long-term injuries.
 

Injuries!

We've been pretty lucky for a long time now, we've rarely had more than two players out for long periods.
 

Injuries!

Taking into consideration the size and quality of our squad injury-free anyway, I'd say we are in deep sh*t... The thing that is most damaging to us is that its probably are most influential players out! I'd Expect probably all of em to be starting if fit. This shows you the level of sh*t we are in.:(
 

Injuries!

Taking into consideration the size and quality of our squad injury-free anyway, I'd say we are in deep sh*t... The thing that is most damaging to us is that its probably are most influential players out! I'd Expect probably all of em to be starting if fit. This shows you the level of sh*t we are in.:(


Just about sums it up really.

Apart from one of Cox, Skulason and Pinault they would all be playing, no question.

It is going to be difficult but we have seen that our youngsters can do it, perhaps not consistantly, but they can.

This will help them in the long term.
 

Injuries!

Just about sums it up really.

Apart from one of Cox, Skulason and Pinault they would all be playing, no question.

It is going to be difficult but we have seen that our youngsters can do it, perhaps not consistantly, but they can.

This will help them in the long term.

At least our current boss is prepared to use the kids and doesn't mind sticking them back in the team if they made a mistake the week before.
 

Injuries!

At least our current boss is prepared to use the kids and doesn't mind sticking them back in the team if they made a mistake the week before.

Not that he has much of a choice.

Do we know how long some are out, being optimistic might KOC, Pinault and Griffiths all be available for Yeovil?
 

Injuries!

So whos going down to the training ground tomorrow for a trial?
 

Injuries!

So whos going down to the training ground tomorrow for a trial?

Lol I'm playing 6 aside tonight down at Goals @ Wembley, if I come through that unscathed I might - hope to avoid our injury jinx first as I'll be wearing my Bees top ;)
 

Injuries!

Is there an explanation for all these injuries? I know a lot of it comes down to bad luck and not being able to rest players with slight knocks, but I can't remember the last time our injury situation was this bad.

This isn't an accusation, merely a question: we didn't seem to have many injuries under Allen, and he always made a big deal of Damien Doyle getting them in the swimming pool the day after a game etc. The warm up on match days also seemed very organised. Contrast that to last night's warm up at Millwall (I got there about 7.20pm) which seemed to be players booting balls to each other and Clyde Wijnhard thumping a ball into an empty net.

What I'm getting at is this: are the injuries bad luck, or bad preparation?

(BTW I say this as a huge LR fan still loving the fact we have a manager who wants to play decent football; I'm not an expert in sports science and wondered if anyone knew more about this kind of thing)
 

Injuries!

2000-01

Far worse.

Pearcey, Boxall, Bryan, and Marshall all out with long-term injuries.


WIth Pearcey & Bryan bench warmers in the main. Don't think so. :wave:
 

Injuries!

Is there an explanation for all these injuries? I know a lot of it comes down to bad luck and not being able to rest players with slight knocks, but I can't remember the last time our injury situation was this bad.

This isn't an accusation, merely a question: we didn't seem to have many injuries under Allen, and he always made a big deal of Damien Doyle getting them in the swimming pool the day after a game etc. The warm up on match days also seemed very organised. Contrast that to last night's warm up at Millwall (I got there about 7.20pm) which seemed to be players booting balls to each other and Clyde Wijnhard thumping a ball into an empty net.

What I'm getting at is this: are the injuries bad luck, or bad preparation?

(BTW I say this as a huge LR fan still loving the fact we have a manager who wants to play decent football; I'm not an expert in sports science and wondered if anyone knew more about this kind of thing)


You are joking? We had loads of injuries. Your mind is playing games. :wave:
 

Injuries!

Is there an explanation for all these injuries? I know a lot of it comes down to bad luck and not being able to rest players with slight knocks, but I can't remember the last time our injury situation was this bad.

This isn't an accusation, merely a question: we didn't seem to have many injuries under Allen, and he always made a big deal of Damien Doyle getting them in the swimming pool the day after a game etc. The warm up on match days also seemed very organised. Contrast that to last night's warm up at Millwall (I got there about 7.20pm) which seemed to be players booting balls to each other and Clyde Wijnhard thumping a ball into an empty net.

What I'm getting at is this: are the injuries bad luck, or bad preparation?

(BTW I say this as a huge LR fan still loving the fact we have a manager who wants to play decent football; I'm not an expert in sports science and wondered if anyone knew more about this kind of thing)



just ask Owusu what he thinks of Damian Doyle
 

Injuries!

What I'm getting at is this: are the injuries bad luck, or bad preparation?

Skulason - Hamstring - May be not ready to come back
Pinault - Ankle - Last year's injury?
Frampton - Ankle - Could happen to anyone
Owusu - Groin playing for someone else - Mis-diagnosed, wrong treatment?
Griffiths - Broken nose - goes with the territory
Cox - Aggravated old injury apparantly
Rhodes - Dunno what's up
O'Connor - Back soon - always getting knocks - always misses a few

No conspiracies there I reckon.
 

Injuries!

i think its just bad luck............ what physio can predict a broken leg or broken nose. what physio can stop players damaging ankle ligaments. what physio can stop players from twisting and turning their ankles. its just bad luck. nothing to do with physio's or preperation.
 

Injuries!

2000-01

Far worse.

Pearcey, Boxall, Bryan, and Marshall all out with long-term injuries.

All of those were 2nd choice though apart from maybe Boxall.
We had Powell, Ingamarsson at centre back, sometimes Mahon.
Oli Gotskallson/Paul Smith in goal
Michael Dobson right back.

Bryan never really became a regular starter and seemed to be coming on when he got injured.

Bad injuries yes, but not to key players like now. I think now is far worse.

If we had long term injuries to Osbourne, Charles, Masters and Willock which is comparable, there wouldn't be too much to worry about really?
 

Injuries!

All of those were 2nd choice though apart from maybe Boxall.
We had Powell, Ingamarsson at centre back, sometimes Mahon.
Oli Gotskallson/Paul Smith in goal
Michael Dobson right back.

Bryan never really became a regular starter and seemed to be coming on when he got injured.

Bad injuries yes, but not to key players like now. I think now is far worse.

If we had long term injuries to Osbourne, Charles, Masters and Willock which is comparable, there wouldn't be too much to worry about really?


Ingamarson was converted to centre half because of Marshalls injury. Had Marshall been fit, Ivar may still be plying his trade as a low level midfield player. :wave:
 

Injuries!

Is there an explanation for all these injuries? I know a lot of it comes down to bad luck and not being able to rest players with slight knocks, but I can't remember the last time our injury situation was this bad.

This isn't an accusation, merely a question: we didn't seem to have many injuries under Allen, and he always made a big deal of Damien Doyle getting them in the swimming pool the day after a game etc. The warm up on match days also seemed very organised. Contrast that to last night's warm up at Millwall (I got there about 7.20pm) which seemed to be players booting balls to each other and Clyde Wijnhard thumping a ball into an empty net.

What I'm getting at is this: are the injuries bad luck, or bad preparation?

(BTW I say this as a huge LR fan still loving the fact we have a manager who wants to play decent football; I'm not an expert in sports science and wondered if anyone knew more about this kind of thing)

I think the current injuries are just bad luck. Muscel strains, hamstrings, etc are down to bad preparation (ie poor warm up routines). Fractures twisted kness and ankles and broken noses such as our lads have suffered cannot be legislated for. However the level of treatment often depends on the skill of the physios and of course (ask Lloydie) correct diagnosis.
 

Injuries!

Ingamarson was converted to centre half because of Marshalls injury. Had Marshall been fit, Ivar may still be plying his trade as a low level midfield player. :wave:

:yes:

If I remember rightly we played a back 3 most of 00-01 with Powell, Mahon and Theobold, when Marshall was injured.

Inigimarsson generally played in midfield until Coppell came in and converted him to a centre back.
 

Injuries!

All of those were 2nd choice though apart from maybe Boxall.
We had Powell, Ingamarsson at centre back, sometimes Mahon.
Oli Gotskallson/Paul Smith in goal
Michael Dobson right back.
Boxall was definitely first choice. I don't believe Dobbo had even made his debut when Box did his cruciate at Luton. Noades didn't fancy Dobbo anyway, so the immediate replacement for Boxall was Jason Crowe (on loan from Portsmouth). Also Paul Smith didn't make his debut until much later. Others had faulted you on Ivar. I think you're mixing up your seasons!
 

Injuries!

I think I'd rather have players being given sufficient time to recover from injuries than the "patch 'em up and get out there to play" philosophy that we may have suffered from in more recent times. That's not so say that sometimes that is not an understandable way to go, but I do think that some players were the victims of that approach in the past.
 

Injuries!

:yes:

If I remember rightly we played a back 3 most of 00-01 with Powell, Mahon and Theobold, when Marshall was injured.

Inigimarsson generally played in midfield until Coppell came in and converted him to a centre back.
You're usually right but I don't remember Theobald starting that many games
 

Injuries!

In proportion to squad size and the importance of the players out its as bad as I can remember.

Quite frankly if we can keep a mid table position until the squad gets back to approaching full fitness LR would have done brilliant in a "great escape" kinda way...

Wasn't it 68ish when we had about 15 players for the whole season ( youth team had been disbanded I think)... I guess if you had a hamstring or something you just got shoved out onto the wing and told to get on with it.....or are modern players just pussies??
 

Injuries!

Well its like that guy years and years ago who couldnt be subbed for some reason and he had a very bad head injury so he stayed on and scored a goal with his head !
 

Injuries!

I've never had a broken nose myself, but... it's no biggy is it? 1 week out?
 

Injuries!

:computer: don't argue stats with Chapman or WEB :thetruth:
 

Injuries!

I think I'd rather have players being given sufficient time to recover from injuries than the "patch 'em up and get out there to play" philosophy that we may have suffered from in more recent times. That's not so say that sometimes that is not an understandable way to go, but I do think that some players were the victims of that approach in the past.

With hindsight, Hargreaves & Talbot would probably have signed any petition you started at the time...
 

Injuries!

Might depend on how much value Griffiths puts on his looks? He may not fancy ending up looking like Steve Bruce.

I remember seeing a game earlier this season where Steve Bruce was in the stands watching his son, Alex (can't remember who he's with now). There was a clash of heads leaving Alex with his nose all over the place and blood pouring out - the camera then cut to Steve, laughing his head off. Probably would be the first time anyone could say his son looks like dad
 

Injuries!

In proportion to squad size and the importance of the players out its as bad as I can remember.

Quite frankly if we can keep a mid table position until the squad gets back to approaching full fitness LR would have done brilliant in a "great escape" kinda way...

Wasn't it 68ish when we had about 15 players for the whole season ( youth team had been disbanded I think)... I guess if you had a hamstring or something you just got shoved out onto the wing and told to get on with it.....or are modern players just pussies??

The team that got promoted under Frank Blunstone in the early 70s only had a squad of 14-15. Admittedly there was only one sub in those days, but players must have played on with injuries that would sideline someone now. I'm not saying that was a good thing and have seen reports of former players crippled because they had to play on through injuries. I wonder if Michael Dobson was a recent victim of it
 

Injuries!

Lets try and be positive!..all these injuries mean the young players getting valuable experience and a real chance to see if they can cut it at this level.Obviously ,ideally,you wouldnt play so many at the same time but i am sure 1 or 2 of them will become regulars in the future.As long as stay up this season,i will be happy
 

Injuries!

Got this from a mate of a mate... probably bullshit. :sad:

Adam Griffiths says that morale is rock bottom at Brentford - they were trained too hard during pre-season and now they're all picking up niggling injuries and are knackered. True fact, apparently.
 

Injuries!

On that basis Brooker must think he looks like Kate Moss :fishing:
 
Back
Top Bottom