IPL 2011

malvernbee

Active member
Joined
13 Feb 2005
Messages
2,358
Reaction score
141

IPL 2011

After all the euphoria of India winning the WC. The IPL is back, Bigger & more glitzy then ever. Madras are doing well so far against Calcutta (Sorry all you modern folk)). Do we have any favouritism for any teams on the gpg.
 

IPL 2011

All on ITV 4.
Watched Rajasthan Royals V Kolkata Knight Riders earlier.
Gambhir & Kallis on form; Kolkata won by 9 wickets.
:banana:
 

IPL 2011

Malinga claimed to be too injured to play for his country against England while playing in the IPL. No surprise he retired from Tests after that one.
 

IPL 2011

Valthaty has proven to be the star of the IPL so far, even though you'd have probably needed to be a family member to have heard of him before.

As for teams to support, as I have no connections with India the most obvious choices to me are the Knight Riders for the 80s TV vibe or the Super Kings as they were the brand of cigarette by dad used to smoke.
 

IPL 2011

Indian Bee will know better than me on this for sure but I think a lot of Indian fans want certain players to do well, no matter what team they play for, despite supporting a certain team. I remember a former team-mate of mine saying he wanted Chennai to win last years final but also wanted Tendulkar to do well. Can Indian Bee or others who have better experience of India than I do confirm to what extent this is the case. It could well just be Tendulkar but I don't know if it would include Yuvraj, Gambhir, Sehwag etc.

Personally I don't have a team. I want certain players (Gilchrist, the English players, Kallis, Sangakarra, and others) to do well. I don't particularly care who wins.
 
Last edited:

IPL 2011

The IPL is ruining cricket.

In 10 years tests will be full of who?

Malinga and Tait are prime examples.

Something needs to be done. I.e country comes first.
 

IPL 2011

The IPL is ruining cricket.

In 10 years tests will be full of who?

Malinga and Tait are prime examples.

Something needs to be done. I.e country comes first.

Disagree for every Pollard, Tait and Malinga etc there are plenty of players who still prefer test cricket.

You just have to look at the likes of Vetorri, Ponting and Tendulkar who are keen to extend their test careers and not their one day futures (although I believe Tendulkar is still playing IPL and possibly Vettori, must be honest I don't watch it as I think it is a bit too commerical. The last two in particular are big name players and them sticking up for tests will have an effect on peoples view. Furthermore as long as the Ashes is the most lucrative event (in terms of ticket revenue) then test cricket will always survive.

In the case of Malinga and Tait, both have claimed cases of stress injuries caused by playing test cricket. Now it might be the case that there needs to be less cricket, but I think realistically it is the 50 over game.

It could also be argued that players such as Tait and Pollard (in particular the bloke cannot build an innings and can't bowl anything other then medium pacers) haven't exactly set the world alight at International level and are not a tremendous loss to test cricket.
 

IPL 2011

Disagree for every Pollard, Tait and Malinga etc there are plenty of players who still prefer test cricket.

You just have to look at the likes of Vetorri, Ponting and Tendulkar who are keen to extend their test careers and not their one day futures (although I believe Tendulkar is still playing IPL and possibly Vettori, must be honest I don't watch it as I think it is a bit too commerical. The last two in particular are big name players and them sticking up for tests will have an effect on peoples view. Furthermore as long as the Ashes is the most lucrative event (in terms of ticket revenue) then test cricket will always survive.

In the case of Malinga and Tait, both have claimed cases of stress injuries caused by playing test cricket. Now it might be the case that there needs to be less cricket, but I think realistically it is the 50 over game.

It could also be argued that players such as Tait and Pollard (in particular the bloke cannot build an innings and can't bowl anything other then medium pacers) haven't exactly set the world alight at International level and are not a tremendous loss to test cricket.

Compare two Aussie cricketers who only play T20 cricket:

Shaun Tait (28)

Tests: 3 (HS 8, BBI 3/97)
ODI: 28 (HS 11, BBI 4/39)
First Class : 50 (HS 68, BBI 7/29)
List A: 91 (HS 22*, BBI 8/43)

Adam Gilchrist (39)

Tests: 96 (HS 204* C/S 379/37)
ODI: 287 (HS 172 C/S 417/55)
 

IPL 2011

Compare two Aussie cricketers who only play T20 cricket:

Shaun Tait (28)

Tests: 3 (HS 8, BBI 3/97)
ODI: 28 (HS 11, BBI 4/39)
First Class : 50 (HS 68, BBI 7/29)
List A: 91 (HS 22*, BBI 8/43)

Adam Gilchrist (39)

Tests: 96 (HS 204* C/S 379/37)
ODI: 287 (HS 172 C/S 417/55)

I don't get what this proves? Two completly different players in every respect, who happen to both be Australian and now only play Twenty Twenty cricket. One's a bit older and retired at the top and the other had issues over the schedule.

Some people can't hack the demands of the international schedule and Tait appears to be one of them. I'm not going to judge him on a situation I know very little about as he could have personal problems or more likely a re-occuring injury which is made worse by the demands of five day cricket. There is no open or shut case, and test cricket is a lot more demanding on bowlers then batsman or wicket keepers. Before the IPL there were players like Shane Bond who's body couldn't hack Test Cricket but played the one day games, and Malinga and Tait won't be the last either.

I fail to see what relevance the number of games they played in different formats has to do with anything or the best bowling/hs have anything to do with the equation.
 

IPL 2011

I don't get what this proves? Two completly different players in every respect, who happen to both be Australian and now only play Twenty Twenty cricket. One's a bit older and retired at the top and the other had issues over the schedule.

Some people can't hack the demands of the international schedule and Tait appears to be one of them. I'm not going to judge him on a situation I know very little about as he could have personal problems or more likely a re-occuring injury which is made worse by the demands of five day cricket. There is no open or shut case, and test cricket is a lot more demanding on bowlers then batsman or wicket keepers. Before the IPL there were players like Shane Bond who's body couldn't hack Test Cricket but played the one day games, and Malinga and Tait won't be the last either.

I fail to see what relevance the number of games they played in different formats has to do with anything or the best bowling/hs have anything to do with the equation.

:imwith: unfortunately, Salford Bee only speaks in numbers :sad: us idiots have to work out what he's trying to say :scratch:
 

IPL 2011

I don't get what this proves? Two completly different players in every respect, who happen to both be Australian and now only play Twenty Twenty cricket. One's a bit older and retired at the top and the other had issues over the schedule.

Some people can't hack the demands of the international schedule and Tait appears to be one of them. I'm not going to judge him on a situation I know very little about as he could have personal problems or more likely a re-occuring injury which is made worse by the demands of five day cricket. There is no open or shut case, and test cricket is a lot more demanding on bowlers then batsman or wicket keepers. Before the IPL there were players like Shane Bond who's body couldn't hack Test Cricket but played the one day games, and Malinga and Tait won't be the last either.

I fail to see what relevance the number of games they played in different formats has to do with anything or the best bowling/hs have anything to do with the equation.

Tait gave it all away after three tests. The lure of playing for Australia in internationals wasn't there. I doubt Tait's body would hurt bowling ten overs now and again. He seems to only be in it for the money. The figures were also suggesting Tait couldn't cut it at international level anyway. I don't think he had the commitment. As for Gilchrist, he is a legend IMO.
 

IPL 2011

Kochi are 44-6, having been 11-6!

they were 2 for 4 mate in the second over!!
:owusu:

cannot get into it at all with the commentators shouting & screaming to try and pretend anyone cares & camera shots of some car every over or two. rubbish.

:love2:
 

IPL 2011

This game of rounders can never compare with the thrill of a five day test vs The Convicts
 

IPL 2011

they were 2 for 4 mate in the second over!!
:owusu:

cannot get into it at all with the commentators shouting & screaming to try and pretend anyone cares & camera shots of some car every over or two. rubbish.

:love2:

Also 6-5. The managed to get a semi respectable 74ao.
 

IPL 2011

Kolkata Knight Riders are playing Delhi Daredevils later...
Got to love a bit of IPL!!!
 

IPL 2011

Indian Bee will know better than me on this for sure but I think a lot of Indian fans want certain players to do well, no matter what team they play for, despite supporting a certain team. I remember a former team-mate of mine saying he wanted Chennai to win last years final but also wanted Tendulkar to do well. Can Indian Bee or others who have better experience of India than I do confirm to what extent this is the case. It could well just be Tendulkar but I don't know if it would include Yuvraj, Gambhir, Sehwag etc.

Personally I don't have a team. I want certain players (Gilchrist, the English players, Kallis, Sangakarra, and others) to do well. I don't particularly care who wins.

I am currently in Mumbai at the moment and have already seen a few games ! Your right what you say that Indian fans want certain players to do well. Yuvraj is Captain of the new franchise Pune Warriors and after his performances in the World Cup he can do no wrong in many eyes - Sachin gets a great response everywhere he plays. However, its the likes of Pollard that is also big news here - was truly utterly found out at the WC but in the IPL he is a top drawer.

I think however this year it has kinda lost interest a bit especially after the 6 week world cup here, but still big business and the amount of money involved it's pretty much in your face everywhere on the TV. For most players however, it's about earning money!

I bumped into Graeme Smith partying the night away on Monday night at the exclusive Chinahouse club in Mumbai - had a chat to him but didn't mentioned the 'C' word, and even last night bumped into Doug Bollinger at another club Trilogy - interesting hairstyle he has got :-)

Players enjoy it because they earn good money, lots of after parties and no real pressure involved.
 
Back
Top Bottom