Jackie Graham

FulhamG

INVALID EMAIL
Joined
8 Sep 2006
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Jackie Graham

Just wondered if anyone on this board watched Jackie Graham and could tell me what he was like when he was at Brentford. i see a bit through work and he seems a top bloke
 

Jackie Graham

Hero

A real gentleman, club captain and fine player.
Joined from Greenock Morton I think
 

Jackie Graham

I thought so, everyone who knows him says he was a top man and a great footballer....big friends with Walter Smith back in his days in Scotland i think
 

Jackie Graham

He was a bit before my time (I think I was about 12) but certainly all my family considered him to be Mr Brentford.
 

Jackie Graham

i was young, so not sure.......i think he played center mid... was a right little terrier....:)
 

Jackie Graham

A real gentleman, club captain and fine player.
Joined from Greenock Morton I think


Joined from Guildford City....................i think !?

I'm with the above poster too, top player, should of gone higher up the league. Get Brentford Legend's Vol.2 book from Dave Lane at Beesotted. there's a nice bit about him in there.
 

Jackie Graham

What a player. He was a hard little terrier who played in centre midfield and grafted away all game. He also used the ball well and specialised in scoring direct from corner kicks.

Does anyone also remember the fantastic free kick routine he used to orchestrate when he, Cross and Docherty would pretend to argue and then one of them would shoot.

Also an excellent captain.

All in all a bloddy marvel!
 

Jackie Graham

Does anyone also remember the fantastic free kick routine he used to orchestrate when he, Cross and Docherty would pretend to argue and then one of them would shoot.

Quality. Would have given anything to see these Bees in action. :cry:
 

Jackie Graham

A real footballer and a proper captain. Could pass, tackle, motivate and settle scores (out of the ref's eyeline).
Was magnificent in the Div 4 promotion season.
 

Jackie Graham

Quality. Would have given anything to see these Bees in action. :cry:

i did !!!

memories......memories......Roger Cross boyhood hero !!

Jackie Graham, was a great 'clubman'. Then Brentford did the sh*te on him. Can't remember who, but i think it was Fred Callaghan?
 

Jackie Graham

He started his career with Morton then Dundee Utd, Guildford and Brentford.

Over eight years with us he made 374 appearences scoring 38 goals.

Left us for Addlestone.
 

Jackie Graham

Definately joined from Guildford City.
Had the great pleasure to watch him at Joseph's Road for a season before signing for the Bees.

The main reason I decided to support Brentford after Guildford City folded. :sorted:
 

Jackie Graham

glad he's remembered so fondly....and also great to hear Roger Cross memories being a Fulham fan....and on that note...how is Leroy settling in?
 

Jackie Graham

A great player and captain for the club - always gave everything. One of those players the fans just love to love, with his work-rate and attitude.
 

Jackie Graham

Just to endorse everything said about JG.A terrific player and a mystery to me at the time as to why he was playing at our level. Capable of much better.
 

Jackie Graham

Typical Jackie Graham pic from 1975 v's Chester........
'he's coming to get you !' or, as in panto, 'He's behind you !'

picture taken from the Positively Brentford book
(hope i haven't infringed on copyrights !)
 

Jackie Graham

Great player.
Can remember going round on the Wembley tour as a Junior Bee with him many, many years ago.
Used to see him a lot when I was a kid as his wife worked with my Mum...but was always speechless when I met him!!

Was strange watching him play for Addlestone in the FA Cup against us in a 2-2 draw.

Top fella.
 

Jackie Graham

Jackie Graham...a great professional and top man...indeed he did join us from Guildford City...he also used to take my Sunday side for midweek training....and certainly knew how to put us through it...seen more than one player throwing up during sessions with Jackie boy.....a very hard player as well as being a very gifted one.One of my all time Bees favourites. :sorted::sorted:
 

Jackie Graham

Jackie Graham was my hero, always had time to talk to my brothers and me.
great memories:cool:
 

Jackie Graham

Just wondered if anyone on this board watched Jackie Graham and could tell me what he was like when he was at Brentford. i see a bit through work and he seems a top bloke

Just finished an article on him for the forthcoming Issue of Thorne in the Side..
 

Jackie Graham

Does anyone also remember the fantastic free kick routine he used to orchestrate when he, Cross and Docherty would pretend to argue and then one of them would shoot.


:sorted: One of my earliest memories of GP was this routine - bring it back i say!
 

Jackie Graham

What a player. He was a hard little terrier who played in centre midfield and grafted away all game. He also used the ball well and specialised in scoring direct from corner kicks.

Does anyone also remember the fantastic free kick routine he used to orchestrate when he, Cross and Docherty would pretend to argue and then one of them would shoot.

Also an excellent captain.

All in all a bloddy marvel!

Agree NLB, I would go as far to say that Jackie Graham was probably one of our best midfield players. Certainly in my time of supporting the club. He was a class act, when Graham Taylor was the watford manager he said Graham was the best midfield player inthe division.
 

Jackie Graham

I'm sure I remember him working on the building of the estate off Ealing Road during the close season one year.

Was a tremendous player for us, worked hard but always seemed to have the ball & do something positive with it. Very sad when he left.
 

Jackie Graham

Just found this thread and would endorse all that has been said. I loved his banana corners and when I tell the younger members of my family about those fantastic and fun days, they don't believe me. I think I am priviledged to have supported the Bees during those days.
 

Jackie Graham

..............is my memory correct, in that he joined us from Guildford after they had dumped us out of the cup, in a replay...?

..........I seem to recall that we were all incredibly disappointed and shocked that we couldn't beat them in two games let alone one....was that our first ever defeat in the cup to non-league opposition............?
 

Jackie Graham

Seeing this thread had me re-reading Jackie Graham's section in Cult Bees & Legends (Volume Two). A class act, on and off the pitch, was and is our Jackie. It would be lovely to see him at Griffin Park again soon :sorted:
 

Jackie Graham

..............is my memory correct, in that he joined us from Guildford after they had dumped us out of the cup, in a replay...?

..........I seem to recall that we were all incredibly disappointed and shocked that we couldn't beat them in two games let alone one....was that our first ever defeat in the cup to non-league opposition............?

yes, 1969
 

Jackie Graham

Seth Vafiadis and Peter Vasper - the Guildford left winger and Keeper and a big ox up front - Tony Burge. They had an ex Oreint Stan Charlton and ex Pompey defender Phil Gunter.

Cliff myers scored in all 3 games for us and we were going out when the first game was abandoned at 1-2. I remember walking back to Kew Bridge in the snow to catch the 27 bus.
 

Jackie Graham

Jackie Graham. Top player. Captain during Bill Dodgin's era. the sort of player you'd want on your team and never disappointed. i remember once he was subd. and refused to come off. I bet he was horrible to play against. Excellent!
 

Jackie Graham

Seth Vafiadis and Peter Vasper - the Guildford left winger and Keeper and a big ox up front - Tony Burge. They had an ex Oreint Stan Charlton and ex Pompey defender Phil Gunter.

Cliff myers scored in all 3 games for us and we were going out when the first game was abandoned at 1-2. I remember walking back to Kew Bridge in the snow to catch the 27 bus.

NLB The big ox you refer to was Les Brown the ex Wimbledon and England amateur international. The opposite wing to Seth Vafiadis featured John Hudson, younger brother of Alan. Peter Vasper went on to play for Norwich. Jackie Graham wasn't a City player at that time although he did play with Tony Burge.

As a ex - Guildford City supporter, the name Stan Charlton doesn't ring any bells with me. The only ex Orient defender I can remember was Sid Bishop.
 

Jackie Graham

An excellent player over a number of seasons for us, though the final decision to release him was probably right at the time. Remember his corners and the argument free kick to which others have referred.

I think the time he - and someone else (Bence?) - refused to come off was when under Dodgin we were managing our first win in about 10 games; must have been in 76-77

I also seem to remember (early 70s) a Jackie Graham chant using the guitar intro to Deep Purple's "Black Night" - not enough heavy-metal based chants these days!
 

Jackie Graham

NLB The big ox you refer to was Les Brown the ex Wimbledon and England amateur international. The opposite wing to Seth Vafiadis featured John Hudson, younger brother of Alan. Peter Vasper went on to play for Norwich. Jackie Graham wasn't a City player at that time although he did play with Tony Burge.

As a ex - Guildford City supporter, the name Stan Charlton doesn't ring any bells with me. The only ex Orient defender I can remember was Sid Bishop.


You are right about Bishop. I think Gunter was a lay preacher or something!
 

Jackie Graham

As previously said, one of the good'uns. I saw him play about 100 games, although I was obviously only 18 months old at the time......;)
 

Jackie Graham

You are right about Bishop. I think Gunter was a lay preacher or something!

That was my understanding too. Sadly I believe Phil passed away a couple of years ago.

I'm impressed by your knowledge of former Guildford players. Seth Vafiadis was a favourite of mine in the 60's along with Darby Watts.

Guildford Council are holding an exhibition about the club at the end of this month together with a lecture on 7th October. Much to my annoyance this conflicts with a home match v Bristol but shall be in New Road as per usual :wave:
 

Jackie Graham

That was my understanding too. Sadly I believe Phil passed away a couple of years ago.

I'm impressed by your knowledge of former Guildford players. Seth Vafiadis was a favourite of mine in the 60's along with Darby Watts.

Guildford Council are holding an exhibition about the club at the end of this month together with a lecture on 7th October. Much to my annoyance this conflicts with a home match v Bristol but shall be in New Road as per usual :wave:

I was just a kid but those games v Guldford have always stuck in my mind because of the snow and how cold and wet I got... and also how much better than us Guildofrd were on the day
 

Jackie Graham

I was just a kid but those games v Guldford have always stuck in my mind because of the snow and how cold and wet I got... and also how much better than us Guildofrd were on the day


I just hope Brentford don't go the same way as Guildford :nono:
 

Jackie Graham

Great player, great captain and one of my all time heroes.

Remeber the free kick routine along with the in swinging corners, think he scored twice from them.

Fave memory and I've mentioned on another thread was him knocking a Port Vale player out who stood in our defensive wall.
He quickly distanced himself while the Vale players surrounded the ref and the whole of GP held it's breath waiting to see whether the ref had spotted it. He hadn't and Jackie stayed on.

In those days you might see 1 or 2 sending offs a season, Jackie wasn't dirty or a thug, just hard and took it as well as dished it out but suspect he wouldn't finish many games with the current laws.

Know he worked on site and also at Rymans in Feltham precinct part time while still playing for us all those years ago.
 

Jackie Graham

Great hero of mine. I worked as a barman whilst stiil at school (under age but you could get away with it then) and he walked in and i was speechless. Eventaually I stammered 'you're Jackie Graham' and he replied 'I know'. I felt a right prat
 

Jackie Graham

Just like to agree with all the positive things said in this thread about Jackie .He was a terrific player for us.
One of only two complimentary tickets I ever received at Brentford matches was supplied by a mate of his who had come down from Scotland to attend the away game at Barrow on a monday night.I met him in the social club before the game.I remember that week well our next game was away to Workington the following saturday.
 

Jackie Graham

Seth Vafiadis and Peter Vasper - the Guildford left winger and Keeper and a big ox up front - Tony Burge. They had an ex Oreint Stan Charlton and ex Pompey defender Phil Gunter.

Cliff myers scored in all 3 games for us and we were going out when the first game was abandoned at 1-2. I remember walking back to Kew Bridge in the snow to catch the 27 bus.

Vafiadis ran us ragged in the first game at GP and we had just pulled it back to 1-2 when the ref abandoned the game. Vafiadis ended up at Hillingdon Borough which was usually the elephant's graveyard for ex-BFC players. Docherty got a late equaliser in the replay which finished 2-2 then we lost 2-1at Guildford when Brown(?) was miles offside. The famous argument sketch was performed hundreds of times by us but I only remember it working once in a 1-1 home draw with Watford which I think was in our relegation season of 72-3.
 

Jackie Graham

I'm sorry WOB, wearing my Guildford City supporter hat I cannot accept Les Brown was miles offside when he headed the winner.

I know that it's just that the rain and the fact that Brown leapt like a salmon that evening to head the winner over a pedestrian defence makes it difficult to accept. lol

Wearing my Bees hat, this season we would have equalised in the 90th min and won on penalties. :wave:
 

Jackie Graham

Just wondered if anyone on this board watched Jackie Graham and could tell me what he was like when he was at Brentford. i see a bit through work and he seems a top bloke

I am 40 this month and I remember Jackie like it was yesterday. Took over the captaincy from Paul Bence I think. Midfield general who would start and end most fights. Proper Jock! Not your poncy Eddie May type but a real grafter. Great around the ground before and after games with fans always obliged for autographs etc. I dont remember him to be particularly gifted more of a leader a bit like Paul Evans in latter days. Roger Cross was my favourite player at that time so also remember the free kick routine which every club had at that time following the Coventry flick up routine. great years shame that videos are hard to come by of that era as I would be all over that. I used to walk around the pitch selling peanuts Kia Ora and Popcorn in the days of JG and RC. Seem to remember 14000 odd watching 3 -3 draw with Watford around that time as well.
Happy Days:) :D
 

Jackie Graham

I'm sorry WOB, wearing my Guildford City supporter hat I cannot accept Les Brown was miles offside when he headed the winner.

I know that it's just that the rain and the fact that Brown leapt like a salmon that evening to head the winner over a pedestrian defence makes it difficult to accept. lol

Wearing my Bees hat, this season we would have equalised in the 90th min and won on penalties. :wave:

Are you sure ?? I thought he was put clean through, either cleverly beating the offside trap or - from a Bees point of view, at least ten yards offside to finish clinically and win the game!

:wave:
 

Jackie Graham

The next edition of the Middlesex County Times had the headline on it's back page of "Guildford's Offside Windfall" although to be fair they should have won either of the games at GP. I don't think it was a header though and I think NLB is right. These games still haunt me.
 

Jackie Graham

WOB & NLB Don't make me go in the loft and get the Surrey Advertiser press cuttings out.
But they were cracking games and what the FA Cup is all about :wave:
 

Jackie Graham

I've a vague recollection of him scoring direct from a corner when we were on the big match in 1972 or so... or was that the Doc?
 
Back
Top Bottom