Jim Clark

WarrenBee

Well-known member
Joined
8 Feb 2002
Messages
24,178
Reaction score
5,897
Location
Can You See The Real Me?

Jim Clark

There was a documentry about him on TV the other night.
I am no Formula 1 fan, but as a Kid I remember hearing his name a lot, and remembered him dying in Germany in 68. But until the other night I never realised what a fantastic driver he was. Does anyone else remember him?

:cool:
 

Jim Clark

Before my time to see but by all accounts/ documentaries etc he was an exceptional driver, Schumacher level of the time but a very different personality, a quiet man who lived in rural Scotland as I recall.

I think he was very much Jackie Stewart's role model, died at the "ring" practising for a minor class race.

Many put him in the top half dozen of all time great drivers, if not the top.
 

Jim Clark

Does anyone else remember him?

One of the abiding memories of my childhood. I was happily playing in the street on my seventh birthday when I was called in to be told he'd been killed...
 

Jim Clark

n502155833_1044457_2027.jpg


A picture of his memorial at Hockenheim.
 

Jim Clark

Jim Clark was a superb driver and dominated the sport of motor racing in the sixties. I think he also raced and won the Indianapolis 500 event. A class human being to boot!
 

Jim Clark

There was a documentry about him on TV the other night.
I am no Formula 1 fan, but as a Kid I remember hearing his name a lot, and remembered him dying in Germany in 68. But until the other night I never realised what a fantastic driver he was. Does anyone else remember him?

:cool:

If he was that good how come he died in a driving accident?
 

Jim Clark

If he was that good how come he died in a driving accident?

:nono:

I don't believe that you meant that but it also sweeps up Ayrton Senna and many others.

The cause of the Clark accident was never established but it was believed to be a deflating rear tyre that unbalanced the car. A brilliant driver.
 

Jim Clark

:nono:

I don't believe that you meant that but it also sweeps up Ayrton Senna and many others.

The cause of the Clark accident was never established but it was believed to be a deflating rear tyre that unbalanced the car. A brilliant driver.

Agree fully with this abee. When you're driving at such speeds as F1 drivers do accidents are bound to be heavy.

A prime example was Hakkinen's crash caused by a deflating rear tyre. He escaped unhurt but it was a shocking crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhwPSAI-dOo&feature=related

Look at the speed of the accident. In those days he might well have hit a tree (which I believe happened to Clark)
 
Back
Top Bottom