John O'Mara

John O'Mara

It was criminal to be relegated the following season with the leading goalscorer Alan Murray a midfielder on 6 or 7 goals. We then made exactly the same mistake in failing to replace Deano after his goals had won us promotion.
But we did replace him! Surely you remember Murray Jones! :confused:
 

John O'Mara

As was widely reported at the time, it was a "done deal", and Brentford would have disappeared. However, the contract required the signature of Dennis Piggott, who was the Club Secretary. But he refused to sign the document.

This gave those that were desperately trying to save the Club a bit of breathing space. During that time, Ron Blindell came up with the money to save us. So thanks are due to both Dennis and Ron. Thanks boys! :wave:

Interesting. I didn't know that.
 

John O'Mara

John O'Mara

Interesting article - thanks for posting! But going back to a comment made by bees66 on page 2, if you look at big John's stats the same might be said about him as you've suggested about Steve Phillips? Not wishing to take anything away from the legend that is John O'Mara, but it would seem that he might have been a bit of a one hit wonder with the Bees also?
 

John O'Mara

Interesting article - thanks for posting! But going back to a comment made by bees66 on page 2, if you look at big John's stats the same might be said about him as you've suggested about Steve Phillips? Not wishing to take anything away from the legend that is John O'Mara, but it would seem that he might have been a bit of a one hit wonder with the Bees also?

He was sold after only a handful games in the 72/73 season (and he missed the first few games through suspension) - so I guess we will never know if he was a one hit wonder or not.

Ironically, his first game back from suspension was v Blackburn - a game in which he scored & no doubt prompted them to sign him
 

John O'Mara

Not wishing to take anything away from the legend that is John O'Mara, but it would seem that he might have been a bit of a one hit wonder with the Bees also?

personally I think he would have been as good as Deano:wave:
 

John O'Mara

Interesting article - thanks for posting! But going back to a comment made by bees66 on page 2, if you look at big John's stats the same might be said about him as you've suggested about Steve Phillips? Not wishing to take anything away from the legend that is John O'Mara, but it would seem that he might have been a bit of a one hit wonder with the Bees also?

I have never really looked at the figures per se; as the Autumn of 1971 wore on it just became tremendously exciting to watch the Team play; it probably wasn't like this in reality but it seemed that everytime the ball went near the penalty area there was the anticipation that John O'Mara would score; and if he didn't Bobby Ross was behind him to pick it up and sweep it in.

And it was also some of things he did; like heading into the Ealing Road goal from outside the penalty area; or the goal that TeeJayBee refers to earlier against Darlington, a superb strike that was very similar to Di Canio's 'best ever PL goal' and still one of the best Brentford moves/goals I have ever seen.

Also lower down the posts Steve G talks about a front trio of Big John, John D and Roger Cross ripping through Third Division defences; and they would have, absolutely; the potential of the 1971/72 Team was obvious and what happened; we sold Big John, bought Stan Webb from Carlisle and picked up David Court and David Jenkins on free transfers; no wonder Frank Blunstone left; a tragedy that left us a sleeping giant for another 40 years.
 

John O'Mara

He was a total donkey when we signed him from Wimbledon who somehow turned into a worldbeater.

I remember one game when he wasnt playing too well, and my wife who used to go to the occasional game got carried away and called him a plank, and he hit a volley from about 25/340 yards which screamed in, and a guy in front of us turned round and said "not bad for a plank" that kept her quiet for the rest of the gamerofl
 

John O'Mara

I also remember an away game at Aldershot and was amoungst the shots fans as you were in those days, and it was O'Maras first game back after suspension or possibly injury and the shots fans were saying he was rubbish then a run down the right wing by the Doc over came one of his trade mark crosses that seemed to hang in the air and big John powered a bullet of a header in, they all went a bit quiet after that.
 

John O'Mara

I remember one game when he wasnt playing too well, and my wife who used to go to the occasional game got carried away and called him a plank, and he hit a volley from about 25/340 yards which screamed in, and a guy in front of us turned round and said "not bad for a plank" that kept her quiet for the rest of the gamerofl

340 yards? Jeezuz, that must've been some shot. Where was O'Mara? At the Half Acre? rofl
 

John O'Mara

Big John was one of my first hero's along with Ollie Mansley. Everone knew he was good in the air but he was decepitively good on the ground as well. Funniest thing i remember about John was away at Newport County when he was serving one of his suspensions he had to push the kit basket from the coach into the ground (you can just see that happening these days). During this suspension we had a bad run & promotion was looking dodgy but as soon as he came back we picked up again.
As for the fee as far as i can remember there was talk of £50,000 but in the end we undersold as usual for £30,000.
 

John O'Mara

Funniest thing i remember about John was away at Newport County when he was serving one of his suspensions he had to push the kit basket from the coach into the ground (you can just see that happening these days).
That's Lionel's job on Saturday apparently :yes:.
 

John O'Mara

Big John - his first touch was always poor but somehow his gangly legs would recover the ball. Once he perfected his heading he was unstoppable. Every cross he seemed to win but his short fuse let him down. Saw him sent off a number of times, even in a friendly with Hillingdon Boro. But there was nothing like seeing one of his bullet headers rocket into the net. The one at Aldershot that virtually knocked the keeper over the line. Great stuff!
 

John O'Mara

Monday night vs Lincoln. He'd been suspended for a number of weeks and we hadn't won and the wheels were coming off the promotion push. Big John comes back, scores, we win 2-0 and coast to promotion.

In close to 40 years can't remember one man having such an influence on our fortunes.


Having said all that, it turned a bit sour for me about 12 years later when he tuened up pissed at some kind of do in the Bees Club and starting trying to chat up my girlfriend of the time... they do say never get to meet your heroes.
 

John O'Mara

After he was sold to Blackburn there was a feature about O'Mara on one of the few football programmes on the box at the time, which included the Blackburn manager of the time (Ken Furphy, I believe) saying that they were trying to make John into a 'footballer'. I cringed and thought that it was totally the wrong policy at the time as O'Mara was a total one-off. I believe he also got injured shortly afterwards which probably didn't help.

You took him as he was and worked on his assets as Blunstone did. As others have said, he was very fast, had a superbly powerful shot and was a terrific header of the ball. He was also fiery & didn't have the greatest 1st touch.

Blunstone worked on his strengths & he scored some of the best goals I have ever seen at GP & not just with his head - the one against Darlo has been mentioned and one weaving run and shot from the Braemar Rd touchline against Southend was absolutely superb.

He does seem to have been a bit of a restless spirit, a bit like the Welsh Rugby flanker (Pellegro?), but while he was with us his star shone really brightly & he turned out to be one of the most effective & charismatic players I've seen playing for us.
 

John O'Mara

So Good to see him looking so fit yesterday, boy that line-up brought back some memories of the early 70's
 

John O'Mara

Was tremendous to see him, wish I'd had the chance to shake his hand. Even with the grey hair he was unmistakeable.
 

John O'Mara

What a lovely man he was, relaxed and obviously having a great time.
 

John O'Mara

he would walk into any brentford team - anytime.

and yet another of our non league signings if i remember?

(was he from wimbledon when they were non league???)
 

John O'Mara

My lasting memory I think is a 6-2 win against someone and his heading the ball into the Ealing Rd goal to set GP alight. As others have said he was unorthodox to say the least but effective.
 

John O'Mara

John hurt his shoulder in one home maatch as was being helped off the pitch at the Brook Road end when some young lad (now over 50) came on to console him and gave him a whack on the back which nearly crippled John.
Own up now you little sod.
Who are you?:nono:
 

John O'Mara

remember john being late for being selected due to a stop off at pub at kew bridge, playing grimsby on tv the big match i believe he scored two goals if my memory ok ???
 

John O'Mara

John O'Mara

thanks for that footage rattles houston blunstone goals and last but not least one glorious end no more royal oak
 

John O'Mara

It was a real honour to meet and interview John for the book – he's such a deep, thoughtful, intelligent and so untypical of any footballer I've ever met. A real one off. I'll get round to transcribing the rest of the interview soon, it makes fascinating reading and contains a lot of stuff that wasn't right for the Big Book style. He's lived a life of real contrast, an amazing fella and genuine Bees Legend.
 

John O'Mara

It was a real honour to meet and interview John for the book – he's such a deep, thoughtful, intelligent and so untypical of any footballer I've ever met. A real one off. I'll get round to transcribing the rest of the interview soon, it makes fascinating reading and contains a lot of stuff that wasn't right for the Big Book style. He's lived a life of real contrast, an amazing fella and genuine Bees Legend.

Cult Bees Legends III :idea:

Make it so Mr Data....... :yes:
 

John O'Mara

It was a real honour to meet and interview John for the book – he's such a deep, thoughtful, intelligent and so untypical of any footballer I've ever met. A real one off. I'll get round to transcribing the rest of the interview soon, it makes fascinating reading and contains a lot of stuff that wasn't right for the Big Book style. He's lived a life of real contrast, an amazing fella and genuine Bees Legend.

Always been a bit of an enigma, in those dark days when Bees only featured in The Chronny and Evening Mail around Ashford area, fans never really got to know about their heroes. He came to us as an unknown, played a couple of games and looked, tall, awkward and strictly non league but within a couple of months had become a legend. Ran like Dad in a school sports day and looked slow but far from it, boy could he shift.
He used to keep his hands inside his shirt sleeves and slouched a lot but once he got into his stride he was quick, strong and could head a kick a ball as hard as anyone I can recall. He was never out of trouble for fouling centre halfs which in those days was more like assault! He was a one off, a real legend and scored some truly wonderful goals in a freescoring team full of legends, shame it only lasted one season. I'd love to read more about him and the inside story about the Blackburn transfer and what happened afterwards.
Love to know more about him and the truth behind the Blackburn transfer, get him signed up for the
 

John O'Mara

Always been a bit of an enigma, in those dark days when Bees only featured in The Chronny and Evening Mail around Ashford area, fans never really got to know about their heroes. He came to us as an unknown, played a couple of games and looked, tall, awkward and strictly non league but within a couple of months had become a legend. Ran like Dad in a school sports day and looked slow but far from it, boy could he shift.
He used to keep his hands inside his shirt sleeves and slouched a lot but once he got into his stride he was quick, strong and could head a kick a ball as hard as anyone I can recall. He was never out of trouble for fouling centre halfs which in those days was more like assault! He was a one off, a real legend and scored some truly wonderful goals in a freescoring team full of legends, shame it only lasted one season. I'd love to read more about him and the inside story about the Blackburn transfer and what happened afterwards.
Love to know more about him and the truth behind the Blackburn transfer, get him signed up for the

Frank Blunstone is the man who deserves much of the credit for the transformation, I believe; not only did he 'find' him for £750 from Wimbledon he spent an awful lot of time coaching him to make the runs that made him so, so effective against Fourth Division defences; the hours Frank spent getting Big John to anticipate where John Docherty and Bobby Ross were going to put the ball were well spent.

And as for selling him to Blackburn for £30000 for whatever reason (Brentford, as always in those days, just needed the dosh) it is right up there amongst the top worst decisions the Club has ever made; it was a prime/core reason for Frank leaving, for the immediate relegation and for the miserable, miserable years that immediately followed; people who didn't think much of Andy Scott's teams should have gone week in week out to see Mike Everitt's team play . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ; I do, though, accept that it wasn't all Mike Everitt's fault but from 18000 crowds coming to see Big John head goals from outside the penalty area I became part of 3000 crowds coming to see Stan Webb . . . . . .
 

John O'Mara

I saw some of the games in the 71/2 season when returning to the area, including that move and volley from Doc's cross against Darlington. I was right behind Doc on the Braemar Road side. The most complete goal I've seen. Thought he was great. Unfortunately my last sight of him was at Hounslow one evening, when playing for Margate. He got sent off, and kicked and damaged a dressing room door. I will remember The Bees days; I was told that Frank spent hours polishing his heading ability: it certainly worked!
 

John O'Mara

I saw some of the games in the 71/2 season when returning to the area, including that move and volley from Doc's cross against Darlington. I was right behind Doc on the Braemar Road side. The most complete goal I've seen. Thought he was great. Unfortunately my last sight of him was at Hounslow one evening, when playing for Margate. He got sent off, and kicked and damaged a dressing room door. I will remember The Bees days; I was told that Frank spent hours polishing his heading ability: it certainly worked!

The magic a la De Canio style volley against Darlington was from Paul Bence's cross, I reckon. Brian Turner fed Paul from their attack at the Brook Road end.

But it was magic regardless of whose cross it was; brilliant flowing football; I can still see Big John hurtling towards the Ealing Road with his left arm outstretched telling Paul where he wanted the ball.
 

John O'Mara

Easter, you could easily br right; I do remember Paul being involved. It is almost 40 years ago now, so forgive the memory lapse! I was on a line with John when he volleyed it in! I did have all the programmes from the Bees, and Hounslow, and others. I was always accused by my wife of being a hoarder, so on a house move a few years ago, I either sold or disposed of the whole lot. I wondered if Alan Nelmes was playing that day, and if he started it by passing to Turner? Shame videos weren't around then; it would have been complete goal of the season!
 

John O'Mara

Easter, you could easily br right; I do remember Paul being involved. It is almost 40 years ago now, so forgive the memory lapse! I was on a line with John when he volleyed it in! I did have all the programmes from the Bees, and Hounslow, and others. I was always accused by my wife of being a hoarder, so on a house mo

ve a few years ago, I either sold or disposed of the whole lot. I wondered if Alan Nelmes was playing that day, and if he started it by passing to Turner? Shame videos weren't around then; it would have been complete goal of the season!

I'd guess that Nelmo was playing only because if he was fit
he started alongside Peter Gelson. I remember the game and the goal and don't have a programme but would guess at a team of

Phillips
Bence
Nelmo
Gelson
Hawley
Turner
Graham
Houston
John Doc
Roger Cross
Big John O'Mara

Not sure if Terry Scales was in there somewhere in which case maybe Stewart Houston wasn't playing?
 

John O'Mara

From my scrapbook 71/72 Brentford 6-2 Darlington (HT 1-1)
Gate 10,976
Team: Phillips, Bence, Nelmes, Gelson, Scales, Turner, Allen, Graham, O'Mara, Ross, Docherty,
sub Neilson
 

John O'Mara

From my scrapbook 71/72 Brentford 6-2 Darlington (HT 1-1)
Gate 10,976
Team: Phillips, Bence, Nelmes, Gelson, Scales, Turner, Allen, Graham, O'Mara, Ross, Docherty,
sub Neilson

Thanks, can't believe I forgot Bobby Ross, he was captain
 

John O'Mara

Just to say we hope to welcome some more 70s legends to a home game next month who will help us promote our book. More details to be revealed soon
 

John O'Mara

sonofabee check out post 75 ref game, houston clear as a bird
 

John O'Mara

Bobby Ross, I'd forgotten he was captain then. Think I saw one of his first games for the Bees. I was working and living in Newport at the time (1966). It must have been about March time, and I took the train to Swansea to see the Bees play. I think he joined together with John Regan, but lasted with us a bit longer.
 

John O'Mara

I'm fascinated by the whole O'Mara cult. He was a few years before my time but stripping away the nostalgic glow that surrounds him, O'Mara was essentially a one season wonder wasn't he? As I understand it he did little or nothing with his career before or after that promotion season.

Maybe in a sense it was for the best that he moved on early the following year - that way his reputation stayed intact. In fact it seems to grow still further as the years pass in a way that the legend of other players from a broadly similar era (Steve Phillips for example) doesn't. I do wonder whether the veneration of O'Mara might sometimes say as much about the need for the 50something generation of Bees to hold on to their youthful memories as it does the player himself. Later generations don't seem to have one totemic player that defined an era in quite the same way - I guess as the fortunes of the club improved slightly there was a greater choice of hero?
 

John O'Mara

As far as John O'Mara is concerned, there was a story doing the rounds at the time that during half-time of the game at Crewe at Easter in the 1971/72 season, O'Mara had a bust-up with Frank Blunstone. Rumours suggested he lifted Blunstone up by his collar and pinned him to the wall!!! Big John didn't appear for the second half and maybe that was the beginning of the end for him.

I remember that game. I used to have the chance to travel on the team coach in those days, and John O'Mara was in a good mood before the game, wheeling the kit into the ground. However, he played poorly -- his first touch on the ground, which was never the greatest, was really letting him down. His substitution (which I can't remember) therefore would have been no great surprise: altogether it was one of the worst team performances of that season. Frank Blunstone came into the board room after the game and was chatting to all his old contacts at Crewe. Neither then nor on the coach home was there any sign of a serious bust up, though I can't say for certain that it didn't happen.
When Blackburn bought O'Mara they played him in a team without wingers. It was never going to work and I guess he just lost interest.
For the sheer excitement he generated with his runs into the box there has never been anyone to match him, though Gordon Sweetzer in his prime was excellent, too. You just always had the feeling that any halfway decent cross in the air was likely to lead to a goal, and John Docherty and Bobby Ross were more than capable of delivering a good ball.
 

John O'Mara

For the sheer excitement he generated with his runs into the box there has never been anyone to match him, though Gordon Sweetzer in his prime was excellent, too...

Garybaldbee asks above if the whole O'Mara thing is just rose-tinted spectatcles and you've summed up why he is such a cult figure. That feeling that any halfway decent chance was likely to lead to a goal has been pretty rare over the past 40 years... you can count on less than two hands the players who really gave that confidence and O'Mara and Sweetzer (first time round) absolutely did.
 

John O'Mara

one of O'Mara's goals - home v Hartlepool - a corner swung over and Pool defenders tried to block him. John would start from just outside the penalty area. He met the ball with tremendous power and ran away with his familiar one arm raised . Left on the deck were 3 Pool defenders wondering what had hit them!
Once promoted,his games v Blackburn and Bolton showed that the team really could have gone places. His transfer was a total downer, Especially to my 12 yr old self!
Agree with other posts re Stan Webb-it was'nt easy dragging yurself to GP to watch him!
 

John O'Mara

I'm fascinated by the whole O'Mara cult. He was a few years before my time but stripping away the nostalgic glow that surrounds him, O'Mara was essentially a one season wonder wasn't he? As I understand it he did little or nothing with his career before or after that promotion season.

Maybe in a sense it was for the best that he moved on early the following year - that way his reputation stayed intact. In fact it seems to grow still further as the years pass in a way that the legend of other players from a broadly similar era (Steve Phillips for example) doesn't. I do wonder whether the veneration of O'Mara might sometimes say as much about the need for the 50something generation of Bees to hold on to their youthful memories as it does the player himself. Later generations don't seem to have one totemic player that defined an era in quite the same way - I guess as the fortunes of the club improved slightly there was a greater choice of hero?

We'll never know Garybaldbee............I was an 8 year old and can still remember my dad telling me that he saw Tommy Lawton and Jim Towers were legends who he saw play for Brentford and they were both better than Geoff Hurst !
I don't think even then as a gullible 8 year old I quite believed him as how could two old looking blokes from sepia photographs in funny old kits and clogs for boots be legends and compare to players like Bobbby Gould or Martin Chivers?
All that changed that same season, I watched a lanky, ungainly, scruffy, hunch backed, ex Margate triallist become possibly the most exciting and unpredictable player I've ever seen in over 40 years of watching the Bees. Not the most technically gifted, not the best team player- he'd not last 90 minutes in todays game..........but that season he was fantastic scoring 3 or 4 goals that would qualify for my top 10 goals ever, bullet headers from the edge of the box, thunderbolt shots from distance on the run, hat tricks, and part of a team that seemed to score 5 or 6 goals regularly that season.

And then he was gone...........no TV or radio coverage, no texts, no internet, just an article by George Sands on the back page of The Chronny and a footnote on the inside back page of the Mirror.

In my memory he was a legend and I've nothing to watch again to judge in hindsight if he was as good as I think he was and for that I'm glad as don't want my image of a legend tarnished.
 

John O'Mara

We'll never know Garybaldbee............
All that changed that same season, I watched a lanky, ungainly, scruffy, hunch backed, ex Margate triallist become possibly the most exciting and unpredictable player I've ever seen in over 40 years of watching the Bees. Not the most technically gifted, not the best team player- he'd not last 90 minutes in todays game..........but that season he was fantastic scoring 3 or 4 goals that would qualify for my top 10 goals ever, bullet headers from the edge of the box, thunderbolt shots from distance on the run, hat tricks, and part of a team that seemed to score 5 or 6 goals regularly that season.

And then he was gone...........no TV or radio coverage, no texts, no internet, just an article by George Sands on the back page of The Chronny and a footnote on the inside back page of the Mirror.

In my memory he was a legend and I've nothing to watch again to judge in hindsight if he was as good as I think he was and for that I'm glad as don't want my image of a legend tarnished.

Sums it up for me
 

John O'Mara

We'll never know Garybaldbee............I was an 8 year old and can still remember my dad telling me that he saw Tommy Lawton and Jim Towers were legends who he saw play for Brentford and they were both better than Geoff Hurst !
I don't think even then as a gullible 8 year old I quite believed him as how could two old looking blokes from sepia photographs in funny old kits and clogs for boots be legends and compare to players like Bobbby Gould or Martin Chivers?
All that changed that same season, I watched a lanky, ungainly, scruffy, hunch backed, ex Margate triallist become possibly the most exciting and unpredictable player I've ever seen in over 40 years of watching the Bees. Not the most technically gifted, not the best team player- he'd not last 90 minutes in todays game..........but that season he was fantastic scoring 3 or 4 goals that would qualify for my top 10 goals ever, bullet headers from the edge of the box, thunderbolt shots from distance on the run, hat tricks, and part of a team that seemed to score 5 or 6 goals regularly that season.

And then he was gone...........no TV or radio coverage, no texts, no internet, just an article by George Sands on the back page of The Chronny and a footnote on the inside back page of the Mirror.

In my memory he was a legend and I've nothing to watch again to judge in hindsight if he was as good as I think he was and for that I'm glad as don't want my image of a legend tarnished.

Hope you had the chance to met him when he came to the book launch at the Yeovil game. An incredible man with real presence who had time for everyone
 

John O'Mara

Can't remember if he scored two, but you can check it out here :D.

http://www.brentfordfctv.co.uk/brentford-v-grimsby-25-03-72.php

Thank you for that one. So many good things to remember.

Players wearing numbers 1-12 on their shirts. A goalkeeper with number 53? WTF is that all about?

The Royal Oak. Looking at that makes me cringe when I see the Wendy House.

LWT's fooball show where we could get a look in on TV at least once or twice a year.

The players - O'Mara, Houston, Gelson, Graham, Turner (I particularly liked him - a footballer with a bit of 'animal' about him)

No tippy-tappy. I bet the ball didn't spend more than 3 minutes on the ground in that game.

Did the pooper scoopers lose that day? I'd like to think they did.
 

John O'Mara

Thinking back (I was 14 at the time) about Big John, I can remember his monster sideburns and how his shirt was never long enough to reach his shorts. His effect on the team was pretty amazing. Let's not forget during the promotion season he endured a five week suspension and we became a shadow of our former self. Promotion hopes took a nose dive including if I recall a 3-0 loss at home to Newport who hadn't won a game up until then and a 3-0 home loss to S****horpe. He came back and it was like a new team easily brushing aside a decent Lincoln team winning 2-0. I remember one game where he missed a total sitter with only the goalie to beat and his shot was on its way to the corner flag only to be quickly crossed back over and Big John's flung himself at the ball and his bullet header has rocketed into the net. He knew he was the target man and didn't disappoint. Every cross into the box and somehow O'Mara would be there his giant gangly frame leaping into a pack of defenders to connect. I would love to know the ratio of headers to crosses he connected with but of course statistics didn't matter much back then. The game against Crewe when another bullet header had us in that split second of him connecting with the ball shouting "goal!" and expecting the familiar bulging net only to our shock and amazement watch as the audacity of a keeper make the save of his life and push it past the post a la Pele and Banks.

Still say his best goal was away at Aldershot from a standing jump around the edge of the box using only neck muscles he sent the ball thundering into the net past a shocked goalkeeper who flung out an arm and ended up falling into the net as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom