Jonathan Trott

Indian Bee

Well-known member
Joined
10 Feb 2001
Messages
18,075
Reaction score
22,449
Location
Manhattan

Jonathan Trott

Trott walkout was a con - hard hitting stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/26608075

I always felt it was more to do with his performance than any other mental related illness. Serious questions needs to be asked of the England management team if they did truly make everyone believe Trott walked out because of mental illness, when it looks like he was more burnt out.
 

Jonathan Trott

When he said he was sitting at breakfast in Oz, cap down over his eyes away from his mates in a corner, you must know something isn't good and he was perceived well enough to go into bat!:eek:
 

Jonathan Trott

sticking up for his South African mate no doubt..
 

Jonathan Trott

Trott walkout was a con - hard hitting stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/26608075

I always felt it was more to do with his performance than any other mental related illness. Serious questions needs to be asked of the England management team if they did truly make everyone believe Trott walked out because of mental illness, when it looks like he was more burnt out.

I've lost a lot of sympathy for him.
 

Jonathan Trott

totally agree with Mark Butcher on twitter (a point that frankly could be made in a lot of situations):
Whatever your opinion on the Trott saga, 1 thing is proven beyond doubt. Trying to "control" the story leads to negative fallout & mistrust
 

Jonathan Trott

Whether he was 'depressed' or having anxiety issues it's all mental illness. I don't get what Vaughan is on about. I've always thought he is a bit of a **** and am now doubly convinced. I don't think Trott should play for England again but at least he had the insight to realise he couldn't handle the pressure in Aus. Unlike Ian Bell.
 

Jonathan Trott

I've lost a lot of sympathy for him.

So do I but I always had doubts that it had nothing to do with depression or any mental illness but just a lost of form and he bottled it. My doubts stemed from the fact that noone connected to the England set up, media or former players knew anything about this 'illness'. ECB have been so deceitful about the whole saga, that any trust left in them (i had none anyway) is completely gone.

I for one do not think Trott should play for England again - in MV words, he did a runner. Do England want players who do a runner when the chips are down?
 

Jonathan Trott

I think Vaughan's comments are a bit harsh. It may not have been full blown depression but being burnt out is still potentially serious. Had Trott not taken the decision he did, which he clearly didn't do lightly, then longer term burn out could have led to depression. The bottom line is that mentally he wasn't coping regardless of what label you want to put on it.

As for playing for England again, i think he has to earn his place back in the team and convince the selectors that he has adjusted his mindset to ensure this doesn't happen again. I like Trott and he has been the perfect number 3 for us for a few years but my gut feeling is that we need to move on and build the team around some of the young players.
 

Jonathan Trott

Whether he was 'depressed' or having anxiety issues it's all mental illness. I don't get what Vaughan is on about. I've always thought he is a bit of a **** and am now doubly convinced.

ECB have been so deceitful about the whole saga, that any trust left in them (i had none anyway) is completely gone.

As for playing for England again, i think he has to earn his place back in the team and convince the selectors that he has adjusted his mindset to ensure this doesn't happen again. I like Trott and he has been the perfect number 3 for us for a few years but my gut feeling is that we need to move on and build the team around some of the young players.

agree with all these things. and i like CBU's Bell jibe :laugh:

the ECB have gone so far down the wrong road with "managing" stories now, ANYTHING they say is going to be doubted and mis-trusted by Twitter, all the journalists, and i daresay 80%(?) of fans. and the sad thing is, it'll take a good 5-10 years of doing it ALL correctly to even start to build that trust back up. so stupid, just shooting themselves in the foot constantly.
 

Jonathan Trott

Don't really see why it needs such a debate or why Vaughan needs to get involved. Trott had his reasons and I think we need to respect them, clearly going home to his family was the right decision. If his doctor told him that in any normal situation he would be signed off from work shows that it was a serious issue.

What surprised me was why the players or the ecb weren't giving him help or support. His comments about sitting on his own with his cap on should have been picked up on and dealt with, surely his team mates could see that something was wrong?

I think the ECB should look at how they communicated this and clearly using words like 'depression' or 'stress related illness' in the press release were wrong and now misleading.
 

Jonathan Trott

I've suffered depression. Undiagnosed in 1999. Got it again and was diagnosed in 2001 and most recently 2003. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

A couple of years ago I was signed off work for a month with anxiety / stress. Oddly the primary cause was having too little work to do. But I effectively seized up mentally. I was unable to make basic decisions and a complete confidence collapse followed. It was very unpleasant and took several months to get back to normal after I returned to work.

Vaughan's comments are out of order. He cannot know the depth of the disturbance in Trott's mind. Be it freeze, fear, massive drop in self-belief. But for one of our finest batsmen to turn to mush over the latter half of last summer and the start of the winter something was going on in his head. To cheapen that by effectively saying it was very minor is at best unfortunate.

Michael, you were a bloody good captain. You're no psychiatrist. Nobody's been conned here.
 
Last edited:

Jonathan Trott

I've suffered depression. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

A couple of years ago I was signed off work for a month with anxiety / stress. Oddly the primary cause was having too little work to do. But I effectively seized up mentally. I was unable to make basic decisions and a complete confidence collapse followed. It was very unpleasant and took several months to get back to normal after I returned to work.

Vaughan's comments are out of order. He cannot know the depth of the disturbance in Trott's mind. Be it freeze, fear, massive drop in self-belief. But for one of our finest batsmen to turn to mush over the latter half of last summer and the start of the winter something was going on in his head. To cheapen that by effectively saying it was very minor is at best unfortunate.

Michael, you were a bloody good captain. You're no psychiatrist.

:imwith:

An excellent post.

There are still many people who don't accept depression is a serious, debilitating illness. :(
 

Jonathan Trott

I've suffered depression. Undiagnosed in 1999. Got it again and was diagnosed in 2001 and most recently 2003. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

A couple of years ago I was signed off work for a month with anxiety / stress. Oddly the primary cause was having too little work to do. But I effectively seized up mentally. I was unable to make basic decisions and a complete confidence collapse followed. It was very unpleasant and took several months to get back to normal after I returned to work.

Vaughan's comments are out of order. He cannot know the depth of the disturbance in Trott's mind. Be it freeze, fear, massive drop in self-belief. But for one of our finest batsmen to turn to mush over the latter half of last summer and the start of the winter something was going on in his head. To cheapen that by effectively saying it was very minor is at best unfortunate.

Michael, you were a bloody good captain. You're no psychiatrist. Nobody's been conned here.

Good post. I have experienced similar, and it's horrible. I can't imagine going through that in front of 40,000 baying Aussies who want you to fail.

Trott is not the most likeable of blokes - nor the most intelligent - but no-one should pour scorn from a position of ignorance...
 

Jonathan Trott

So do I but I always had doubts that it had nothing to do with depression or any mental illness but just a lost of form and he bottled it. My doubts stemed from the fact that noone connected to the England set up, media or former players knew anything about this 'illness'. ECB have been so deceitful about the whole saga, that any trust left in them (i had none anyway) is completely gone.

I for one do not think Trott should play for England again - in MV words, he did a runner. Do England want players who do a runner when the chips are down?

I don't disagree that he shouldn't be playing for England but what Trott described was a mental illness, headaches, crippling anxiety. vaughan is talking out of his arse to stir sh*t up and sell papers while at the same time contributing to a massive lack of understanding as to what mental illness is.
 

Jonathan Trott

I don't disagree that he shouldn't be playing for England but what Trott described was a mental illness, headaches, crippling anxiety. vaughan is talking out of his arse to stir sh*t up and sell papers while at the same time contributing to a massive lack of understanding as to what mental illness is.

:imwith:
 

Jonathan Trott

Good luck Jonathan.Would love to see you in an England shirt again.
 

Jonathan Trott

Good post. I have experienced similar, and it's horrible. I can't imagine going through that in front of 40,000 baying Aussies who want you to fail.

Trott is not the most likeable of blokes - nor the most intelligent - but no-one should pour scorn from a position of ignorance...
He seems likeable to me and popular with his team mates i believe ?
 

Jonathan Trott

From what i have read and having now seen Trott's interview on Sky, it came across there was a misrepresentation of a loss of form/ burnout as a stress related illness. This is my take on it. Trott even mentioned he was just shattered. He however was not suffering from depression.

Where I feel let down is the England management team coming out and led us all to believe this was something as similar as what Marcus Trescothick went through. They have managed this extremely poorly.

Is MV out of order - no I actually don't think so as he was a captain who had to manage a friend/ colleague who went through mental illness. If anything it has raised the profile of an illness that at times is truly misunderstood.
 

Jonathan Trott

Don't really see why it needs such a debate or why Vaughan needs to get involved. Trott had his reasons and I think we need to respect them, clearly going home to his family was the right decision. If his doctor told him that in any normal situation he would be signed off from work shows that it was a serious issue.

What surprised me was why the players or the ecb weren't giving him help or support. His comments about sitting on his own with his cap on should have been picked up on and dealt with, surely his team mates could see that something was wrong?

I think the ECB should look at how they communicated this and clearly using words like 'depression' or 'stress related illness' in the press release were wrong and now misleading.

The worst thing, for me, is Trott used words like nutcase and crazy when talking about depression etc.

From what i have read and having now seen Trott's interview on Sky, it came across there was a misrepresentation of a loss of form/ burnout as a stress related illness. This is my take on it. Trott even mentioned he was just shattered. He however was not suffering from depression.

Where I feel let down is the England management team coming out and led us all to believe this was something as similar as what Marcus Trescothick went through. They have managed this extremely poorly.

Is MV out of order - no I actually don't think so as he was a captain who had to manage a friend/ colleague who went through mental illness. If anything it has raised the profile of an illness that at times is truly misunderstood.

I would be very interested to see what Trescothick has to say about this.
 

Jonathan Trott

The worst thing, for me, is Trott used words like nutcase and crazy when talking about depression etc.

Maybe he is in a sort of denial as to what a mental illness is? Not all mental illnesses are akin to "one flew over the cukoos nest".
However alot of people tend to believe this is the case.

I was ignorant enough to believe this was the case too until I witnessed it first hand people close to me or my friends suffering.
 

Jonathan Trott

Maybe he is in a sort of denial as to what a mental illness is? Not all mental illnesses are akin to "one flew over the cukoos nest".
However alot of people tend to believe this is the case.

I was ignorant enough to believe this was the case too until I witnessed it first hand people close to me or my friends suffering.

That was my take on it too, describe it as a lesser thing and hope that it's gone when he returns. A bloke welling up when talking about it doesn't strike me as being simply describing being burnt out.
 

Jonathan Trott

I'm fairly sure Vaughan made some negative comments before it was said Trott was depressed and had to publicly apologise so I imagine that why he seems to gone out of his way to attack Trott now.
 

Jonathan Trott

I'm fairly sure Vaughan made some negative comments before it was said Trott was depressed and had to publicly apologise so I imagine that why he seems to gone out of his way to attack Trott now.

Could be some truth in it - I do believe that Vaughan previously criticised Trott and commented on him 'celebrating' with the South Africans when they won the series back in 2009/10. However, I'm more inclined to think that MV has gone hard as he saw what Marcus went through and from Trott's interview he was just 'burnt out' (I take NB's comment that he may well be in denial) - but it came across he was demeaning people with mental illness, with the words nutcase and crazy. Not sure the Sky interview did Trott any favours and not sure why the ECB allowed him to do it.
 

Jonathan Trott

Maybe he is in a sort of denial as to what a mental illness is? Not all mental illnesses are akin to "one flew over the cukoos nest".
However alot of people tend to believe this is the case.

I was ignorant enough to believe this was the case too until I witnessed it first hand people close to me or my friends suffering.

That maybe so. However, I believe those comments were disrespectful to the people that do have problems (maybe even similar to his).
 

Jonathan Trott

SSN reporting that he is to take another break from cricket- a short lived comeback indeed!!
 

Jonathan Trott

What he is going through is truly horrendous and to have to go through it under the media spotlight must be incredibly tough.

I sincerely wish him all the best.
 

Jonathan Trott

Michael Vaughan, lets have yet another apology you big mouthed tyke spouting off on something you know nothing about.. Mental illness is a desperate and distressing affliction. I really feel for Trott
 

Jonathan Trott

Feel for Trott, at his best a very very good player but I fear the news today is probably the end of his England career now.
 

Jonathan Trott

As someone who suffers from Depression he is clearly going through it and doesn''t want to admit it to himself or others. The problem I have with depression, is it is classed as a mental illness, I don't think it is and being classed as it comes with a stigma and that's why sometimes I don't take my pills (hence why I'm a lot angrier at times then others).
 

Jonathan Trott

On a side note, its such a shame how Michael Vaughan has turned out, his twitter account is ****ing embarrassing, he acts like a 12 year old kid with inane "banter" and his views on Trott was misinformed at best. Used to be a hero now he's just a ****.
 

Jonathan Trott

As someone who suffers from Depression he is clearly going through it and doesn''t want to admit it to himself or others. The problem I have with depression, is it is classed as a mental illness, I don't think it is and being classed as it comes with a stigma and that's why sometimes I don't take my pills (hence why I'm a lot angrier at times then others).

Couldn't agree more. I've suffered with (at times severe) anxiety and depression since the late 90s and it took me years to come to terms with the fact that the only time I will ever have it under some sort of control is under medication.

The problem for me in the early days was I'd be in crisis, then for whatever reason I'd feel better and ditch the meds. Then I'd return to being volatile and deeply unhappy. When I feel okay, I forget how bad the low points were - exactly the same symptom Trott demonstrated that led to Vaughan running his mouth off.

Depression robs people of years of their life, and in Trott's case his international career.
 
Back
Top Bottom