Len Bond

Len Bond

remember his understudy???

trevor porter?

i suppose it was nearly 30 years ago!
 

Len Bond

Just reading the name gives me goose bumps, happy days and happier memories of being a BEE.:sorted:
 

Len Bond

Just reading the name gives me goose bumps, happy days and happier memories of being a BEE.:sorted:

forget 92, my favourite squad.

phillips, allder, kruse, mcnichol, fraser, tucker!

legends!
 

Len Bond

Remember when LB played for Exeter at GP and was stretchered off, he got a hero send off.

Also remember Mr Botham walking past me in the Royal Oak that night.
 

Len Bond

I remember Lend Bond turned up at Hounslow Manor school after training at Osterley during the dinner break with a few other players, it was unbelievable to see him as he was a big favourite of mine, as said above a real gent
 

Len Bond

Lee Scratch Perry...

Bill Dodgin was a gambler
Rode around in a Rambler.

With Len Bond, in the back.
 

Len Bond

Len Bond, the whole team and management were the best drinkers in the whole football league.:)
 

Len Bond

Probably my all time favourite Bees keeper.

Len was in goal for Exeter when Brentford won 7-1 at St James' Park.
 

Len Bond

What a good keeper he was. Safe, sound, not the biggest but totally reliable
 

Len Bond

I don't think we've been blessed with good keepers over the years but Bond would be second to McKellar in my rankings since the mid-sixties. Not the tallest but brave and reliable and, unlike McKellar, actually played in a Brentford side that achieved something.
 

Len Bond

I don't think we've been blessed with good keepers over the years but Bond would be second to McKellar in my rankings since the mid-sixties. Not the tallest but brave and reliable and, unlike McKellar, actually played in a Brentford side that achieved something.
yes i agree with above. Both were very sound and inspired confidence. McKellar and Bond were the best i'd seen, but Paul Smith maybe edges them
 

Len Bond

yes i agree with above. Both were very sound and inspired confidence. McKellar and Bond were the best i'd seen, but Paul Smith maybe edges them

McKellar all day long. Best keeper in my 35 years at GP.

I'd add Bond, Smith and Oli G possibly vie for number 2 spot.
 

Len Bond

'I've got Benstead's gloves'.

:D

does the kid who said that still go to GP? I seem to remember Richard Archer saying he was more of a Chelsea fan these days.
 

Len Bond

funny that in the space of two weeks we went from having...

McCullough - one of the worst ever keepers to the similar sounding
McKellar= one of the best ever keepers.
 

Len Bond

Mckellar, Smith Bond for me
 

Len Bond

McKellar by bloody miles with Benstead and Smith not far behind.
I liked Gary Phillips but that was more down to his sense of humour.
 

Len Bond

McKellar by bloody miles with Benstead and Smith not far behind.
I liked Gary Phillips but that was more down to his sense of humour.

My memory fades. Was McKellar really that good, cos we didn't keep him for that long did we?
 

Len Bond

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Gerry Cakebread.Maybe notthe best but certainly in the top 3in the last 20-40 years.
 

Len Bond

McKellar by bloody miles with Benstead and Smith not far behind.

I spot a contradiction here between the 2 measures - or do your seven-league boots make "bloody miles" seem a mere footstep?
sorryforbeingpedanticsmiley

Back to topic, I think it was possibly because he followed Bond (my all-time favourite GK, just ahead of Benstead) that I wasn't all that impressed with McKellar, but I know he is highly rated by several on here
 

Len Bond

My memory fades. Was McKellar really that good, cos we didn't keep him for that long did we?

only played 2 seasons, then fell out with Fred Callaghan, swapped him for Trevor Swinburne i think from Carlisle United, poor deal !! best i've seen in 35 years. IMO.
 

Len Bond

Didn't he leave after a training pitch punch-up with Callaghan?
 

Len Bond

Lennie Bond..great to remember him, that great late 70's team and the Royal Oak end...
 

Len Bond

So I take it McKellar and Callaghan did not get on? That explains something for me then.

As a ten year old, I went to the 1981/82 team photo. Nice old Fred saw me and asked if I'd like to have my picture taken with any of the players.

"Yes please. Bob Booker, Terry Hurlock, Danis Salman and David McKellar."

"No problem young man, I'll gather them round."

Less than five minutes later Booker, Salman and Hurlock walk over. Along with Paul ****ing Walker. I'm too scared to say anything, so I get the pic done with three Bees Legends and Paul Walker. For twenty-seven years I have just thought Callaghan was hard of hearing. Now I know he is actually a bitter Fulham fool!
 

Len Bond

So that's why Mckellar left. He got the hump because he wasn't allowed to be in your photo. It's all your fault. Mind you, Walker did have half a season under Callaghan when he looked like he was going to live up to his England schoolboys promise. Not to be though, although he is in my all-time Brentford team of great lost talents.
 

Len Bond

my boyhood hero:sorted:
 

Len Bond

...........................shaken not stirred....................
 

Len Bond

Having started watching the Bees in 1977 LB was one of my first heroes.
So I was therefore pleased to find out I was talking to his cousin who lives in my (Somerset) village the other day!! She said he sometimes visits so I'll keep an eye out for him!!! Apparently he runs an on-line Sportswear shop now and does a bit of coaching at Millfield school. Told his cousin the tale of him being carried off after breaking his leg (??) when returning to GP (can't remember who for........) and the standing ovation he got. She said she wouldn't remind him of it "as he's big-headed enough as it is" !!!!! I think she was joking........
 

Len Bond

Having started watching the Bees in 1977 LB was one of my first heroes.
So I was therefore pleased to find out I was talking to his cousin who lives in my (Somerset) village the other day!! She said he sometimes visits so I'll keep an eye out for him!!! Apparently he runs an on-line Sportswear shop now and does a bit of coaching at Millfield school. Told his cousin the tale of him being carried off after breaking his leg (??) when returning to GP (can't remember who for........) and the standing ovation he got. She said she wouldn't remind him of it "as he's big-headed enough as it is" !!!!! I think she was joking........

Sure this was against Exeter.
 
Back
Top Bottom