Marcus Bent

bigmac

Tasty, but full of crap
Joined
15 Jan 2001
Messages
1,284
Reaction score
32
Location
Chippenham, Wiltshire

Marcus Bent

Glad to see an ex-bee doing himself justice in the premiership, i always knew he had the class. Just have a few questions about his time at the Bees.

As a young Bees fan at the time i remember his debut season at the club with great fondness, such a skillful player coming through our youth system was something i was pleased to see. Correct me if i am wrong but was he not very popular amongst the majority of Bees fans ?.

I remember one game when W£bb was sitting in the stands, he came down to the touchline and called Marcus over, when Marcus did come over he was greeted with a thick ear from the arse chinned one. Was this one on the things that was the catalyst for Bents transfer at Palace, i remember thinking at the time we could have got a lot more than £300,000 for him if we held onto him for another season.

Also am i imagining things or did Noades try to bring him back a few seasons ago only for Bent to turn us down cause he didn't think us fans liked him.
 

Marcus Bent

I think there were mixed feelings about Bent. Great potential but only had 1 good game in 5 (a bit like Marcus Gayle).

Also, he had a chip on his shoulder almost as big as Frank Bruno's!
 

Marcus Bent

I'm sure, unless my memory is failing me,(again), that he scored the first goal of a cup tie against a non-league team,Farnboro?, thus winning me a nice little drink.

Bent,Asaba,Forster and Taylor was a formidable line out up front, and my guess is they would still do the first division justice now.
 

Marcus Bent

He got a bit lost at wembley against Crewe. Great skill but on the wing I think he used to forget about tracking back.
 

Marcus Bent

the fact that he had problems at brentford and was sold is always put down to webb.
Bents record reads one of inconsistency, a great game followed by 3 crap ones.
look at his record, brentford, palace, port vale, sheff unt, blackburn, ipswich. He has hardly held down a regular place in all this time before being shipped out for millions!

6 clubs in 5 seasons tells its own story!
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mhead bee:
6 clubs in 5 seasons tells its own story!</font>

Sure does, he's probably a very wealthy ex-Bee thru' the signing-on fees !

Is he worth a punt in the Fantasy Footie League tho' - £3.4m in the Telegraph ?
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bee H:
Is he worth a punt in the Fantasy Footie League tho' - £3.4m in the Telegraph ?

</font>

Who's he gonna replace though?!
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Si Bee:
Who's he gonna replace though?!

</font>

those useless pillocks Hasselbank and Henry
biggrin.gif


only joking, I'm deep in thought at the mo about my team (doing fairly well it has to be said !) and 'might' tell ya more soon.

Re Fantasy Footie, I always remember picking that waste of space Duncan Ferguson when he first came in to English football - and he got sent down for 6 months !!!
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bee H:
Sure does, he's probably a very wealthy ex-Bee thru' the signing-on fees !

Is he worth a punt in the Fantasy Footie League tho' - £3.4m in the Telegraph ?

</font>
You bet!!!!
He bought a Porsche with his signing on from Sheff. Utd
eek.gif
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mhead bee:
the fact that he had problems at brentford and was sold is always put down to webb.
Bents record reads one of inconsistency, a great game followed by 3 crap ones.
look at his record, brentford, palace, port vale, sheff unt, blackburn, ipswich. He has hardly held down a regular place in all this time before being shipped out for millions!

6 clubs in 5 seasons tells its own story!
</font>

bit unfair, he scored loads for sheffield utd, and wouldve done the same for blackburn if they had given him the chance instead of shelling out £7million for a hasbeen.
Yately bee - correct sir, he scored on his debut in a 1-1 draw with farnborough in the FA cup.
interestingly though i can only remember him playing out on the wing, his potential as a striker must have passed everyone by completly.
 

Marcus Bent

I am led to believe that he was highly rated by Palace fans. He was sold to Port Vale because he wasn't rated by Venables, who also didn't think much of Hriedarsson.
 

Marcus Bent

Bent was quality and lets be fair about it he was young and lacked experience when he played for us. I back him to do well in the premiership, he is only 23. Has scored 4 goals from 8 starts in a bottom of the table side. My mate at Sheff Utd thought he was superb for them
 

Marcus Bent

Met some lasses from Blackburn yesterday who were also sad to see him go
 

Marcus Bent

You've got to remember he was only very young when he came into the first team, you've got to expect a bit of inconsistency from younger players. Sometimes I think Brentford fans expect too much of our youngsters. I thought the stick he got was well out of order but I also suspect that David Webb probably wasn't the right sort of manager to get the best out of him.
 

Marcus Bent

He certainly showed talent when he came onto the scene at the end of the season, gave us great expectations for the following year.

I hope he does well for the tractor boys but six clubs before he's passed 23 says something unless he's been dead unlucky. I wonder if the moody and indifferent attitude he seemed to show towards the end of his period with us underlies a problem.
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stanley:
He certainly showed talent when he came onto the scene at the end of the season, gave us great expectations for the following year.

I hope he does well for the tractor boys but six clubs before he's passed 23 says something unless he's been dead unlucky. I wonder if the moody and indifferent attitude he seemed to show towards the end of his period with us underlies a problem.
</font>

And each club has made a profit on him, so his price is continually going up which must surely mean he's pretty good and still only 23!
I think you will also find that Crystal Palace, Port Vale & Sheff Utd sold him only because of their financial difficulties when assets had to be sold.
Where have I heard that one before?
 

Marcus Bent

Was Webb the manager when Bent was sold ?
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bigmac:
Was Webb the manager when Bent was sold ?</font>
No. He was owner, money-taker etc. Micky Adams was the manager.
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr Cynical:
Sometimes I think Brentford fans expect too much of our youngsters. </font>

Ain't that the truth. Willo is going that way although he cannot get in the team
 

Marcus Bent

I think you'll find we're the only club who sold him for any kind of negative reason.
I think he's been one very lucky boy, without much doubt.
 

Marcus Bent

I just remembered the impact he made when he first went to palace - awesome.
That cross shot goal against Liverpool like Van Basten's on the Euro Championship final - the stuff that dreams are made of.
Saying all that, I thought he was w*nk for us, and that 300k was reasonably decent money. Ok, so I'm not always right.
 

Marcus Bent

He is knocking in a few for Ipswich at the moment so much so i've put him in my dream team !!
 

Marcus Bent

I think he got a lot of stick because people felt he was too one-footed (right-footed, that is) to play on the left wing, because he always had to cut inside to cross the ball.
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yateleybee:
I'm sure, unless my memory is failing me,(again), that he scored the first goal of a cup tie against a non-league team,Farnboro?, thus winning me a nice little drink.</font>

That's right, in his second ever appearence. Sadly we were to only draw that game 1-1, but we won the replay 4-0, Grainger spooned a penalty (which would have made it 5-0) into a tree!
 

Marcus Bent

What a cracking goal today! Shame thye had to lose to the team from Manchester I almost hate the most.
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Twyford Bee:
That's right, in his second ever appearence. Sadly we were to only draw that game 1-1, but we won the replay 4-0, Grainger spooned a penalty (which would have made it 5-0) into a tree!</font>

My mind may be playing tricks cos i was at the game, but wasnt it live on sky and there was a shot of Bernie in the Farnboro end being very loud with a massive empty space around him where you would normally expect the farnborough fans to be!?
 

Marcus Bent

yes dave. i still have the game on video (it was on sky) and i think bernie had his dog with him (spike i think). he is getting loads of stick from their fans and doesnt give a fu(k!! classic.
 

Marcus Bent

Marcus is the Premiership Player of the month for January. Well done Marcus !!!
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bigmac:
Marcus is the Premiership Player of the month for January. Well done Marcus !!!</font>

I'll agree with that. If he can keep that form up he'll turn into a quality player
 

Marcus Bent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brook Roader:
yes dave. i still have the game on video (it was on sky) and i think bernie had his dog with him (spike i think). he is getting loads of stick from their fans and doesnt give a fu(k!! classic. </font>

You mean Seargeant...not Spike me finks
 
Back
Top Bottom