michael dobson

mhead bee

Well-known member
Joined
7 Apr 2000
Messages
35,934
Reaction score
18,320
Location
Maidenhead

michael dobson

I was watching the game versus barnet and tuesday and just thought to myself what a bloody good player dobbo is!

He may not be the fastest at times but for all round ability he is two footed, he has a great first touch, plenty of skill to get around players, excellent crosser of the ball. Just to add to that he is remarkably consistent and just seems to do everything right. The most impressive part is his abilty to really get up and attack a ball for a header. I reckon he could play in any position on the pitch and wonder whether we are wasting him at right back..will we ever know?
 

michael dobson

Yes - we are wasting talent. Other teams must shake their head at wonder that our best pure ball player is playing right back. As you say, the closest we have to the full package of skills, and we instead use Hutchinson in the middle of the park because he can head a ball and, er, that's it! :rolleyes:


mhead bee said:
I was watching the game versus barnet and tuesday and just thought to myself what a bloody good player dobbo is!

He may not be the fastest at times but for all round ability he is two footed, he has a great first touch, plenty of skill to get around players, excellent crosser of the ball. Just to add to that he is remarkably consistent and just seems to do everything right. The most impressive part is his abilty to really get up and attack a ball for a header. I reckon he could play in any position on the pitch and wonder whether we are wasting him at right back..will we ever know?
 

michael dobson

Re: Re: michael dobson

Boston Bee said:
Yes - we are wasting talent. Other teams must shake their head at wonder that our best pure ball player is playing right back. As you say, the closest we have to the full package of skills, and we instead use Hutchinson in the middle of the park because he can head a ball and, er, that's it! :rolleyes:

:wave: Welcome etc. etc......
 

michael dobson

Re: Re: michael dobson

Boston Bee said:
Yes - we are wasting talent. Other teams must shake their head at wonder that our best pure ball player is playing right back. As you say, the closest we have to the full package of skills, and we instead use Hutchinson in the middle of the park because he can head a ball and, er, that's it! :rolleyes:

you're quite knowledgeable for an American aren't you? :D
 

michael dobson

Dobbo for midfield here here all in favour and all that. but who plays at right back ?
 

michael dobson

Are you saying he actually PASSED a ball that reached one of our own players?

With exception of the last two games I think Dobbo has been one of the most dissapointing players of the season so far?
 

michael dobson

Greenholme Bee said:
Are you saying he actually PASSED a ball that reached one of our own players?

With exception of the last two games I think Dobbo has been one of the most dissapointing players of the season so far?

I agree with this to some extent but maybe its the position he is playing in that is limiting him. He always seems to look for the right backs easy ball out over the top yet when he pushes further up the pitch the quality of his passing and crossing seems to improve. I also remember him being a forward earlier in his career, did anyone see him play there?
 

michael dobson

I know he is prone to the hoof, especially from within 30 yards of his own goal. But I think this is a combination of direct orders from Mr. Downes and that when he looks up O'Connor and Hutch are playing as deep as him and Rougier is spectating. Until he's further up field he never has much in the way of options.

From midfield-forward his passing is better than anything else our back 4 provides (or is that damning with faint praise?!?).

Greenholme Bee said:
Are you saying he actually PASSED a ball that reached one of our own players?

With exception of the last two games I think Dobbo has been one of the most dissapointing players of the season so far?
 

michael dobson

Re: Re: Re: michael dobson

dude . forreal back the **** off

Markybee said:
you're quite knowledgeable for an American aren't you? :D
 

michael dobson

Greenholme Bee said:
Are you saying he actually PASSED a ball that reached one of our own players?

With exception of the last two games I think Dobbo has been one of the most dissapointing players of the season so far?

no it isn't.. we were sh*te versus barnet in the main until we went downhill.

What I am saying is he is the most naturally gifted "natural" footballer in our squad and has probably been one of the most consistent players over the last 2-3 years!

I think his ability to use two feet, head, pass and cross would enable him to play in any position on a football pitch and maybe we have yet to discover his most effective position!
 

michael dobson

Silly man! The most "naturally gifted `natural' player" in the current squad (chuckles at that comment) is Tommy Wright, why do you continue to post such rot?

As for your controversial claim that Dobson has been "one of the most consistent players over the last 2-3 years", that may have something to do with the fact that he is the only player at the club who has played consistently over that period. (Rolls eyes)
 
Last edited:

michael dobson

Given the generally poor start we have had I think he is having a pretty decent season so far.

Many of our attacking moves eminate from him and I would look at his long balls as decent long passes rather than just hoofs, he puts a skillful spin on many of his long passes that I think just get taken for granted.

The consistency of his crossing and corner kicks puts others to shame.
 

michael dobson

wanderingbee said:
Dobbo for midfield here here all in favour and all that. but who plays at right back ?

Danny Allen-Page.....had a bilnder for the stiffs the other night ....apparently........i know he is young but why not give him a go ?
 

michael dobson

He has started the season well, after an average season last season. He is one of our best players and I think that this season will be his best for the club, and with Hunt having a poor season so far this could be vital. I would still like to see him in central midfield orat left-back, where we are weaker, if only for a trial period.
 

michael dobson

Re: Re: Re: Re: michael dobson

Boston Bee said:
dude . forreal back the **** off

:D :D :D :D

blimey, GSOH too

:idea:

Are you quite sure you are a Yank?:confused: :D
 

michael dobson

Edmundo said:
I think he was quoting yankee bees girlie! :D

I know Ed. That's why it was funny:rolleyes:

Keep up will ya:wave:

(Hope your dogs aren't that slow):D :D
 

michael dobson

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: michael dobson

And it is that sort of quick wittedness that Mr Merchant and Mr Gervais are particularly keen on.
:D

Markybee said:
:D :D :D :D

blimey, GSOH too

:idea:

Are you quite sure you are a Yank?:confused: :D

Yes sadly, though in a few months I'll technically be one of youse.
 

michael dobson

Yes, then I'll be eligible for all the generous benefits here! :bound:

...I...can...feel...the...desire...to...work...slipping...from...me... :zzzzz:



Markybee said:
:D :D :D :D

Welcome to British Citizenship.........
 

michael dobson

AndyT of BFC said:
Danny Allen-Page.....had a bilnder for the stiffs the other night ....apparently........i know he is young but why not give him a go ?


prone to the odd mistake (who isn't) a much better player than the right midfielder he was 2 seasons ago...
 

michael dobson

I think he has gone steadily downhill since breaking into the first team. He was brilliant in the LDV final season, good in the play-off season, erratic to say the least last season and pretty poor this season. His insistence on hoofing the ball down the line at every god given opportunity drives me to distraction and then he has the nerve to moan about the forwards not holding the ball up - try playing it into their ****ing feet!
 

michael dobson

Stanley said:

The consistency of his crossing and corner kicks puts others to shame.

I admit that this is the strongest part of his game (crossing from decent positions, not mindless hoofs down the wing) and it's through his crossing and set-pieces that he contributes most to the team.
 
Back
Top Bottom