Midfield Presence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midfield Presence

It is but we still need improvement from the third midfielder. I like Nico and he has done well this season (and on occasions, like last Tuesday, been very good), but, if we are to challenge, he needs to step up another 10/15 per cent (especially in his passing) or we need better.

Nico is still carrying a problematic injury
 

Midfield Presence

It is but we still need improvement from the third midfielder. I like Nico and he has done well this season (and on occasions, like last Tuesday, been very good), but, if we are to challenge, he needs to step up another 10/15 per cent (especially in his passing) or we need better.

IMO if I can be a little critical of one aspect of Sunday's game which was brilliant entertainment, it was that Smith was 15 mins too late in bringing on Macca. Nico didn't seem right all evening as he wasn't winning tackles or getting in the game. Maybe it's his injury. We were being overrun in mid. When Macca came on he did well in mid until he had to play full back to replace Tom. On the basis of what I saw in that small cameo and in the absence of an alternative,he is good enough to be our defensive anchor. I would start him at Preston and give Nico a rest.
 

Midfield Presence

IMO if I can be a little critical of one aspect of Sunday's game which was brilliant entertainment, it was that Smith was 15 mins too late in bringing on Macca. Nico didn't seem right all evening as he wasn't winning tackles or getting in the game. Maybe it's his injury. We were being overrun in mid. When Macca came on he did well in mid until he had to play full back to replace Tom. On the basis of what I saw in that small cameo and in the absence of an alternative,he is good enough to be our defensive anchor. I would start him at Preston and give Nico a rest.

Josh is our midfield anchor and cant see that changing. Macca dependable back up for Josh.

Dean Smith suddenly emerging as the best head coach in the league will use KK as Nico's back up
:)
 

Midfield Presence

Josh is our midfield anchor and cant see that changing. Macca dependable back up for Josh.

Dean Smith suddenly emerging as the best head coach in the league will use KK as Nico's back up
:)

I agree, think KK is a more than capable back up
 

Midfield Presence

IMO if I can be a little critical of one aspect of Sunday's game which was brilliant entertainment, it was that Smith was 15 mins too late in bringing on Macca. Nico didn't seem right all evening as he wasn't winning tackles or getting in the game. Maybe it's his injury. We were being overrun in mid. When Macca came on he did well in mid until he had to play full back to replace Tom. On the basis of what I saw in that small cameo and in the absence of an alternative,he is good enough to be our defensive anchor. I would start him at Preston and give Nico a rest.

I agree. Nico hasn't been the same lately, generally speaking, even if he still has some good moments. If he really is struggling with something I'd rather rest him for a bit and let him get back to 100% than keep pushing it.
 

Midfield Presence

Josh is our midfield anchor and cant see that changing. Macca dependable back up for Josh.

Dean Smith suddenly emerging as the best head coach in the league will use KK as Nico's back up
:)

I'm talking about physicality when I said 'anchor'. However I have to say that Josh did make two tackles which were tasty ;) KK won't give us that although he has bags of running and is direct. We were getting overrun and needed a presence.
 

Midfield Presence

Nico is still carrying a problematic injury

How does this affect his passing? I would be happy to be proven wrong, but even 100 per cent fit, I doubt Nico is quite good enough if we want to be play off/top two challengers.
 

Midfield Presence

Funny how people see things differently. I think he's playing very well even though carrying the injury. Getting some good shots in too.
 

Midfield Presence

Midfield is doing well, we've had a good week.

But there is no strength in depth. KK hasn't proved himself despite the goal yesterday, well he hasn't had the chance so we've no idea if he can step up to the required level on a regular basis.

AM is coming to the end.

So we need more central midfield options in the summer. The teams at the top have quality and quantity.

At the moment, if Woods got injured who would play?
 

Midfield Presence

Did I read something that said Nico's injury was something that flared up sporadically with little warning, consequently he could be fine all game, or only part, or not start. If this is so, I don't think resting will be the cure: not until they can diagnose the problem and treat that rather than the symptoms.
 

Midfield Presence

Exactly. We're short and 2 good performances doesn't change that.

Well you're a bundle of fun. KK waits nearly a year to get a chance after playing well towards the end of last season. Comes in and does well in 2 games and you want to right him off as even a back up. Give the bloke a break. And a fit Macca continues to be more than adequate as he also demonstrated on Sunday.
 

Midfield Presence

Barbet can also come in as midfield anchor if needed and there are some good players in the B team who would love to get a chance esp as the season can probably already be written off as mid-table stability
 

Midfield Presence

This isn't to slag the club or players off, I've been fully behind MB since what happened with Warburton and believe that we've got good grounds for a squad to flourish with all the young talent we're buying.

However, I can't help but feel we lack a proper box to box midfielder. Part of the reason we were so successful under Warbs was because of Jonathan Douglas and Toumani Diagouraga, I understand why they left and why they were sold, but we've just not replaced them. I'm not a fan of Yennaris, whenever I've seen him he's just been clumsy and gives the ball aaway. McEachran doesn't offer much, the only midfielder I rate properly is Woods who is a class above.

Dougie and Dave were both physically brilliant, strong, sprinted all over the pitch but wee class on the ball also. Our midfield lacks that now.

Been one of our better players since xmas.
 

Midfield Presence

It's worth bearing in mind that Tiomani and Jonathan Douglas were both mature players. Both pretty unique with it. Our midfielders are young. McCeachran is much stronger than he was and willing to show aggression. I can't quite see why people are down on Nico. I'll have another look at Preston. Perhaps we won't need 'an enforcer' if we just keep running rings round the opposition.
 

Midfield Presence

Perhaps we won't need 'an enforcer' if we just keep running rings round the opposition.
Perhaps it's the opposition that will need the enforcers! Actually, despite reports to the contrary, McEachran puts in some hefty challenges. He's the only player at Chelsea that pinned Willian (and left him beating the turf) and his two tackles leading to the 3rd goal against Villa left both players calling for a foul. He just needs to do it a bit more.
 

Midfield Presence

Well having posted that 'Lack Of' needed to be inserted in front of the thread title 10 or say days ago can I now post we appear to have acquired plenty of it. Well done D'soF and Deano.
 

Midfield Presence

Bit too early to be confident of that.
Barbet can also come in as midfield anchor if needed and there are some good players in the B team who would love to get a chance esp as the season can probably already be written off as mid-table stability
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom