Minute's silence

Minute's silence

I respect the loss of ALL LIFE Nick and salute all people who are brave. Do not find mass hysteria attractive. I give a lot to charity albeit animal charity only. I afraid people in uniforms carrying guns sicken me when they are doing it in someone elses country amd have a licence to commit mayhem whilst thosecwho cause the conflict or direct sit brhind a desk and thenvwaffle about brave men. In none of this do I find respect only arms testing and greed and corruption.
 

Minute's silence

There is no bait. If you don't respect the sacrifice of the dead of 2 World Wars then no one can help you.

:sorted:

Also remember how those people were thrown into a situation that none of us could ever begin to comprehend (save any former or current service personnel) a large number just mere boys. Could you or I survive seeing people blown apart by shells or stick a bayonnet in someone? Probably not.
**** politics, **** political correctness, these guys were thrown into a situation where I am not ashamed to admit I would most likely curl up in a ball and cry for my mum! Watch "Saving Private Ryan" many veterans said that the opening sequence was so real they couldn't watch it. If you have the balls to run up a beach to almost certain death let us know.
The ultimate respect for the ultimate sacrifice.
 

Minute's silence

I respect the loss of ALL LIFE Nick and salute all people who are brave. Do not find mass hysteria attractive. I give a lot to charity albeit animal charity only. I afraid people in uniforms carrying guns sicken me when they are doing it in someone elses country amd have a licence to commit mayhem whilst thosecwho cause the conflict or direct sit brhind a desk and thenvwaffle about brave men. In none of this do I find respect only arms testing and greed and corruption.

So we should not have fought against Germany then ?
 

Minute's silence

I respect the loss of ALL LIFE Nick and salute all people who are brave. Do not find mass hysteria attractive. I give a lot to charity albeit animal charity only. I afraid people in uniforms carrying guns sicken me when they are doing it in someone elses country amd have a licence to commit mayhem whilst thosecwho cause the conflict or direct sit brhind a desk and thenvwaffle about brave men. In none of this do I find respect only arms testing and greed and corruption.

how can you be sickened by the uniforms etc by what people went through to give us what we got now without a hitler regieme! you dont have to agree with the likes of whats going on now politically but its about those who are going through what they are to keep you safe and like i said and what nick is saying what happened in the ww1 and 2.

My step daughter is in the caddetts and yesterday did herself and our families by parading in hounslow and was selected to place a reef. and then she came to her step brothers bday in her uniform and the amount of respect she got from all of us and those in the resturant was top draw!
 

Minute's silence

I give a lot to charity albeit animal charity only. I afraid people in uniforms carrying guns sicken me when they are doing it in someone elses country amd have a licence to commit mayhem whilst thosecwho cause the conflict or direct sit brhind a desk and thenvwaffle about brave men.

Thank God for our Armed Forces and thank God for our medical research (amongst other) charities, I say. Where would we be without them?
 

Minute's silence

the discussion could be endless but this not the place and I dont understand this fixation about Gernany
 

Minute's silence

the discussion could be endless but this not the place and I dont understand this fixation about Gernany

rofl That will be the country we fought in 2 World wars and the question of respecting those who died fighting them which is what this thread is about.
 

Minute's silence

rofl That will be the country we fought in 2 World wars and the question of respecting those who died fighting them which is what this thread is about.

:wave:

god im not saying anything else pmsl in an annoyed way
 

Minute's silence

I'm really having to bite my tongue reading your posts moribee. Everything you've posted shows a complete lack of respect to all those who served YOUR country in two world wars. This isn't about recent conflicts, it's about the people who gave their lives to give you the life you have today.
 

Minute's silence

the discussion could be endless but this not the place and I dont understand this fixation about Gernany
You may be correct about the discussion... but what did happen at 11am on the 11-11-1918 in a railway carriage, then?

Wilfred Owen said:
The old lie...
For me, that's what it is all about.
 

Minute's silence

I respect the loss of ALL LIFE Nick and salute all people who are brave. Do not find mass hysteria attractive. I give a lot to charity albeit animal charity only. I afraid people in uniforms carrying guns sicken me when they are doing it in someone elses country amd have a licence to commit mayhem whilst thosecwho cause the conflict or direct sit brhind a desk and thenvwaffle about brave men. In none of this do I find respect only arms testing and greed and corruption.

No, I agree that moribee may be a pacifist and sees all violence as wrong. If that is the case he does not have to be the 'norm' as it were and participate in the silence. That is his OPINION, and though you don't have to agree, it is the truth that he can respect whatever traditions he sees fit. I am both an atheist and pro-republic, and although I am patriotic and love my country I find it very uncomfortable to sing the national anthem while the words 'god save the queen' are in it. That doesn't mean I am disrespectful, it is simply my choice which others should allow me to have.

I personally think there should have been a silence, but it doesn't irk me that there wasn't one. It doesn't make me remember the fallen any less just because there wasn't a public place for me to display my respect.

Is it disrespectful that brentford didn't have a minutes silence on the 13th Nov, which was neither the 11th or remembrance sunday? ...No, because people had ample opportunity to show their respect to our soldiers without getting angry that they didn't have a third time to show it at a football match.

I understand that people may have liked a silence, and I imagine the club will oblige in future, but to say that it was disrespectful deliberately or unintentionally is over the top. The worst it could have been was, absent minded, which isn't anything to get upset over.
 

Minute's silence

i respect my freedoms that was given beating the nazi scum thats why i wear my poppy
 

Minute's silence

all power and respect to all your beliefs just please dont try and hoist them on me. This is the wrong forum. I could give u an opnion on ny point if it was the right forum.
 

Minute's silence

all power and respect to all your beliefs just please dont try and hoist them on me. This is the wrong forum. I could give u an opnion on ny point if it was the right forum.

In my opinion you shouldn't foist your poor grammar on anyone! lol I joke I joke
 

Minute's silence

believe it or not I meant foist but its an age thing plus doing it on my mobile:-)
 

Minute's silence

Everyone...calm down, calm down!!

Yes, there should be a minutes silence (didn't it used to be 2 mins?) on Armistace Day at 11 am. but definately NOT on Sat. 13th. November at 3pm.

Successive governments since the war have refused to make 11/11 a public holiday so the nearest Sunday to the 11th suffices for our rememberance.

We have a similar day here in Greece, (Οχι Μερα) which translates to 'No! Day'.
It's the day the Greek government said No! to Italy's offer of joinig them in the war. The day is to celebrate blanking the eye-ties (they don't like 'em here!) and also to remember the people who subsequently died and suffered in the war and under German and Italian occupation.

It's a national holiday with parades and Greek flags in abundance, it's always on the 28th Oct. regardless of a working day or not.
 

Minute's silence

Thank God for our Armed Forces and thank God for our medical research (amongst other) charities, I say. Where would we be without them?

It would be a lot better if our enemies dressed as animals.Then at least we would know we can call upon you to shoot them
 

Minute's silence

the country that twice were the cause of world wars

your comments on this thread disgust me.

not necessarily the first world war :wave: there were other countries who started the 'war', Germany and GB entered because of certain treaties at the time meant we/they had an obligation to back other countries ................but this is off topic now. :sorted: maybe i do know some history after all.............. :rolleyes:
 

Minute's silence

not necessarily the first world war :wave: there were other countries who started the 'war', Germany and GB entered because of certain treaties at the time meant we/they had an obligation to back other countries ................but this is off topic now. :sorted: maybe i do know some history after all.............. :rolleyes:


ok,a major factor int the 1st,and a super force of the 1st.STILL the enemy of the 1st
ive never knocked your knowledge on history? seems you are getting your posts mixed up again:( ! or mis-quoting again !! :D:rolleyes:;):tongue:

anyway

:backtotopic:
 

Minute's silence

Surely we fought these wars so that we could have the right not to agree on things like this?

Personally I always like to wear a poppy. I find the Remembrance ceremony at the Cenotaph incredibly moving & try to watch it every year. I seperate my political dislike of some of our recent wars from the soldiers who have to fight them who have more courage than I'll ever have.

However that's purely a personal thing because as the free citizen of a free country that's my right. It would be wrong imho to make people pay lip service to these thing through peer pressure. I don't agree with moribee but he's perfectly entitled to his opinion.
 

Minute's silence

Surely we fought these wars so that we could have the right not to agree on things like this?

Personally I always like to wear a poppy. I find the Remembrance ceremony at the Cenotaph incredibly moving & try to watch it every year. I seperate my political dislike of some of our recent wars from the soldiers who have to fight them who have more courage than I'll ever have.

However that's purely a personal thing because as the free citizen of a free country that's my right. It would be wrong imho to make people pay lip service to these thing through peer pressure. I don't agree with moribee but he's perfectly entitled to his opinion.

i agree with most.
no one wants war but there are times such as why we remember that you have to fight fire with fire for the greater good and that is why everyone should remember,not through peer pressure but out of sheer respect,nothing else.
comments that have been made by him on here i find just simply wrong and insulting to those that died for his freedom at the end of the day
 

Minute's silence

am not convinced war is the answer for anything but more to the point celebrating it is questionable for me but respect your right to do so as I said earlier. As a country we hadlittle to be proud of but thats just my opinion. GP on Sat 13th at 1500 is not right place to celebrate political decisions and shocking misuse of public money. Just my opinion night night love you all
 

Minute's silence

am not convinced war is the answer for anything but more to the point celebrating it is questionable for me but respect your right to do so as I said earlier. As a country we hadlittle to be proud of but thats just my opinion. GP on Sat 13th at 1500 is not right place to celebrate political decisions and shocking misuse of public money. Just my opinion night night love you all

With respect Mori, it has nothing to do with celebrating. It is about remembering and paying your respects to those brave men and women who gave their lives for our country, many of whom were not much more than children and who must've experienced horrors that few if any of us could possibly imagine.
 

Minute's silence

So what do you think would have happenend if we didnt go to war with them ?

war isnt ideal but is sadly sometimes neccessary.and remembrance day,and such like,are not celebrating the war but is in remembrance and honouring of the lives lost in those necessary wars.As a country we have a lot to be proud of,those who we are remembering for giving us the freedom we have.i find Your comments are sickening and higly offensive to those who fought in those wars which my family have served in both,like every family in the country.comments like yours are not needed when others are rightfully showing respect.Opinions like yours are un-needed,un-wanted and dis-respectful
 
Last edited:

Minute's silence

erm, I didn't start the thread. I was adding my opinion. Sorry, I thought that was what the GPG was all about :confused: But thanks for your opinion anyway. Useful as a chocolate teapot.

With due respect I've met him....and can safely say that's disrespectful to chocolate teapots:nono:;)
 

Minute's silence

Anyway fair play to the club for owning up to their error. Could have been worse.
Check out Airdrie FC's faux pas !
 

Minute's silence

Moribee didn't say anything direspectful, he has his opinion and you have yours.

And as for you saying what would have happened if we didn't fight ze germans I direct you to gandhi's quote 'When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.'

All he said was the football match didn't need the minutes silence, it wasn't the 11th, and it certainly wasn't remembrance Sunday. Jeez how upset are some people? Did Brentford FC and moribee turn up and take a dump on your poppies or something?
 

Minute's silence

Moribee didn't say anything direspectful, he has his opinion and you have yours.

And as for you saying what would have happened if we didn't fight ze germans I direct you to gandhi's quote 'When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.'

All he said was the football match didn't need the minutes silence, it wasn't the 11th, and it certainly wasn't remembrance Sunday. Jeez how upset are some people? Did Brentford FC and moribee turn up and take a dump on your poppies or something?

I think you'll find it was the veiled criticism of the Remembrance Day concept or the assertion that it is in some way a celebration of war that's upset people actually. And I'm sorry if I offend easily but I'm afraid I find your suggestion that if we hadn't gone to war with Germany it would all have been alright in the end all a bit cras really. Sorry. :shrug:
 

Minute's silence

Moribee didn't say anything direspectful, he has his opinion and you have yours.

And as for you saying what would have happened if we didn't fight ze germans I direct you to gandhi's quote 'When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.'

All he said was the football match didn't need the minutes silence, it wasn't the 11th, and it certainly wasn't remembrance Sunday. Jeez how upset are some people? Did Brentford FC and moribee turn up and take a dump on your poppies or something?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

Minute's silence

Do you think us military personnel really care about the politicians they make decisions that cost people hundreds of jobs etc everyday . I joined up because I made lots of friends , gained qualifications , structure and experiences . My main concern in Afghanistan was doing the best I could for the people around me and ultimately helping to improve the infrastrucure for the Afghan people . I helped setup the main Afghan army base in the south of the country so in esence we are helping them to help themselves ,which hopefully means we won't be there in the future .

Anyway its moving to see so many people care about rememberance and as long as you remember in what ever shape or form that is all that really matters and of course passing on the history to the future generations so they realise that war is wrong but unfortunately sometimes unavoidable .

Rant over ,back to the football or should that be hoofball ?
 

Minute's silence

Northwales, just ignore the 1 of over 5,000 GPGers. I appreciate everything you do for us and the country. All credit to you and I remember the ultimate sacrifice your mates have made and you yet may make. It's nothing to do with politics or religion, just ignore the ignorant. 99.9% percent of the country is behind you regardless of religion, political hue or anything else.
 

Minute's silence

I think you'll find it was the veiled criticism of the Remembrance Day concept or the assertion that it is in some way a celebration of war that's upset people actually. And I'm sorry if I offend easily but I'm afraid I find your suggestion that if we hadn't gone to war with Germany it would all have been alright in the end all a bit cras really. Sorry. :shrug:

Not my argument I agree with us fighting the germans (in WWII only), it was gandhi's and come on how can you call him crass? I personally think that World War II was one of the only examples in history that actually fits the criteria of being a just war. Of course we should have fought, but using the age old anti-pacifist argument of calling someone (moribee in this case) a 'coward who wouldnt have stood up to the nazis' is pretty lame, its not like any of us actually fought in WWII and have the right to say it.

Perhaps football matches aren't the place to pay our respect to the British soldiers that died, who knows... perhaps they are, I am not a philospher. If moribee has his opinion, so be it, he has been pretty reserved and he is entitled to it.
 

Minute's silence

Northwales, just ignore the 1 of over 5,000 GPGers. I appreciate everything you do for us and the country. All credit to you and I remember the ultimate sacrifice your mates have made and you yet may make. It's nothing to do with politics or religion, just ignore the ignorant. 99.9% percent of the country is behind you regardless of religion, political hue or anything else.

:sorted:
 

Minute's silence

It would be a lot better if our enemies dressed as animals.Then at least we would know we can call upon you to shoot them

My success rate is about 1 in 20. London would be full of Germans/Al Quaeda/antis if it fell on my shoulders to dispose of them :)
 

Minute's silence

Do you think us military personnel really care about the politicians they make decisions that cost people hundreds of jobs etc everyday . I joined up because I made lots of friends , gained qualifications , structure and experiences . My main concern in Afghanistan was doing the best I could for the people around me and ultimately helping to improve the infrastrucure for the Afghan people . I helped setup the main Afghan army base in the south of the country so in esence we are helping them to help themselves ,which hopefully means we won't be there in the future .

Anyway its moving to see so many people care about rememberance and as long as you remember in what ever shape or form that is all that really matters and of course passing on the history to the future generations so they realise that war is wrong but unfortunately sometimes unavoidable .

Rant over ,back to the football or should that be hoofball ?

Enough said.

:cool:
 

Minute's silence

am not convinced war is the answer for anything but more to the point celebrating it is questionable for me but respect your right to do so as I said earlier. As a country we hadlittle to be proud of but thats just my opinion. GP on Sat 13th at 1500 is not right place to celebrate political decisions and shocking misuse of public money. Just my opinion night night love you all

sorry moribee but i dont think your getting what people are saying to you or the point of the thread... Basically its about respect to those who have died or willing to for people like yourself. you might not agree with war but SURELY you are grateful to those who have died for may be not you directly but previous generations of your family.

On my travels i have visisted grave yards around europe and shanty towns where you can still see bullet holes from the war and it makes the hairs on your back tingle, and some of the ages that are on those gravestones made my eyes tearful... may be you need to go to visit one of these places if you already havent and get a slight feel of what many Britains, europeans and Indians went through to give us the freedom we have today!
 

Minute's silence

As the club have made a small announcement on here, surely it's 'thread closed' ??

If those that don't wish to honour and remember the fallen, injured, maimed etc then that's their own opinion.

I believe everyone should make at least one journey to wootton bassett to honour those that return to these shores who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
 

Minute's silence

And as for you saying what would have happened if we didn't fight ze germans I direct you to gandhi's quote 'When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.'

So Ze German bombers would have got bored of bombing the crap out of us eventually? Or the 109's would have tootled back to France if we asked them nicely? Jeez
 

Minute's silence

Northwales, just ignore the 1 of over 5,000 GPGers. I appreciate everything you do for us and the country. All credit to you and I remember the ultimate sacrifice your mates have made and you yet may make. It's nothing to do with politics or religion, just ignore the ignorant. 99.9% percent of the country is behind you regardless of religion, political hue or anything else.

Great post
 
Back
Top Bottom