My Dad RIP

NorthamptonBee

Yes Boss
Joined
29 Mar 2003
Messages
42,455
Reaction score
10,107
Location
Northampton

My Dad RIP

I'm sitting here on my own in a lovely church setting in Duston, Northampton, he is currently being cremated down there in Surrey, I can't be there for various reasons but I do know that I was the closest person that he ever had in his life, I still can't and don't want to be there as I'd create a sideshow on his farewell. He was a decent person who had a very hard upbringing, he was driven to succeed and generally did but IMO it cost him happiness but earnt him millions of pounds. I think he always loved mum but he made her life and my sister's and my early life hell, he scared and hurt us, he was unpredictable and controlling, he also supported Fulham which in later life provided me with an answer as to why he was hurting.....we got through the early years and with me at the ripe old age of 11 he finally and thankfully left our home, he damaged my older sister beyond repair, he'd made my mum question relationships but I still had a chance, a few months later he asked to see me on a Monday night and could we make it a regular thing, I agreed and I found myself sitting in a car and opposite a man I barely recognised, he was charming, kind and thoughtful, I liked him, he apologised to me constantly and I always told him to forget it even though deep down I knew I would always remember the fear I felt and that although I was highly academic and represented, borough, town and in some cases county at sport that he told me for years that I was a useless waste of time. We formed a relationship, he was never my hero but we became mates, I played in the same football team as him, he was crap and I loved hearing people asking how the hell was John Casey was getting another start and the banter was that his 13 year old son was with him and there was the reason, I felt a power shift and he fear was gone. We went on month long holidays to the States, Belguim and Yugoskavia amongst others but cracks started to appear, my move to Northampton was crucial to these cracks starting, he wanted me to take over the business, he'd built it for me he said, the latter bit was a lie, he'd done well but it was all about him. I knew we'd last 2 weeks at most together in business as I couldn't be bossed by him again, in fact I can't be bossed by anyone, my first 10 years dictate that, we would have gone horribly wrong. He had a ropey time with his business and found whiskey was the cure, this led to him telling me what a failure I was on many a drunken phone call and how I would bring up worthless kids too, this went on for a few years and that it became far too regular and I wasn't going to allow him to trample all over me again. I last saw him at his mother's funeral, I shook his hand, he was going to ignore me, we had a chat at the wake, I said goodbye, he wanted more, it was like a marriage to me, I'd forgiven loads, we worked it out by IMO it was over, the trust had gone, I'm sure I was no angel in every part of this whole mess but I feel no guilt at being 100 miles away from his funeral but wish things had been different and that I was making a speech about the nicer times today, thank you for listening and I'm going up wander back home and get back into the real world.

RIP Dad.
 
Last edited:

My Dad RIP

I'm sitting here on my own in a lovely church setting in Duston, Northampton, he is currently being cremated down there in Surrey, I can't be there for various reasons but I do know that I was the closest person that he ever had in his life, I still can't and don't want to be there as I'd create a sideshow on his farewell. He was a decent person who had a very hard upbringing, he was driven to succeed and generally did but IMO it cost him happiness but earnt him millions of pounds. I think he always loved mum but he made her life and my sister's and my early life he'll, he acted us, he was unpredictable and controlling, he also supported Fulham which in later life provided me with an answer as to why he was hurting.....we got through the early years and with me at the ripe old age of 11 he finally and thankfully left our home, he damaged my older sister beyond repair, he'd made my mum question relationships but I still had a chance, a few months later he asked to see me on a Monday night and could we make it a regular thing, I agreed and I found myself sitting in a car and opposite a man I barely recognised, he was charming, kind and thoughtful, I liked him, he apologised to me constantly and I always told him to forget it even though deep down I knew I would always remember the fear I felt and that although I was highly academic and represented, borough, town and in some cases county at sport that he told me for years that I was a useless waste of time. We formed a relationship, he was never my hero but we became mates, I played in the same football team as him, he was crap and I loved hearing people asking how the hell was John Casey was getting another start and the banter was that his 13 year old son was with him and there was the reason, I felt a power shift and he fear was gone. We went on month long holidays to the States, Belguim and Yugoskavia amongst others but cracks started to appear, my move to move yo move to Northampton was crucial to these cracks starting, he wanted me to take over the business, he'd built it got me he said, the latter bit was a lie, he'd done well but it was all about him. I knew we'd last 2 weeks at most together in business as I couldn't be biased by him again, in fact I can't be bossed by anyone, my first 10 years dictate that, we would have gone horribly wrong. He had a ropey time with his business and found whiskey was the cure, this led yo him telling me what a failure I was on many a drunken phone call and how I would bring up worthless kids too, this went on for a few years and that it became far too regular and I wasn't going to allow him to trample all over me again. I last saw him at his mother's funeral, I shook his hand, he was going to ignore me, we had a chat at the wake, I said goodbye, he wanted more, it was like a marriage to me, I'd forgiven loads, we worked it out by IMO it was over, the trust had gone, I'm sure I was no angel in every part of this whole mess but I feel no guilt at being 100 miles away from his funeral but wish things had been different and that I was making a speech about the nicer times today, thank you for listening and I'm going up wander back home and get back into the real world.

RIP Dad.
Fair play Northamptonbee, thoughts are with you matey
 

My Dad RIP

You're a brave man NB.....hope your dad finds peace now not in this world.
 

My Dad RIP

Don't really know what to say to you. What you've already said shows your dealing with this difficult time. I don't know you but I've a feeling from what you've written that your a good man, never let what's happened to you change that. Good luck.
 

My Dad RIP

Know how you feel, and can sympathise with you as I was in a similar situation myself a good few years back, good job we both live in the real world supporting BFC, someone has to!!!
 

My Dad RIP

From the heart NB......I read twice....thoughts winging their way from Narfuk.......pint at Rovrum for 'ya?
 
Last edited:

My Dad RIP

Thinking of you mate. A tough time. RIP
 

My Dad RIP

Wow well done for writing that NB... and letting it all out.... sounds like a hell of a journey you have both been on.

My thoughts are with you... and RIP to your Dad.
 

My Dad RIP

Hope getting that off your chest has proved therapeutic.
 

My Dad RIP

Bravely and sadly written.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time for different reasons than usual.
 

My Dad RIP

Sorry to hear of your loss, even if your relationship with your dad was somewhat complicated. RIP.
 

My Dad RIP

Very moving words that I hope gave you some comfort sharing with people that will both understand & empathise.Sending best wishes to you at what must be a very difficult time.Try to remember the good times you shared with your Dad.
 

My Dad RIP

terrifically sad but lovely post. but mainly not lovely :(

Best wishes NB and RIP to your Father :)
 

My Dad RIP

Thoughts with you NB - those are hard, sad words to read. RIP to your father and I hope you find your peace too.
 

My Dad RIP

All the best, NB, it's a milestone and you'll soon be past it; let's hope you can start to look back on it with some distance.
 

My Dad RIP

What a moving, reflective and personally revealing tribute. All credit to you for sharing and hopefully easing the pain. RIP
 

My Dad RIP

Thoughts with you at this time. In time I hope the good memories stay with you and the bad one's fade.
 

My Dad RIP

Thoughts with you NB & I hope your dad RIP.

In time I hope the good memories stay and the bad one's slowly fade away.
 

My Dad RIP

A difficult time ,I hope you are where you want to be ,I wish you and yours all my very best
 

My Dad RIP

Never knowingly met you. You've pissed me off with some sniping at some of my posts (and I hope I've annoyed you back on occasion). But that you can post that on here is a credit to you, to GPG, to BFC. Horrible phrase and my toes curl to use it but it seems to be the right one here - now he's gone, I hope you find 'closure'.

Best wishes.
 

My Dad RIP

Best wishes to you NB, very sad read and you are incredibly brave to share it with us all.

Everyone just want's to feel loved and respected by their parent's but as others have said, hopefully in time you will only remember the good things .

RIP to your Dad.
 

My Dad RIP

sorry to hear this bad news mate, RIP to your dad x
 

My Dad RIP

Took courage to write that mate and I hope that in doing so it will help to bring closure to a difficult relationship. Hope you dad rests in peace and that you will be able to remember the good over the bad.
 

My Dad RIP

Don't know what to say NB.

It must have been a difficult decision for you to make.

Thoughts are with you mate.
 

My Dad RIP

Northamptonbee I was so sorry to read your story. The thought of you sitting alone in that church at such an emotional time will stay with me for a long time. How sad you must have felt with all those many thoughts to contend with. It is always difficult when family breakdown affects children, but at least it would appear that you are able to hang on to the memories of some good times spent with your Dad. There are many who are unable to say even that, and are probably unable to rationalise the past as you are able to. I do hope that eventually the hands of time will allow your wounds to begin to heal. May your Dad Rest in Peace.
 

My Dad RIP

I won't go into details but my life went through what can only be described as a 20 year sh*tstorm and when the cause was no longer present, a whole new world opened up to me. The happiness of you and those you love is what matters.

I hope you find peace.
 

My Dad RIP

Heartfelt, incredibly fair-minded and very moving! Very best wishes at such tough time for you and your family.
 

My Dad RIP

That's a great post NB I'm sorry for your loss..

For me your post just reaffirms my own personal thoughts that no matter who they maybe if there is someone in your life who is a destructive force, as painful as it is you must get away from them. Something along these lines is currently going on between my emotional wreck of a sister and my elderly parents.
 

My Dad RIP

Admirable frankness, which I'm sure is therapeutic for you and good example for many who keep these things bottled up. The things that make us what we are, that we carry around with us. We none of know the other person's inner world do we.
 

My Dad RIP

Bravely written NB,
Really feeling what you are going through having had a messed up and damaging relationship with my mother. It sounds like you have found a way through it which is really difficult. Huge respect and heartfelt best wishes
 

My Dad RIP

Very sad and difficult read. Hope it helps to have put in down in writing and sharing it with the GPG family. I know we are a bunch of idiots most the time but I think we also care alot about our fellow GPGers. Stay strong and RIP NB's dad.
 

My Dad RIP

Its great when this forum is a help for people to express feelings that they may find difficult to show elsewhere. Its almost therapeutic to be able to do this and often to be able to read this kind of post.
We all have problems and carry an ever increasing load of baggage as we go through life and have a tendency to think its only us.
Never met Northampton but you were kind enough to message me and then phone when I was getting myself in a bit of a pickle on here.
Be at peace with your thoughts today
 

My Dad RIP

An i ncredibly insightful assessment. I'm sorry it worked out like that, but maybe it's just right for you. Don't know, but best of luck and RIP your Dad.
 

My Dad RIP

Very hard to read but even harder to write, I guess.
RIP to your dad and my thoughts go with you, Mate.
 

My Dad RIP

Very difficult to read but very brave of you to write. Thinking of you and RIP your dad.
 
Back
Top Bottom