New Orleans

exiledbee

Active member
Joined
4 Jul 2005
Messages
2,683
Reaction score
342
Location
New Orleans Louisiana

New Orleans

Been living here for ten years or so, 15 years in the Deep South. I Love this city, even with it's problems.
Any other Bees in Louisiana, or southern states ?
 

New Orleans

went to new Orleans on a school trip when I was 15.
Camped just outside the city, had a great time.
We were allowed to visit some dodgey places, wouldn't be allowed these days.
 

New Orleans

I was in Bourbon Street this summer, Happy hour: Buy 1 get 2 free !!!!!
 

New Orleans

The fishing is good !!!!!!!!!!!

Will be at LaBurge Dulac November 29th and 30th and hope to bag a Bull Red or two while there.
 

New Orleans

I will be in Baton Rouge February 26th to March 1st 2015 for a conference. If you want to come up and hang for a few days and talk Bees PM me.
 

New Orleans

Did a road trip last year from Miami to New York and was there for Independence Day . It was rocking and interesting to see everyone throwing beads of off the balconies for the ladies to catch on Bourbon Street. Some unsavoury parts to it like anywhere but considering what it has been through with the hurricane katrina in 2005 they are moving forward as a city . Nice vibe to the place .
 
Last edited:

New Orleans

Went to New Orleans in 1992 with Brentford lifeline US holidays.
On the way into the city the coach driver said 'Don't go in areas off Bourbon Street as we have a slight drug problem and even the police won't go there'.
We had just gone to bed but some of our group were still up in the bar of our hotel when a man came past them, went up to the barman brought out a gun and took the evenings takings.
I was a bit disappointed with the bars around the tourist areas. I was expecting loads of smokey places with blues coming out the doors as you walked past,instead many of the places were strip and pole dancing places.
Overall, I was expecting a lot from the place, but was left a tad disappointed.
 

New Orleans

Been living here for ten years or so, 15 years in the Deep South. I Love this city, even with it's problems.
Any other Bees in Louisiana, or southern states ?

Was in New Orleans three years ago and met a locally based Bees fan on the ferry to Algiers - he lived in Algiers and was Ross Montague's uncle. Are you he?
 

New Orleans

For anyone planning a visit to Bourbon Street.

Eat at Sammys, about half way down on the left if walking down from Canal Street.

Can very highly recommend the crab stuffed mushrooms followed by a blackened medium rib eye with twice baked potatoe - they have a few tables outside from which you can watch life go by !!
 

New Orleans

For anyone planning a visit to Bourbon Street.

Eat at Sammys, about half way down on the left if walking down from Canal Street.

Can very highly recommend the crab stuffed mushrooms followed by a blackened medium rib eye with twice baked potatoe - they have a few tables outside from which you can watch life go by !!

Sounds good although there's no e in potato.
 

New Orleans

Hmm, might have to try that Paul, although we are spoiled for choice here !
I love my boiled seafood, we did crabs , shrimp and all the goodies at home last week, mmm, mmmmm.....
 

New Orleans

My wife is from lake charles. We lived in abita springs for 5 years before moving to morocco. Its easier to get to see the bees from morocco than louisana!
 

New Orleans

Ha ha, I'm sure that's true !
Lake Charles ? I'm working on a boat out of Cameron, not far from there.
Not much here, as you might know.
Abita Springs is quite nice. I lived in nearby Covington for a couple of years which isn't bad either. The traffic can be hectic though, due to all the imports and expansion post Katrina.
 

New Orleans

What an enjoyable thread.

The names remind me of 4 or 5 great holidays in The Deep South travelling between Memphis (for my wife to enjoy the Elvis thing) and New Orleans (I like jazz but it is not easy to find in Bourbon Street). Lake Charles, Cameron, Abita Springs, Lafitte, Grand Isle, Houma, the names just flow like the magnificent Mississippi.

I wanted to 'do' the Memphis-New Orleans journey again this year to celebrate my 70th but my wife has persuaded me I would rather go to Menorca! I had even booked and paid for our hotel in Vicksburg for July 4th to enjoy the fireworks over the river.

Oh! Well! I must live at least another year to enjoy the Deep South once again.
 

New Orleans

It is a great place to live, although it does have its problems.
Note, you don't hear of too many people moving up north to retire....
 
Back
Top Bottom