New Supporter?

JohnO

INVALID EMAIL
Joined
2 Oct 2006
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Location
St. Louis, MO. USA

New Supporter?

I recently watched a documentary on the New York Cosmos. That got me into researching my old hometown North American Soccer League team, the St. Louis Stars. I used to go with my dad quite a bit when I was a kid. The Stars' last season was 1977 and one of their players that year was Barry Salvage. I remember the name but I don't remember him as a player. In doing some online research I discovered he played quite a bit for Brentford. If you'll have me, I would like to become a Brentford supporter. Thanks for reading and I look forward to taking part in discussions in the future.

John
 

New Supporter?

I recently watched a documentary on the New York Cosmos. That got me into researching my old hometown North American Soccer League team, the St. Louis Stars. I used to go with my dad quite a bit when I was a kid. The Stars' last season was 1977 and one of their players that year was Barry Salvage. I remember the name but I don't remember him as a player. In doing some online research I discovered he played quite a bit for Brentford. If you'll have me, I would like to become a Brentford supporter. Thanks for reading and I look forward to taking part in discussions in the future.

John

Delighted to welcome you to the Bees. I trust that it's a life-long committment. I vaguely remember Barry Salvage as being a decent enough player though not a star. I'm sure some of the more, ahem, experienced posters on here will give you a fuller appraisal.

BTW - I know it's tacky to ask - you're not a billionaire by any chance are you?
 

New Supporter?

Delighted to welcome you to the Bees. I trust that it's a life-long committment. I vaguely remember Barry Salvage as being a decent enough player though not a star. I'm sure some of the more, ahem, experienced posters on here will give you a fuller appraisal.

BTW - I know it's tacky to ask - you're not a billionaire by any chance are you?


I do remember Barry Salvage. He was a good player, quite a skilful winger, not sure how many times he played but I think he was here a couple of seasons.

Sad thing is, I'm fairly sure I recall that he died young. I think after taking part in some sort of running event after he retired.
 

New Supporter?

Brentford sign Q.P.R. winger Barry Salvage for 9,000 pounds 1973


just spoke with my dad about Barry, he mentions that all the Bees players once posed naked on the bench and the picture was placed in the local paper not sure if it was a celebration of going up are not, Barry always liked to wear a large rain mack at the ground and as my dad use to speak with Barry alot he made a caption in quotes for Barry about "where's my mack" he found it quite funny but my oldman told me as has JTofBFC that Barry had entered in to a race of a half marathon but at 3 miles sadly he died of heart attack in that race in 1986 aged 38 years old.
 
Last edited:

New Supporter?

Born 21.12.46 died 1986

Eastbourne first club
67-68 Fulham
68-69 Millwall
70-72 QPR
72-74 Brentford 87 appearences 8 goals
1975-76 Millwall
Then to St Louis
back to play for Hastings United

I was only 8 when i saw him so vague memories. Was a good winger/midfield player.
 

New Supporter?

Delighted to welcome you to the Bees. I trust that it's a life-long committment. I vaguely remember Barry Salvage as being a decent enough player though not a star. I'm sure some of the more, ahem, experienced posters on here will give you a fuller appraisal.

BTW - I know it's tacky to ask - you're not a billionaire by any chance are you?

Sorry Les Beeavinu. I am not a billionaire. I qualify more as a thousandaire. But if I ever win big in the lottery, I'll keep the Bees in mind.
 

New Supporter?

He was a slightly ungainly winger who was skilful but very erratic. He was frsutratinly selfish at times but entertaining, capable of going on mazy runs and going past defenders for fun and then finishing with a cross that would end up high the Royal Oak.(Hang on, sounds like Paul Brooker!) Remember being upset when I read of his untimely death.
 

New Supporter?

Barry Salvage was a cab driver back in Eastbourne and died on the seafront when taking part in a charity run. I remember him as a decent winger and he scored one of the other goals, I believe, in the legendary Andy Woon game against Port Vale in 92-3.

JohnO, welcome to Brentford, a wise choice indeed. I'm sure other Brentford players found their way to the US and some came in the opposite direction like George Kirby and Gerry Baker (US international) who had brief stints at Griffin Park in the late sixties.
 

New Supporter?

Sadly ironic that he died running, as his main asset was his speed. He ran the left wing normally and would get round his oppo by booting the ball ahead of him into space and outsprinting the defender. Someone who ran at the opposition, those were the days!
 

New Supporter?

I recall him as being, along with David Crown, one of the better 'traditional' wingers we've had at GP since I started watching in 1971. Not as good as Smillie or Sinton, but certainly worth his place in the side.

I remember hearing that he'd died, but it's frightening to discover that it was so long ago.

Welcome, JohnO, and don't be put off if people on here start sniping at you when they don't agree with you. Grit your teeth, and you'll be fine. It's not (usually) anything personal.
 

New Supporter?

Barry Salvage was a cab driver back in Eastbourne and died on the seafront when taking part in a charity run. I remember him as a decent winger and he scored one of the other goals, I believe, in the legendary Andy Woon game against Port Vale in 92-3.

The legendary Andy Woon game was in the early 1970s.
 

New Supporter?

Welcome to Bees JohnO. When's your first home game then?

Ay, there's the rub. I'm not entirely sure. I've been to London several times but none in the last 14 years. I am going to get the family over to London at some point in the near future but I'm just not sure when. I was hoping for the spring but that isn't going to happen.
 

New Supporter?

lend us a fiver then :D :sorted:

A fiver? Ooooh, payday isn't until Friday so I'm a little short of cash right now. I have $1.75 on me so with the current exchange rate that would come to about one pound. Will that work? :D

By the way, love the Borat image. His movie is opening up over here in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to see it.
 

New Supporter?

I'm lost for words...:confused:

Well, it's like this; I love soccer but I have gotten bored with the EPL. It's the same teams year after year. I wanted to support a team where the fans and sport are more genuine. And since I found out that a former Brentford player toiled for my home town's team, Brentford seemed like a natural choice. Hope this helps. :)
 

New Supporter?

Ay, there's the rub. I'm not entirely sure. I've been to London several times but none in the last 14 years. I am going to get the family over to London at some point in the near future but I'm just not sure when. I was hoping for the spring but that isn't going to happen.

Well let me know when you do make it over and we will meet up for beers before hand.:wave:
 
Back
Top Bottom