Oldham Match Reports

Oldham Match Reports

Les Beeavinu said:
Having seen all three goals on TV, I don't believe that Nelson was at fault at all. He wouldn't have been favourite for any of the crosses and we all know what would happen if he came for a cross and didn't make it don't we?

As for the slow motion goal, he had sufficient pace and placement to make it almost impossible for Nelson given how close the guy was. Turner's reaction to the third goal certainly seemed to suggest that he thought Sodje was culpable.
Hear hear!

It never ceases to amaze me how some people on here, once a player has made some mistakes (we all know who I mean), have to insist that that player is at fault for every goal scored against us. Conversely, another player who is a bit of a show-boater at times and therefore tends to be well liked, is never infallible in those people's eyes. :rolleyes: Unbe-effing-lievable.

Players do have poor games occasionally, but it's always the same player.
 

Oldham Match Reports

Idaho Bee said:
And what did the flag say?

It was a large St George's flag with Oldham Athletic across the middle bar, and Born In England, Live in England and Die In England in three of the corners plus the Three Lions crest in the bottom right hanmd one.

Why this has provoked gasps of outrage on the GPG by a grand total of two people is beyond me and, I suspect, the vast majority of Bees fans. :confused:
 

Oldham Match Reports

Silly Hat said:
It was a large St George's flag with Oldham Athletic across the middle bar, and Born In England, Live in England and Die In England in three of the corners plus the Three Lions crest in the bottom right hanmd one.

Why this has provoked gasps of outrage on the GPG by a grand total of two people is beyond me and, I suspect, the vast majority of Bees fans. :confused:

Eeeehh Orrrr. Just seen the That Oldham Flag thread. I'll get my coat....
 

Oldham Match Reports

BRENTFORD_TILL_DIE said:
yes true but not every kepper makes 3 or 4 or 5 mistakes in the first 19 games do they now ?

Not every keeper, but most keepers. In our league and below anyway. Why do you think Nelson isn't playing in the Premiership? Because he's not good enough? My view is that, he isn't playing in the Premiership or Championship is because:

a) He makes a few mistakes and even a little bit of inconsistency puts off scouts

b) He hasn't had the chance to prove himself

That said, look how fantastic he did against Southampton Home, 3 goals let in yes, but did anyone blame him for any one of those goals? No. The first one was unlucky to have Crouch poaching, after a great initial stop, the second and third were carbon copies, now where have I seen that type of goal before :wave:

I would rather have Nelson playing for Brentford than any other keeper in league 1 having seen them all, and most of league 2, the ones I've seen relegated and soforth. Nelson is a very young keeper, and is far from his prime, and I mean really far. He has a lot of learning to do, and has none of the experience nearly every other keeper in our league, or every keeper has. Most keepers are what 31+? How old is Nelly? A good 7 or so years of learning and gaining expierience to go I reckon, but he's an excellent shot stopper now, imagine, with the right training, what he could be.
I'm not going to try and change your mind anymore, I've considered the other side to this argument, and looked hard at the stats, and it hasn't changed my view. If your going to read this, not prepared to look at things differently, then I don't know why I bothered.
 

Oldham Match Reports

ChinaBee said:
And commanding their six yard box.

I am not one to get at Nelson at every mistake as I know how hard it is to be a keeper but he has to command his area

I think he has lost the confidence of his defence and that is a bad thing :(

As much as I hate to criticise our own players, Nelson lost the confidence of Sodje & Turner long ago & I have monaed about his lack of command of the box, poor decision making & positioning since day one.

I for one thought he was at fault for changing his mind yet again as the first cross came in. He took three steps forward & then one back....too late then !

Sodje was caught out for the 2nd & 3rd & had an off day for sure.

However, Newman, Pratley & now Lloyd back on song were terrific
 

Oldham Match Reports

Silly Hat said:
It was a large St George's flag with Oldham Athletic across the middle bar, and Born In England, Live in England and Die In England in three of the corners plus the Three Lions crest in the bottom right hanmd one.

Why this has provoked gasps of outrage on the GPG by a grand total of two people is beyond me and, I suspect, the vast majority of Bees fans. :confused:
I wasn't outraged like many others and haven't posted on the flag thread and yesterday before it all kicked off I listed it as a negative and stand by that.....

It's all about opinions, but bearing in mind there's a high profile Kick racism out of football campaign going on, with Stewards and police briefed, I'm amazed that no one thought that it might be inappropriate. It was a football match and not a political rally after all .....
 

Oldham Match Reports

It wasn't inappropriate, he stands in the Brook Road :nono:
 

Oldham Match Reports

Didn't think Nelson was at fault for any of the goals. All whipped in with a bit of pace and if he'd come out and not got there then the ball would have been going into an empty net. Frampton was dissapointing giving the guy on the right so much space to cross the ball for 2nd & 3rd.

Dam shame we cant score from corners. They are such an anti-climax. At least we made more of the free-kicks.
 

Oldham Match Reports

How many players do we have that can be a threat at corners? Turner, Sodje, Owusu and Pratley are all the 'tall' players that played yesterday that could present a threat at heading. Maybe we should adapt to there not being a lot of tall people in the box, like knock downs on the edge for someone technically gifted to hit home?
 

Oldham Match Reports

BeeAlzibub said:
As much as I hate to criticise our own players, Nelson lost the confidence of Sodje & Turner long ago


Who told you that ?....I doubt very much if it was MT or SS themselves....perhaps you should pop down the training ground if you get time and talk to the players....you might find it interesting..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

Oldham Match Reports

BeeAlzibub said:
As much as I hate to criticise our own players,
BeeAlzibub said:
I have monaed about his lack of command of the box, poor decision making & positioning since day one.
:confused: lol
 

Oldham Match Reports

I've seen the goals again tonight and I can't see how Nelson can be blamed for any of them.
 

Oldham Match Reports

What happens when we play fast attacking football.We leave ourselves exposed at the back.
4 5 1 next week. :(
 

Oldham Match Reports

Bee49 said:
What happens when we play fast attacking football.We leave ourselves exposed at the back.
4 5 1 next week. :(

MA seemed delighted that we scored 3 goals, and it's bound to deflect some of the criticism that's been coming his way over the last weeks. Personally I'd rather we played like that every game and risked losing 4-3, but in all honesty a couple of defensive howlers from an unfit Sodje and a keeper lacking in confidence were all that stopped us winning that at a canter.
 

Oldham Match Reports

Wee Dave said:
MA seemed delighted that we scored 3 goals, and it's bound to deflect some of the criticism that's been coming his way over the last weeks. Personally I'd rather we played like that every game and risked losing 4-3, but in all honesty a couple of defensive howlers from an unfit Sodje and a keeper lacking in confidence were all that stopped us winning that at a canter.

if you read the Oldham view of the match, they're pretty much unanimous in the view that an off-day from the best defence in the division was the only thing that saved them from a drubbing. I hope MA is delighted but frustrated.
 

Oldham Match Reports

Les Beeavinu said:
if you read the Oldham view of the match, they're pretty much unanimous in the view that an off-day from the best defence in the division was the only thing that saved them from a drubbing. I hope MA is delighted but frustrated.

I don't know how to understand 'read' read present or past? Because I can't find any Oldham message boards on the net... So I'm thinking your talking about the views in this thread? :confused:
 

Oldham Match Reports

Ronan_UK said:
I don't know how to understand 'read' read present or past?

As I've now finished reading it, it's read and not read whereas earlier I was actually reading it. Lucky we weren't playing Reading. Anyway, there's one or two Oldham reports buried in here.
 

Oldham Match Reports

sonofabee said:
Police, stewards, and real Oldham fans allowing the flag to be unfurled and on show for most of the game.
It's been up for about two years now, so why would people asks for it to be taken down now? :confused:
 

Oldham Match Reports

Jimbee said:
I've seen the goals again tonight and I can't see how Nelson can be blamed for any of them.

As I said initially if you wanted to be harsh you could blame Nelson for the first.

If he'd really gone for it he might have got there, but more likely, having seen it again, we would have had Rotherham all over again.

Generally :imwith:
 

Oldham Match Reports

Wee Dave said:
in all honesty a couple of defensive howlers from an unfit Sodje and a keeper lacking in confidence were all that stopped us winning that at a canter.

:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom