Oldham updates & reports

Oldham updates & reports

Excellent result!

The season HAS started!

Errr Where's Sweepy? :D
 

Oldham updates & reports

Aussie Bee said:
Excellent result!

The season HAS started!

Errr Where's Sweepy? :D

the promotion push starts here

as for Sweepy, thank god we don't have to put up with his drivel tonight...
 

Oldham updates & reports

Aussie Bee said:
Errr Where's Sweepy? :D
No doubt he's in "a good mood".

Also, we can expect a tirade of posts from him congratulating the players on a result and their performance...... bated breath and all that.
 

Oldham updates & reports

Quite a scrappy game overall, with two teams in the same predicament fighting for their lives. Both teams with decimated squads - forget being in the same boat, we're in the same harbour and everything.

Luck was on our side today, and despite the efforts of Hutch, Rougier, O'Connor and Smith, our best players were the post and the crossbar, both of whom ensured we scraped a well-earned narrow win.

Paul Smith: 8 Did well with the penalty save.
Dobson: 7 Improved performance by captain.
Fieldwick: 7 Fairly respectable performance at LB, and looked okay going foward.
Somner: 9 One of his best performances in a Bees shirt. Any idea why Wally? :rolleyes:
Sonko: 7 Looked a bit shaky at times. Not quite the Sonko of early last season.
O'Connor: 8 Worked as hard as ever. Chased everything.
Hutchinson: 7 Best performance to date by an improving player
Evans: 8 Got stuck in, and made mugs of the Oldham defence at time. Wind-up act on their poncy number 5 was great.
Jay Smith: 7 Did fairly well. Still needs to get involved a bit more - nice touches though.
Rougier: 8 Great effort. How long we got him for?
May: 6 Didn't see much from the new lad. Must be honest and say I expected more

Wally: 5 Still not convinced. Long-overdue reshuffle of the defence owed more to circumstance rather than responding to criticism of his tactical ineptitude.
 

Oldham updates & reports

Banana said:
No doubt he's in "a good mood".

Also, we can expect a tirade of posts from him congratulating the players on a result and their performance...... bated breath and all that.

I hope my last post was to your satisfaction, sweety. :kiss:
 

Oldham updates & reports

1 post does not make a tirade. Another 200 or so would make up for the last week or two.
 

Oldham updates & reports

I think Dobbo's getting a spectacularly good press considering he was principally at fault for the Oldham goal, and didn't cover himself in glory against Peterborough as I recall...
 

Oldham updates & reports

Much better this weekend overall but we were still rather fortunate yesterday.

Our play has improved immensely, we are starting to play through midfield rather than over it, and we looked more solid in defence with a balanced back 4 and Somner in the centre.

When we can bring Tabb and Hunt into that side we will create even more going forward, we also have 2 forwards who aren't match fit.

The signs are positive. May was looking to bring the midfield into the game, Hutchinson was much improved in the second half and Evans is strating to play as he can.

We conceded a sloppy goal, another from a set piece, this needs addressing urgently, but scored two of our own. A fantastic header for the first and good turn and finish for the second.

It's the first step on a long road but at least we're moving.
 

Oldham updates & reports

Nice to be able to enjoy a match at GP for a change with a win. Bearing in mind Oldham are struggling to get a decent side out.

Lots of commitment from the lads but worry about the defence.We can't keep giving sides a goal start.

Lets hope we can build on that and get at least a point at Port Vale.

Poor crowd especially for a Bank Holiday, lets hope some of the doubters return for the Plymouth game.

MOM Tony Rougier.
 

Oldham updates & reports

First chance I have had to watch the Bees this season , as Feltham did'nt have a game on monday afternoon.

I went along with 3 of my kids and two of their mates and expected the worse. However, what an exciting game, it had the lot, drama, passing football etc etc. Also I was impressed with the spirit the players showed when they went 1-0 down after having all all the play. And to cap it all the penalty save, class.

I am sure the fans who did'nt make it will kick themselves for staying away :)
 

Oldham updates & reports

feltham said:


I am sure the fans who did'nt make it will kick themselves for staying away :)

Good point. If you stayed away on Monday :nono: you dont know what you missed. But you probably still have all your nails.
 

Oldham updates & reports

Much, much better than I was expecting - that was a relegation candidate performance rather than a relegation certainty one.

If Fieldwick is dropped and Somner put back at LB after that then we can safely conclude that Wally is educationally subnormal.

Agree that defence still needs tightening up - Sonko needs to do the simple thing more often, and giving the way the penalty was naive in the extreme, their bloke got himself in position, back to goal, and waited to be climbed on, and Sonko obliged. Concentration on set-pieces still suspect (is it just me or did anyone else expect Smudger to save their goal? I was in Brook Road, right in line with the path of the ball, and it looked gettable. Maybe he was unsighted.)

The midfield we put out was short of width, and Evo in particular kept dropping narrow and they got a lot of joy down that flank as a result. I'd like to think that will change if we have our first XI out.

Second half Jay Smith and Hutch were unrecognisable, lets hope they gain some confidence from their performances. And Eddie Hutch with a bloodied shirt - words fail me! (still not in the starting XI for me, but he touched the ball more than once, and even found a teammate with a pass on a couple of occasions, and that's progress!).

Having critcised Wally, I'll hold my hands up and say Rougier did well at CF, when I'd have played him on the wing. The kid May looked OK - nice touch, holds it up well, bit of aerial presence (although jumps mostly using his arms, there are plenty of refs who would give a free-kick for EVERY challenge he makes. Rightly booked or an unsubtle shoulder charge). If I were Mark Peters I'd be putting in a transfer request, as Wally clearly sees him as a reserve.

Still work to be done - we beat a limited Oldham side by one goal with them hitting the woodwork twice and missing a penalty - but if nothing else that should at least have raised a few chins up off the floor in the dressing room.

Still need to tighten things at the back - still need to work out what our first choice midfield is (I've got a nasty feeling Wally's doesn't include Tabb) - and it looks like May is the excuse Wally needs to persist with the long-ball game, which sidelines good players like O'Connor, Evans and Tabb.

Also, if you want to thank me, I'm trying to give up smoking, and that was the first game I've gone with out a fag for ages - so it looks like I've got an extra incentive to quit - I don't smoke, we win!
 

Oldham updates & reports

Edmundo said:
Er, and about six headers clear when Oldham corners came in. Plus making a nuisance of himself in midfield. And several good passes.

hear hear ed ,just say no dan the bee
 

Oldham updates & reports

Simon C said:
Good point. If you stayed away on Monday :nono: you dont know what you missed. But you probably still have all your nails.

Which is just as well cuz we're being crucified for not coming !! ;)
 

Oldham updates & reports

feltham said:
First chance I have had to watch the Bees this season , as Feltham did'nt have a game on monday afternoon.

I went along with 3 of my kids and two of their mates and expected the worse. However, what an exciting game, it had the lot, drama, passing football etc etc. Also I was impressed with the spirit the players showed when they went 1-0 down after having all all the play. And to cap it all the penalty save, class.

I am sure the fans who did'nt make it will kick themselves for staying away :)

very true..............best game at GP for f@£$in months.........nice to see we've got a bit of fight left in the team..........theyre certainly going to need it !!;) :)
 

Oldham updates & reports

Holysmit said:
Everyone mucked in today which was nice and if they can keep that up they'll do well enough to keep us in division 2.

Sums up the game I reckon, what made the difference imho. Regularly 2 players robbing an Oldham player in possesion, the result being the ball falling to the spare Bee who could pass it out and create :eek: something!

More of the same please :)
 

Oldham updates & reports

If I were Mark Peters I'd be putting in a transfer request, as Wally clearly sees him as a reserve.


If I were Mark Peters i'd be sorting out my attitude problem before it starts to piss Bees fans off!

To ignore fans who were applauding him as he trudged down the running track at the end of the game is a disgrace.
Any truth in the rumours that he was in a Surrey nightclub until the early hours of Monday morning???:blush :nono:
 

Oldham updates & reports

Brentford Bob said:
Any truth in the rumours that he was in a Surrey nightclub until the early hours of Monday morning???:blush :nono:

Would that be a nightclub on the A30 not far from Bracknell by any chance????????????????????????
 

Oldham updates & reports

Bee49 said:
Nice to be able to enjoy a match at GP for a change

Enjoy? ENJOY????? You don't go to GP to enjoy Brentford matches! I remember saying during the second half that I didn't know whether I was more stressed when we are winning or when we are losing :rolleyes: and this was an early season kick and giggle, jeez what's it going to be like by Christmas? :sad:
 

Oldham updates & reports

A very good game. As mentioned before May held the ball up well and won a few headers. After scoring his goal Eddie Hutchinson's game improved. The passage of play when he won the defensive headers from Oldham's corner was important for him and the team.


A superb save by Smith from their penalty, which was a penalty. Is that his last game before suspension?


The workrate of the team was good to see.


:D
 

Oldham updates & reports

The Southall Bee said:
A superb save by Smith from their penalty, which was a penalty. Is that his last game before suspension?



Yep, he'll miss the games at Port Vale and Rushden as well as at home to Plymouth.
 

Oldham updates & reports

Brentford Bob said:
Any truth in the rumours that he was in a Surrey nightclub until the early hours of Monday morning???:blush :nono:

rumours heard of a Brentford player not being picked due to boozing were heard on way out of ground.
 

Oldham updates & reports

In the cold light of day after the euphoria of an exciting victory at long last, I just hope we can keep the same team out.

I thought we looked good after the reading game only to be destroyed by the next team selection and tactics.

How long is roget out for because I couldn't bear to have all the joy ripped out of me by a return to the previous selection?

Finally, we need to keep this momentum going because all we need to do is to find 4 teams worse than us this season and on saturday we found the first one, oldham were a team of over the hill has beens (both brothers were past it especially the really famous one). No wonder dowie wants to go to WHU. I still think we will struggle against most sides but at least if we start with the best 11 we have a fighting chance!
 

Oldham updates & reports

mhead bee said:
In the cold light of day after the euphoria of an exciting victory at long last, I just hope we can keep the same team out.

I thought we looked good after the reading game only to be destroyed by the next team selection and tactics.

How long is roget out for because I couldn't bear to have all the joy ripped out of me by a return to the previous selection?

Finally, we need to keep this momentum going because all we need to do is to find 4 teams worse than us this season and on saturday we found the first one, oldham were a team of over the hill has beens (both brothers were past it especially the really famous one). No wonder dowie wants to go to WHU. I still think we will struggle against most sides but at least if we start with the best 11 we have a fighting chance!

I don't think that it was our best 11 by any stretch of the imagination.

And why does everyone keep going on about Saturday?
 

Oldham updates & reports

Jimbee said:
I don't think that it was our best 11 by any stretch of the imagination.


Tabb, Hunt and possibly Beadle and Frampton could well come into that team, or at least the squad. Strengthening it quite a bit.
 
Back
Top Bottom