Perspective

UBee5

Active member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
1,553
Reaction score
1
Location
Sydney

Perspective

To any of you Debbie Downers out there, last season we finished 11th with 64 points. Leeds and West Brom were both in the play-offs, Fulham in the Premier League.

This season we have finished 3rd on 81 points....tonight is a bitter pill to swallow but we have made massive progress, had a great season and will be back at it again next season.

Yes we spent a lot in the Summer, but we don't have the same wage bill as clubs like Leeds, West Brom and Fulham and we don't have the history of spending they have.

Also, last time we lost a play-off final we secured the automatics the season after.

We're on an upward trajectory, look forward and enjoy the ride
 

Perspective

I will say this now, but it's much better to be in the hunt, than not be in the hunt at all. Better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all sort of thing.

This season has overall been absolutely fantastic. I have enjoyed so many elements of it and enjoyed dreaming of the promotion even if it wasn't to be. The previous season we finished 11th, barely, and had nothing to hope for after October. I remember after that Villa 1-0 home win thinking 'yeah it's cool, but it doesn't mean anything...' I'd much rather be in the hunt than be mid table and we took a massive stride forward this year.
 

Perspective

I'd back us for automatic promotion next year - just like the last time we fluffed our lines in a final - Benrahma and maybe Watkins leave from the first team and a couple of the guys that haven't been able to break through consistently too. I don't think we need a huge rebuild - we spend the money wisely and so come back stronger.
 

Perspective

Add me as a Debbie downer as u call it.

Yes....were a bus stop in hounslow

And...we ****%d it up tonight

Worse of all is that tonight should have been west brom v fulham with us already promoted

We blew our chance of going up before tonight
.
 

Perspective

Exactly what I am thinking. What are the odds on Bees going up next year and passing Putney and WBA going in the opposite direction, See you all this time next year.
 

Perspective

the only team in the top 6 without the HUGE aid of parachute payments. Well done BFC, one lapse of concentration away from a penalty shootout to the prem.
 

Perspective

Add me as a Debbie downer as u call it.

Yes....were a bus stop in hounslow

And...we ****%d it up tonight

Worse of all is that tonight should have been west brom v fulham with us already promoted

We blew our chance of going up before tonight
.

We won 7 games in a row after the restart to cut a 10 point gap, what more were you expecting after a mammoth effort to even be in the conversation of the automatics?
 

Perspective

Add me as a Debbie downer as u call it.

Yes....were a bus stop in hounslow

And...we ****%d it up tonight

Worse of all is that tonight should have been west brom v fulham with us already promoted

We blew our chance of going up before tonight
.

Calm down Debbie ;)
 

Perspective

Add me as a Debbie downer as u call it.

Yes....were a bus stop in hounslow

And...we ****%d it up tonight

Worse of all is that tonight should have been west brom v fulham with us already promoted

We blew our chance of going up before tonight
.

All ifs and buts mate, we ****ed up the 1st quarter of the season 3 wins in our first 11 games. If we had won some early games that we should have we would have won the league. Fact is we didn’t” better where we are now than 10 years ago. COYB.
 

Perspective

the only team in the top 6 without the HUGE aid of parachute payments. Well done BFC, one lapse of concentration away from a penalty shootout to the prem.
Leeds?
 

Perspective

Wonderful season, frustrating end, we will comeback stronger and wiser; looking forward to singing this at LR sometime in the future with the same intensity and emotion we had this season at GP :
Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better ....
 

Perspective

Beginning of a new era for us now.
Be ready for more massive games like tonight from now on.
We will reach the Prem bunfight sooner rather than later.
 

Perspective

What a lot of drivel
First thing in the morning I will be seaking a refund on mine and my grandsons season ticket for 20(21 shouldn't be hard considering there won't be fans till at least 2021 anyway and I don't fancy watching on a 10 inch screen
if you seriously think you can start a season with unknown and untested replacements for your best players and expect them to find there feet and gel to keep up with Bournemouth Watford Norwich and the other big boys with big budgets then your deluded 47 years for me and I just can't take the pain anymore
 

Perspective

I like all the positive vibes stuff but sorry I am not feeling it today.

We fukked it up, we were given a golden ticket, a get out of jail card and pass go and collect your money all at once and we wiped our arse on it, not once but three times.

Ok, so we should be grateful because we are little old Brentford etc, the truth is we finished the season with the best team in the division so it doesn’t matter how much it cost, we fukked it up royally with the best team.

Fulham, sh*tty, “you’ll be sacked in the morning” Fulham have just out thought, out manoeuvred, our lucked us in the final. We were favourites for a reason, because we are a better team but we sh*t the bed again.

We will come back, yes we will, the champ is a better division, but I wanted to win something for once and we did all the rubbish things we always do again.
 

Perspective

What a lot of drivel
First thing in the morning I will be seaking a refund on mine and my grandsons season ticket for 20(21 shouldn't be hard considering there won't be fans till at least 2021 anyway and I don't fancy watching on a 10 inch screen
if you seriously think you can start a season with unknown and untested replacements for your best players and expect them to find there feet and gel to keep up with Bournemouth Watford Norwich and the other big boys with big budgets then your deluded 47 years for me and I just can't take the pain anymore

Oh dear.

Watford are the only ones who I expect to be up there.

Norwich are nothing. Way overachieved.

Bournemouth will sell and not replace.

Swansea? Cardiff? Who else?

47 years and I’m enjoying the ride. :cool:
 

Perspective

What a lot of drivel
First thing in the morning I will be seaking a refund on mine and my grandsons season ticket for 20(21 shouldn't be hard considering there won't be fans till at least 2021 anyway and I don't fancy watching on a 10 inch screen
if you seriously think you can start a season with unknown and untested replacements for your best players and expect them to find there feet and gel to keep up with Bournemouth Watford Norwich and the other big boys with big budgets then your deluded 47 years for me and I just can't take the pain anymore

I think we'll start the season slowly, playoff hangover, new signings etc... but I'm not going to stop going...

What does your grandson think of the idea of returning the tickets BTW?

No one's saying you should feel happy now, or that anyone should. That would be weird. But the season kicks off I think on the 12th September. We need to 'go again' because the alternative is worse, so let's try even if that's hard right now. Not necessarily today, but come September.
 

Perspective

The last 2 weeks have shown us that we are not ready for the Prem.
All part of this club and the process
 

Perspective

The last 2 weeks have shown us that we are not ready for the Prem.
All part of this club and the process

Tbh I think there is a part of the Championship that is very specific to the Championship and has no bearing on PL quality and it's the slog. I think if we go up, we stay up and we do well. Look how well Sheffield United have done after tailing off a bit towards the end of their promotion. You just have to get past the slog but I don't think that has any bearing on quality as a Premier League team as Norwich aced the Championship and finished botton
 

Perspective

The last 2 weeks have shown us that we are not ready for the Prem.
All part of this club and the process

Not sure any team in the Championship ever is but after some summer additions I would have backed us to do ok
 

Perspective

The last 2 weeks have shown us that we are not ready for the Prem.
All part of this club and the process

It actually shows what fine margins there are and why luck or a lack of it in football can have deep consequences.
 

Perspective

What a lot of drivel
First thing in the morning I will be seaking a refund on mine and my grandsons season ticket for 20(21 shouldn't be hard considering there won't be fans till at least 2021 anyway and I don't fancy watching on a 10 inch screen
if you seriously think you can start a season with unknown and untested replacements for your best players and expect them to find there feet and gel to keep up with Bournemouth Watford Norwich and the other big boys with big budgets then your deluded 47 years for me and I just can't take the pain anymore

Enjoy the hangover tomorrow - youve literally described what we have been doing for 6 seasons. Maybe we wont next season but I'd back us to the hilt with the track record - were you calling for Franks head when we were 2 down v Milwall ;)
 
Last edited:

Perspective

What a lot of drivel
First thing in the morning I will be seaking a refund on mine and my grandsons season ticket for 20(21 shouldn't be hard considering there won't be fans till at least 2021 anyway and I don't fancy watching on a 10 inch screen
if you seriously think you can start a season with unknown and untested replacements for your best players and expect them to find there feet and gel to keep up with Bournemouth Watford Norwich and the other big boys with big budgets then your deluded 47 years for me and I just can't take the pain anymore

I hope I don't get one of these. :whoosh As I assume you're taking an ironic standpoint here.
 

Perspective

What a lot of drivel
First thing in the morning I will be seaking a refund on mine and my grandsons season ticket for 20(21 shouldn't be hard considering there won't be fans till at least 2021 anyway and I don't fancy watching on a 10 inch screen
if you seriously think you can start a season with unknown and untested replacements for your best players and expect them to find there feet and gel to keep up with Bournemouth Watford Norwich and the other big boys with big budgets then your deluded 47 years for me and I just can't take the pain anymore

Wasteman, if you can’t see how far we’ve come you’re lost. I’m devastated too but we’re in the best place we’ve been since I’ve been alive. Personally I’m not gonna take that for granted
 

Perspective

To any of you Debbie Downers out there, last season we finished 11th with 64 points. Leeds and West Brom were both in the play-offs, Fulham in the Premier League.

This season we have finished 3rd on 81 points....tonight is a bitter pill to swallow but we have made massive progress, had a great season and will be back at it again next season.

Yes we spent a lot in the Summer, but we don't have the same wage bill as clubs like Leeds, West Brom and Fulham and we don't have the history of spending they have.

Also, last time we lost a play-off final we secured the automatics the season after.

We're on an upward trajectory, look forward and enjoy the ride

Love this post. Walked past TF in late Chiswick last night and said COYB we go again.. responded "thank you".
 

Perspective

It's difficult now while it's so raw. But we've bounced back from a lot worse than this. It's always the hope that gets you, but without the hope, there's no point.

Given what's happening in the world this year, we should be thanking our lucky stars that we've had such a great season to enjoy.

And losing last night means that we will win more games next season than if we'd won last night.
 

Perspective

It actually shows what fine margins there are and why luck or a lack of it in football can have deep consequences.

I agree with this.

We can look at our performances against stoke, Barnsley and Fulham and blame the players and the manager for not picking the right players or tactics etc but you can also look at WBA and Fulham and they also had a big dip in form in the last 4-5 games.

You can then look at some of the decisions, WBA got, all manner of soft penalties and offside goals being given and then the run of decisions that went against us. Two of the clearest penalties you will ever see against Stoke, the red card debacle against Swansea and then last night 3 reds and 2 potential hand balls not given. If just one of those above decisions goes our way we are a premier league side today.
 

Perspective

One thing stands out for me, I think that in all games this season we
have lost twelve one-nil.If we can get a decent planB for next season I
would expect us to challenge for top spot.
This season has been fantastic and beyond my wildest dreams, I'm not
to down on missing out.Just hope the players can put this behind them
and be positive for the coming season.
 

Perspective

What a lot of drivel
First thing in the morning I will be seaking a refund on mine and my grandsons season ticket for 20(21 shouldn't be hard considering there won't be fans till at least 2021 anyway and I don't fancy watching on a 10 inch screen
if you seriously think you can start a season with unknown and untested replacements for your best players and expect them to find there feet and gel to keep up with Bournemouth Watford Norwich and the other big boys with big budgets then your deluded 47 years for me and I just can't take the pain anymore

see you next season mate you cant get off the ride that easy
 

Perspective

It really hurts but on we go

Yes it does hurt .

I think Thomas may have made the wrong call starting with Dasilva instead of Marcondes especially as Marcondes , Jenson and Norgaard bossed the midfield against Swansea.

Why had we started to,play Benrahma more in the middle of the pitch . Earlier on Benrahma played wide and it was where he caused teams a lot of problems.

We can all look back over the season and see games where we’ve dropped points.
Birmingham, Charlton Luton Huddersfield Stoke Barnsley.

A last point,
Raya and Jansson got caught out on the first goal, in my mind you should always have at least one player blocking that route and make a team play it across as especially we looked to dominate the crosses into the box
 
Last edited:

Perspective

Yes it does hurt .

I think Thomas may have made the wrong call starting with Dasilva instead of Marcondes especially as Marcondes , Jenson and Norgaard bossed the midfield against Swansea.

I really don't think it made any difference, Del. They bossed the midfield in the SF, as Swansea basically played their normal game, which left us lots of space and were wide open. As so many other teams have done, Fulham pressed us high, which forced us into hopeful long balls. The midfield was largely bypassed and when they did get the ball, they were knocked off it too easily or forced into poor passes. We actually need to change our formation for games like that and pack the midfield. I agree we were light on width again, like the Barnsley game. Our two best chances came from crosses (The Dalsgard goal and one that Watkins couldn't quite get on the end of).

Being harder to score against is what has got us up to 3rd this season and we all know that if we go a goal up, we'll win, Unfortunately, our coaching staff need to work harder on what to do when we go a goal down to teams that don't allow us to play the ball out. For all Thomas's lovely words running up to this game about learning from those losses in July, we had no better idea how to break the opposition down. That is what's cost us this season and for all those bemoaning the fine margins and bad luck, it's happened so many times, it is not down to luck.
 

Perspective

What a lot of drivel
First thing in the morning I will be seaking a refund on mine and my grandsons season ticket for 20(21 shouldn't be hard considering there won't be fans till at least 2021 anyway and I don't fancy watching on a 10 inch screen
if you seriously think you can start a season with unknown and untested replacements for your best players and expect them to find there feet and gel to keep up with Bournemouth Watford Norwich and the other big boys with big budgets then your deluded 47 years for me and I just can't take the pain anymore

Have you left the:fishing: off your post?

After the last five or so years you must know the drill by now. If course it takes time for new recruits to bed in, that is true for any team but year in year the product and the outcome have improved immeasurably.

The fact of the matter is that without this approach we would be very small fish in a very big pond without a hope of competing at the right end of the table and the limit of our aspiration would be finishing 21st
 

Perspective

Nearly 60 years as a Bee on the clock and absolutely no intention of stopping just because of a few poor performances recently.We are one of the best run clubs in the country with a very bright future and one of the few not on the brink of going under due to the financial crisis about to engulf football.If you cannot take disappointment,do not follow Brentford F.C.
I would like to thank Thomas Frank,the coaches and all the players for the best season I've had as a supporter.
 

Perspective

Nearly 60 years as a Bee on the clock and absolutely no intention of stopping just because of a few poor performances recently.We are one of the best run clubs in the country with a very bright future and one of the few not on the brink of going under due to the financial crisis about to engulf football.If you cannot take disappointment,do not follow Brentford F.C.
I would like to thank Thomas Frank,the coaches and all the players for the best season I've had as a supporter.

iI couldn't have put it better myself. COYB for the next campaign!!!
 

Perspective

I really don't think it made any difference, Del. They bossed the midfield in the SF, as Swansea basically played their normal game, which left us lots of space and were wide open. As so many other teams have done, Fulham pressed us high, which forced us into hopeful long balls. The midfield was largely bypassed and when they did get the ball, they were knocked off it too easily or forced into poor passes. We actually need to change our formation for games like that and pack the midfield. I agree we were light on width again, like the Barnsley game. Our two best chances came from crosses (The Dalsgard goal and one that Watkins couldn't quite get on the end of).

Being harder to score against is what has got us up to 3rd this season and we all know that if we go a goal up, we'll win, Unfortunately, our coaching staff need to work harder on what to do when we go a goal down to teams that don't allow us to play the ball out. For all Thomas's lovely words running up to this game about learning from those losses in July, we had no better idea how to break the opposition down. That is what's cost us this season and for all those bemoaning the fine margins and bad luck, it's happened so many times, it is not down to luck.

Exactly, we needed to change the formation after 5 minutes. I didn’t think fulham had the nouse to play that way for 120 minutes but fair play, they did a job on us. They sacrificed their football for a tactic that could beat us after being swept aside twice by us this year.

20/20 hindsight coming here. If we played 442 with two holding players against stoke and Barnsley we probably get two points. If we play 442 last night we give ourselves a chance.

The only way we were going to win that stalemate last night was on pens. However they had studies the keeper at free kicks and got a chance to execute it.

Horrible night again but we all knew what was coming.
 

Perspective

Nearly 60 years as a Bee on the clock and absolutely no intention of stopping just because of a few poor performances recently.We are one of the best run clubs in the country with a very bright future and one of the few not on the brink of going under due to the financial crisis about to engulf football.If you cannot take disappointment,do not follow Brentford F.C.
I would like to thank Thomas Frank,the coaches and all the players for the best season I've had as a supporter.

I couldn’t stop if I wanted to.

I tried to give up the GPG but couldn’t.

Can’t wait for LR and next season.
 

Perspective

Nearly 60 years as a Bee on the clock and absolutely no intention of stopping just because of a few poor performances recently.We are one of the best run clubs in the country with a very bright future and one of the few not on the brink of going under due to the financial crisis about to engulf football.If you cannot take disappointment,do not follow Brentford F.C.
I would like to thank Thomas Frank,the coaches and all the players for the best season I've had as a supporter.

Good post, well said, I've done over 65 years and this past 5 years have been the best ever, Disappointed, of course I am, but will that stop my support, of course not, we will lose a few players as usual, and get good replacements in as we always do, last night was a typical BFC play off game, a well below par game from almost all, the only way will get over that is to finish in the top two, hopefully next season, Can't wait for it all to start again, especially in our new home, being in the Championship is no disgrace, in fact some of the football is better to watch than the Premiership.

As you say many thanks to Thomas the Players and all staff for the entertainment dished out this season, Keep the faith everyone, we will get there in the end.
 

Perspective

It actually shows what fine margins there are and why luck or a lack of it in football can have deep consequences.

Isn't this the philosophy of the management team of the club? Fortunately they have a more levelheaded view to the way forward.
 

Perspective

A sense of persepctive is certainly needed. My first game was a 0-2 home defeat by Swansea in a sesaon where we got relegated from the old Div III. We then spent years in Div IV playing the likes of Workington, Southport, Hartlepool. A lot of the clubs we played then are now non-league, and some went out of existence for a while. That is a hard slog as a fan. We have just had a season playing some of the best football I've ever seen us play, and we almost made it to the Prem. We have one of the best-run clubs in the country. The future is still bright.

All that said, it would be quite nice to be on the winning side at Wembley/Cardiff just once! Wigan 1985 was a long time ago...
 

Perspective

Oh dear.

Watford are the only ones who I expect to be up there.

Norwich are nothing. Way overachieved.

Bournemouth will sell and not replace.

Swansea? Cardiff? Who else?

47 years and I’m enjoying the ride. :cool:

Agree completely with the sentiment of that.

In my opinion Norwich and Watford will be our biggest challengers. Millwall and Cardiff will also be up there. Bournemouth will lose too many, Swansea will lose Ayew and others they have on loan.

As long as we keep our core together (Raya/Pinnock/Janson/our regular midfield 4) we will be top 6 absolute minimum and should be favourites for the top 2.
 

Perspective

As I said to one of my mates, it hurts losing to Fulham, real bad, but with a bit of perspective...

2002 hurt way more in a sense I felt it was the beginning of the end, we knew we were losing our best players and our manager and we wouldn’t and couldn’t replace. We were in a dire situation.

Wally nearly took us down.

MA came along, saved us and gave us a glimmer of hope for a couple of seasons where we overachieved and made the play offs twice, all whilst barely surviving financially.
He left and we cut our cloth again, we dropped like a stone looking like dropping out of the league under Butcher, Bees United and the supporters still doing all they could to save us but it was looking unlikely.
MB started to invest a little and we managed to steady the ship and we won promotion from league 2, with Andy Scott at the helm, we had steadied the ship.
MB took over fully and in came Rösler, the football improved and we experienced the cruelest of Heartbreaks against Doncaster, but even after losing Yeovil I was calm as I felt we were still building and were in safe hands.

The following season under MW we gained promotion and haven’t looked back since.

This morning I feel gutted but this feels like the day after Yeovil to me, we’re in good hands, and I still have my club.

We will kick on again, maybe we will have a season or 2 of consolidation again as we build a team better than this one or we may replicate what we did after Yeovil, let’s just enjoy the ride.

One thing I care about most, we still have our club after all the turmoil we’ve been through off the pitch and on it.
That’s what really matters to me...


“Disclaimer: I may have some of my timeline mixed but I’m hung over and trying to work too” lol lol lol
 

Perspective

Great pity - three games to go up, three lost.
I was expecting penalties because we never did what we’re good at. Saïd is not a team player and infuriated me again. Tactically we lost the midfield. Fulham didn’t let us play., but then again we showed no urgency. It was Stoke all over again. We’ve done well this season , but in my opinion we were not at the races last night. Neutral friends said it was an awful game. Knowing how we can play is the frustrating thing. Yes, did brilliantly to finish third. Perspective will be good if we can do better next season. It won’t be easy - new ground, new players. It’ll be a rebuilding rather than pushing for autos.
 

Perspective

I'm sorry guys, I know it hurts, but my perspective is this: Brentford had THREE chances to get promoted to PL and failed miserably every time. You can play all the fancy football in the world, but without winning mentality you'll never get to PL.

I don't know what is the reason for players embarrassing levels of mental weakness at crucial stages of the season, did people in charge not pay enough attention to that aspect of the game, or is it something else, but unless that is sorted, Brentford won't be seriously challenging for the promotion.

Some people said Brentford were arrogant, I don't think so, they just looked well scared of opportunity to play in PL. Perhaps those players don't believe they're good enough for highest level of English football?

Either way, good luck next season, but it'll be very difficult to achieve automatic promotion.
 

Perspective

I am fairly positive about next season but of course when you have a number of key players who could be gone by next year it I do not want to get over confident which I did last season. Our amazing performances appeared to gives us the belief that if we play our way we can beat anyone in this league without considering the opposition. That will change next year for sure and with a few coming out of our B team we will be a major force again in the championship but there are many good outfits to compete with us . The season can’t start soon enough for me and let’s hope we can attend soon
 
Back
Top Bottom