Perspective

Perspective

Disappointed, 100%.
Surprised that we lost, not at all.

Yes it would have been nice to be rubbing shoulders with the big boys next season, but how frustrating would it be watching the games on ifollow!?
I've been watching BFC for over forty years now, and the dream when I started going was to get into the dizzy heights of the second division rather than bump around in leagues 3 & 4. Well move the clock forward to the present day and we're in the second division (but now days it's called the Championship),and I for one absolutely love being in the Championship and I'm already looking forward to next season. Yes, players will come and players will go, but we've still got many exiting things to look forward to!
As a wise man once said:It's Brentford innit!

Come On You Bees!
 

Perspective

What a lot of drivel
First thing in the morning I will be seaking a refund on mine and my grandsons season ticket for 20(21 shouldn't be hard considering there won't be fans till at least 2021 anyway and I don't fancy watching on a 10 inch screen
if you seriously think you can start a season with unknown and untested replacements for your best players and expect them to find there feet and gel to keep up with Bournemouth Watford Norwich and the other big boys with big budgets then your deluded 47 years for me and I just can't take the pain anymore

Ok. Bye. Now make good on your claim and **** off. And when you’ve ****ed off, **** off some more. And just keep ****ing of until we can no longer see you. Then **** off again.
 

Perspective

I'm sorry guys, I know it hurts, but my perspective is this: Brentford had THREE chances to get promoted to PL and failed miserably every time. You can play all the fancy football in the world, but without winning mentality you'll never get to PL.

I don't know what is the reason for players embarrassing levels of mental weakness at crucial stages of the season, did people in charge not pay enough attention to that aspect of the game, or is it something else, but unless that is sorted, Brentford won't be seriously challenging for the promotion.

Some people said Brentford were arrogant, I don't think so, they just looked well scared of opportunity to play in PL. Perhaps those players don't believe they're good enough for highest level of English football?

Either way, good luck next season, but it'll be very difficult to achieve automatic promotion.

re the mental weakness, I would suggest that winning seven on the bounce takes a certain amount of mental fortitude and maybe doing that over a condensed period of time took more out of them than we can realise
 

Perspective

I like all the positive vibes stuff but sorry I am not feeling it today.

We fukked it up, we were given a golden ticket, a get out of jail card and pass go and collect your money all at once and we wiped our arse on it, not once but three times.

Ok, so we should be grateful because we are little old Brentford etc, the truth is we finished the season with the best team in the division so it doesn’t matter how much it cost, we fukked it up royally with the best team.

Fulham, sh*tty, “you’ll be sacked in the morning” Fulham have just out thought, out manoeuvred, our lucked us in the final. We were favourites for a reason, because we are a better team but we sh*t the bed again.

We will come back, yes we will, the champ is a better division, but I wanted to win something for once and we did all the rubbish things we always do again.

I don't agree with your analysis at all. We were not the better team as temperament and tactics are key parts of the equation and clearly this set of players failed to perform in 3 of the final 5 crunch matches of the season. The campaign tests all elements of a squad's qualities and in these areas we were found wanting. The pressure that we'd have been under in the Premiership would have been unremitting so we have to rebuild paying attention to these frailties.
 

Perspective

Had we won last night then we suddenly face 5-6 weeks to get ready for England’s top tier. That performance last night demonstrated neither side is really ready.

The teams coming down aren’t much cop either. Norwich will have been preparing for Championship football for the last month - perhaps they’ll be the strongest of the three? It certainly isn’t a division to fear next season.
 

Perspective

I think we’re still evolving but perhaps prematurely believed we were at the apex. For our first 5 seasons in the Championship we were with greater or lesser consistency/streakiness very exciting as an attacking team but had an obvious soft underbelly that made us easy to score against. This season we’ve become much stronger defensively so have conceded few goals while still scoring a lot. But what we have not become is hard to beat- 15 defeats in league and play offs shows that starkly. Apart from the Millwall and Charlton home games we’ve not had that extra quality of being confident that we are capable of coming from behind to win. That’s the ruthlessness and mindset that now needs to be built on top of what we already have.

We’ve occasionally shown it (last season coming back from 2 down v Blackburn, before that the turnaround from 3-1 down at half time at Burton) but I think that consistent tenacity is the mark of the champions we should aspire to become. It might even just be that a second season for the heart of our team to stay together will take us there having learned from the disappointment of the way this season ended.
 

Perspective

re the mental weakness, I would suggest that winning seven on the bounce takes a certain amount of mental fortitude and maybe doing that over a condensed period of time took more out of them than we can realise

There's an old Chinese story about an archer who would hit centre of the target every time, but as soon as he was promised big reward for doing the same, he couldn't hit it at all, because his eyes were on the prize and not on the target. I'm afraid that's exactly what happened to Brentford in the last couple of weeks.

I'm actually disappointed that management clearly did nothing to rectify this after Stoke and Barnsley failures. Last night unfortunately was a copycat of those performances.
 

Perspective

You can then look at some of the decisions, WBA got, all manner of soft penalties and offside goals being given and then the run of decisions that went against us. Two of the clearest penalties you will ever see against Stoke, the red card debacle against Swansea and then last night 3 reds and 2 potential hand balls not given. If just one of those above decisions goes our way we are a premier league side today.

Talking of the red cards last night, I can only recall two, which was the third one? The Reed one could've gone either way, the other one Cairney was it, was a yellow IMO, for what it's worth.
Do you think the referee was influenced by the Stroud cock up at Swansea, and not wanting to make a mistake in a huge game.
It has been said on here in the past they we don't have players that get in the refs ear.
Pontus does his bit, but no one really appealed, for the Norgaard foul I think it was, which gets in the mind of the ref that nothing happened.

We weren't good enough last night.

Luckily we only have a few weeks before the new season starts, and I'm sure the players will be itching to put things right.
 

Perspective

To any of you Debbie Downers out there, last season we finished 11th with 64 points. Leeds and West Brom were both in the play-offs, Fulham in the Premier League.

This season we have finished 3rd on 81 points....tonight is a bitter pill to swallow but we have made massive progress, had a great season and will be back at it again next season.

Yes we spent a lot in the Summer, but we don't have the same wage bill as clubs like Leeds, West Brom and Fulham and we don't have the history of spending they have.

Also, last time we lost a play-off final we secured the automatics the season after.

We're on an upward trajectory, look forward and enjoy the ride

This sums it up for me. I thought I would feel gutted if we lost. But perspective almost immediately kicked in. That and the fact next season would actually have been a pretty sh*t season to be in the Prem for the first time given Covid!
 

Perspective

This sums it up for me. I thought I would feel gutted if we lost. But perspective almost immediately kicked in. That and the fact next season would actually have been a pretty sh*t season to be in the Prem for the first time given Covid!

True, but £160m would have softened the blow.
 

Perspective

The last 2 weeks have shown us that we are not ready for the Prem.
All part of this club and the process

I think you are right about this. We are almost there but I am not sure the belief it quite there yet! I am sure MB and all will be working on this in the coming weeks.
 

Perspective

To any of you Debbie Downers out there, last season we finished 11th with 64 points. Leeds and West Brom were both in the play-offs, Fulham in the Premier League.

This season we have finished 3rd on 81 points....tonight is a bitter pill to swallow but we have made massive progress, had a great season and will be back at it again next season.

Yes we spent a lot in the Summer, but we don't have the same wage bill as clubs like Leeds, West Brom and Fulham and we don't have the history of spending they have.

Also, last time we lost a play-off final we secured the automatics the season after.

We're on an upward trajectory, look forward and enjoy the ride

No one is denying the progress we made. But I don’t like being called a Debbie downer. We bottled it, not once not twice but three times. We only got ourselves to blame but to be honest I don’t blame anyone. We just didn’t have that mental strength to cross that line. It’s a simple fact. No one is not suggesting the progress we made but some are right to be down. This was our year in a poor league. Maybe next year will be but who knows. We still go on supporting them.

The players, management, MB and club are hurting right now - are they all Debbie downers ?
 

Perspective

This was our year in a poor league. Maybe next year will be but who knows. We still go on supporting them.

Next season the division will be poorer IMO.

Nothing to fear, but ourselves.
 

Perspective

Ok. Bye. Now make good on your claim and **** off. And when you’ve ****ed off, **** off some more. And just keep ****ing of until we can no longer see you. Then **** off again.

So just to be clear are you suggesting he ****s off?
 

Perspective

No one is denying the progress we made. But I don’t like being called a Debbie downer. We bottled it, not once not twice but three times. We only got ourselves to blame but to be honest I don’t blame anyone. We just didn’t have that mental strength to cross that line. It’s a simple fact. No one is not suggesting the progress we made but some are right to be down. This was our year in a poor league. Maybe next year will be but who knows. We still go on supporting them.

The players, management, MB and club are hurting right now - are they all Debbie downers ?

Im not sure the Debbie Downer description fits you! Think it was more aimed at the people slagging off the players and wanting to get rid of half the team!
 

Perspective

I’ve thought carefully about what I feel this morning, as it it is so easy to kick out at the obvious frustrations, sadness and anger. We all feel different stages of those emotions after last night.
I just about saved the TV set from being kicked over at about 10.15pm!

We can all point at various moments and incidents, both in the match, and during the season, where we could have done this that and the other.
Collectively on here, it’s been done from every angle

The fact is we can’t change anything that’s happened. It’s all history, for right or wrong, it’s happened.

As fans, me halfway through 6 decades of seeing it all and persevering through it all, and as a club, we now have to channel all that frustration and anger into a collective positive energy that takes us forwards, being even better, and therefore upwards.

We have just under 6 weeks to regroup, take a deep breath, and get on with it by truly supporting the club, the team, and each other.

‘We are Brentford’ has to mean that from whatever tries to knock us over, we stand up again.

Just some final thoughts -

1. We need to channel frustrated anger into ‘fighting’ for those wins, whatever it takes. For example, I know it is theoretical but if we were playing a second leg of a final tonight, we would crush anyone because of that anger.

2. The team has done us proud, and whoever remains and whoever comes in, my support is unwavering, frustrated yes, but unwavering.

3. I would not have enjoyed seeing that our first few home games in the PL would be against teams such as Liverpool, Arsenal, Man.City, etc... and that none of us could be there. What a waste of an amazing experience.

4. The myth of what colour shirts we wear in a play-off is now proven to be irrelevant.

5. Entering our 7th consecutive season as a now long established Championship club is amazing.

6.We have a brilliantly well run club through every level.

7. With the true, never giving up (unlike some on here) Bees supporter, we are capable of bouncing back, just like the season after the "Incident at the Crossbar"! Good title for a movie!

Sad? Yes!
Angry? Yes!
Miserable 24 hours? Yes!

However, those emotions will all soon be dispatched to the dustbin; and I’ll be back there, resilient, believing in the team, and enjoying the next phase of my lifetime club!
 

Perspective

True, but £160m would have softened the blow.

Yeah, for the club but not as a fan! Watching everything on TV is excruciating!
 

Perspective

After last night's game , my son was sacked as Brentford manager on FIFA after getting us to ninth in the Prem. Now, that is real perspective!!
 

Perspective

After last night's game , my son was sacked as Brentford manager on FIFA after getting us to ninth in the Prem. Now, that is real perspective!!

Art imitating life.

It would seem even in the virtual world there are some pretty irrational club owners too
 

Perspective

Have wandered up and down the country watching my team at those hotbeds of Football, Hartlepool, Newport County Darlington etc If you had told me we would, after a 46 game season, finish the 3rd best team in the second tier of English football playing some sublimely outrageous football I would have sent for the men in White coats. To framework that achievement nobody under the age of 81 has witnessed us in that league position.

We have suffered all sorts of disappointments and heart wrenching moments and certainly during my first 40/50 years of support rushed from one crisis to another. Takeovers, flirting with relegation out of the football league and nearly going out of business and vanishing to the wilds of Woking.

However under the stewardship of MB things are different, the club doesn’t wallow in the depths of despair and recrimination, instead we use these upsets, Yeovil, Doncaster etc as the building blocks for a more successful future and I have no doubt the blueprints for the next attack on the Championship are already in place.

There will be challenges in the transfer market this Summer but we do things differently to other clubs, we don’t react but instead prepare and I am fully confident that we already have replacements in house, they may have different strengths and attributes so possibly not to many incomings

I avoid the Twitter and Facebook communities as they seem to be populated by children demanding instant success. I will however take great pleasure reading the GPG over the next few months: the demand for at least 7 new strikers, the demand for change if we are not too after 10 games plus the usual compliment of posters writing players off after just a few games.???

I note that some posters have already decided that next season will be the easiest and that we have no one to fear. A dangerous proposition as clubs with far more money than us will rate their chances highly. I would suggest however that all the Managers in the Championship will be very wary of that rag tag and bobtail club in West London

As I pointed out at the beginning we don’t do instant success but, like a great red wine, will mature until it’s ready at which point we can enjoy a fantastic bouquet for a scintillating Tasty product that will blow the opposition away and make all the disappointments of the past be just a distant memory
 

Perspective

Indian Bee is right to say that we lacked the mental strength to get over the line. In my 55 years I can think of very few times when we manifested that mental strength but a load of times when we haven't to the extent that failure is almost expected. There is something in the psyche of this club, going back to the last war, that perpetuates this and it doesn't matter who the owner, manager, or players are it has continued to this day. I think the move to LR could be the time to finally rid ourselves of this mindset, the catalyst for change. I still love the club and this had been the best Brentford side I've ever seen but we need to recognise that there is a fundamental problem which needs addressing.
 

Perspective

i know that over the course of a season a lot of things can go for you or against you that can eventually determine your final league position, but had we won our opening one sided game against Birmingham at home, we would now be in the Premier League and Birmingham would be in League 1. Just a thought!!
 

Perspective

I don't agree with your analysis at all. We were not the better team as temperament and tactics are key parts of the equation and clearly this set of players failed to perform in 3 of the final 5 crunch matches of the season. The campaign tests all elements of a squad's qualities and in these areas we were found wanting. The pressure that we'd have been under in the Premiership would have been unremitting so we have to rebuild paying attention to these frailties.

Ok, devils advocate.

Name one Brentford player you would replace with a fulham player. Name and position.

Personally none. A few would make out bench but on the strength of the whole season none.
 

Perspective

I'm sorry guys, I know it hurts, but my perspective is this: Brentford had THREE chances to get promoted to PL and failed miserably every time. You can play all the fancy football in the world, but without winning mentality you'll never get to PL.

I don't know what is the reason for players embarrassing levels of mental weakness at crucial stages of the season, did people in charge not pay enough attention to that aspect of the game, or is it something else, but unless that is sorted, Brentford won't be seriously challenging for the promotion.

Some people said Brentford were arrogant, I don't think so, they just looked well scared of opportunity to play in PL. Perhaps those players don't believe they're good enough for highest level of English football?

Either way, good luck next season, but it'll be very difficult to achieve automatic promotion.

I might be mistaken but I thought we seriously challenged for promotion for the season just finished? :confused:

I think we should have more faith in Thomas and MB. Last summer we needed to address the lack of experience and defensive mentality. In came Pontus, Ethan and Norgaard, box ticked.

I suspect they will analyse the weaknesses which saw us struggle to get over the line this season, address and we will undoubtedly challenge again next season and hopefully go one better.
 

Perspective

Must admit I feel better than I thought this morning although my expectations in the playoffs were so low I was probably expecting nothing more. It still hurts like hell. At least I can say I have seen every one of our record amount of failures in the play-offs! What saddens me most is my father saying that was probably his last opportunity to see the Bees in the top flight again. I hope that isn’t the case but you can’t ignore the fact that this was a golden opportunity. 3 bites at the cherry and we didn’t take one. When we will get a similar “easier” route to the Premiership I am not sure. I hope it is sooner rather than later.

Some reflections I had overnight.
• Why oh why could we not play with the same intensity we saw against Swansea in the 2nd leg and again when it was too late yesterday? I know Fulham did a job on us but Thomas said we would attack and to me we were far too pedestrian and cautious. We needed to move the ball faster with players moving into space. I know easier said than done, and you can’t keep it up the whole match, but 20 minutes of that can change the game.
• How many poor, and potentially game changing, decisions did we have against us in last few games starting with the blatant penalty when Pinnock was pulled down against Stoke and ending with some of the decisions last night. I am no doubt bias but always seems to happen.
• As much as I like Benrahma, and he is brilliant at times, he has too many days like last night for me where he tries to do too much and picks the wrong option. We will miss him a lot for sure but somehow I don’t think we will be the biggest loss from this side. If we only lost him and replaced with someone who has maybe not the same flair but more consistency then I am not sure that would be a bad thing. Sadly, I don’t think he will be the only departure.
• This is still a very young side and I think that told in the end. You can't blame the team but Fulham just had that little bit more experience. Hopefully those players left next season will learn.
• Whatever the disappointment we all have it has been a brilliant season watching the best team I have seen in 50 years watching. One we would never have experienced without our owner and for that we should be eternally grateful.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Lots to look forward to next season. Here is hoping we never have to go through the pain of the playoffs again. If we do next time I will keep away and maybe our luck will change ��.
 

Perspective

I'm sorry guys, I know it hurts, but my perspective is this: Brentford had THREE chances to get promoted to PL and failed miserably every time. You can play all the fancy football in the world, but without winning mentality you'll never get to PL.

I don't know what is the reason for players embarrassing levels of mental weakness at crucial stages of the season, did people in charge not pay enough attention to that aspect of the game, or is it something else, but unless that is sorted, Brentford won't be seriously challenging for the promotion.

We actually did address this last summer...remember the season before? We were so mentally weak then, two losses in a row and all the players would turn to playing like cheese. There were no leaders there unfortunately which is why, despite some very good players, we struggled to make top half.

We signed Jansson, we signed Norgaard and Pinnock. We made attempts to sign that leader and stronger mentality of a player, but under pressure, it tells. Had Fulham not scored the winner last night, they wouldn't have been seen as having a stronger mentality last night than us, it was a very dour game until that point. WBA equally kept dropping points in the last couple of games when they appeared as free swings. Pressure does a lot to good players, especially many young ones who haven't had the hurtful experiences to make them stronger.

With Kamo off we'll probably sign another DMF, we need cover for Christian either way. I suspect we'll go for another strong mentality player there. Our style of football requires confidence to pull off.
 
Last edited:

Perspective

Ok, devils advocate.

Name one Brentford player you would replace with a fulham player. Name and position.

Personally none. A few would make out bench but on the strength of the whole season none.
you could say this about Leeds.

Would Dallas get in our team?

Yet he is going to be a Premier League player next season.
 

Perspective

you could say this about Leeds.

Would Dallas get in our team?

Yet he is going to be a Premier League player next season.

The only way he starts more than 10 games is if Bielsa believes that he is some kind of talismanic figure that Leeds cannot play without or they are struggling to stay up. Other than that he's the sort that becomes 'club' captain but rarely contributes and is released to someone like Sheffield Wednesday at the end of next season.
 

Perspective

I'm not too down today. Probably an age thing. I had hoped we would win, but there was something niggling away at me. Their experience, the fact that they were probably due another win against us. The fact is that some teams out thought us this season especially towards the end, Just think what might have happened if we had been promoted. The top ten in the premiership would quickly work us out and treat us as cannon fodder. Lets learn how to deal with those teams in Championship next season ready to put it into practice in the premiership the following year.
 

Perspective

Outside perspective, from a distance.

Hello all, not many will remember me on here so a little background. Had been a mad Bees fan since sometime in the mid 70's, the John Docherty era so must have been 75/6. Family ties kept me with the club despite moving away until I gradually fell out of love with football in general around 2009/10. Since then only a very sporadic interest and attendance, only managing to wander back for the game against Luton in November to say goodbye to Griffin Park, a place I had spent a lot of my formative years.

Yes the club now has the worst playoff record going and yes, it would appear the players (and perhaps coaches) royally threw away three opportunities to get the the Premier League, one after another. But, the club is a million miles from where I knew it, tinpot Brentford if you like. Other clubs have bought success through chucking money at it, importing big name managers who spent huge amounts in bringing in players to get to the top division. Those castles are built on sand and will eventually crumble away again, the Brentford castle again from a distance, seems to be a different model with firmer foundations. With only a modest budget they finished third and took Fulham all the way in the final.

Who knows what will happen in the summer, who will come in and who will leave, but Brentford move to a new stadium (not in Woking, Feltham or any other far-flung part of south or west London) but actually in Brentford) that should when this pandemic is over (or when government decide the benefits outweigh the risks), move it to the next level. Larger crowds, more income, greater interest combined with the different "Brentford way" will bring success and when it does come, the club will be a better position to make a go of it than it has ever been or some other clubs are now.

Just my two-penneth and I'll sod off again now. See you in another 10 years or so, if I'm spared.
 

Perspective

Had the following message today from a friend of mine, who’s not a Bees supporter but is interested in their progress, because I talk about us a lot when playing golf!

I think he makes an interesting point -

"I am hurting with you - what a disappointment but maybe the Muses/ the Gods /the Whoever, wanted you to be promoted next season via your new fine 17,500 capacity stadium in front of the faithful, and not from the silent Griffin Park."

And would I add not in front of a silent Wembley either!
 

Perspective

Ok, devils advocate.

Name one Brentford player you would replace with a fulham player. Name and position.

Personally none. A few would make out bench but on the strength of the whole season none.

Not worth my time or yours... next
 

Perspective

Outside perspective, from a distance.

Hello all, not many will remember me on here so a little background. Had been a mad Bees fan since sometime in the mid 70's, the John Docherty era so must have been 75/6. Family ties kept me with the club despite moving away until I gradually fell out of love with football in general around 2009/10. Since then only a very sporadic interest and attendance, only managing to wander back for the game against Luton in November to say goodbye to Griffin Park, a place I had spent a lot of my formative years.

Yes the club now has the worst playoff record going and yes, it would appear the players (and perhaps coaches) royally threw away three opportunities to get the the Premier League, one after another. But, the club is a million miles from where I knew it, tinpot Brentford if you like. Other clubs have bought success through chucking money at it, importing big name managers who spent huge amounts in bringing in players to get to the top division. Those castles are built on sand and will eventually crumble away again, the Brentford castle again from a distance, seems to be a different model with firmer foundations. With only a modest budget they finished third and took Fulham all the way in the final.

Who knows what will happen in the summer, who will come in and who will leave, but Brentford move to a new stadium (not in Woking, Feltham or any other far-flung part of south or west London) but actually in Brentford) that should when this pandemic is over (or when government decide the benefits outweigh the risks), move it to the next level. Larger crowds, more income, greater interest combined with the different "Brentford way" will bring success and when it does come, the club will be a better position to make a go of it than it has ever been or some other clubs are now.

Just my two-penneth and I'll sod off again now. See you in another 10 years or so, if I'm spared.

Cracking post, especially the marked part! Please don't wait ten years for the next one! :)
 

Perspective

I am also not as down as I thought I would be. Looking forward to next season. Skybet have us as favourites for promotion!
 

Perspective

I’ve thought carefully about what I feel this morning, as it it is so easy to kick out at the obvious frustrations, sadness and anger. We all feel different stages of those emotions after last night.
I just about saved the TV set from being kicked over at about 10.15pm!

We can all point at various moments and incidents, both in the match, and during the season, where we could have done this that and the other.
Collectively on here, it’s been done from every angle

The fact is we can’t change anything that’s happened. It’s all history, for right or wrong, it’s happened.

As fans, me halfway through 6 decades of seeing it all and persevering through it all, and as a club, we now have to channel all that frustration and anger into a collective positive energy that takes us forwards, being even better, and therefore upwards.

We have just under 6 weeks to regroup, take a deep breath, and get on with it by truly supporting the club, the team, and each other.

‘We are Brentford’ has to mean that from whatever tries to knock us over, we stand up again.

Just some final thoughts -

1. We need to channel frustrated anger into ‘fighting’ for those wins, whatever it takes. For example, I know it is theoretical but if we were playing a second leg of a final tonight, we would crush anyone because of that anger.

2. The team has done us proud, and whoever remains and whoever comes in, my support is unwavering, frustrated yes, but unwavering.

3. I would not have enjoyed seeing that our first few home games in the PL would be against teams such as Liverpool, Arsenal, Man.City, etc... and that none of us could be there. What a waste of an amazing experience.

4. The myth of what colour shirts we wear in a play-off is now proven to be irrelevant.

5. Entering our 7th consecutive season as a now long established Championship club is amazing.

6.We have a brilliantly well run club through every level.

7. With the true, never giving up (unlike some on here) Bees supporter, we are capable of bouncing back, just like the season after the "Incident at the Crossbar"! Good title for a movie!

Sad? Yes!
Angry? Yes!
Miserable 24 hours? Yes!

However, those emotions will all soon be dispatched to the dustbin; and I’ll be back there, resilient, believing in the team, and enjoying the next phase of my lifetime club!

Well said that man !
 

Perspective

Thank you BFC for probably the weirdest, memory laden, most entertaining, nerve-wracking season/year in my 56 years of support!
(Actually 366 days since we started 0 - 1 v Brum 03.08.19).
GPGrs have highlighted the many positives, and some negatives, which seem harder to take when they’ve mainly been in the last couple of weeks. My personal hate was all the media hype. Stuff was going to be written anyway, there was no need to amplify it with seeming unfettered access to everything, and everyone. Looks worse when it goes uptits.

We’ve had a wonderful team and squad for the season, improved immensely on what’s gone before, and with the stats to match.
Oddly, In this goal-laden season, I’ve particularly enjoyed our defending, and love of defending. Not only is that most unBrentford, it’s most unMe! Much has been written about turning round the 1 goal defeats, but to add perspective, only Preston beat us by 2 goals.
If we were to compromise with a bit of a Plan B in those ‘difficult’ games, I’d suggest some nous in midfield to come on 2nd half and help PJ and HD steady the ship.( Where’s Bradley Johnson nowadays?)

Yes, it hurts today, but remember we lost 1 - 2 to Yeovil and went up the next season....
 

Perspective

I'm down at the moment, very down, surprised to be honest as I thought I would be able to handle it better after so many finals and disappointments but feel sh*te today.

Having said that I also always try to look at the big picture and as a club we are in a great place, we have just been one game from the PL, unbelievable really

We will get there and when we do we will stay there

Proud to be a Bee and part of this great family,
 

Perspective

Looking through the posts and I see both sides of discussion & BTW I don’t follow Brentford to see them win the PL, but part of the problem has to be the mentality. How do you move to the next level if you can’t put the past to bed ‘didn’t they do well’ isn’t good enough a bit like England getting to the semi final is success.

I sometimes wonder if underdog mentality is the barrier to achieving the next level.
 

Perspective

I had one of those scam phone calls today. You know those ones which start by saying "We understand you’ve had a recent car accident...blah, blah,"

In a strange way, the timing of this call couldn’t be have been better.
The female caller got several choice words from me, and then she handed over to some guy who said the incredible line "You need to learn some manners", to which my reply was "You need to f*** off my phone line, you stupid pr**k".

I cannot explain enough how therapeutic this was in releasing all the built up tension from last night.

So the next time you get a scam call, just imagine Fulham or that other lot from Shepherds Bush, and just let the caller have it!

I can thoroughly recommend it.
 

Perspective

I was fairly convinced before the game that we would win last night, don't know why, so it was a bit of sickener not to show our game at its best. That's all I wanted really, just to show how good this team is, in the so-called Richest Game in the World (and if I had £1 for every time they used that phrase on Sky, I'd be the Richest Fan in the World).

Woke up in the middle of the night feeling pretty low, and this morning the same, but having had the day to think about it I agree with people saying that it would have been pretty sh*t to have gone up in a game none of us could be at. The whole game felt weird anyway - why was it played on a Tuesday night? - and the 'presentation' was a shambolic non-event. We've been robbed of our farewell to GP: but I'm now looking forward to being crowned champions of 2021 next April, in front of a packed Susan.
 

Perspective

Looking through the posts and I see both sides of discussion & BTW I don’t follow Brentford to see them win the PL, but part of the problem has to be the mentality. How do you move to the next level if you can’t put the past to bed ‘didn’t they do well’ isn’t good enough a bit like England getting to the semi final is success.

I sometimes wonder if underdog mentality is the barrier to achieving the next level.
That may apply to fans but I doubt it occurs to players.
 

Perspective

I had one of those scam phone calls today. You know those ones which start by saying "We understand you’ve had a recent car accident...blah, blah,"

In a strange way, the timing of this call couldn’t be have been better.
The female caller got several choice words from me, and then she handed over to some guy who said the incredible line "You need to learn some manners", to which my reply was "You need to f*** off my phone line, you stupid pr**k".

I cannot explain enough how therapeutic this was in releasing all the built up tension from last night.

So the next time you get a scam call, just imagine Fulham or that other lot from Shepherds Bush, and just let the caller have it!

I can thoroughly recommend it.

How spooky is this:

I had the: "I'm from the Microsoft technical department" call this morning:

I absolutely hung the guy out to dry and I felt so much better afterwards!
 

Perspective

I had one of those scam phone calls today. You know those ones which start by saying "We understand you’ve had a recent car accident...blah, blah,"

In a strange way, the timing of this call couldn’t be have been better.
The female caller got several choice words from me, and then she handed over to some guy who said the incredible line "You need to learn some manners", to which my reply was "You need to f*** off my phone line, you stupid pr**k".

I cannot explain enough how therapeutic this was in releasing all the built up tension from last night.

So the next time you get a scam call, just imagine Fulham or that other lot from Shepherds Bush, and just let the caller have it!

I can thoroughly recommend it.

I take it the missus didn't tell you about the little accident she had !!! :D
 

Perspective

Looking through the posts and I see both sides of discussion & BTW I don’t follow Brentford to see them win the PL, but part of the problem has to be the mentality. How do you move to the next level if you can’t put the past to bed ‘didn’t they do well’ isn’t good enough a bit like England getting to the semi final is success.

I sometimes wonder if underdog mentality is the barrier to achieving the next level.

We move to the next level by winning automatic promotion,and avoiding the playoffs.
 

Perspective

Football without fans is like the game losing a sense. The vibe is missing.
Last night with 10 minutes to go there was nothing from both sides, it was just a match being played in total silence.
We have a winning mentality when we get momentum, but as club we also have a different perspective to setbacks.
Franks’ comment to us the sun will rise tomorrow is a clear Mantra of how the club cooly assess everything.
Football is important in the moment to the players, their families and us the fans, but once it’s gone it’s over.
I have been pleasantly surprised how quickly although hurting the GPG have gained perspective on where we have come from and where we are.
I’ve read no media apart from this site today, scuttled down to Cornwall to see my daughter and felt fine all day.
Frank is right the sun will rise again tomorrow.
Our club play football the right way, exciting thrilling and with frailties.
People wanna watch us but don’t understand us.
I wanted the Premier League, I really did, just like everyone else.
But in life you don’t always get what you queue up for.
In truth I’ve watched a lot of tosh watching Brentford over the years and convinced myself it wasn’t bad.
What I’ve watched this season is fantasy football at times.
To enjoy success we go through the pain, that’s why we have another go at this in a few weeks.
For now the perspective is fine, we blew it, it’s what Brentford does, it’s our team we deal with it.
Do I wanna throw it in, nah it’s in the blood and after the best season in 70 odd, most of us know the team of our lifetime is gonna improve.
We wanted to be a top 10 player in the Championship - 5 years ago.
Now everyone watches us to see what we are up to.
Football can rest for 5 - life can resume - the sun will rise and Frank once rested will tweak the jigsaw pieces once more to finish the puzzle properly.
We have improved season on season for most of the last 10 seasons, improve next season, then we all know what the result will be.
 

Perspective

Football without fans is like the game losing a sense. The vibe is missing.
Last night with 10 minutes to go there was nothing from both sides, it was just a match being played in total silence.
We have a winning mentality when we get momentum, but as club we also have a different perspective to setbacks.
Franks’ comment to us the sun will rise tomorrow is a clear Mantra of how the club cooly assess everything.
Football is important in the moment to the players, their families and us the fans, but once it’s gone it’s over.
I have been pleasantly surprised how quickly although hurting the GPG have gained perspective on where we have come from and where we are.
I’ve read no media apart from this site today, scuttled down to Cornwall to see my daughter and felt fine all day.
Frank is right the sun will rise again tomorrow.
Our club play football the right way, exciting thrilling and with frailties.
People wanna watch us but don’t understand us.
I wanted the Premier League, I really did, just like everyone else.
But in life you don’t always get what you queue up for.
In truth I’ve watched a lot of tosh watching Brentford over the years and convinced myself it wasn’t bad.
What I’ve watched this season is fantasy football at times.
To enjoy success we go through the pain, that’s why we have another go at this in a few weeks.
For now the perspective is fine, we blew it, it’s what Brentford does, it’s our team we deal with it.
Do I wanna throw it in, nah it’s in the blood and after the best season in 70 odd, most of us know the team of our lifetime is gonna improve.
We wanted to be a top 10 player in the Championship - 5 years ago.
Now everyone watches us to see what we are up to.
Football can rest for 5 - life can resume - the sun will rise and Frank once rested will tweak the jigsaw pieces once more to finish the puzzle properly.
We have improved season on season for most of the last 10 seasons, improve next season, then we all know what the result will be.

Well said
 
Back
Top Bottom