Supes42
oh we love yer baldy head
Phil Holder
I've had an email from a chap trying to trace his whereabouts, does anyone know what he's up to these days?
The only man in my lifetime to ever take the Bees into the 2nd tier. So we got unlucky with injuries and went down again. I don't care. And I don't care about his doubters. The man is a legend! :thetruth:
I don't care about his doubters. The man is a legend! :thetruth:
the sqaud Perryman left him did help him alot, to replace Holdsworth with that donkey and that shocking run after xmas, Lange had a chance to sack him then:sad:
There is no doubt that Perryman left him a good squad. However, under Perryman we had one (very) good cup run but we never set the league alight. The point is, Holder got much more out of the same players, which got us to the play offs (for the first time) in his first season and the Div 3 (as was) title in his second.
As you say, up to Xmas the following year we were going well, before it all fell apart. Obviously Murray Jones was a disaster, but I never understood why he brought in "experienced" players such as Kenny Sansom and Alan Dickens who were clearly past it and stopped playing the younger players (Grant Chalmers, Lee Luscombe to name two) who had helped play a part in the good run before Xmas.
Two words - Wilf Rostron!!
I think Rostron had more influence than we realised at the time. Once he stopped playing as a result of injury and concentrated totally on the coaching side, that's when the style of play deteriorated and added to the signings you mention, it all went downhil rapidly.
Two words - Wilf Rostron!!
I think Rostron had more influence than we realised at the time. Once he stopped playing as a result of injury and concentrated totally on the coaching side, that's when the style of play deteriorated and added to the signings you mention, it all went downhil rapidly.
There is no doubt that Perryman left him a good squad. However, under Perryman we had one (very) good cup run but we never set the league alight. The point is, Holder got much more out of the same players, which got us to the play offs (for the first time) in his first season and the Div 3 (as was) title in his second.
As you say, up to Xmas the following year we were going well, before it all fell apart. Obviously Murray Jones was a disaster, but I never understood why he brought in "experienced" players such as Kenny Sansom and Alan Dickens who were clearly past it and stopped playing the younger players (Grant Chalmers, Lee Luscombe to name two) who had helped play a part in the good run before Xmas.
I think in 1991/92 Blissett and Holdsworth were fit for most of the season and thats why we won the league.
hense why we never went up the season beforeMurray Jones is a point I must concede on. However, this Geordie Joe bashing - I'm not avin' it!Sorry but nice guy or not, promotion previous season or not if you sign the players he did like Joe Allon, Murray Jones etc then you are not the man for me.
Steve Perryman put the exceptional title winning squad together and deserves more credit than Holder. He had an eye for talented young players and wanted to play good football. If he had stayed I believe we would have stayed up and kicked on from there. Just my opinion obviously.
I also believe we now have another manager who can pick a player from nowhere and wants to play the right way. Lets just hope we can keep him longer than Mr Perryman. These guys are worth their weight in gold.
The only mistake Noddy made with him was that he didn't use him enough! He was a bit unfortunate with that toe of his and other injuries but I genuinely believe if PH had had a little more faith in him (where's the Joe Allon doubter now?
Great signing, great character, great striker - very unfortunate ending. Wish he was 20 years younger and we could sign him now!A goal every other game then? That's a bad return is it? And makes me stupid?Joe Allon 56 games 28 goals!
I don't think so. Particularly when you consider he was probably only on the pitch for the last 10 minutes of most of those games.A goal every other game then? That's a bad return is it? And makes me stupid?I don't think so. Particularly when you consider he was probably only on the pitch for the last 10 minutes of most of those games.
I think you'll find he's agreeing with you. And so am I.I liked the crisp,passing game that Phil brought to the club![]()
No matter what we think of Holder, he got us out of that league.
![]()

Selling flowers in Kempton Market apparently. For peanuts I expect.Noddy, a legend, got us up to Div 2 or 1 whatever. That was a fantastic night around Brentford, the best ever. madness at the ground and got a great pic of me and him right by the top of the steps by the club office. Where is he then?
Murray Jones is a point I must concede on. However, this Geordie Joe bashing - I'm not avin' it!The only mistake Noddy made with him was that he didn't use him enough! He was a bit unfortunate with that toe of his and other injuries but I genuinely believe if PH had had a little more faith in him (where's the Joe Allon doubter now?
) we'd have survived that year.
I read so much negative stuff about Joe Allon, what a bad signing he was etc., but it's an absolute 'old wives tale'. A myth seems to have been created that he wasn't a popular player but it's a complete nonesense. Those who can remember - think back very carefully. He was a huge terrace favourite at the time. We loved him. So where did this negative vibe about him come from?Great signing, great character, great striker - very unfortunate ending. Wish he was 20 years younger and we could sign him now!
kenny sansom did a great job for usThere is no doubt that Perryman left him a good squad. However, under Perryman we had one (very) good cup run but we never set the league alight. The point is, Holder got much more out of the same players, which got us to the play offs (for the first time) in his first season and the Div 3 (as was) title in his second.
As you say, up to Xmas the following year we were going well, before it all fell apart. Obviously Murray Jones was a disaster, but I never understood why he brought in "experienced" players such as Kenny Sansom and Alan Dickens who were clearly past it and stopped playing the younger players (Grant Chalmers, Lee Luscombe to name two) who had helped play a part in the good run before Xmas.
Two words - Wilf Rostron!!
I think Rostron had more influence than we realised at the time. Once he stopped playing as a result of injury and concentrated totally on the coaching side, that's when the style of play deteriorated and added to the signings you mention, it all went downhil rapidly.
kenny sansom did a great job for us
?
Rostron only played twice that season the opening day loss and one sub appearance. It was Chris Houghton at left back who we missed so badly once he got injured at Sunderland.
I was a fan of Chalmers but I think you're the first person I've ever known to agree with me Wise Old Bee! He's always been heavily slated and I don't know why. I thought he looked quality the few times he was given a game.We did well considering Terry Evans was missing for a huge chunk of the season. Joe Allon was a good signing, albeit at £275k, but it's true some of the loan players were not up to it. I liked Chalmers and Luscombe too and would have liked Detzi to have played more than he did. I was never Holder's biggest fan but his achievement in getting us into the top half of the league says it all and he goes into my BFC hall of fame for that.
I was a fan of Chalmers but I think you're the first person I've ever known to agree with me Wise Old Bee! He's always been heavily slated and I don't know why. I thought he looked quality the few times he was given a game.![]()
Agree it was mostly Perrymans team that got up up, Never forgiven Holder for slagging the fans off at GP after the Peterborough Game 
Surprised no one has mentioned that Joe Allon missed the latter part of the season after having his jaw broke in training by Micky Bennett :sad: Cost us dearly, felt sorry for Bliss 21 goals in a relegation team, but Murray Jones for DeanoAgree it was mostly Perrymans team that got up up, Never forgiven Holder for slagging the fans off at GP after the Peterborough Game
![]()
Where are his daffodils now?
Holder deserves great credit for the Championship. Considering he was a full back himself, I could never understand why he did'nt shore up the left back position the next season earlier. Who can forget Marcus Gayle v Millwall?
Sansom was well past his best,but did a job. Too little, too late.
Yes. I seem to remember that we were doing pretty well - were we about
6th or so? until we suddenly got hit by a spate of defensinve injuries, mainly at left back.
Would love to see what Bliss post on this thread.
No matter what we think of Holder, he got us out of that league.
![]()
Yes. I seem to remember that we were doing pretty well - were we about
6th or so? until we suddenly got hit by a spate of defensinve injuries, mainly at left back.
Failing to keep Holdsworth by granting him the payrise he wanted, not getting an even half decent replacement, and losing Big Tel for virtually all season. 2 out of 3 not Noddys fault, Murray Jones was down to him though!
Agree, He did the best he could with with what he had available to him IMHO.fair comment, but have to say in my time i think every manager there has been there has been a poor signing! and cant blame that one signing for getting relegated as there were other players throughout the season.
Sansom who was happy to trot around and collect the money.
Got to disagree on both counts. Sansom was a troubled soul when he signed for us and he STILL looked in a class of his own from the centre of the New Road.Sansom did not trot around when playing for us. He wobbled.
What did Noddy do directly after leaving us?
Was the opinion that he 'only' took Perryman's team up shared by the footballing world?