Please lets keep our dignity

Thorne In The Side

Active member
Joined
12 May 2000
Messages
4,573
Reaction score
3
Location
Ashford

Please lets keep our dignity

I know that everyone who cares about Brentford Football Club will class this as a very dark day indeed and one that arouses many emotions which include a certain amount of anger, but please take five minutes and think before posting - Lets make sure we keep our dignity as supporters and not run the name of the greatest football club in the land any further down than it already is.
I feel absolutley gutted about the way the club has fallen of late and it's hard to defend certain individuals on the back of it, but please make a fair footballing argument and not one that is linked with personal feelings on those in question.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

I think many of the posts made so far have been considered and measured in their assessment of the situation.
Suprisingly so considering the depth of feeling in the aftermath of another terrible defeat.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Ricko said:
I know that everyone who cares about Brentford Football Club will class this as a very dark day indeed and one that arouses many emotions which include a certain amount of anger, but please take five minutes and think before posting - Lets make sure we keep our dignity as supporters and not run the name of the greatest football club in the land any further down than it already is.
I feel absolutley gutted about the way the club has fallen of late and it's hard to defend certain individuals on the back of it, but please make a fair footballing argument and not one that is linked with personal feelings on those in question.

Rick ,A man of BFC through and through .Have you not seen whats been happening and pretendings its not ? Its not a time to hide .My anger has been poured till its no more.We all bleed red and white,some bleed stronger in their eyes,maybe.Weve argued in pubs ,in the club and on the internet in the last few weeks .I have aliented people,who after discussion, I hope will be my friends.I hope the correct decission ( SP ?) will be decided, come what may,then lets all reunite and fight for what ,we,our fathers and their fathers brought us here for

BRENTFORD FC ,BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD ( Even if were a bit sh*t at the mo ;) )
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Ricko said:
I know that everyone who cares about Brentford Football Club will class this as a very dark day indeed and one that arouses many emotions which include a certain amount of anger, but please take five minutes and think before posting - Lets make sure we keep our dignity as supporters and not run the name of the greatest football club in the land any further down than it already is.
I feel absolutley gutted about the way the club has fallen of late and it's hard to defend certain individuals on the back of it, but please make a fair footballing argument and not one that is linked with personal feelings on those in question.

Spot on.

Bigbee - A number of your posts crack me up laughing (in a good way!), but I was disgusted to hear all the vitriol for Downes, whilst people were still clapping the players off, and even singing their names (Dobbo).

The players have also let us down.

Dobbo - 2 corners not even on the pitch! 3rd goal, down to him.

Rougier in the box. Swing the left foot, let Evans (better placed) have a shot, or dive badly. Guess which option our religious saviour takes! To cheat. Disgusting; 50 hail marys for you tomorrow.

Just two points that no manager can control. The players have a lot to answer for as well as Downes.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

To be quite honest, I barely care a sh*t anymore. We are getting the club we deserve and perhaps the sooner we give up and accept the inevitable the better?
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Re: Re: Please lets keep our dignity

Whitton Borders Bee said:
Spot on.

The players have a lot to answer for as well as Downes.

And just who do we pay to train, coach and motivate the players in order that such fundamental mistakes are not made?

Answers please to John McGlashen at Griffin Park.

I regularly sit with five Bees fans in Brook Road. Between us we have almost 150 years of GP attendance under our belts (and we're far from old gits). To a man we cheered the players but resolved not to renew our season tickets if the board fail to show the balls needed to sack the worst manager any of us can remember.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Re: Re: Re: Please lets keep our dignity

Nigel Brooks said:
I regularly sit with five Bees fans in Brook Road. Between us we have almost 150 years of GP attendance under our belts (and we're far from old gits).
rofl rofl rofl

150/5 = 30
30 + c >= 45 (where c is the minimum season ticket purchasing age)

45 >= "old gits" according to my nephew.

But of a greater concern is that you only sit with 5 bees fans in Brook Road. I must be seeing double ;)
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Re: Re: Re: Re: Please lets keep our dignity

Banana said:
rofl rofl rofl

150/5 = 30
30 + c >= 45 (where c is the minimum season ticket purchasing age)

45 >= "old gits" according to my nephew.

But of a greater concern is that you only sit with 5 bees fans in Brook Road. I must be seeing double ;)

...........oh whats the point
 
Last edited:

Please lets keep our dignity

Ricko said:
I know that everyone who cares about Brentford Football Club will class this as a very dark day indeed and one that arouses many emotions which include a certain amount of anger, but please take five minutes and think before posting - Lets make sure we keep our dignity as supporters and not run the name of the greatest football club in the land any further down than it already is.
I feel absolutley gutted about the way the club has fallen of late and it's hard to defend certain individuals on the back of it, but please make a fair footballing argument and not one that is linked with personal feelings on those in question.

The board can help the fans keep their dignity by getting on with the inevitable.

People dont want to have to resort to undignified demos in the forecourt and shouldnt have to.
 
Last edited:

Please lets keep our dignity

I think a lot of people on here are sick of going through this every week - Some like Luton just can't be bothered anymore - And I can't blame him.

Is the board a fan's board or what? Aren't they supposed to listen to the fans views and act accordingly?

SACK HIM!

Nigel - Did you ever here from JM via email?
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Re: Re: Re: Please lets keep our dignity

Nigel Brooks said:
And just who do we pay to train, coach and motivate the players in order that such fundamental mistakes are not made?

Answers please to John McGlashen at Griffin Park.

I regularly sit with five Bees fans in Brook Road. Between us we have almost 150 years of GP attendance under our belts (and we're far from old gits). To a man we cheered the players but resolved not to renew our season tickets if the board fail to show the balls needed to sack the worst manager any of us can remember.

It doesn't matter how much training, motivation & preparation is done if the players just dont do it on the day.

We had enough chances to score today even late on with Rougier being the prime culprit & our defending from players who should know better was poor.

You cant absolve the players from blame just as Downes deserves his share for not picking Tabb from the start & for taking May off when it should have been Wright(unless he was injured).

IMHO though he picked a team that should have won today & some of the players let us down.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

You'll see more organised defences down any park. While the individuals we have are all, to a man, decent players - as a unit they are clueless - and this is the case no matter who plays. Perm any 4 from Dobbo, Somner, Sonko, Frampton, Kitamarike, Bull, Fieldwick, and previously Roget. Why do you think that is.

Can I just also add, that perhaps Ricko & Greenholme Bee should rename their fanzine Arm Round The Back?

Of the two fanzines TITS in my opinion was once the most caustic and (at times overly) critical. Now you appear to be a bit pally with the manager you will barely hear a word said against him! I'm sure if our manager wasn't "one of the lads" he would have been hammered by you a long time ago! Please put your fanzine editor hats back on, because without your usual hard hitting views your fanzine will really lose it's edge!

Also the constant sniping at Mark Peters does you no credit. From where I am sitting he has had very few chances & done little wrong. I might be wrong, but it appears that you are doing our managers dirty work for him by frequently having a pop at him on here.
 
Last edited:

Please lets keep our dignity

Re: Re: Re: Re: Please lets keep our dignity

Banana said:
rofl rofl rofl

150/5 = 30
30 + c >= 45 (where c is the minimum season ticket purchasing age)

45 >= "old gits" according to my nephew.

But of a greater concern is that you only sit with 5 bees fans in Brook Road. I must be seeing double ;)

Sense of humour by-pass on this one.

Must read more carefully, oh so bloody clever one.

I, therefore one, sit with five others therefore six. Oh, so pedantic cheap shot one, we are but six of the hundreds who turn up week in, week out in 'Brook Road Upper'.

150/6 =25

25+5 (where 5 is the minimum age for purchasing season tickets, actually you can have one as a baby) =30. 30 is not old.

Actually I'm the oldest at 48. Silly me, I've forgotten that 42 years of watching the Bees is irrelevant to an opinion, just as long as it gives you ammunition to make another facile post.

Meanwhile back on topic. If the SIX of us are feeling this way, how many more individuals or 'pockets' of fans are not going to be at GP next season due to this debacle.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Aussie Bee said:


Nigel - Did you ever here from JM via email?

No, I'm sending it again tomorrow morning.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

This was my first game since Bristol C on Boxing Day. I had given up shelling out a small fortune every other week for me and my 2 teenage sons to watch rubbish, but not only did I do a prodigal yesterday (as we all do, in spite of what we say!), but I sat much higher than normal, and in the Braemar. Now, and I am prepared for the incoming here, but I thought the play was OK, it was just that most of the players are absolute garbage.

I was able to watch the moves better than from only a few rows up in New Road, and I think that WD's tactics etc seemed OK. Now, I freely admit that not only does he chose the team but also is responsible for motivation etc., so he is still very culpable there, but maybe we should be directing our energy to get him to dump rubbish like Julian, Dobson, Frampton, Wright, May etc., and give some others a chance. They certainly could do no worse than what I witnesses yesterday afternoon.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

We have exhausted the argument of whether the players are good enough to saty in this division, in my view they should be but at present are playing with no beleif whatsoever.

The fault must rest with the management.

I watched the non league game on Friday night and even before the glut of goals both teams were playing neat one touch football ON THE GROUND and not this hit and hope that we have been forced to watch for nearly 2 seasons.

The style of play will work if you have the players that are comfortable with it, eg Deano under Holder but the present team cannot play that way, just occasionally they play "football" and its good but for the most part its hit it high and long with the hope that someone will pick up on it.

If it is as clear to the supporters that the style of playing is not working then why cant the manager and that, in a nutshell, is the problem. He has a style of play and will not change it. It does not suit small forwards, Tabb and Peters, and he is to set in his ways to change.

The players now are confused and brow beaten with confidence levels at all time lows so the only way forward is a change in style, this wont happen with the present management therefore, qed we need new management.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Thomas Bathurst said:
You'll see more organised defences down any park. While the individuals we have are all, to a man, decent players - as a unit they are clueless - and this is the case no matter who plays. Perm any 4 from Dobbo, Somner, Sonko, Frampton, Kitamarike, Bull, Fieldwick, and previously Roget. Why do you think that is.

Can I just also add, that perhaps Ricko & Greenholme Bee should rename their fanzine Arm Round The Back?

Of the two fanzines TITS in my opinion was once the most caustic and (at times overly) critical. Now you appear to be a bit pally with the manager you will barely hear a word said against him! I'm sure if our manager wasn't "one of the lads" he would have been hammered by you a long time ago! Please put your fanzine editor hats back on, because without your usual hard hitting views your fanzine will really lose it's edge!

Also the constant sniping at Mark Peters does you no credit. From where I am sitting he has had very few chances & done little wrong. I might be wrong, but it appears that you are doing our managers dirty work for him by frequently having a pop at him on here.

I think you may have missed my point - Downes cannot be defended after recent performances - he and only he is to blame if the players no longer want to play for him, and after the last few games that is the case, so Downes has to take the blame, but what I am trying to say is that in between all the Downes out chants and demonstartions, which is the right for every fan to express their opinion, the dignity of the club must be kept at the forefront of everyones minds.
I just think that at this moment in time, with all the anger floating around, big damage is being done to the club as a whole.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

longdistancebee said:
get him to dump rubbish like Julian, Dobson, , Wright, May .

Hi LDB - good name from the upper stands lol

I"ve haven't seen a game for about 18 months but all these people you mentioned have had good wraps on this board in that time - at one time or another.

For example before we sold smithy people were saying "let him go - we have Julian" - now all or a sudden he's sh*t

Dobson - make him Capt - he's great - now he's sh*t

Wright - fantastic loan - Leicester's next Linekar - now he's dis-interested and sh*t

LDB - It's the CLOWN not the players fault they are pissed off and not performing - sack Walter tomorrow and watch the players respond
 

Please lets keep our dignity

And for the record the fanzine has always stated that the day that Downes lost the dressing room and that players stopped respondeding to him and giving 100 percent is the day that he must go..... I saw that yesterday!
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Absolutely Aussie Bee. As I said, motivation is a key part of a manager's job and it is indeed true that those who are now of public-park-on-a-sunday-morning standard were good until WD wove his magic spell (King Midas in reverse). Having said that though, I just felt that in those rare moments when we had the ball and actually kept it, and worked it to the wings for crosses, and not daft hoof-ball atctics, we actually looked fleetingly like a football team. Didn't last long though.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Ricko said:
And for the record the fanzine has always stated that the day that Downes lost the dressing room and that players stopped respondeding to him and giving 100 percent is the day that he must go..... I saw that yesterday!

Fair play Ricko for making that statement. I admit that from your previous postings it's not something I thought you would come out with. I have been surprised with your forgiving nature towards Wally up until now given the style that TITS is written in. Obviously friendship can cloud ones judgement - perhaps (and I don't know what your relationship is Wally, so i'm guessing) that is what happened.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Thomas Bathurst said:
Fair play Ricko for making that statement. I admit that from your previous postings it's not something I thought you would come out with. I have been surprised with your forgiving nature towards Wally up until now given the style that TITS is written in. Obviously friendship can cloud ones judgement - perhaps (and I don't know what your relationship is Wally, so i'm guessing) that is what happened.

I've only just logged on Thomas.
Despite what people may think Me and Ricko are not joined to the hip, so I'll have my two penny worth too!

My relationship with Downes is none other than the same any fan could have had.
I found him an approachable individual, that at the time, took over a Club with no finance and the Countries lowest wage bill (Fact).
I have seen Downes on a number of occasions turn up and support the Club on days when he need not have been there, Family Days, Supporters do's etc..

However none of this is good enough reason to keep him as a Manager if he cannnot motivate the team.

Up until the last few weeks, I wanted him to prove everyone wrong.
Putting 'The nice bloke' aside bit, he and his coaching staff have to go if yesterday is their best effort to get a side 'up' for the most important game of the season..

The team were disinterested, and showed no reason from before the kick off to suggest that they had learnt anything from the Luton game..

It was an unexcusable performance and one that should now unfortunatly cost people jobs..

That is not taking anything away from Wally Downes as a person, who probably did do his best. Sometimes for even the nicest of people...The best is not good enough..

This is MY opinion and not possibly not one of my brothers..
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Understood Greenholme Bee.

I think surely we all as Brentford fans, whether detractors or supporters of Wally were hoping he would do well. I know I was quite prepared to change my tune had he suddenly showed that he was prepared to learn from his mistakes - despite questioning him from quite early on.

He, as you say does appear to have some good attributes, namely spotting and managing to get hold of decent players - and he usually talks a good game. He also does come across as a decent guy. In the end though perhaps this wasn't enough.

In a strange way, perhaps yesterdays debacle will pull fans together as the one thing that was dividing us all, we now all seem to agree on.

The board can rectify this situation now by moving swiftly to do the right thing - and perhaps by making the right appointment will encourage the missing 1000 to return to GP and save us from relegation and thus our impending doom. We certainly have the players to avoid the drop - we just need a manager to guide them!
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Ricko said:
I think you may have missed my point - Downes cannot be defended after recent performances - he and only he is to blame if the players no longer want to play for him, and after the last few games that is the case, so Downes has to take the blame, but what I am trying to say is that in between all the Downes out chants and demonstartions, which is the right for every fan to express their opinion, the dignity of the club must be kept at the forefront of everyones minds.
I just think that at this moment in time, with all the anger floating around, big damage is being done to the club as a whole.

How does your comment re dignity square with the Noades demos, etc then?

You cannot pick and chose your cause when it suits!:confused: :confused:
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Thomas Bathurst said:
Fair play Ricko for making that statement. I admit that from your previous postings it's not something I thought you would come out with. I have been surprised with your forgiving nature towards Wally up until now given the style that TITS is written in. Obviously friendship can cloud ones judgement - perhaps (and I don't know what your relationship is Wally, so i'm guessing) that is what happened.

Freindship doesn't come into it although I do respect your opinions and accept the way 'we' may or may not have come across.
I admire Wally for some of the things he has done for the club but it ultimately comes down to results at the end of the day.
From a personal point of view, the reason I have defended Downes so passionately in the past is because I stated at the start of the season that if anyone managing this club can keep us up then it would be an achievement - And going back on that would seem unfair or hypercritical. But as mentioned prior, the moment a manager can no longer motivate players is the time when things have to change. Downes came out and publicly siad that several players weren't up to the challange against Luton, so it's his job to sort that out.....He didn't, it showed on Saturday and it has to be said that he can no longer motivate/scare the players or what ever into playing for him. End of.
It kills me to hear myself or others calling for a managers head because it ultimately means the club as a whole has failed somewhere along the line. However, at times harsh decisions need to be made in the best interests of the club.
I suppose it's a case of watch this space.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Its Bad

We were simply very very poor......we now have a goalkeeping problem.......a centre half who looks disinterested....clueless strikers and an erratic team selection which is biased by who Wally has fallen out with. I have a reliable informant that Steve Hunt came to the ground on Saturday but then left well before kick off.......anyone know why........and does anyone know why the subs bench Tabb apart looked like something out of the wooden tops am pissed off
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Baz Bee said:
How does your comment re dignity square with the Noades demos, etc then?

You cannot pick and chose your cause when it suits!:confused: :confused:

Baz, I aint got a problem with Demo's whether it's for Downes or Noades.
Noades was killing this club in an entirely different way and anything that went his way was fair enough as far as I was concerned because is actions warranted that.
Downes on the other hand is maybe just showing that he is simply not up to the job as a manager in many peoples eyes. If you feel a demo is what it takes to oust him then fair enough, but I don't like Downes being made out as a person that is purposly destroying the club and enjoying it along the way.
When I mentioned that we should keep our dignity i think it was misconstrued as saying that we should all sit on our hands, say nothing and except everything....totally not the case, but lets make sure we do it in a repectable manner!
 

Please lets keep our dignity

I agree with Ricko - we want Downes to go, but personal vilification of him is demeaning and unnecessary. I hope he is successful in the future as he is a decent and honest bloke, but right now, I want someone else in charge of our team.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

I would imagine that the majority beleive that Wally has tried his best, lets face it he would rather be succesful and move onto better things that having a relegation on his CV. I am also quite happy to beleive that he is a "good bloke" and wants success. As such as a person we should not denegrate him.

What must be looked at is his ability to get anything out of a "reasonable" bunch of players and that is the big stumbling block. We have a team that cannot play his preferred way of playing, ie a long hoof and chase, and in recent weeks have shown little commitment to getting themselves out of the mess they are in.

I hold Wally responsible for the lack of motivation and poor tactical awareness however i also hold many of the players responsible for failing to show professionalism in their levels of commitment and effort.
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Re: Its Bad

moribee said:
and does anyone know why the subs bench Tabb apart looked like something out of the wooden tops

:) :) :)
 

Please lets keep our dignity

Edmundo said:
I agree with Ricko - we want Downes to go, but personal vilification of him is demeaning and unnecessary. I hope he is successful in the future as he is a decent and honest bloke, but right now, I want someone else in charge of our team.
I totally agree, the only difference is that I also wanted this about January last year..:(
 
Back
Top Bottom