Programme Sales

ChertseyBee

Active member
Joined
29 Aug 2012
Messages
3,592
Reaction score
3,805

Programme Sales

Last season, when they insisted on card only payments for programmes, I pretty much stopped buying them, just because the queues outside the south stand were ridiculous. I’ve since bought one on a few occasions, only when I’ve had time to queue up.

Yesterday, I arrived around 2:30 and so thought I’d join the queue near the south stand ticket office. It was so incredible it was almost laughable. I was still in the queue at 2:55! You might wonder why I bothered to wait, but I was just intrigued as to how long it would actually take. Apparently the credit card handheld machine was on a go-slow!!

Lots of people, obviously, were giving up and leaving the queue, but several of us had struck up a decent conversation and we waited… and waited and waited and waited!

When we eventually got the the front of the queue, about 2:57 (!) the exasperated seller said that his machine was taking several minutes (yes minutes!) per transaction. The bloke in front of me had his card declined twice, before giving up and going into the ground. My card did go through and the seller was just saying ‘this is a nightmare’

I wonder if anyone at the club could justify the logic behind not taking card AND cash payments. It just seems bizarre. They must lose so many sales.
 
Last edited:

Programme Sales

Last season, when they insisted on card only payments for programmes, I pretty much stopped buying them, just because the queues outside the south stand were ridiculous. I’ve since bought one on a few occasions, only when I’ve had time to queue up.

Yesterday, I arrived around 2:30 and so thought I’d join the queue near the south stand ticket office. It was so incredible it was almost laughable. I was still in the queue at 2:55! You might wonder why I bothered to wait, but I was just intrigued as to how long it would actually take. Apparently the credit card handheld machine was on a go-slow!!

Lots of people, obviously, were giving up and leaving the queue, but several of us had struck up a decent conversation and we waited… and waited and waited and waited!

When we eventually got the the front of the queue, about 2:57 (!) the exasperated seller said that his machine was taking several minutes (yes minutes!) per transaction. The bloke in front of me had his card declined twice, before giving up and going into the ground. My card did go through and the seller was just saying ‘this is a nightmare’

I wonder if anyone at the club could justify the logic behind not taking card AND cash payments. It just seems bizarre. They must lose so many sales.
To refuse cash at football grounds or indeed anywhere should be made illegal!
 

Programme Sales

Surely handling cash and change would be slower than taking card payments?

Also I guess cash is a pain in the arse in terms of handling, storing, processing at banks etc.
 

Programme Sales

Surely handling cash and change would be slower than taking card payments?

Also I guess cash is a pain in the arse in terms of handling, storing, processing at banks etc.
All I would say is that, ignoring yesterday‘s farce, I never saw massive queues for programmes at Griffin Park, but they seem a regular occurrence at the GTech. Even allowing for much bigger crowds, there are far more programme outlets, but all seem to have lengthy queues. There are often two sellers present, surely one could take card payments and one cash? ?‍♂️
 

Programme Sales

Agree with @ChertseyBee, some people always have exact change for the programmes. I always had set aside a few quid coins back at GP for programme- £2 back then. Haven't bought a programme since the Premier League Opener, and afraid for my own sake to see how much they cost nowadays
 

Programme Sales

Cash would have been a lot quicker than Saturday when I arrived. Machine wasn’t working properly
 

Programme Sales

We're told by the club website that programmes are sold on LRS on the Railway bridge, and nearer the club shop outside Magnet. Apart from a few early games last season, there hasnt been, only on the bridge. He's sold out on at least a couple of occasions this season, 20 minutes or so before ko. Selling out hasn't been a problem recently, but the longer queue because no one selling neat Magnet is a problem. Also, it's such a bundle on the club shop before ko time, I would never go in there just to buy a programme. I did however buy one on Saturday at the merchandise on North stand concourse.
 

Programme Sales

Surely handling cash and change would be slower than taking card payments?

Also I guess cash is a pain in the arse in terms of handling, storing, processing at banks etc.
That’s the club’s problem. Not the fans. We’re the customers. Give us a variety of options to pay.

This is the entire issue: “it’s too much hassle”.
 

Programme Sales

That’s the club’s problem. Not the fans. We’re the customers. Give us a variety of options to pay.

This is the entire issue: “it’s too much hassle”.
Couldn't agree more and not being able to use cash is an increasingly trend in society I don't like. The response is always 'it's quicker and more convenient.' Yes, but for who? Certainly not all consumers.
 

Programme Sales

The club should operate with a ‘back up’ plan to the card reader machines. They are relatively slow with processing the transaction. i arrive around 1430 and the seller on the railway bridge always has long queues. Another seller near Magnet (seems to have disappeared) would help. Seen other clubs operate with 2 staff on each outlet. One processing the transaction, one dealing with the supprter.
 

Programme Sales

If you're in the North stand, the merchandise stall has programmes. I get mine there. It's been a quick process so far.
 

Programme Sales

I put air in the car tyres on Saturday. The garage next to sky sports. The card machine to pay is permanently just set to £1 and you just need to swipe. It was utterly instant. Can JV or Benny Hill nip in on their way to work and ask them where they bought it from ?
 

Programme Sales

I met a fella at Cray Wanderers the other week who is printing online programmes.
He is doing rather well.
Good luck to him.
 

Programme Sales

I put air in the car tyres on Saturday. The garage next to sky sports. The card machine to pay is permanently just set to £1 and you just need to swipe. It was utterly instant. Can JV or Benny Hill nip in on their way to work and ask them where they bought it from ?
I don’t understand why they haven’t been like this from day one, fixed price tap, charities been doing it for years. For such a low value is it even worth waiting for the response if the signal is poor they could just authorise all en masse when back in the office.
 

Programme Sales

I don’t understand why they haven’t been like this from day one, fixed price tap, charities been doing it for years. For such a low value is it even worth waiting for the response if the signal is poor they could just authorise all en masse when back in the office.
Yeah silly they have to keep entering the price.
As I said, on Saturday the lad could have severed more customers and quicker if taking cash. As others have said, normally would have the right change ready.
 

Programme Sales

I don’t understand why they haven’t been like this from day one, fixed price tap, charities been doing it for years. For such a low value is it even worth waiting for the response if the signal is poor they could just authorise all en masse when back in the office.
Yes, I fed this back after the very first friendly game at the Gtech.
 

Programme Sales

Cash for the ladies games,but bits of plastic for us.
An FA event as opposed to a BFC event I guess.
 

Programme Sales

I haven’t bought a programme for years. Out of interest, what’s in it that you can’t find online?
 

Programme Sales

They were taking cash last night for the ladies programmes
Lol no way.

So London Irish get events in the car park behind West Stand, Women's game, fans get to use cash... and let me guess the B team games you can buy burgers with onions and chips. :D
 

Programme Sales

I haven’t bought a programme for years. Out of interest, what’s in it that you can’t find online?
Match action photos, long read historical articles, ex player interviews (a lengthy interview with Gordon Sweetzer in the Newcastle edition), good coverage from the visitors perspective - and best of all you get to keep it forever unlike the ephemeral nature of online content. Its an excellent production these days and not bad value at £4 for 100 pages. If you can find somebody to sell one to you, that is.
 

Programme Sales

Although I hate most things Manure, was actually quite impressed by their programme last week. Interestingly both theirs and Brighton's £3.50 against our £4.00.
 

Programme Sales

Sorry for thread resurrection.

My son is going to be one of the mascots this Saturday (excitement levels off the chart given its two days after his tenth birthday, combined with Toney’s return - tho how he’ll explain the Mbuemo name on the shirt is for him to worry about….) and they can take something into the warm up room to get signed by players.

I think best thing to use is a match day protramme, but I’m slightly at a loss whether I’ll be able to get one as we have to be at entrance C for 315pm. Any idea where I can get a programme from before that time? Do they sell them early doors from the club shop?

also any other (sensible!!) alternative suggestions to a programme welcomed!!
 

Programme Sales

Sorry for thread resurrection.

My son is going to be one of the mascots this Saturday (excitement levels off the chart given its two days after his tenth birthday, combined with Toney’s return - tho how he’ll explain the Mbuemo name on the shirt is for him to worry about….) and they can take something into the warm up room to get signed by players.

I think best thing to use is a match day protramme, but I’m slightly at a loss whether I’ll be able to get one as we have to be at entrance C for 315pm. Any idea where I can get a programme from before that time? Do they sell them early doors from the club shop?

also any other (sensible!!) alternative suggestions to a programme welcomed!!
I’m sure they can stretch to giving u a programme just ask,although a long time ago when I was a mascot they gave us 2
 

Programme Sales

None for sale or sold out in the club shop.
Sold out outside the shop.
No pop up merchandise store in the north stand to buy from.
Pain in the ass.
 

Programme Sales

The pop up merch shop hasn’t been there the last couple of games.
 

Programme Sales

There was a programme seller outside the club shop on the the pavement, which I've not seen before. No queue at about 2.20pm.
 

Programme Sales

I remember the good old days when you could buy your programme from behind the bar in the Princess Royal. I assume the Express Tavern doesn’t stock them nowadays?!!
 

Programme Sales

Zero queue yesterday around 2:20pm, seller next to the ticket office.
 

Programme Sales

First programme ever to feature players (all be it cartoons) on the cover from the women's team yesterday? Well done BFC.Great continuing theme to the cover art this season ,looking forward to the one featuring 17,000 fans.
 

Programme Sales

First programme ever to feature players (all be it cartoons) on the cover from the women's team yesterday? Well done BFC.Great continuing theme to the cover art this season ,looking forward to the one featuring 17,000 fans.
Great that the women were on there but it’s the most boring set of front covers since decimalisation.
 

Programme Sales

Great that the women were on there but it’s the most boring set of front covers since decimalisation.

Particularly when it's then duplicated in the centre spread, taking up in total three pages of an already thin offering.
 

Programme Sales

At last got my posted one yesterday before the game, so had a pleasant read
 
Back
Top Bottom