Richie Benaud

eghambee

Active member
Joined
19 Mar 2001
Messages
3,934
Reaction score
2
Location
Egham

Richie Benaud

Dear old Richie is retiring from commentary after the Oval match.

Richie has always been on air since i have been watching cricket, and when i first saw him i thought, 'why does he keep looking at the camera when he answers questions?'.

But Richie has always come across, in Cricket tradition, as a fair minded ,non biased and knowledgable commentator.

Im sure he once said during the 'Botham Ashes' , after seeing a sign asking how he felt, that he loved watching the way England performed and didnt care who won, as long as it was good entertainment.

Another great voice of cricket that will be missed.

:wave:
 

Richie Benaud

40 years he has been commentating, truly THE voice of BBC TV Cricket. He will be missed by me.
 

Richie Benaud

Gutted its the last we'll see or hear from him commentating wise in this country, a legend in the game!

Unlike Tony Greig he's not really biased either, very good at his job and will be missed (well not really as cricket's no longer on channel 4 after the oval game anyway)
 

Richie Benaud

Mr Benaud has a wonderfully understated style, and educates with his knowledge rather than patronises. He always adds to the pleasure of watching cricket on TV. Let's hope his last words on his final commentary are... " And England regain the Ashes"!!!
 

Richie Benaud

His autobiography has just been published I bet that will be a cracking read. Another thing about Richie is that he has not lived through a winter since 1962.
Thanks for the memories Richie. A true legend among commentators.

:sorted: :sorted:
 

Richie Benaud

Richie Benaud was a terrific all-rounder before he became a commentator. Great right-handed leg spinner, top-class fielder and powerful batsman. He had it all.
 
Last edited:

Richie Benaud

California Bee said:
Richie Benaud was a terrific all-rounder before he became a commentator. Great left-handed spinner, top-class fielder and powerful batsman. He had it all.

:nono:

Right-arm leg spin!

:)
 

Richie Benaud

The man is completely irreplaceable. Still, as the ECB have decided that they don't care whether or not people watch cricket after the next fortnight, I think he has chosen the right time to bow out. Always the man whose opinions are most worth listening to.
 

Richie Benaud

so Ed... do you know how much less than the existing deal C4 put on the table???

The ECB took the only decision available to them that protects the future of the England cricket team .... i would think it wholly irresponsible for then to have accepted less than they get now...... How many central contracts will go.......???

I'm sure if C4 had bid a similar amount that they do now then it would have stayed......
Funny but on the one hand C4 say it costs them money to broadcast cricket, and on the other they say "[with Sky] how will they get 20,000 outside a Test ground again".

well its a vicious circle if you are to believe that broadcasting the St Leger on saturday instead of the cricket is a good thing then so be it.

Sky's rights are £52m a year. The offer from C4 (plus Sky's ODIs) was £28m.... well down on the £45m the current deal is worth....
 

Richie Benaud

I thought that C4 had arranged for the Beeb to show the St Leger?

Anyway, you may not agree, but the world is not solely about money. I and millions of others won't be able to watch Test Match cricket on our TVs in future and I think that's a bad thing. Sky TV aren't allowed to buy up the FA Cup Final or Wimbledon and I think they shouldn't be allowed to buy up home Test Matches either.

Sky's money has fu-cked up football and who's to say it won't fu-ck up cricket too?
 

Richie Benaud

I read that C4 don't know where the story came from, but they were showing the Leger at its normal time..

C4 only wanted the major Test series as well... and for that they were willing to pay £11m.
Sky offered £18m for highlights, ODIs and the lesser Tests.
Sky also offered £52m for the whole caboodle. that's a big difference in income...

Why didn't the BBC put in an offer.........

Millions is an exageration............. many households have Sky and a serious cricket lover would have sky for the ODIs and away series....... only 7m watched the grand finale of the cricket on free TV...... thats the maximum that'll ever watch the cricket by the looks of it......... coz it don't get better than the last 3 tests.
 

Richie Benaud

Top Man---Marvellous...........................
 

Richie Benaud

Edmundo said:
I Sky TV aren't allowed to buy up the FA Cup Final or Wimbledon and I think they shouldn't be allowed to buy up home Test Matches either.
They weren't until recently.

I think that Cricket was refused Lottery money and appealed to the government with the common-sense argument that if they are being denied access to Lottery funding why on earth shouldn't they get the maximum revenues from TV.

BTW I think it's only two Wimbledon matches that are "protected" rather than the tournament as a whole.
 

Richie Benaud

The H said:
C4 only wanted the major Test series as well... and for that they were willing to pay £11m.
Sky offered £18m for highlights, ODIs and the lesser Tests.
Sky also offered £52m for the whole caboodle. that's a big difference in income...

Why didn't the BBC put in an offer.........

Millions is an exageration............. many households have Sky and a serious cricket lover would have sky for the ODIs and away series....... only 7m watched the grand finale of the cricket on free TV...... thats the maximum that'll ever watch the cricket by the looks of it......... coz it don't get better than the last 3 tests.

I'm with The H here, and I don't have Sky :cry:

England's success has come on the back of extra funding into the game and the best players getting a proper amount of rest.
Money has made that happen.

I would love cricket to be free to air and it is ironic that had the bidding taken place now it almost certianly would be :banghead:
But a winning England team is more important IMHO.
 

Richie Benaud

Benaud remains a top commentator, though not having seen him for a while I was struck by how aged he looked (not surprising, I suppose, in his mid 70s), but he is bowing out - in England anyway - at the top. Sill going to work in Australia.

Don't know if Sky had made him an offer, but he made it clear that he only wanted to work for free-to-air broadcasters
 

Richie Benaud

The H said:
Millions is an exageration............. many households have Sky and a serious cricket lover would have sky for the ODIs and away series....... only 7m watched the grand finale of the cricket on free TV...... thats the maximum that'll ever watch the cricket by the looks of it......... coz it don't get better than the last 3 tests.
I doubt that millions is an exaggeration and anyway, if cricket is only ever watched by "serious cricket lovers" then I expect it will struggle as the supply of new serious cricket lovers will dwindle. This serious cricket lover does not have Sky, because satellite dishes are not allowed where I live and the cable company's incompetence makes BFC look like a paragon of business virtue. I think the ECB got it wrong and maintain that there is more to this than just money - though our society these days sees little in wrong in letting people with money buy up anything and everything they want. I do agree that the BBC should have put in a bid.
 

Richie Benaud

Brain-dead Bee said:
Don't know if Sky had made him an offer, but he made it clear that he only wanted to work for free-to-air broadcasters

He works for Channel 9 in Australia which is owner by Kerry Packer and competes against Murdoch's Sky brand over there.

I don't think they would allow him to work for Sky (and Murdoch) over here.
 

Richie Benaud

The H said:
only 7m watched the grand finale of the cricket on free TV

Only 7m!! :eek:
That is a huge audience for a Sunday afternoon in August for a programme that lasted hours. How many more also listened to it on the radio?

Sadly test cricket will return to low audiences after the ashes series, because people do not have the same enthusiasm for test cricket against other nations and this is why terrestial tv would not put into larger bids.

:wave:
 

Richie Benaud

It's only the Ashes series that will ever draw these kinds of figures.
 

Richie Benaud

Edmundo said:
I think the ECB got it wrong and maintain that there is more to this than just money -

I recall listening to an senior ECB executive a few weeks ago almost expressing regret that it had gone to Sky and sincerely hoping that terrestial broadcasters would bid in the future. It seems the difference in bids was too vast to ignore.

I personally think it's an own goal unless the additional money is invested in youth cricket to encourage more people to actually play the game.
 

Richie Benaud

Gee Bee said:
Sadly test cricket will return to low audiences after the ashes series, because people do not have the same enthusiasm for test cricket against other nations and this is why terrestial tv would not put into larger bids.

:wave:

it's lucky it's going to Sky then where 250 people can watch it in peace without women asking about "Freddie" and "knowing about lbw's".....

especially with Countdown coming back :wave:
 

Richie Benaud

an absolute legend, sorry to see him go but fair play, he is 75 now and deserves a rest!
 

Richie Benaud

Mr Tree said:
an absolute legend, sorry to see him go but fair play, he is 75 now and deserves a rest!

He's spent he entire life either playing or watching cricket all over the world. He's seen every important bit of international cricket for the last 40.

I don't know about needing a rest but good luck to the man. Lucky bugger.
 

Richie Benaud

Edmundo said:
Anyway, you may not agree, but the world is not solely about money. I and millions of others won't be able to watch Test Match cricket on our TVs in future and I think that's a bad thing. Sky TV aren't allowed to buy up the FA Cup Final or Wimbledon and I think they shouldn't be allowed to buy up home Test Matches either.

Sky's money has fu-cked up football and who's to say it won't fu-ck up cricket too?

I share many of your reservations, but I think Channel 4's committment to cricket has been wavering for a number of years. The fact that it can't guarentee continuous coverage on a saturday afternoon - one of the few occassions during a test match when most people are in a position to actually watch it - and the insistence on ludicrously early starts so as to ensure that late finishes don't disrupt its evening schedule, suggests that its not given Cricket or its followers the respect or the coverage they deserve. Sky, for all its (many) faults will at least be able to provide proper air time, not just for the match itself but the magazine coverage which can further bolster interest in the game. (And I can have another half an hour lie in with a return to 11am starts :bound: :bound: :bound: )
 

Richie Benaud

West Ealing Bee said:
He works for Channel 9 in Australia which is owner by Kerry Packer and competes against Murdoch's Sky brand over there.

I don't think they would allow him to work for Sky (and Murdoch) over here.

He could do the commentary on Beesworld :idea: :fishing:
 

Richie Benaud

The Prophet said:
He could do the commentary on Beesworld :idea: :fishing:
Not a free-to-air broadcaster so RB won't do it - I'm sure there'd be other reasons too :D
 

Richie Benaud

Garybaldbee said:
I share many of your reservations, but I think Channel 4's committment to cricket has been wavering for a number of years. The fact that it can't guarentee continuous coverage on a saturday afternoon - one of the few occassions during a test match when most people are in a position to actually watch it - and the insistence on ludicrously early starts so as to ensure that late finishes don't disrupt its evening schedule, suggests that its not given Cricket or its followers the respect or the coverage they deserve. Sky, for all its (many) faults will at least be able to provide proper air time, not just for the match itself but the magazine coverage which can further bolster interest in the game. (And I can have another half an hour lie in with a return to 11am starts :bound: :bound: :bound: )

I'm genuinely torn about this issue of televising Test Cricket. My instinct is to say that the whole deals stinks and the E(&W)CB have sold generations of fans down the river . . . my father for instance, he'll never get Sky but loves to watch Test Cricket on television.

However, I would share many Garybaldbee's concerns about the quality of TV Coverage of test matches. This is from the perspective of the current Ashes fever whereby cricket is almost the most important event in the sporting calendar (and we have World Cup qualifiers on our doorstep!). Next summer it's Sri Lanka and Pakistan touring England, and frankly I doubt if there will be anything like the same interest. I am also mindful that Chanel 4 dictates on the start and finish times for Test matches is hurting the paying public.
For instance, Old Trafford on Saturday; washed out for the majority of the day, but as the game could go no later than 6pm ('cause Chanel 4 said so), meant many fans were turned away when the sun was shining brightly.
I am also concerned about this habit that Chanel 4 has of cutting into the game to show horse racing.

I think the bottom line has to be that Test Match cricket is very difficult to schedule. Timings can be variable and it can be interrupted for the most vague reasons.

I think Chanel 4's coverage has been excellent in many ways, but there is no disguising the fact that they have been losing their patience. The timings of "Today at the Test" has become something of a joke.

I suppose the question has to be: what will the E(+W)CB do with the extra funds now they have taken the "Murdoch Shilling". If they are going to actively promote the game in the inner cities and beyond to unearth the Freddies and Chris Read's of tomorrow, then I will have no objection. I just fear that it is simply going to trickle down to the counties to recruit more Kolpak players.

I think Sky's coverage is very good, Charles Colville excepted, and they have been very good at covering overseas tours.

I like Ed's point about making Test matches one of the "listed" events, along with Wimbledon and the Grand National . . . the concern has to be that the BBC didn't even bid for Test Match rights in the latest round.
 

Richie Benaud

stedders said:
If they are going to actively promote the game in the inner cities and beyond to unearth the Freddies and Chris Read's of tomorrow, then I will have no objection

lol :fishing: lol

surely, a bit like footy (from my experience), it'll make sky more attractive for people who were considering shelling out for the luxury, and for those who can't, then it's down the boozer for the big match. are there terrestrial highlights? if not, that's a shame, but i don't think it's gonna have a considerable impact on the next generation...
 

Richie Benaud

stedders said:
I like Ed's point about making Test matches one of the "listed" events, along with Wimbledon and the Grand National . . . the concern has to be that the BBC didn't even bid for Test Match rights in the latest round.

This was discussed by government. The logistics of staging a five day event is unattractive to terrestial broadcasters and thus they were reluctant to make it a listed event. I find that a bit off when they all call on digital stations that are underused during the day but
 

Richie Benaud

West Ealing Bee said:
It would make my life easier, but I'm not sure how well the long periods of silence will go down ;)


They can compliment the long periods of sh*t football! :D
 

Richie Benaud

stedders said:
I like Ed's point about making Test matches one of the "listed" events, along with Wimbledon and the Grand National . . . the concern has to be that the BBC didn't even bid for Test Match rights in the latest round.

What happens if Test Matches become listed, the BBC don't bid and Channel 4 pay a pitiful amount to the ECB for their biggest payday?
 

Richie Benaud

The H said:
C5 has highlights... you won't miss it......it'll be between 'Fake Tits Exposed' and 'The Lesbian Chronicles'....

i will miss it, as i'm one of those many people who don't get c5....
 

Richie Benaud

Simon C said:
What happens if Test Matches become listed, the BBC don't bid and Channel 4 pay a pitiful amount to the ECB for their biggest payday?

I think in many ways this is exactly what has happened in the current situation; C4 were the only bidders (of the terrestial variety) and they were known to be lukewarm.
The model of a listed item is only going to work if it is something like an Ashes Test series, I can't see the same level of interest for Sri Lanka next year.
 

Richie Benaud

It was part of his bail conditions that he wasn't allowed to watch such a wicked channel :eek:
 

Richie Benaud

Whats all this free to air stuff?

How much is the TV licence these days? If you dont pay it you cant watch it.

Same as Sky.

Sky are the only reason the Premiership attracts top players as well as wasters.

The only issue with Sky is if they go, there is no investment anywhere like it to bail out the clubs.

:fishing:
 

Richie Benaud

eghambee said:
The only issue with Sky is if they go, there is no investment anywhere like it to bail out the clubs.

:fishing:

Getting a bit off topic, but its less a case of if Sky lose interest and more whether the EU will force the unbundling of the rights. No exclusivity = Much smaller fees.
 

Richie Benaud

nocoat said:
It was part of his bail conditions that he wasn't allowed to watch such a wicked channel :eek:

:laugh:

crap reception :shrug: (mind you, that is cos we have a crap aerial :homer: )
 

Richie Benaud

Channel 9 didnt bid for the Ashes rights here because they thought it would be a non event - instead SBS, the state funded minority TV channel who show a load of ethnic programmes and swedish films, bought them for a pittance and have been having their highest ever ratings
 

Richie Benaud

The thing that I really ****es me off about Sky is that their highlights go on for about 2 hours. This might be fine for people who haven't got families but there is no way I could justify having cricket on between 8 and 10pm five days in a row. I always end up catching snippets on Sky Sports news.

As for Ritchie, he is always both informative and understated. A truly great commentator. I wish him a long and happy retirement.
 
Back
Top Bottom